• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiggyRob

Asked this yesterday but didn't get any responses. What's Pikachu's best KO move? Most of the time against level 9s it takes getting them to around 150% for Pikachu to have a chance at knocking em to the blast zone, whereas Villager's bowling ball or tree is already pretty dangerous in the 90s... Pikachu's pretty decent at building damage, but it doesn't seem like he can do much in the way of actually finishing the kill.

Side Smash is the best, don't know what Thunder is like though.

Forkball

I think the large blast boxes and new ledge mechanics are there to encourage more people to chase off the stage. It's certainly going to take a while to adjust.

JoeM86

I'm close to giving up with the Custom moves. Just spent an hour on Classic Mode and Smash Run and got all of 3 custom moves, 1 of which I already had.

But I need to cover them all. Such a pain. It's the one bad thing with this game. Custom moves should not be unlocked in a random, and possible repeated, manner.

zruben

Banned
Asked this yesterday but didn't get any responses. What's Pikachu's best KO move? Most of the time against level 9s it takes getting them to around 150% for Pikachu to have a chance at knocking em to the blast zone, whereas Villager's bowling ball or tree is already pretty dangerous in the 90s... Pikachu's pretty decent at building damage, but it doesn't seem like he can do much in the way of actually finishing the kill.

As a main Pikachu user, and just based on the demo and previous smash games:

-Most effective all around: Side-smash.
-On low-ceilings stages: Up-smash
-If you are juggling your opponent and he's flying in the middle of the stage: Lighting (Down Special)

and this time, they made his air down-A a pretty effective meteor smash, considering how lame it was in previous games.

I'm close to giving up with the Custom moves. Just spent an hour on Classic Mode and Smash Run and got all of 3 custom moves, 1 of which I already had.

But I need to cover them all. Such a pain. It's the one bad thing with this game. Custom moves should not be unlocked in a random, and possible repeated, manner.

It reminds me of how you unlock crew members in Steel Diver. You can get repeats and there is a distinct possibility that they won't show up on the map at all. =/

Forkball

Just think of them as Pokemon. But they're all Cryogonal and it's summer.

and this time, they made his air down-A a pretty effective meteor smash, considering how lame it was in previous games.

His d-air is a meteor smash now? That's new.

It's too bad that his n-air is severely nerfed in terms of kill power, though. That was is best aerial in Brawl in terms of kill power.

While I really like the victory remix for Bowser... anyone else disappointed on some of the victory music not really being victory music, particularly for most of the newcomers? Most are really just cut samples from their theme song.

Megaman for instance should've gotten his Weapon Get jingle.

Yeah this actually bugs me a lot, lol. Though it's not just the newcomers. Stuff like Pokemon has tons of workable victory themes but they use a portion of the main theme. It's silly.

Brawl's victory themes are inherently better than the prior ones for giving the Zelda series an actual victory theme!

Does anyone know when will it be available for preorder in the EU eshop?

Just got a 3ds and I'm planning to take advantage of the current promotion and get Super Smash and Monster Hunter.

georly

Yeah, i've given up trying to unlock custom moves for specific characters. I'm just playing classic/all-star/smash run with all characters and seeing what I unlock that way. I finally got all of ZSS, but not even trying.

Hopefully repeat custom moves are patched out :/ All custom item repeats should be removed, considering the trophy/custom ratio is like 1:5, and the equipment to custom move ratio is also 1:5. So if you get 20 trophies in trophy rush, you get 4 customs, of which MAYBE one is a custom move. Ratio is a little better in classic/smash run, but those take 10+ minute each, vs the 2.5 minutes of trophy rush.

Kinsei

Banned

Custom moves sound like BS if you're playing alone. Who thought it would be a good idea to lower the odds when playing Smash Run single player?

Kewl0210

Neo Member
Basically if you use the right items in Smash Run and don't waste time on massive enemies that take forever to beat and stuff that won't get you anything, you can get a good number of custom items. Those little white bags with the wrenches on them. Smash run only lasts 5 minutes, plus a couple minutes where you compete at the end which I think only gives you coins and nothing else. I can generally get 1 or 2 new moves on each run now. I've got a good number of characters move sets totally filled out.

That said, there are 47 characters and 8 moves to unlock each. You can focus on one at a time by using them, but sometimes you'll get ones you already had or you'll get ones from other characters. I've got all of Zelda's somehw and I never used her in a single Smash Run. Also there a handful you can only get from events.

zruben

Banned
His d-air is a meteor smash now? That's new.

It's too bad that his n-air is severely nerfed in terms of kill power, though. That was is best aerial in Brawl in terms of kill power.

it's not EXACTLY a meteor smash like Mario's, Falcondorf's, Megaman's, etc... but now has a little "spark" that definitely packs a lot of punch; in the right angle can work as some sort of meteor smash (sadly, with the "wrong angle" can send your opponent back to the stage, LOL)

it's a little better to not have any "meteor smash" at all.

Moonlight

Banned
I think the large blast boxes and new ledge mechanics are there to encourage more people to chase off the stage. It's certainly going to take a while to adjust.
The new ledge mechanics are there to encourage off-screen play and I think they're mostly good. You could even say that some of the simplification of recovery is related to that (but very arguable). The larger blast zones are thoroughly antithetical to that because they don't reward off-screen play. Even if you go deep at high percents, it is absurdly difficult to keep someone from returning to the stage.

The best way to encourage off-stage play would be the new ledge mechanics and smaller blast zones. Easier to get back to the stage but riskier to get outplayed off of it.

JoeM86

Basically if you use the right items in Smash Run and don't waste time on massive enemies that take forever to beat and stuff that won't get you anything, you can get a good number of custom items. Those little white bags with the wrenches on them. Smash run only lasts 5 minutes, plus a couple minutes where you compete at the end which I think only gives you coins and nothing else. I can generally get 1 or 2 new moves on each run now. I've got a good number of characters move sets totally filled out.

That said, there are 47 characters and 8 moves to unlock each. You can focus on one at a time by using them, but sometimes you'll get ones you already had or you'll get ones from other characters. I've got all of Zelda's somehw and I never used her in a single Smash Run. Also there a handful you can only get from events.

I do try that but they're almost always Smash Run items :/

Blizzard

Banned
it's not EXACTLY a meteor smash like Mario's, Falcondorf's, Megaman's, etc... but now has a little "spark" that definitely packs a lot of punch; in the right angle can work as some sort of meteor smash (sadly, with the "wrong angle" can send your opponent back to the stage, LOL)

Someone told me that pikachu's thunder CLOUD is a true meteor, but I haven't managed to reproduce that in the demo yet. I have a hard time wrapping my head around how I would need to jump off stage in order to have the actual cloud block a recovery.

Beats

Given the rest of his post I think he's exaggerating.

And IIRC someone said there was a custom for G&W that made judgement only do 1s and 9s. Haven't seen confirmation of that though. And I guess if he was talking about online it wouldn't be that.

I saw it on FSLink's stream earlier here.

The new ledge mechanics are there to encourage off-screen play and I think they're mostly good. You could even say that some of the simplification of recovery is related to that (but very arguable). The larger blast zones are thoroughly antithetical to that because they don't reward off-screen play. Even if you go deep at high percents, it is absurdly difficult to keep someone from returning to the stage.

The best way to encourage off-stage play would be the new ledge mechanics and smaller blast zones. Easier to get back to the stage but riskier to get outplayed off of it.

What have other people been saying about the new ledge mechanics? I only have the demo and no friends and the new mechanics aren't as satisfying as in the old games. Is it funner with actual people (dumb question but you know what I mean)?

Kewl0210

Neo Member
I do try that but they're almost always Smash Run items :/

That's how it works. You're never gonna get 6+ moves in one Smash Run. The most you can hope for is like 3-4. Usually you'll get 1-2 if you pick up a good number of custom items.

I wonder how long on average it'd take to unlock them all. I sure as hell hope they can be transferred to the WiiU version because I really don't feel like spending 60+ hours unlocking them all again.

Hatchtag

Banned
Alright, someone on Smash Boards discovered this, but I went through the trouble of confirming it myself. Villager's crowd chant is insanely, insanely similar to the Ice Climbers.
Audio of Murabito's Crowd Chant: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x263bbe_ice-climbers-dans-ssb4_videogames?start=1 (Ignore the description, it happens against other characters and not just Dr. Mario)
Audio of Ice Climber's Crowd Chant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra6embqILm4 (skip to 3:15)

Arguably, its "Mura" "Bito" they're saying, but...I donno. It sounds really similar, and yes, I did hear it in game myself. There is no trickery being pulled in that video.

You know what would be sweet? A compilation of youtube links to custom movesets. I love JoeInky's writeups, but I need visuals for some of this stuff.

StayDead

Alright, someone on Smash Boards discovered this, but I went through the trouble of confirming it myself. Villager's crowd chant is insanely, insanely similar to the Ice Climbers.
Audio of Murabito's Crowd Chant: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x263bbe_ice-climbers-dans-ssb4_videogames?start=1 (Ignore the description, it happens against other characters and not just Dr. Mario)
Audio of Ice Climber's Crowd Chant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra6embqILm4 (skip to 3:15)

Arguably, its "Mura" "Bito" they're saying, but...I donno. It sounds really similar, and yes, I did hear it in game myself. There is no trickery being pulled in that video.

I can't hear murabito at all. Maybe they recycled the sound effect?

Revven

So judging by Smash Boards discussion on stage banning you can't turn off bosses on stages?

Bluh

Nooooope, you either go FD-form or that stage just can't be used. Shame too, because the Mega Man stage has some pretty awesome platforms and general layout formations but Yellow Devil ruins it. :/

Hatchtag

Banned
I can't hear murabito at all. Maybe they recycled the sound effect?

Maybe? It seems odd. Annoyingly, Murabito isn't in the sound effects page for some reason, otherwise I'd try to see if he ever has a different chant. Coincidentally, Dr. Mario and Duck Hunt Dog-the two characters I played against to try to activate it, aren't either...

Yeah, I noticed it in the demo. Sounded nothing like "Murabito" to me. Thought I might've just been going crazy lol

RiggyRob

Someone told me that pikachu's thunder CLOUD is a true meteor, but I haven't managed to reproduce that in the demo yet. I have a hard time wrapping my head around how I would need to jump off stage in order to have the actual cloud block a recovery.

I thought the cloud was a spike, meaning that you'd use it to bring people from the air back down to the ground so you can finish them off like that. Pikachu's Thunder is a very risky move to use off stage since there's a lot of ending lag.

What have other people been saying about the new ledge mechanics? I only have the demo and no friends and the new mechanics aren't as satisfying as in the old games. Is it funner with actual people (dumb question but you know what I mean)?

The game will always be more fun with actual people, but the new ledge grab in particular means that you can grab the ledge after your opponent has and knock them off from it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah this actually bugs me a lot, lol. Though it's not just the newcomers. Stuff like Pokemon has tons of workable victory themes but they use a portion of the main theme. It's silly.

Brawl's victory themes are inherently better than the prior ones for giving the Zelda series an actual victory theme!

To be fair though, 64 started those "use music as victory themes" stuff, just kinda wished they changed them. Like, Yoshi should use the World 2 victory music, etc.

I believe the term you're looking for is "semi-spike", which refers to moves that do exactly what you described, like Zelda's d-smash.

Mariolee

I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.

After years of lazy publishers fobbing off handhelds with crap versions of AAA console games, trust Nintendo to show them how it's done. It shrinks down the Wii U game without compromising it, while instilling it with its own distinct identity. If anything, it's the Wii U version that should be feeling nervous. Super Smash Bros for 3DS is a triumph.

They should see the Ice Climbers thread.

emb

beanman25

Impossible to beat Rosalina online. Hands down the best character on the game.

I literally jump off the stage if I match with one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom