• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

Bebpo

Banned
As expected. Diebuster, FMP novels, Eva 3.33, Votoms OAV2, Gargantia, rest of Unicorn, OO movie plot, old units back being the new stuff. Eh, if they touch up the z3-1 units to not be ass and there's lots of good OGs I can live with that.

Just realized they dropped E7 entirely. No AO, no return of old E7. Kind of sucks, wonder if AO was planned but they didn't have time.

And no Ideon. Guess the universe isn't ending :p

Meh universe ending Gods aren't really threatening when Chirico the godkiller is on your team. I am fine with them not rolling Ideon out every single time, it needs to mean something. That and I guess I played Alpha 3 too recently to need that ideon fix again.

Really I just want them to do a solid OG story.

squall23

Oh good. So hopefully there's a chance that the actual game, all the OG units return for this one.

It won't be ending, but with all the uber powered planet destroying mechs they have, it'll at least get a severe beating.
Hello, planet-busting villains. Meet TTGL and STTGL.

CorvoSol

FUCK YES FMP SEQUELS ARE IN.

Also pretty cool that Gargantia got in. Definitely the show I liked most from that season.

At first I was bummed cuz they showed the ARX-7 still janking around but oh man if they're doing the sequels I'm so in.

squall23

No King Gainer or Xabungle :\

Any other series missing besides E7/Gainer/Xabungle since X/A are back?
Gravion, Baldios, God Sigma, Grendizer.

And can somebody please revive Elgan Roddick or at least make some other dimension version of him a playable character?

Bebpo

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri5nKaMiq30#t=18

Youtube link. Since the one on the previous page is private.

I'm guessing there won't be a PV2 because I have a feeling they've just shown 90% of the new animations in the game in that one clip. Animation looks about as choppy as Z3-1. Still not really a fan of this style. Quan[T] animation is still bleh and Diebuster looks kind of crappy. I hope for the next SRW series they dumb down the sprite resolution and focus on animation over sharp & detailed sprites. I would really, really have preferred all the Z3 series with animation quality that we saw in Z2-2.

Gravion, Dancouga.

Actually I am or will be really surprised if Dancouga doesn't return what with the hinting. Like wat?

It's gone. There are no surprise series in SRW after announcement. You get the series that are listed at announcement, nothing less, nothing more. Surprise units? Sure. But last time Dancouga was in, it was listed as a separate series and its not this time.

Shouta

2-2 isn't really much better in animation overall because remember, a lot of these animations will be from 2-2, lol. It was just a relatively good leap for a PSP game where this isn't as much of a leap for being a Vita and PS3 title. Then you have to consider that it's a legacy title too. I expect the next licensed SRW whenever it comes will look far better and probably more along the lines of OGs since they don't have to hold on to a lot of old stuff for it. At the very least, it seems a sense of flair is back for the attacks but that ain't saving FMP lol.

squall23

2-2 isn't really much better in animation overall because remember, a lot of these animations will be from 2-2, lol. It was just a relatively good leap for a PSP game where this isn't as much of a leap for being a Vita and PS3 title. Then you have to consider that it's a legacy title too. I expect the next licensed SRW whenever it comes will look far better and probably more along the lines of OGs since they don't have to hold on to a lot of old stuff for it. At the very least, it seems a sense of flair is back for the attacks but that ain't saving FMP lol.
I'm just happy to see Laevatein moving, or "moving" in this case.

Oh, one great feature in the game will be setting BGMs to attacks like OE. So now we can have vocals during Basara's attacks.

Bebpo

Banned

Almost all the animations are new. That's the problem. They're so similar sometimes it looks like they just ported the sprites, but it turns out they actually spent time redrawing/tracing them at higher resolution and usually much worse (see Lelouche's unit in Z3-1).

If they didn't have to spend all that time redoing all the Z1/Z2 series in the new shitty PS3 style, and just re-used the old sprites, they could've spent all that time on new entry animations and we probably would've have 4-5 more series in Z3. Z3 got fucked by the animation change.

And Z2-2 animation is way better, don't even try to argue otherwise. We went through all this with Z3-1. They sacrificed animation quality to rid of the "pixels" which is bullshit because SRW and Japan in general has never really cared about the pixel look or sprite resolution. Whereas animation goes a long way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kjpz1J7DBE

Never forget.

Loona

I am fine with them not rolling Ideon out every single time, it needs to mean something. That and I guess I played Alpha 3 too recently to need that ideon fix again.

They've only ever rolled out Ideon for the grand finales of the major sagas, classic and Alpha, that's hardly overexposure, if you compare it to the likes of Gundam Wing or Daitarn 3.

I now kinda hoe this isn't really the Z series grand finale, it feels weird...

Shouta

Almost all the animations are new. That's the problem. They're so similar sometimes it looks like they just ported the sprites, but it turns out they actually spent time redrawing/tracing them at higher resolution and usually much worse (see Lelouche's unit in Z3-1).

If they didn't have to spend all that time redoing all the Z1/Z2 series in the new shitty PS3 style, and just re-used the old sprites, they could've spent all that time on new entry animations and we probably would've have 4-5 more series in Z3. Z3 got fucked by the animation change.

And Z2-2 animation is way better, don't even try to argue otherwise. We went through all this with Z3-1. They sacrificed animation quality to rid of the "pixels" which is bullshit because SRW and Japan in general has never really cared about the pixel look or sprite resolution. Whereas animation goes a long way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kjpz1J7DBE

Never forget.

No way, not all the animations are new aside from new units. Look at Nu, Zeta, or Daiguard in 3-1 or the other returning units. There are certainly odd ducks like Lelouch but most are just the same animations from Z2.

Besides as I said this is a legacy title. It's technically 5 games in with a bunch of assets from the PS2 and PSP era that weren't designed for the jump to high resolution imagery. They either had to use ugly sprites with maybe better animation or high resolution sprites with the animation we have now and thy ultimately chose the latter. This isn't OGs where the framework was built from the ground up for HD, something has to give.

And seriously, pointing out the Arios? That's a Z2-2 unitt. At least be fair and use the Kyrios which has super blah animation aside from like one or two attacks and even then there are TONs of inbetween animation missing making it look like a janky mess in motion. It's totally unfair to knock 3-2 until we see what they did because 2-2 was a significant leap in animation over 2-1 as wel.

And Japan certainly cares because they don't do sprite animation more. It's prohibitively expensive. If they didn't care that it was a pixellated mess then we'd be seeing more sprite games but the only ones that come out are high resolution sprite games.

I think the problem with Diebuster is that unlike most robot shows the designs have alot of smoothness and curves to it, instead of the angular and blockiness of most robots that should make it comparably easier to animate.

The Diebuster units kind of look... flash-animationy, to put it another way. But Diebuster got me into super robots to begin with, and a decade later they FINALLY put it in. Hopefully we'll get the Final Gainax Special where they make a new universe and then destroy it or something. I haven't bought any SRW games since OG2nd but I think I'm gonna pick this up just for that.

Tsukumo

Well, since there's no Hathaway's flash I'll probably play this in five years. I still have to play Masokishin 2 and 3 (plus Coffin) and I've had Ux sitting in my library for more than a year, they get precedence.
I'll pre-order it to get rengoku but there's no way I'm going to play this as soon as it gets out.
And retouching Nu-Gundam melee animation was a mistake. It was perfect the way it was.

Bebpo

Banned
No way, not all the animations are new aside from new units. Look at Nu, Zeta, or Daiguard in 3-1 or the other returning units. There are certainly odd ducks like Lelouch but most are just the same animations from Z2.

Besides as I said this is a legacy title. It's technically 5 games in with a bunch of assets from the PS2 and PSP era that weren't designed for the jump to high resolution imagery. They either had to use ugly sprites with maybe better animation or high resolution sprites with the animation we have now and thy ultimately chose the latter. This isn't OGs where the framework was built from the ground up for HD, something has to give.

And seriously, pointing out the Arios? That's a Z2-2 unitt. At least be fair and use the Kyrios which has super blah animation aside from like one or two attacks and even then there are TONs of inbetween animation missing making it look like a janky mess in motion. It's totally unfair to knock 3-2 until we see what they did because 2-2 was a significant leap in animation over 2-1 as wel.

And Japan certainly cares because they don't do sprite animation more. It's prohibitively expensive. If they didn't care that it was a pixellated mess then we'd be seeing more sprite games but the only ones that come out are high resolution sprite games.

Eh, I've made my peace with Z3 series at this point. I went in with the lowest expectations possible (see my roster guess on the previous page) and they pretty much met it somewhere between worst & best case scenarios. After Z3-1 and being extremely disappointed (along with thousands of others, hence the really poor reviews Z3-1 received from Japanese fans), I figured Z3-2 had two options: Either Scamco was going to be Scamco and not give a shit that Z3-1 garnered such negative impressions and would roll out Z3-2 a year later, right on schedule with just enough new content to squeeze by, or they'd delay it a year and give the team time to actually react and improve to criticisms. Once they put up the countdown that Z3-2 was coming in April 2015 right on schedule, I made my peace, lowered expectations to rock bottom and all I'm hoping is that Z3-2 has a good OG story because the Sphere story was pretty interesting and it'd be a shame if it doesn't have a nice finale.

I'll pin my hopes on having some nice SRW animations again on 3rd OGs and the next licensed game in 3 years for licensed SRW.

Wouldn't have pegged Gargantia to get in before Valvrave or MJP.

Fewer mechs, less work.

I expect the next major licensed SRW to have Valvrave/MJP/G Reco/G Build Fights and maybe I'll finally get my goddamn Star Driver in 2018.

squall23

I expect the next major licensed SRW to have Valvrave/MJP/G Reco/G Build Fights and maybe I'll finally get my goddamn Star Driver in 2018.
Daimidaler probably has a better chance to get in than those since Terada actually commented about it.

Shouta

It's not like I wasn't disappointed with Z3-1 either but I'm not all doom and gloom nor am I drinking the Terada Kool-Aid. i'm just being realistic. It's a sub-series that has gone through multiple platforms with a lot of baggage on it that also coincided with a huge technology shift that it wasn't designed for. It doesn't really make any sense to go into the red when it's a title that has history. It would make way more sense to spend that money on a brand new title built on the new framework instead of all that effort on frankensteining one that has old tech.

If there's anything we need to complain about it's not lack of animation but lack of effort in the style of the animations. That's what Z3-1 is bad at. it doesn't have the choreography or uniqueness that it should have. Super smooth animation be damned, make it look dyanmic and interesting.

Bebpo

Banned
It's not like I wasn't disappointed with Z3-1 either but I'm not all doom and gloom nor am I drinking the Terada Kool-Aid. i'm just being realistic. It's a sub-series that has gone through multiple platforms with a lot of baggage on it that also coincided with a huge technology shift that it wasn't designed for. It doesn't really make any sense to go into the red when it's a title that has history. It would make way more sense to spend that money on a brand new title built on the new framework instead of all that effort on frankensteining one that has old tech.

If there's anything we need to complain about it's not lack of animation but lack of effort in the style of the animations. That's what Z3-1 is bad at. it doesn't have the choreography or uniqueness that it should have. Super smooth animation be damned, make it look dyanmic and interesting.

Ok, I agree with both those points.

The thing is that to have the effort in animations, you need a team that's excited about the game they are making. Terada was really vocal online about Z2 and how excited he was about the game they were making. When Z3 came out Terada went pretty silent and doesn't really talk about the game much. For the final conclusion game in a 9 year series featuring stuff like end show Gurren Lagann, Diebuster and Eva Rebuild you'd think he'd be a little more excited. I don't know if the team is just burnt out these days or just feeling the strain from a shrinking market with lowered budgets and shorter timetables. Hopefully they're a little more excited about Z3-2 since it's the conclusion and you see that come through in stylish attacks.

If not, well I just hope they re-energize for the next series that'll be a fresh start. Z3 kind of reminds me of MGS4 and how Kojima was bogged down by all the series baggage. Whereas MGS5 Kojima is really re-energized and it's showing in the game footage.

Shouta

There's a good chance that Scamco didn't give Terada the budget he needed to make the full transition and then some for extra work or there was executive meddling in the background that kept him from really doing what he wanted.

It's certainly not the case that Terada is lazy because he loves the series and has put tons of work into titles over the years so there's gotta be something going on in the background that would generate a poor effort in Z3-1 by its devs.

I think this bit is disengeneuous. I can't imagine most people are complaining about the low frame rate of the animations instead of just them being simply ass. FMP is the best example of this in that the boss units and characters all have decent animations even if they are very low effort. The units for your characters all animate like shit with either 2 frame animations, odd and akward movement, poor perspective and a whole bunch of other crap. Oh and some of the Aquarion Evol animations are totaly weird, they look like they had some effort put into them but nobody actually figured out how to translate the CG model animations into the game.

It's not like Z3 doesn't have some god damn amazing animations either. Nu, scopedog, TTGL all got some lovin and in my opinion the OG unit wasn't all that bad either. It's just that there are really some odd choices in terms of the quality of animation and how much of a step back stuff like endless waltz is.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, Nu/Zeta/final GL have great animation. (Scopedog is nice, but they've been mainly using slightly altered animations for Votoms since Z2-1). So there is good stuff there, just few and far between.

One thing that would make a big difference for fairly cheap is to spend a little time giving units 2-4 frame idle animation. Having the units just SIT completely still before the attack and while getting attacked makes it look a lot worse.

Also hopefully Z3-2 fixes the 1-2 second pause before an attack starting that Z3-1 had.

Shouta

I think this bit is disengeneuous. I can't imagine most people are complaining about the low frame rate of the animations instead of just them being simply ass. FMP is the best example of this in that the boss units and characters all have decent animations even if they are very low effort. The units for your characters all animate like shit with either 2 frame animations, odd and akward movement, poor perspective and a whole bunch of other crap. Oh and some of the Aquarion Evol animations are totaly weird, they look like they had some effort put into them but nobody actually figured out how to translate the CG model animations into the game.

It's not like Z3 doesn't have some god damn amazing animations either. Nu, scopedog, TTGL all got some lovin and in my opinion the OG unit wasn't all that bad either. It's just that there are really some odd choices in terms of the quality of animation and how much of a step back stuff like endless waltz is.

Some are straight ass sure, FMP isn't even fit for cheap knock-off games.

But the animations need better choreography even if we can't get a ton of inbetween animations. Look at Nu and Zeta. Both don't have the inbetween frames like the 2.2 versions but are still really good looking because there was effort put into the style.

You are using Zeta as an example? They went all in on those animations, they replicated the art style of the effects and the shading and the color palette used for the movies/show. The ammount of effort they put into Zeta is nuts, its not even the animations its everything else they did for it.

But I agree that animations need better direction. As I mentioned Aquarion Evol is just really poor in some places despite being more animated than FMP. Eva Rebuild ones are also rather Meh.

Shouta

Well yeah, shading on the special effects is gonna be a lot less work than the actual animating of the unit though. It's the style and effort behind it.

Also, I just finished Suisei no Gargantia and it's a really good fit for Z3-2 especially with the dynamic they setup in 3-1. It has a lot of thematic threads that align with the prominent series from Z2 and Z3-1 in fact. I was quite surprised how apparent that is. Fitting it in so easily is probably why it got in ahead of other ones.

It should add some flavor to the game world too. I fully expect lots of water maps. >_> I'd be disappointed if there weren't a ton to be honest.

CorvoSol

I'm all for more water maps if it means I can deploy the TDD-1 more.
Getting it in Space was the highlight of the finale of Z-3.1 to me.

61wPfiBnJeL.jpg

Digging the cover art. PS3 version isn't available yet, but should be identical.

It's cool that the Arbalest upgrade got in. I'm just confused on how the quality of the FMP player units versus the enemy units turned out the way they did in the first place. You'd think that priority would be given to making the player units as stylish/good looking as possible but for whatever reason the opposite happened in Z3.1.

I guess Hibiki will be reprising his role as main original like Crowe in Z2.2? They haven't shown him yet so I'm wondering if we'll get another Ester type situation where we have a new original for the first 15 for so maps until Hibiki shows up again.

Shouta

Hibiki's story isn't complete so he'll be the protag for Z3-2. The question is what kind of upgrade he'll get. I wonder how they'll upgrade the Genion in the game.

Vita version preordered on AmiAmi.

I double dipped for Jigokuhen but in the end, it felt more at home on Vita. I might get tengoku PS3 whenever it hits The Best though - speaking of which, this happened fairly quickly with Jigoku, didn't it?

Bebpo

Banned
While I'm sad that the OG Units in Z2/Z3 have kind of gotten the short end of the stick in visuals, I'm less concerned there because eventually they should make it into OGs where they'll get nice stuff.

FMP needs to look better though! If they can't outdo the DS games they've got problems :mad:

I'm pretty bummed at what happened to 00 Movie units though. Gundam 00 stuff looked gorgeous in Z2 and I LIKE MY GUNDAM; gundam units are 50% of why I play SRW. Even the new animations for 00 Raiser debuff in Z3-1 looked solid. But Quan[T] so far sucks as does the other Trailblazer guys and the ELS look like goddamn stills in that trailer lol.

I think I'm more excited about the new UX team SRW since for the low budget stuff they use crazier series and the sprites are tiny but animations are ok. I reaaaaaaaaaally really really really really want the next 3DS/Mobile 2d art SRW to use Gundam AGE. The story sucks but there's a lot of units & upgrades and it'd be fun to have them in the party (plus some of them would be OP as fuck).

Vita version preordered on AmiAmi.

I double dipped for Jigokuhen but in the end, it felt more at home on Vita. I might get tengoku PS3 whenever it hits The Best though - speaking of which, this happened fairly quickly with Jigoku, didn't it?

I was thinking about going Vita this time because the interface and everything is more designed for portable. But I remember hearing the load times were worse on Vita?

Hibiki's story isn't complete so he'll be the protag for Z3-2. The question is what kind of upgrade he'll get. I wonder how they'll upgrade the Genion in the game.

Genion Gai will finally be a proper unit, and maybe have an upgrade. Maybe not.

They severely restricted your use of it for the entire game and it only had one attack. It was gimmicky as hell, but personally I liked the fact that they had an ok story reason for it.

Yes I know it gets like two more attacks at the end of the game, but its still not much of a proper unit.

I was thinking about going Vita this time because the interface and everything is more designed for portable. But I remember hearing the load times were worse on Vita?
The load times are a tad longer on Vita but they aren't really bad.
I'm going Vita only this time because I felt the first game was more at home on Vita than PS3: most animations looked better on PS3 but overall, it did feel like an upport while the Vita version was spot on. TBH, the biggest factor here is that playing on Vita is simply more convenient for me because of TV sharing concerns and I actually like playing these games while travelling (which is something like a dozen weeks a year),

Coffin of the End is $34 at Play Asia. One of the bomba-- I mean, sales of the week.

http://www.play-asia.com/super-robo...in-of-the-end-japa-paOS-13-49-en-70-7wdx.html
Thanks for that! I actually took a look at the usual sites last week before preordering Z3-2 and it was still full price. That will have to do. I guess nothing will beat MK3's catastrophic drop lol.

So has there been any press releases about Tengoku Hen yet? Or did everyone find out about it through Play Asia? I remember last year they gave us a trailer at Christmas so I was hoping for the same this year.

PS3 version preordered heh.

Top Bottom