• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

Yeah, even the official SRW Team Twitter account barely talked about it, it's ridiculous.

Not buying it anyway, what little hype I had for this totally deflated after release and it's too expensive IMO.

Look around for the SRW fighting game LE. I saw that on clearance for less than the DLC.

CorvoSol

Played some more SRW MX. If nothing else at least I can bask in the presence of Domon and Judau, who are sadly absent from SRWZ.

Bebpo

Banned
Looking at the SRW sales, you can really see how the series has a problem. Year after year the sales of SRW are declining which is at odds with each new entry being more expensive if you want more detailed sprites and more animations.

The series was doing ~400k-ish starts during the PS2 days. Which dropped down to ~350k by Z1, and ~300k by Z2-1 so Namco figured "By splitting a mainline SRW in half, it probably costs 1.25-1.5x the cost of a normal game and we get 2x the profit", so as it fell to ~250k with Z2-2, combined Z2-1 & Z2-2 was more like 550k for what probably didn't cost a whole lot more than Z1 did on its own. But it still showed sales were on a decline, so they were probably more cautious with Z3's budget, and they were right (sales-wise at least) because Z3-1 is opening at around 280k and I wouldn't be surprised if following Z2-1 -> Z2-2's pattern, Z3-2 opens around 230k, which means combined they're doing a ~500k opening for Z3.

But obviously, Z1 and Z2's sprites and crazy animation quality was not cheap. So the question is if 500k opening -> ~750k lifetime with sales falling by about 30-50k an entry is going to keep being worth it for scamco.

The DLC will probably help a lot, because now if you want the "full Z3 experience" you'll need 2 games at 8000yen each + probably 4000yen of DLC each. So they could be looking at 750k lifetime sales for Z3, but at a much higher profit per copy than Alpha 3 or Z3.

So...for now by splitting the games in half and adding DLC, Scamco has probably kept the SRW mainline series profitable enough for the next half decade to justify big budget nice looking and nice sounding SRW (hopefully Z3-1 was just a rushed and isn't indicative of a drop in production quality. We'll see in Z3-2).

However if they're looking in the longterm of 10-20 years from now...the series is on its way out. There's not much more they can do to squeeze profit from the games at this point. Splitting them into 3 parts would probably pad them so much they'd lose fans, and any more than 24-30 maps for DLC would be kind of crazy. So from this point on the mainline profits are just going to drop and drop until the series is selling 100k, at which point the costs of licensing, voice actors, animations...won't be justifiable.

It's sad but the new generation of kids growing up in Japan playing pokemon and yokai watch don't seem to be interested in SRW. Maybe it's because mecha anime's become much less popular in the last decade so they haven't grown up on mecha. But the fanbase for SRW seems to be the same fanbase from the last 15 years who are just shrinking in number over time.

I know they add stuff like Miku to try to draw non-SRW fans in, but UX sales showed it didn't work. Not really sure how they can get more people in. Z2 had very popular series, great animations, was extremely accessible, but it still saw a decline.

I feel like Japan as a whole needs a couple Gundam Seed sized mecha anime hits once again to get kids into mecha and then have that be featured in SRW a few years later to help uptick sales again.

Looking at the SRW sales, you can really see how the series has a problem. Year after year the sales of SRW are declining which is at odds with each new entry being more expensive if you want more detailed sprites and more animations.

Z3 sold about as much as Z2-2. At least this entry is not another step in the decline.

Bebpo

Banned
Z3 sold about as much as Z2-2. At least this entry is not another step in the decline.

Not a good comparison. Z2-1 -> Z2-2 dropped because people don't want to start with Z2-2 if they haven't played Z2-1, so you don't gain players, only lose them.

Z3-1 is a new entry that players can start from. Z3-2 will have a similar drop. Z2-1 -> Z3-1 is about a 20-30k drop in players.

Not a good comparison. Z2-1 -> Z2-2 dropped because people don't want to start with Z2-2 if they haven't played Z2-1, so you don't gain players, only lose them.
But it didn't suffer a 60K decline like Z2 did from Z1

Z3-1 is a new entry that players can start from. Z3-2 will have a similar drop. Z2-1 -> Z3-1 is about a 20-30k drop in players.

Actually its closer to 100K drop from Z2-1 right now.

Bebpo

Banned
Actually its closer to 100K drop from Z2-1 right now.

Nah. Z2-1 opened at 307k, Z3-1 opened at 270k + digital sales. Probably only about a 20-30k drop in players from Z2-1->Z3-1. It's not bad and yeah, it's a smaller drop than Z1->Z2-1, but it's still a drop and the player base for mainline SRW is getting smaller each entry.

If Z4-1 is 240
Z5-1 210
Z6-1 180
Z7-1 150

Eventually the number is just going to get too small to be considerable worthwhile since scamco only cares about profits and making more and more money. Something needs to happen if we want to see SRW stay at the quality of Z2 and 2nd OGs. Otherwise we're going to live in a world where mainline SRWs all animate like FMP sprites in Z3.

Lucis

The series was doing ~400k-ish starts during the PS2 days. Which dropped down to ~350k by Z1, and ~300k by Z2-1 so Namco figured "By splitting a mainline SRW in half, it probably costs 1.25-1.5x the cost of a normal game and we get 2x the profit", so as it fell to ~250k with Z2-2, combined Z2-1 & Z2-2 was more like 550k for what probably didn't cost a whole lot more than Z1 did on its own. But it still showed sales were on a decline, so they were probably more cautious with Z3's budget, and they were right (sales-wise at least) because Z3-1 is opening at around 280k and I wouldn't be surprised if following Z2-1 -> Z2-2's pattern, Z3-2 opens around 230k, which means combined they're doing a ~500k opening for Z3.

But obviously, Z1 and Z2's sprites and crazy animation quality was not cheap. So the question is if 500k opening -> ~750k lifetime with sales falling by about 30-50k an entry is going to keep being worth it for scamco.

The DLC will probably help a lot, because now if you want the "full Z3 experience" you'll need 2 games at 8000yen each + probably 4000yen of DLC each. So they could be looking at 750k lifetime sales for Z3, but at a much higher profit per copy than Alpha 3 or Z3.

So...for now by splitting the games in half and adding DLC, Scamco has probably kept the SRW mainline series profitable enough for the next half decade to justify big budget nice looking and nice sounding SRW (hopefully Z3-1 was just a rushed and isn't indicative of a drop in production quality. We'll see in Z3-2).

However if they're looking in the longterm of 10-20 years from now...the series is on its way out. There's not much more they can do to squeeze profit from the games at this point. Splitting them into 3 parts would probably pad them so much they'd lose fans, and any more than 24-30 maps for DLC would be kind of crazy. So from this point on the mainline profits are just going to drop and drop until the series is selling 100k, at which point the costs of licensing, voice actors, animations...won't be justifiable.

It's sad but the new generation of kids growing up in Japan playing pokemon and yokai watch don't seem to be interested in SRW. Maybe it's because mecha anime's become much less popular in the last decade so they haven't grown up on mecha. But the fanbase for SRW seems to be the same fanbase from the last 15 years who are just shrinking in number over time.

I know they add stuff like Miku to try to draw non-SRW fans in, but UX sales showed it didn't work. Not really sure how they can get more people in. Z2 had very popular series, great animations, was extremely accessible, but it still saw a decline.

I feel like Japan as a whole needs a couple Gundam Seed sized mecha anime hits once again to get kids into mecha and then have that be featured in SRW a few years later to help uptick sales again.

Had an awesome day, did nothing and got a raise,

now you just ruined my day =(

But I think your point of kids no longer growing up with mech anime is a huge one.

But I would imagine the old fan base would still remain.

As for Z3-1 I knew most of the series, they didn't have anything tooooo new and edge (EVOL? LOL) All the other "new" series are pretty main stream. There are a lot of new shows that I can see that will fit well into SRW. Star Driver? The new Captain Earth is def a candidate.

zeroshiki

The last 2 big mecha anime SEED and Geass was heavily propped up by fujoshi and I have a hard time believing they play SRW games in any significant number so unless they get something truly groundbreaking SRW will turn into a niche strategy game featuring mecha.

Basically, what I'm saying is that the anime world probably needs a big breakout mecha hit right about now.

CorvoSol

The last 2 big mecha anime SEED and Geass was heavily propped up by fujoshi and I have a hard time believing they play SRW games in any significant number so unless they get something truly groundbreaking SRW will turn into a niche strategy game featuring mecha.

Basically, what I'm saying is that the anime world probably needs a big breakout mecha hit right about now.

So what you're saying is the robots themselves need to be fujoshi bait?

Time to adapt kissplayers into something along these lines then, I suppose.

Considering the shows that have aired for the last few months, we might as well call a TOD now.

So what you're saying is the robots themselves need to be fujoshi bait?

Time to adapt kissplayers into something along these lines then, I suppose.

Takara would totally do something like that. They'd just have to determine whether to replace the human leads with people that look like they're past puberty, or to ditch them altogether and pair up the robots.

It's not just less young people interested in robot anime but less young people in Japan in general. Population decline and all that. SRW is still going strong considering what happened to most traditional JP tactics series.

Loona

Between the likes of Tekkaman an VO Miku, the range of what's accepted for SRW is kinda wide.

Declare the Kill La Kill outfits sort-of-powered-armor to include them and the series gets to live a bit longer.

Lucis

Between the likes of Tekkaman an VO Miku, the range of what's accepted for SRW is kinda wide.

Declare the Kill La Kill outfits sort-of-powered-armor to include them and the series gets to live a bit longer.

Then I'd rather SRW die with grace

CorvoSol

Takara would totally do something like that. They'd just have to determine whether to replace the human leads with people that look like they're past puberty, or to ditch them altogether and pair up the robots.

Kamille has to kiss the Zeta Gundam in order to activate his Newtype powers.

CorvoSol

Zeta's bloodlust can only be satisfied by dead girlfriends, potential love interests, and women in general.

That's not going to satisfy the fujoshi's bloodlust, though! Now, if Zeta is an abusive dominant boyfriend to Kamille who does all of those things, then the fujoshi will be all over it!

That's not going to satisfy the fujoshi's bloodlust, though! Now, if Zeta is an abusive dominant boyfriend to Kamille who does all of those things, then the fujoshi will be all over it!

That's not how it works. You pander to multiple groups at once.

The Zeta/Kamille romance can pander to the gundam philes like Setsuna's love plot in 00. The Fujoshi can have Quattro as the older dominant partner taking Kamille under his wing and teaching him that having a girls name is A OK.

CorvoSol

That's not how it works. You pander to multiple groups at once.

The Zeta/Kamille romance can pander to the gundam philes like Setsuna's love plot in 00. The Fujoshi can have Quattro as the older dominant partner taking Kamille under his wing and teaching him that having a girls name is A OK.

I see I see. What we really need is a third SEED show. This time we'll butcher ZZ Gundam and include these elements. Roux? Elle? Naaaah. Judau's canon love interests will be the ZZ and Beecha. Beecha's attempts to sell Judau out will get flanderized into "I love you therefore I must kill you." LOTS OF CRYING WILL ENSUE. Murrue Ramius will let the Judautype aboard after he steals chickens and oranges to build his own Gundam. Haman/Lacus will be the only reasonable character in the show and her viewpoint will be levelheaded and just. For 25 episodes. And then when she tries to hook up with Judau and break up the Judau x Beecha ship she will immediately degenerate into the bitch queen the fujoshi know she truly is.

Ok now send that to Bandai so they can get it animated. Then Banpresto can pair up that monstrosity with ZZ for the new mainline series SRW XY.

Jaeger

Garmraid Blaze. Hugo's version would be nice (can't remember the letter, lol).

Oh wait, brainfart. the Xexbein has too many sliders is the issue. It looks like a spikeball. I'm misremembering it because I don't really use it as much as I do other units. It might look ok if they dropped the positioning of the sword so it didn't stick out.

Sorry I took so long. In all honesty, I absolutely forgot you requested it. ENjoy, Shouta!

9a8J94Y3.png
uXZb3Dpc.png
kk8LQEMm.png

CorvoSol

Ok now send that to Bandai so they can get it animated. Then Banpresto can pair up that monstrosity with ZZ for the new mainline series SRW XY.

Animate this? Please. Hirai will do 4 new hairstyles, and computer technology will impose those atop old SEED and Destiny scenes, which will be used, combined with digitally added new dialogue, to build the cheapest new Gundam series in the history of ever.

If possible we'll call the mech the Double Destiny Gundam.

Tsukumo

Well, they are actually bringing the saga to an end. I hope that once "Mazo"kishin closes they'll take the Winkysoft team and get them on OGS, they have better writers and a better handle on difficulty.

Bebpo

Banned
They cost like nothing to make so I can see why they keep pumping them out.

Well, Masaki and crew will have a lot of material for OGs!

Jubern

According to the leaks, Masou Kishin F is only for PS3, no Vita. WTF... I realize MK III didn't do very well but why cut Vita at this point?

CorvoSol

I am sorry but the name for the upgrade if it ever exists has to be Manifest Destiny and that's final.

Shinn will pilot the Manifest Destiny, but his successor and new pilot of this new show will pilot the Double Destiny until midway through the season when he will upgrade to the Hi-Double Destiny Custom

Welp the super special limited edition of Masou Kishin F is already sold out on amiami. Isn't available anywhere else except AHAHAHAHAHAplayasiaAHAHAHAHAHA. Good luck to everyone that wants it I guess.

Bebpo

Banned
So, from what I've played/heard:

LoE2 is a long, easy mostly filler story and nothing really happens besides upgrades.
LoE3 is a long brokenly difficult story that's fairly filler as well.

So, if F is actually a important story since it's the finale of LoE, I wonder if you can skip LoE2&3 and save yourself 150-200 hours and jump into F.

I'm surpised to see that it's mostly subtitled.

Concerning Amara,
does this take place after 2nd OGS?

Considering 2nd OGs didn't even finish covering LoE1 (although I haven't played Dark Prison, so maybe they finished LoE1) and then there's LoE2 & LoE3 before this...yeah this is going to be covered in like 6th OGs.

Shouta

2nd OGs bridged the gap between 1st and 2nd LOE that's covered in the first PSP remake. as I recall. It's already in the regular OGs universe so it's not likely to be covered directly by the OG games, I think.

LMN

Just watch Masou Kishin F 1st trailer, for some reason I have some crazy idea after watching it, just to throw its out there, spoiler of cos,

If this game really going to have some connection to Z series, I feel Asakim = Masaki is a red herring, after I saw this new character, "Sakito Asagi". His design kinda scream "evil", and I feel he some what resemble Asakim a little bit. Just pure speculation of mine.

Bebpo

Banned
2nd OGs bridged the gap between 1st and 2nd LOE that's covered in the first PSP remake. as I recall. It's already in the regular OGs universe so it's not likely to be covered directly by the OG games, I think.

LoE1's plot was like this when I played:

1st half = Intro -> War of 3 kingdoms, some cult stuff, ends with giant explosion, Masaki goes off to real world.
2nd half = A little more war, Resurrected evil god rears his head, going around to fight his cult and take him out
w/Masaki & Shu.

2nd OGs 17 maps only covered the 3 kingdoms war. I think Dark Prison covered the Evil God story though, so 2nd OGs + DP probably covered all of LoE1.

Even though LoE takes place in OG-verse right now, I think they're still going to cover LoE2/3/F in OGs. Because even though the LoE1 remake on DS/PSP was set in OG-verse...2nd OGs still covered it.

Shouta

LoE1's plot was like this when I played:

1st half = Intro -> War of 3 kingdoms, some cult stuff, ends with giant explosion, Masaki goes off to real world.
2nd half = A little more war, Resurrected evil god rears his head, going around to fight his cult and take him out
w/Masaki & Shu.

2nd OGs 17 maps only covered the 3 kingdoms war. I think Dark Prison covered the Evil God story though, so 2nd OGs + DP probably covered all of LoE1.

Even though LoE takes place in OG-verse right now, I think they're still going to cover LoE2/3/F in OGs. Because even though the LoE1 remake on DS/PSP was set in OG-verse...2nd OGs still covered it.

No, what I mean is that LoE1 Remake has two chapters. 2nd OGs fits inbetween those. LoE1 + 2nd OGs is the complete LoE1 experience which means that it's already occurring simultaneously alongside the rest of the OG series. If the LOE games don't mention the OGs plot at all then it's unlikely to be done directly in another OGs game. We know they're connected because Armala shows up in the trailer with Galigagnant. She's a 2nd OGs char.

Top Bottom