• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

Jubern

I'm actually playing Maso Kishin III lol
There are three main routes and I'm more than half-way done with Fang's one. Story isn't terribly interesting, but I like the gameplay I guess. It can get pretty frustrating at times though, because you are pretty much always at risk of getting oneshotted.

I'm having fun so I'll finish the route and will probably be done with it.

Yeah, MK III can get a bit brutal at times, with one shotting and all. That's what makes it interesting though and that's also what made me wonder how a no upgrade run would work.
TBH, I didn't delve too much in the underlying mechanics but my impression is that to be perfectly efficient, you'd have to take into account elemental affinities and elevation. Morale also seems to play a way bigger role/have bigger effects than in regular SRW games.

I only did Tutty's route and thought it was pretty good.

Wait, what. Man, we have the opposite definition of short. 10 playable units total over 30 maps? Sounds dragged out and long. If there's only 10 units I'd honestly want a campaign no longer than 15 maps total.
10 units was pretty much what I expected TBH. If you look at Shu's route in EX, all you do is a recruit a few bad guys from various series and add Monica, Terius and Saphine. It's not like they could have fit 20 original characters in Dark Prison, given everyone was already shown as pretty busy on Ryune's and Masaki's routes.
To be fair, the appeal of Shu's route in EX was the smaller roster and how you blew through your enemies with fewer guys.

Not sure about the 30 maps though, hope it doesn't feel too decompressed.

cl05FvT.jpg

My copy came today. The foil-embossed trading card has the Dark Prison download code on the back.

Dark Prison is a 4GB download, by the way.

Japan-made cartoon series, so live-action stuff won't clash even more with the rest than different series already do between each other?

Obari's supposedly a big fan of the movie, I'm sure he'd jump at the chance to get involved in something like that. And crazier things have happened. I'm immediately reminded of the Crackdown 2 and Mass Effect animated productions -

- y'know what? Maybe we don't really need Pacific Rim in Super Robot Wars.

Jubern

Come on you know you want Pacific Rim in SRW. Do I need to remind me we'd be getting new pilots voiced by Sugita, Hayashibara or Ikeda? :p

Loona

Come on you know you want Pacific Rim in SRW. Do I need to remind me we'd be getting new pilots voiced by Sugita, Hayashibara or Ikeda? :p

I'd rather get Megas XLR first, if a western production were to be included.

And it'd need a Big Red Button final attack with a random effect.

Jubern

So it's decided, PR, get Terada on the line ;p

Gipsy Danger v. Obari, Striker Eureka v. Katoki and the Russian yaeger v. Okawara.

IMAGINE.

---

On another note, MK3's price really can't stop falling. Just found it for 999¥ new at a Geo. poor thing.

Jubern

Holy shit at the sales of Infinite Battle: less than 23k including the Dark Prison limited edition. After Maso Kishin III, that's the second horrible in a row for BB Studio.

Holy shit at the sales of Infinite Battle: less than 23k including the Dark Prison limited edition. After Maso Kishin III, that's the second horrible in a row for BB Studio.

I gladly bought it, but it really can't be that surprising. It's a fighting game coming out a couple months before Full Boost.

Shouta

So it's decided, PR, get Terada on the line ;p

Gipsy Danger v. Obari, Striker Eureka v. Katoki and the Russian yaeger v. Okawara.

IMAGINE.

---

On another note, MK3's price really can't stop falling. Just found it for 999¥ new at a Geo. poor thing.

I would love those mecha designers to do their personal takes on those mchs, lol.

Also MK3 is 1000? Well fuck, that's cheap lol. I should get it.

23k? ... damn

Bebpo

Banned
23k is fine for a F-quality no budget action game that they're selling for full price with a $30 DLC to a different game.

Plus I bet 3/4ths of SRW fans who are interested in Dark Prison are just waiting for it to be DLC like DLC should be.

If they fleshed out Dark Prison with more content (new units) and released it as a standalone 2nd OG Gaiden for 5800-6800yen, it probably could've sold around 100k lifetime. It's probably fine though since I doubt the Dark Prison team was more than a few people for a year while the bulk of that team has been working on 3rd OGs during the same timeframe.

Shouta

Yeah, I don't expect too many folks to have been working on Dark Prison at all. That's the ideal DLC situation too. A year after the game was released, using the assets and all that from it with minimum manpower to get it done.

Gonna try out Dark Prison and Infinite Battle tonight after my daughter goes to bed. Last night was marathoning the last 4 eps of Build Fighters.

So.... Infinite Battle...

Jankfest. Controls are really bad. This isn't a Gundam Vs. clones as that series handles well.

This also doesn't reuse ACE:R assets. It looks an uprezzed PS2 game.

I knew what I was getting myself into, but wow. Janky as fuck.

Started Dark Prison, went through the first five stages and it's definitely a mix of EX and OG 2nd.

Basically, so far I could probably blow through everything only using Shu. But, and I guess that's the interesting twist, the skill points seem downright harder than in OG. I was replaying through Masaki's route on EX hard last week and the points were a walk in the park while on the first few missions of this one on normal, a couple of points have actually given me some trouble.

I guess the game itself will stay easy but it would be nice to have actually rewarding Skill points.

I haven't touched Infinite Battle lol.

Less than 23 hours to go until the Christmas eve event.

My money is still on Z3 (safe bet, I know) and maayyybe some ports or anime.

I kind of wonder if they'd go the dual version way with Z3. Well, we'll know soon enough.

Hoping for Unicorn rather than Age on the Gundam front. I also wish they'd bring back Dunbine and did some L-Gaim/FFS crossover stuff but that's wishful thinking.

CorvoSol

I kind of wonder if they'd go the dual version way with Z3. Well, we'll know soon enough.

Hoping for Unicorn rather than Age on the Gundam front. I also wish they'd bring back Dunbine and did some L-Gaim/FFS crossover stuff but that's wishful thinking.

Oh dude, Unicorn instead of AGE is like Christmas vs your execution.

Bebpo

Banned
Not getting my hopes up for z3 or a HQ licensed srw. Z2 wasn't that long ago and we've been getting ogs and loes for a while.

At this point I'd take another UX like game and be happy.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

Well... if a game its announced, its probably a Playstation platform, because this:

http://commu.jp.playstation.com/blog/details/20131216_srw_xmas.html

That's not a guarantee, mind you, but its just highly likely.

Jubern

They are hyping it quite a bit and calling it an important announcement + there are actually guest stars coming on the show, so I'm fairly sure it's going to be either Z3 or OG3. I expect Z3 more since it's been a year and half since Z2-2's release. They don't have to work on a new engine (OG2nd) or spend time downgrading an existing one (Z2) this time, I can't see the development of those game taking as much time as their predecessors.

If Z3 is announced I'd like Unicorn to be included but I'm not holding my breath since the anime isn't over yet...

Shouta

Not getting my hopes up for z3 or a HQ licensed srw. Z2 wasn't that long ago and we've been getting ogs and loes for a while.

At this point I'd take another UX like game and be happy.

It'll be 2 years since Saisei-hen released in a few months (3 since Z). I think Z3 might be in the cards. It was 3 years between Z and Z2 as well.

Dark Prison was decent. Most stages are good with a bit of grunt filler. It's similar to 2nd OG except you have a tiny roster and any unit loss at any time = game over. The execution is tougher, but you have less crap to sort through during intermission. There are less freebie SR points unlike most of 2nd OG.

Bebpo

Banned
It'll be 2 years since Saisei-hen released in a few months (3 since Z). I think Z3 might be in the cards. It was 3 years between Z and Z2 as well.

Just depends on how the splitting of the games affected development. If you went from Hakai-hen, it's time for Z3. But if you went from Saisei-hen Z3 would be 2015.

Then again with SRW they can announce Z3 for mid-2014 and then delay it until 2015 a few months before release.

Loona

If Z3 is announced on a system that's not region-licked and with Ideon in the cast list - not necessarily in that order of importance.

Weird date for announcements though, one would expect people's minds to be too busy elsewhere to pay attention...

Again, I'd be surprised if this wasn't Z3:

zhX2ZUf.jpg

And I doubt they'd hype a non-mainline (Z or OG) or spinoff title this much.

As for Unicorn, won't all the episodes be out by the time this releases?

Edit: less than an hour to go. Excite!

Edit 2: okay, Z3 PS3/PSV confirmed by Famitsu.

Series list (with more to unveil):

Famitsu this week reveals the latest entry in the Super Robot Wars series to be 3rd Super Robot Wars Z Jigoku Henfor PlayStation 3 and PS Vita.

Due out on April 10 in Japan, the game offers 32 participating works.

26 have been confirmed:

Trider G7
Tetsujin 28-Go
Six God Combination Godmars
Armored Trooper Votoms
Super Dimension Century Orguss
Z Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack
Gundam W Endless Waltz
Gunam 00 A Wakening of the Trailblazer
Gundam Unicorn
Gunbuster
Macross 7
Dynamite
Macross Frontier: Itsuwari no Utahime
Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa
Getter Robo Armageddon
Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z Hen
Dai-Guard
The Big O
Full Metal Panic
Juso Kiko Dancouga Nova
Gurren Lagann
Evangelion Shin Gekijou-ban Jo-Ha
Code Geass
Aquarion EVOL
3rd Super Robot Wars Z will also feature cross save.

http://gematsu.com/2013/12/3rd-super-robot-wars-z-announced-ps3-ps-vita#oyCT8qdlf4gPMpX5.99

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
So only new mechs are from Gainax?

Unicorn is new, wasnt in a previous SRW game.

Gunbuster, not new to SRW itself, but new to the Z-series.

Aquarion EVOL is new (they've been using Aquarion).

Full Metal Panic, used in a previous SRW, but new to the Z-series.

And while yes, overused as much as any Gundam, Endless Waltz is new in the Z-verse (they never covered that storyline before).

00 Trailblazer is new to the series, I think, they havent covered that portion of the storyline yet.

And EVA is new to the Z-series.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm just annoyed since the cut mecha are the ones I use alot.

I'm sad now :/

Oh well, I guess I have to expect "non-main" SRW to provide my niche, old titles.

And Trailblazer was used for 3DS.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just annoyed since the cut mecha are the ones I use alot.

I'm sad now :/

Oh well, I guess I have to expect "non-main" SRW to provide my niche, old titles.

And Trailblazer was used for 3DS.

I know, I forgot to put in "new to the Z-series" :p

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Managed to watch some of the new trailer.

Amuro's got his ReGZ, and from the beginning of the trailer, looks like they're gonna drop something on Earth, and it splits down the middle, and I think its Amuro's VA talking. Looks like they're actually going to do Char's Counterattack. This would help explain why Unicorn is in the game.

EVERYTHING LOOKS AWESOME, BTW, AND I'LL BE GETTING THIS ON THE PS3, BECAUSE IT DESERVES BIG GLORIOUS HD TV SCREEN.

zeroshiki

They redid alot of the animations. I noticed Guren Lagann has new animations and it even shows Simon with the Kamina glasses. This is gonna be the greatest thing ever.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
They redid alot of the animations. I noticed Guren Lagann has new animations and it even shows Simon with the Kamina glasses. This is gonna be the greatest thing ever.

Well, they probably had to. They're moving up from PS2/PSP graphics up to PS3/Vita graphics. It BETTER look like they actually put some effort into it, otherwise, there would be a riot.

Top Bottom