• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

Bebpo

Banned
No, what I mean is that LoE1 Remake has two chapters. 2nd OGs fits inbetween those. LoE1 + 2nd OGs is the complete LoE1 experience which means that it's already occurring simultaneously alongside the rest of the OG series. If the LOE games don't mention the OGs plot at all then it's unlikely to be done directly in another OGs game. We know they're connected because Armala shows up in the trailer with Galigagnant. She's a 2nd OGs char.

That actually makes a lot of sense. I didn't remember LoE1's plot much (since it was very forgettable) so I just assumed the LoE plot in 2nd OGs was covering the first half of LoE1's war stuff.

Having OGs and 2nd OGs happen before the 2nd half of LoE works and explains why the LoE world story-stuff in 2nd OGs felt so bland and a fillerish way to re-introduce the cast.

So since they are basically running parallel, when 3rd OGs comes out and Masaki shows up, he'll be the Masaki from either:

1. Still pre-2nd half LoE1
2. Post LoE1
3. Post LoE2
4. Post LoE3
5. Post LoEF

Since he's got some new upgrades that they'll want to bring into OGs most likely, I'm guessing it'll be post-LoE2 at aleast? And he'll just show up and explain "yeah, I got these upgrades while I was away in a different game".

But then again why is Armala in LoEF is 2nd OGs is taking place waaaaaaay before LoEF since it's taking place before LoE1 even finishes?

Bebpo

Banned
Effectively 2nd OGs happens after the 1st game since the first section of the game is the ending of LoE 1.

The final stage/ending of LoE1 is
Masaki and Co + Good Guy Shu working together to fight evil priest Riozoru with a fully resurrected evil god. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5NsWSqQQdg [last minute])

Wasn't the ending of the first section of 2nd OGs
Defeating the giant gundam looking mech and stopping the war.

Those are two very different arcs.

Those are two very different arcs.
Yes the first game has multiple endings.

Edit: The whole LoE thing is confusing since I didn't follow it right off the bat from the 90s. There is SRW EX which had 3 separate based on characters Masaki, Lune, and Shuu. 2nd OGs covers all of them when you include Dark Prison I believe.

In LoE1 they took the plot from that game and crammed it all into one I guess?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Yes the first game has multiple endings.

Edit: The whole LoE thing is confusing since I didn't follow it right off the bat from the 90s. There is SRW EX which had 3 separate based on characters Masaki, Lune, and Shuu. 2nd OGs covers all of them when you include Dark Prison I believe.

In LoE1 they took the plot from that game and crammed it all into one I guess?

No, LoE1 (I assume you meant the one on the 3DS/PSP) is a remake of the SNES game.

The original plot line for the original SRW universe is suppose to be:

SRW 1 -> LoE 1st half -> SRW 2 -> SRW 3 -> SRW EX -> SRW 4/F/F-Final -> LoE 2nd half

Edit: I'm not really sure if its suppose to even be counted in the original storyline, but there's also the Cybaster/Masoukishin game that came out on the PS1, the one based on the anime no one in their right mind is willing to watch. Its suppose to definitely take place after LoE, but like I said, I don't know (don't think) its suppose to be considered canon for the original storyline.

Bebpo

Banned
So what would everyone's dream cast of 15 series for the next NEW mainline SRW in 3-4 years after Z3-2? Let's assume Z3-2 has E7 Ao & Diebuster (possibly Star Driver too) and that they're never going to do Gundam AGE in a mainline game. Also it has to be plausible, so stuff like ZoE is probably not going to happen :(

For me it'd be:

New stuff:
1. Valvrave
2. G Reconquista
3. Gundam Build Fighters
4. Gundam The Origin (because they hardly ever do 0079 and using The Origin version is somewhat new)
5. Majestic Prince
6. Gargantia
7. Captain Earth
8. Macross Zero

Old stuff/Handheld only/previously incomplete in SRW:
9. Giant Robo
10. Escaflowne
11. New Jeeg
12. Gun x Sword
13. Eva Rebuild (since if 4.0 comes out anytime soon they'll want to do 1.0->4.0 in the next mainline to cover 4.0)
14. Mazinkaiser SKL
15. Shin Getter Robo

Runners Up: V Gundam, F91 Gundam, L Gaim, Dunbine TV+Wings of Rean, Big O (just cause Giant Robo + Big O combination attack would be amazing).

Wonder if we'll finally be past the phase where they feel like they have to include a SEED entry. If not, maybe they can do a manga spinoff like Astray instead of Destiny for the billionth time.

Hmm, you know, looking at the new shows since Z2/Z3 and the ones airing this year...that's actually not a bad lineup if they get a bunch of that in for SRW X1-1 or whatever. Could be a pretty refreshing lineup full of new stuff. Just hope they still have enough budget to do nice animations by 2017/2018!

Bebpo

Banned
What goes "BGM Keep / Change" mean in the options menu of SRT OG1?

Change = everytime a unit attacks (with demo scene = on) it switches the BGM to start playing their theme song.
Keep = keeps the current BGM playing even if other units attack.

Think that's correct. Never used keep myself.

Teknoman

Change = everytime a unit attacks (with demo scene = on) it switches the BGM to start playing their theme song.
Keep = keeps the current BGM playing even if other units attack.

Think that's correct. Never used keep myself.

Ah gotcha, now I just need to figure out what all the different stats mean, and so on. Wish I had the manual lol.

Teknoman

The GBA version? You should look into getting the PS2 version (OG1 and 2) if you can.

Yeah the GBA version, it hit my mailbox about early this afternoon, and i've taken my SP with me everywhere since then lol.

I'd really like to, but there is something that bugs me about having to refer to a printed script while playing the game.

Of course, I end up seeing a video of Cybuster's attacks from that version, and then that makes me question myself.

Teknoman

Is it pretty easy to follow along with a script, or is that even fun? I mean I know i'm in it for the tactical action and extremely flashy attacks, but just curious. Same with stuff like the PS3 games.

Is it pretty easy to follow along with a script, or is that even fun? I mean I know i'm in it for the tactical action and extremely flashy attacks, but just curious. Same with stuff like the PS3 games.

I've played both the GBA games but I haven't played any of the console games with a script so I can't really comment on that.

Here's Cybuster's attacks from the PS3 version (2nd OGS) in case you were looking.

The PS2 game covers the first two GBA games with some changes here and there. Then there's OG Gaiden that continues the story followed by 2nd OGS on the PS3. If you really want to understand what's being said but don't understand Japanese than reading along with a script is likely your only choice. I only know a little (can read katakana/hiragana plus some basic sentence structure and some kanji) so most of the story is lost on me. Luckily there are plenty of people on here and other forums that are happy to distill the various plot points into decently sized posts.

Teknoman

Yeah thats the video that made me end up typing up a proposal of sorts to Xseed and NIS. Of course that probably wont help, but still lol.

Bebpo

Banned
Tried using Amazon imports for the first time and ordered Masoukishin 3 PS3 for $20 USD new and just got it today like 5 days later.

I'm impressed!

Used to think the only way to get bomba bin games at bomba bin prices was to keep a list of bomba games and pick them up for $10-20 each next time I visit Japan since P-A/NCSX and stuff never drop their prices. But importing from Japanese game stores through Amazon is surprisingly easy and the prices are pretty decent!

Might grab Gundam Vs Full Boost for $56 new; not cheap but for importing it's not bad!

Bebpo

Banned
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CPZW4XO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

For example. Just click on "new" or "used" offers. I went with the first store on "new" for $16 + 4 shipping = $20.25 and with one click it ordered, shipped a day or two later and then arrived a week later.

There's so many Japanese "stores" of people in Japan selling stuff internationally on Amazon now. If you don't need an import game day 1, it's definitely the best way for a person not in Japan to wait and grab the games for cheaper. Most of the sellers have 95% or higher ratings. It's nice because unlike the normal import stores that never change their prices, the prices on amazon reflecting the price in Japan for the games as time goes on.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CPZW4XO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

For example. Just click on "new" or "used" offers. I went with the first store on "new" for $16 + 4 shipping = $20.25 and with one click it ordered, shipped a day or two later and then arrived a week later.

There's so many Japanese "stores" of people in Japan selling stuff internationally on Amazon now. If you don't need an import game day 1, it's definitely the best way for a person not in Japan to wait and grab the games for cheaper. Most of the sellers have 95% or higher ratings. It's nice because unlike the normal import stores that never change their prices, the prices on amazon reflecting the price in Japan for the games as time goes on.

I actually bought some anime Blu-rays that way for less than what stores in Japan were asking.

Acosta

Hey guys,

I'm running with my old project to play Z2 trilogy, playing Z2-1 at the moment. But I have a kinda stupid question:

I have no idea how to form Dancougar and Godmars, I got Godmars in a chapter but I have no idea how to reform again (I just can play with the little robot of its head). And same for Dancougar, I have it listed in my list of Super Robots and I can improve it, but I can't find a way to actually form it in battle. I had no problem to form Gurren Lagan, but those two are a mystery for me.

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys,

I'm running with my old project to play Z2 trilogy, playing Z2-1 at the moment. But I have a kinda stupid question:

I have no idea how to form Dancougar and Godmars, I got Godmars in a chapter but I have no idea how to reform again (I just can play with the little robot of its head). And same for Dancougar, I have it listed in my list of Super Robots and I can improve it, but I can't find a way to actually form it in battle. I had no problem to form Gurren Lagan, but those two are a mystery for me.

Thanks in advance.
They should gain a command that allows them to combine once they reach 130 morale.

Shouta

Both Dancougar Nova and Godmars have Will/Morale requirements. You need to hit like 130+ and then an option opens up to use form their powered up versions.

Teknoman

Im so close to just importing some of the PS3 games, especially after seeing how the plot makes no sense in english either lol. Its the gameplay, music, and crazy attacks keeping me going.

Shouta

Im so close to just importing some of the PS3 games, especially after seeing how the plot makes no sense in english either lol. Its the gameplay, music, and crazy attacks keeping me going.

Plot makes sense in English but if you're not interested in all of it it doesn't matter lol.

Well I mean i'm interested in the plot of any game I play for the most part, but it doesnt seem like its the main selling point, like Project X Zone.

Well the plot won't really be a main selling point for someone who can't read Japanese. I'd say it's half and half.

A decent challenge mixed with awesome animations is one part, the other is the story that binds everything together and gives good context to the events taking place and how they integrate the new original characters into the story (talking about the OG games here). Now that I think about it more it's pretty story heavy. You're treated to shit tons of text before, during and after every mission.

I remember reading around 20-30 minutes of text inbetween missions in the GBA games and I loved it. A good way to break up the pace between each mission.

Since my JP reading skill is abysmal now I just look for the few words that I know plus things in katakana so I can at least see what's being mentioned. Nowhere near close to the same experience that someone who is fluent in Japanese is experiencing, so that's where the shift will most likely occur for non-JP readers.

As for Project X Zone I don't think story was the main focus,it was just there to get all the crossover characters together, which is why you get so many
"ok we defeated all the enemies, oh shit a portal is opening to a place with even more random enemies"
repeated over and over again.

Shouta

Yeah PxZ was an excuse for chars to get together without a story. SRW games actually stitch them together with an original plot and they do it well.

I definitely feel that I'm missing out at times when I'm just following a script and reading summaries, but the huge improvements that console games have over the handheld games production wise can't be overstated. If you're going to continue with the series, you're going to have to do it eventually so I say just jump in now. Going from this to this and this is well worth the tradeoff imo.

kaze3434

Neo Member
man, it really feels like almost no one really likes the OG stuff. granted the point of SRW was to go crazy with all the robots from different things, i just think that the OG is too good.
mainly for the music. almost all the themes i enjoy.

Teknoman

man, it really feels like almost no one really likes the OG stuff. granted the point of SRW was to go crazy with all the robots from different things, i just think that the OG is too good.
mainly for the music. almost all the themes i enjoy.

Yeah im not crazy about all the designs, but there are some cool originals there (Cybuster, Wildraubiter, Valsion so far)

Do the items have effect icons for the recent releases, or are they still mostly text (like fuel tanks, repair kits, etc.)?

Teknoman

So I just came across the Super Robot Taisen Z2 Hakai Hen english translation patch, which seems to cover most vital stuff aside from conversation text. Unfortunately it hasnt been updated since November 2012. I know translation efforts take awhile, but hopefully whoever started the project, will eventually move forward...or someone else will take up the reigns.

Sorry for the bump but I had somehow missed the announcement of MK F. I'm a bit annoyed at the lack of a Vita version because I found MK 3 worked pretty well on Vita. Plus, I have Z3 on both platforms and Uve definitely played it more on Vita.

As someone who put dozen of hours in Pride of Justice, really liked it and 100%ed the game, I'm not even sure I'll be there day one. I'll probably wait for a price drop or a Vita version.

I'm still amazed we went from no sequel for 15 years to 3 sequels in less than 4 years. Between 2nd OG, Dark Prison and these new MK entries, the La Gias stuff went from being extinct to never having been so preeminent in SRW. I hope they finally tie it to the Z series.

Teknoman

I need to finish the GBA OG series games and then decide whether I want to head into the Alpha Gaiden translation, PSP's SRT Z2, or just got snag OG2nd on PS3 and muscle my way through.

Hate to sound like a broken record, but I still wish there was a team dedicated to finishing the Z2 english patches.

Shouta

There's a certain lack of wholeness with the MK games. Like they have a story but it doesn't feel like they have one.

Keylow415

I need to finish the GBA OG series games and then decide whether I want to head into the Alpha Gaiden translation, PSP's SRT Z2, or just got snag OG2nd on PS3 and muscle my way through.

Hate to sound like a broken record, but I still wish there was a team dedicated to finishing the Z2 english patches.

get OG2nd its one of the best games in the series and has the best animations.

Wow that beginning sure is as generic as the start of MK1. This actually looks fun, too bad its going to get dragged down by all the wackiness of the MK setting anyway.

Top Bottom