• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh shit. Played a random guy in class and actually managed to get to sudden death with him instead of getting my ass whooped.
(Still lost in sudden death though)
. Maybe there is a bright future for me.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I believe Brawls faults were apparent even before the game came out. Anyone recall exactly when things like tripping and floaty gameplay came to light?

When was the first public demo? I remember E4All and people talked it about it then, but I don't remember if there was a prior public demo.

Impossible to beat Rosalina online. Hands down the best character on the game.

I literally jump off the stage if I match with one.
Is she one of those spammy online types of opponent? Suicide or throw the match by doing nothing will get punished though.

Looking at the trophies, I notice that Tharja has not been found in game nor in the game files despite being in the leak. I'm guessing she was cut because she pushed the rating too high. That said. the total trophies is now 684 without Tharja in both the game files and my list. Something else may have been cut too though I can't identify it yet.
I seriously feel one or two trophies will be for Wii U link up. Think Mario & Yoshi and Samus gunship from Melee only possible for people to get (I never saw a Gamecube demo unit let alone one hooked up with the disc that distributed).

I think it is too early to call cuts.

Still no Ridley trophy right? That DLC is going to be so good!

6 months from now I force myself to live the life of a hermit when I find out the DLC is only Ridley's trophy.

I don't really think no trophy is indicative of DLC characters. Rather, in Ridley's case, it probably points to his trophy only being in the Wii U version. Makes sense to include a boss/stage hazard used only in one version only as a trophy in that version.

Moonlight

Banned
When was the first public demo? I remember E4All and people talked it about it then, but I don't remember if there was a prior public demo.
I think there was a prior public demo at E3 or something. A thread on early impressions of Brawl was linked in one of the PotD threads.

back when they thought tripping was preventable lol

Dr.Hadji

It makes me sad that TOs are already banning enough stages to the point where the level select list looks like Melee or Brawl's 4 years after their release. They've almost totally abandoned the notion of "fair" play for the level selection and banning process and settled on some strange notion of "competitive" play. Ug.

georly

The exact same Mega Man level with no Yellow Devil.

I dunno. Maybe Metal Man's stage?

Did you ever say that when Brawl was new?

Back then I thought I would be moving to the new game along with everyone else, and was looking forward to that. We saw how that worked. :\

Not when it was new, no, but I already knew subspace was the worst, just 2 hours in. I did always know deep down that it was slower and that tripping was BS, and then it started to wear thin. I still play brawl from time to time, but I more frequently play project M, 64, or melee than brawl. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate brawl, but a few things did irritate me quite a bit. Things that aren't present in smash 4. Love love love smash 4.

We'll see in 6 months how I still feel, but I strongly think that i'll just move on. Especially since it's also smash on-the-go, where no other smash is.

Oh and online is amazing.

Neoxon

Still no Ridley trophy right? That DLC is going to be so good!

6 months from now I force myself to live the life of a hermit when I find out the DLC is only Ridley's trophy.
Trophies aren't indicative of if a character can't be DLC. If anything, it probably means that Ridley's trophy is just in the Wii U version.

Neiteio

I'd go with the Central Highway from MMX. Maybe a more horizontal Mute City with no car switching, I dunno. Any excuse to get this (or any MMX music) on a stage, really.
Oh, Central Highway from MMX would make a great SSB stage:

CentralhighwayFull.png

Sakurai, DLC, pls

Jaeger

Whenever that first public demo happened is when I remember it being first mentioned widely. And I even kind of remember tripping being mentioned from one of the trailers shown. Although I'm not sure.

Mario Kart tracks and characters are much, much easier to produce, playtest, and balance than fighting game characters. But especially Smash Bros characters, who are reliant on some pretty complex mechanics and have to work in 2, 3, and 4 player matches as well as in stuff like Smash Run.

They're also much more expensive and time-intensive.

Don't expect Mario Kart 8 DLC here. It's going to be smaller and more expensive, and it's not going to be ANYWHERE near 10 characters.

Probably 2. 4 if they're going to space things out by 6 months like MK8. More than 4 though? No. 4 is the most they'll produce, and we'll probably only get two characters.

However, we could see a lot of additional stages for the game. Those are a lot easier to produce than characters.

Expect to see DLC packs that are one character + multiple stages for like $10 each. And we'll probably get 2 of those packs. If we got more I'd be really surprised.
Even if we do get characters I expect them to be much simpler leftovers from what Sakurai was not able to fit in time (aka cut veterans). Have a hard time believing hobbyist gamers can implement and balance characters for a fan mod of a game but no one within Nintendo's studios is capable of doing that for an official release.

Neiteio

I'm not really feeling most of this soundtrack!

Idk it kind of feels reigned in from Melee's bombast and Brawl's uncoordinated insanity

but there's definitely some winners among these tracks

so far my favorites are Warm Fuzzy Plains and whatever this fucking craziness is
I'm really liking the Living Room stage. That second song you linked to is one reason why. But in general I just like the stage's atmosphere and rearranging layout.

Neiteio

I keep returning to this amazing Sonic vs. Yoshi match. The video/audio quality is great, there's no commentary, and the action is superb -- great showing by both characters. Sonic looks powered-up in terms of his spindash, combo ability and KO power, and Yoshi also looks a lot stronger now. I wish this guy would upload more matches. :-D

beanman25

Slowly crawling back to .500 online. I'm 74-81 compared to being 35 under yesterday.

Still can't deal with spammy projectile opponents though, seems to be my nightmare.

Yeah I'm not sure I want to know where some of those came from.

Here's Lucina looking much more like herself:

EmotionalNeglectedAfricanfisheagle.gif

Hmmm thats a beautiful meteor smash... Might have to main Lucina.

I only have the demo and the only reason I like Mario, is because he has an awesome meteor smash.

I'm not really feeling most of this soundtrack!

Idk it kind of feels reigned in from Melee's bombast and Brawl's uncoordinated insanity

I'm not feeling the limitations on the 3DS versions music selection, understandably limited in number for space reasons but also like the stage selection it basically gives the middle finger to a number of series while overstocking on others.
But I think the remix quality so far is of a consistently higher standard than Brawl, obviously is still lacks the cohesive orchestration of Melee's selection yet it strikes a nice solid ground in between Melee and Brawl (so like the gameplay itself I guess).
Fave Three 3DS remixes so far...
- Full Steam Ahead
- N's Castle Medley
- Air Man's Stage

If this is any indication the Wii U version if going to be pretty awesome and I'll actually get some Metroid music.

-Horizon-

At the very least I'd like to know where the one from the lower right came from.

Also:

Lewd.

Just fan art I found. Nothing bad with it. There was no nudity or anything shown in the original. It was just her in her regular clothes
just with striped panties on her head.

Haven't been watching many streams and players.

But is the Tharja alt the go to choice for the majority of Lucy players seen so far?

Because I would find that very interesting.

Yeah, aside from a few, everything I've heard from the soundtrack has probably been one of the most disappointing parts about the game. All the best music is just the originals.

Guesong

Guys, if they were to add another Mega Man level, what would be the perfect pick?

MegaMan Universe

There's so many iconic locations and music to choose from, the best thing would be to pick a stage that could fit with all of them. A Delfino Plaza-ish stage where you travel between MMX, Legends, Starforce, .exe and MM locations.

Unbounded

So I plan on going in and analyzing this myself when the game comes out, but does the Yellow devil always move/attack on a set time interval?

I figure if it can be predicted within a fairly reliable accuracy as a hazard one might be able to put forth a convincing argument as to why it shouldn't be banned.

Neiteio

I really want the trainer battle theme from Pokémon to also appear in the WiiU version. It's the song that appeared in Greninja's reveal trailer and that is one of the two songs on the Prism Tower stage in the 3DS version. At a higher bitrate with more bass, it would sound truly incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom