• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of DLC, a lot of people expect only 4 characters as DLC, but I wonder if it will be more than that. Both Mario Golf and Mario Kart 8 basically have half of another game added with DLC, so I wonder if we might see more than just 4 characters. Maybe 10 or so characters and more stages and outfits? That'd be nice, especially if it was priced amazingly well like Mario Kart 8's DLC.

Mario Kart tracks and characters are much, much easier to produce, playtest, and balance than fighting game characters. But especially Smash Bros characters, who are reliant on some pretty complex mechanics and have to work in 2, 3, and 4 player matches as well as in stuff like Smash Run.

They're also much more expensive and time-intensive.

Don't expect Mario Kart 8 DLC here. It's going to be smaller and more expensive, and it's not going to be ANYWHERE near 10 characters.

Probably 2. 4 if they're going to space things out by 6 months like MK8. More than 4 though? No. 4 is the most they'll produce, and we'll probably only get two characters.

However, we could see a lot of additional stages for the game. Those are a lot easier to produce than characters.

Expect to see DLC packs that are one character + multiple stages for like $10 each. And we'll probably get 2 of those packs. If we got more I'd be really surprised.

zruben

Banned
I believe the term you're looking for is "semi-spike", which refers to moves that do exactly what you described, like Zelda's d-smash.

oh, I just googled that... and you're right, it works like that.
I didn't know smash bros had such a vast terminology. haha.

emb

Impossible to beat Rosalina online. Hands down the best character on the game.

I literally jump off the stage if I match with one.
lol. Please don't do that. Otherwise you'll never learn.

That's the second complaint I've seen about Rosalina today, after not really hearing anything for the past week. What are your thoughts on what makes her so strong?

Moonlight

Banned
Nooooope, you either go FD-form or that stage just can't be used. Shame too, because the Mega Man stage has some pretty awesome platforms and general layout formations but Yellow Devil ruins it. :/
I don't understand Yellow Devil at all. It's bizarre how something so prominent to a stage feels so peripheral to it. Nothing about Wily's Castle feels made to accommodate the existence of it (like a good hazard-rife stage should be) and so it just feels unnecessarily intrusive and thoroughly frustrating to play around as a result.

I get being stubborn on a stage hazard switch. I don't understand the stubborness on bosses.

I don't understand Yellow Devil at all. It's bizarre how something so prominent to a stage feels so peripheral to it. Nothing about Wily's Castle feels made to accommodate the existence of it (like a good hazard-rife stage should be) and so it just feels unnecessarily intrusive and thoroughly frustrating to play around as a result.

I get being stubborn on a stage hazard switch. I don't understand the stubborness on bosses.

Sakurai doesn't want Smash to become PASBR.

I'm close to giving up with the Custom moves. Just spent an hour on Classic Mode and Smash Run and got all of 3 custom moves, 1 of which I already had.

But I need to cover them all. Such a pain. It's the one bad thing with this game. Custom moves should not be unlocked in a random, and possible repeated, manner.

The moves might be unlocked from the challenge wall. I know I've unlocked two or three of them that way.

beanman25

That might be why you can't beat her lol

lol. Please don't do that. Otherwise you'll never learn.

That's the second complaint I've seen about Rosalina today, after not really hearing anything for the past week. What are your thoughts on what makes her so strong?

Luma is too strong for me, haha. I'll be grabbing Rosalina and get smashed off the stage by Luma. I feel like the respawn for Luma is too quick as well.

Is she really over powered?

Really, she probably isn't. I'm just not very good at this point.

Well with that attitude you will never win against Rosalina.

I know, but it's impossible to get hits in because of luma!

What happens when you play as Rosalina online?

I get destroyed because I've got no idea how to play with her. Haha. I play with DHD, Lucina, Ness, and Falcon online as of now.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
it's not like we had Link files on MK8.

But we had 16 slots that said dlc tracks iirc

I'm not saying that dlc characters would happens. Melee and Brawl had leftover data and files that implied contents being cut.

Melee - FE stage was founded in the file

Brawl -7 characters files were founded as well.

Some of us were hoping to see any hint of cut characters or so. It's obvious that they thoroughly cleaned the files.

Impossible to beat Rosalina online. Hands down the best character on the game.

I literally jump off the stage if I match with one.

I know she's good, but every character is beatable. Keep at it and formulate a strategy: adapt to what she's doing. If you're losing consistently to the point that you're giving up, it means your playstyle is far too predictable.

In fact, if you can, record one of your matches against a Rosalina and analyze what you're doing and where you're getting punished. You'll be able to find weakspots in your game and improve. Good luck!

Hatchtag

Banned

I'm not saying that dlc characters would happens. Melee and Brawl had leftover data and files that implied contents being cut.

Some of us were hoping to see any hint of cut characters or so. It's obvious that they thoroughly cleaned the files.

Heath, this is just a list of texture files. Neither the FE stage nor Brawl's cut characters had these.

emb

Luma is too strong for me, haha. I'll be grabbing Rosalina and get smashed off the stage by Luma. I feel like the respawn for Luma is too quick as well.

Getting strong Ice Climbers vibes here.

Jaeger

I think we may see some stuff on the data on the Wii U version. Just a hunch.

Hella nerfed. If thunder wasn't hella nerfed too those would be a good combo to KO at the top of the screen but, you know.

I think I mostly used fsmash and his dash to KO at 150+.

How was up smash in Melee/Brawl on lightweights like Jigglypuff?

cause it kills at ~80% on Battlefield (no DI) if fresh

Treat her like the Ice Climbers when it comes to grabs: don't grab her if Luma is around.

Just don't give up and keep practicing. You'll learn what to do eventually. And once the game comes to the West everyone here will be better equipped to assist you.

Looking at the trophies, I notice that Tharja has not been found in game nor in the game files despite being in the leak. I'm guessing she was cut because she pushed the rating too high. That said. the total trophies is now 684 without Tharja in both the game files and my list. Something else may have been cut too though I can't identify it yet.

-Horizon-

Looking at the trophies, I notice that Tharja has not been found in game nor in the game files despite being in the leak. I'm guessing she was cut because she pushed the rating too high. That said. the total trophies is now 684 without Tharja in both the game files and my list. Something else may have been cut too though I can't identify it yet.

The Tharja trophy only magically appears once you play as robin for 100 consecutive matches.

You finished all the challenges?

Moonlight

Banned
Should have just pasted a curtain over her.

JediLink

I never used him at all in Brawl, but in Melee Pikachu had the strongest up smash in the game IIRC.
Strongest uncharged up smash. Shoutouts to Prog and D1.

EDIT: I swear to god they said that once. Might not actually be true.
EDIT2: SSBWiki is saying that Ganondorf's is the strongest in the game when fully charged, but I'm not sure if that's talking in terms of damage or knockback. In any case, there's some kind of qualifier for Pikachu's up smash.

beanman25

I know she's good, but every character is beatable. Keep at it and formulate a strategy: adapt to what she's doing. If you're losing consistently to the point that you're giving up, it means your playstyle is far too predictable.

In fact, if you can, record one of your matches against a Rosalina and analyze what you're doing and where you're getting punished. You'll be able to find weakspots in your game and improve. Good luck!

I forgot you could do that, I need to utilize the record feature for analysis. Good call man.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Strongest uncharged up smash. Shoutouts to Prog and D1.

EDIT: I swear to god they said that once. Might not actually be true.
EDIT2: SSBWiki is saying that Ganondorf's is the strongest in the game when fully charged, but I'm not sure if that's talking in terms of damage or knockback. In any case, there's some kind of qualifier for Pikachu's up smash.

I started to add that comment, but couldn't remember if it was the strongest charged or uncharged. These details.

I've definitely heard it too. Can't remember if it was from them, but probably if you think that.

I pretty much never charge smash attacks so the distinction didn't even cross my mind.

Timeaisis

Even when I like the score, it's still a review for a fighting game. Not something I'd usually put much stock in.

But I hope these games get a bunch of high scores. That seems to turn heads. But I don't think it will. No matter what half of them are probably gonna complain about how similar it is to the previous games.

I hope so too, but...

Super Smash Bros. 4 could average 6.5 on metacritic and I'd still play the shit out of it. If you've played the previous games, you'll know what your getting yourself into. Fighting games aren't about reinventing the wheel every time a new iteration comes out, they're about refining the mechanics, adding some new ones, and introducing new characters.

The beauty of Smash that it does all this with fanservice in the process, which is great.

Anyway, Brawl averaged 92% and Melee 90%. I'm going to guess 3DS version is high 80s (87 or 88) while Wii U version gets low 90s (90 or 91). Again, I really could care less the scores it gets, though.

Man Super Smash Bros. 4 is gonna be huge. I took my 3DS to class today and got 10 streetpasses, and all 10 of them were playing the smash bros. 4 demo.
Not to mention that it sold 1 million in Japan in its opening week, which is the highest opening for the series

RomanceDawn

Still no Ridley trophy right? That DLC is going to be so good!

6 months from now I force myself to live the life of a hermit when I find out the DLC is only Ridley's trophy.

georly

Smash 4 is so good. Not that it matters to anyone else, but, unlike brawl, it'll be rare for me to go back to older versions after this one, I love it so much.

Have all the challenges been cleared yet?

One of the challenges is to basically 'get everything,' so maybe? Some guy on youtube claimed to have 685 out of the 686 seen in the leak. If i had to guess, the last trophy is from syncing w/ Wii U game.

Guys, if they were to add another Mega Man level, what would be the perfect pick?

Bubble man's stage, complete w/ spikes everywhere so no one plays it :p

Underwater-levels-mega-man-2-bubble-man.jpg

emb

Guys, if they were to add another Mega Man level, what would be the perfect pick?
The exact same Mega Man level with no Yellow Devil.

I dunno. Maybe Metal Man's stage?
Smash 4 is so good. Not that it matters to anyone else, but, unlike brawl, it'll be rare for me to go back to older versions after this one, I love it so much.
Did you ever say that when Brawl was new?

Back then I thought I would be moving to the new game along with everyone else, and was looking forward to that. We saw how that worked. :\

Jaeger

The exact same Mega Man level with no Yellow Devil.

I dunno. Maybe Metal Man's stage?

Did you ever say that when Brawl was new?

Back then I thought I would be moving to the new game along with everyone else, and was looking forward to that. We saw how that worked. :\

I believe Brawls faults were apparent even before the game came out. Anyone recall exactly when things like tripping and floaty gameplay came to light?

Moonlight

Banned
I'd go with the Central Highway from MMX. Maybe a more horizontal Mute City with no car switching, I dunno. Any excuse to get this (or any MMX music) on a stage, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom