• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
In honor of the terrible Metroid sale on the eShop today I bring you this.

D4Qzp8K.jpg

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
They updated:

The game will have additional content in the format of patches or updates via spotpass, not the usual DLC ... until further notice. We don't know anything about that content.

Basically it's just the conquest stuff, afaik.

Edit: beaten. Yeah, just talking about conquest/spotpass updates. Also, apologies for the slightly-off translation, my spanish is rusty, and i'm not accustomed to reading it too often. Especially not SPANISH spanish (puertorro here).

According to someone in other thread, they could backtracked with their mistakes. *shrugs* I don't really care either way.

I'm the happiest i've ever been w/ link. Unlike brawl, i'm preferring adult link over toon link, simply because toon link's back air can't be spammed anymore, which was a blast. I also like adult link's boomerang better. Oh and his dash attack is a KO move, which is fun. Also, i'm glad he doesn't look like a plastic doll on 3DS. His 3DS model is fantastic.

How does he compare to his Melee self? Specifically his spin attack. In Brawl it was pathetically weak and too long and didn't have that satisfying knockback it had in Melee (and 64)

Moonlight

Banned
Looking so damn good. I love, love, love how many options that Robin has. S/he's got good approach tools, good zoning tools, reliable kill and edgeguard options. Ridiculously versatile with a bunch of tricks for every occasion. A little bummed that his/her customs aren't a little more creative, though. Would have been amazing to alter specials into entirely different tomes (maybe changing Elfire to Bolganone, :lol) and it looks like Robin's are pretty simple instead. That said, can't really see the downsides of the stronger Thoron custom, so I'll probably pick that and Nosferatu 3 (since healing seems a bit redundant when you live so long anyways).

That video rocking the best palette, too. <3

Also, couple things that the video doesn't address, I don't think: Robin's jab finisher isn't dependent on the last tome you used. If you hold the A button down for your finisher, it'll come out as Excalibur/the wind slashes, if you just tap it, it'll finish as a Fire spell, which I think comes out faster and your opponent can't really escape it. Finishers use tomes, though, so that's something else to keep in mind. Although, the tomes (and Levin Sword) that s/he drops when expended do pretty good damage and knockback. Apparently, 14% for the tomes and 12% for the Levin Sword, and they can kill around 140-150% when thrown (although not accounting for vectoring, likely).

maaaaan i'm so excited for robin

How does he compare to his Melee self? Specifically his spin attack. In Brawl it was pathetically weak and too long and didn't have that satisfying knockback it had in Melee (and 64)
His Up Special is a very reliable off-stage kill tool (at around 110%), I've found, assuming your opponent doesn't airdodge through it.

georly

According to someone in other thread, they could backtracked with their mistakes. *shrugs* I don't really care either way.

That was them backtracking. They originally said that DLC was announced, then they backtracked to say that it was just patches/updates via spotpass. So, the conquest stuff that was already announced.

PKrockin

Been a while since I've played Melee, but Skraaa is stronger than Brawl both on the ground and in the air and doesn't last as long on the ground.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
That was them backtracking. They originally said that DLC was announced, then they backtracked to say that it was just patches/updates via spotpass. So, the conquest stuff that was already announced.

I have a weird feeling that Nintendo were yelling at them for slipping out the DLC information and urge them to covering it up with statements, "We were talking about Patches and update."

DaBoss

So I posted this on Makai's stream chat yesterday, and gonna post it here. It's about VI (is that what Smashboards decided on?) and KOing.

I think those times where the red lightning bolt appears, but doesn't KO is because of good VI. And when you get KOs without the red lightning bolt is from bad VI.

This refers to KOs where you have enough knockback to launch them vertically or horizontally.

I think it is safe to say the CPUs in the game do VI to avoid KOs.
Wow that is really awful. Not even Super.
Is Fusion at least on sale?

Super was available on Club Nintendo as a reward a month or 2 ago lol.
said the person not using the Anna avatar *glares*

lol

I've noticed nobody has really used Rosalina at all so far
pls, you don't tell someone with an Ibuki avatar to change it.

Dimmle

So I posted this on Makai's stream chat yesterday, and gonna post it here. It's about VI and KOing (is that what Smashboards decided on?)

I think those times where the red lightning bolt appears, but doesn't KO is because of good VI. And when you get KOs without the red lightning bolt is from bad VI.

This refers to KOs where you have enough knockback to launch them vertically or horizontally.

Is Fusion at least on sale?

Super was available on Club Nintendo as a reward a month or 2 ago lol.

pls, you don't tell someone with an Ibuki avatar to change it.

Is VI similar to DI?

PKGaming

Banned
Question: If The Legend of Zelda, a series I always considered to be one of Nintendo's flagship series, isn't that popular in Japan, then what is? Are there any Nintendo games that're super popular there that doesn't get as much attention in the West?

Timeaisis

So I posted this on Makai's stream chat yesterday, and gonna post it here. It's about VI and KOing (is that what Smashboards decided on?)

Oh, that's a good theory. That would make a lot of sense, actually. And yeah, I'd assume AIs use "VI" or whatever we're calling it. It's easy to program and there's no reason for them not to. Of course, they probably only use it to avoid death and not to avoid combos.

Jamix012

Question: If The Legend of Zelda, a series I always considered to be one of Nintendo's flagship series, isn't that popular in Japan, then what is? Are there any Nintendo games that're super popular there that doesn't get as much attention in the West?

The Mother series is the only thing I can think of that even slightly fits the "Nintendo series popular in Japan but not in the west" but that's kind of debatable at this point.

I have a question: do all your coins transfer from the Smash demo? I heard a rumour it was only 500...

beanman25

I'm SO terrible at this game. Can wipe the floor with level 9s, but online I get spanked. 7 games under .500

Can't hang with any one. Just had some random little mac kill my DHD and I didn't land a hit.

PKGaming

Banned
The Mother series is the only thing I can think of that even slightly fits the "Nintendo series popular in Japan but not in the west" but that's kind of debatable at this point.

That's definitely debatable. I'd actually say the Mother series is just as much a cult classic in Japan as it is here.

Timeaisis

I'm SO terrible at this game. Can wipe the floor with level 9s, but online I get spanked. 7 games under .500

Can't hang with any one. Just had some random little mac kill my DHD and I didn't land a hit.

That's going to be me day day one. I'm good at Smash, but there are people out there that are crazy good at it. So don't feel bad.

I have a question: do all your coins transfer from the Smash demo? I heard a rumour it was only 500...

Fire Emblem?

I dunno Awakening sold around a million in the west by now, seems decently popular enough here.

Anything before FE6 is pretty much ignored in the west though, especially Marth's games.

As for Mother, I remember reading Japanese fans' actually showing backlash to Mother 3 (compared to its highly elevated status here in the west), but I can't remember the source.

StayDead

I think my 3DS circle pad is starting to go south. I swear I can feel a bump in the center of it now, although maybe that's me worrying about nothing and it's always been like that haha.

PKGaming

Banned

Formless

If CPUs VI or if the VI frames are active during knockback (not the very start), then this doesn't really change the game too much from what we've seen already.

Playing the demo.

QUESTION:

Sometimes when I do a smash attack, big lightning bolts shoot out and the other player flies off the screen mighty quickly.

What is that?

[I feel like there was a pic-of-the-day about it once, but I don't remember.]

PKrockin

Playing the demo.

QUESTION:

Sometimes when I do a smash attack, big lightning bolts shoot out and the other player flies off the screen mighty quickly.

What is that?

It's just a visual effect that indicates that attack is probably going to KO.

HiroTSK5

Playing the demo.

QUESTION:

What is that?

For the most part this means that the person hit will almost certainly be KO'd, not 100%, but pretty likely

DaBoss

If you want to test VI on the demo, have a level 9 Mega Man on omega mode. Use a character (I used Mario). Jump in the air and just VI (up or down on the circle pad all the way) and let Mega Man hit you with up airs and up smashes. It had about a 30% difference in terms of percentage for an up smash to KO. This is also affected by move staling which affects knockback.
Playing the demo.

QUESTION:

What is that?

That means they are likely going to be KO'd.

EDIT: I forgot to post this lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom