• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

linko9

Do we know if he has custom moves that differ from Fox's? Like how Ganondorf can (finally) use his sword.

Any footage of this? I don't understand why they go to the trouble of making these unique moves but then keep him a complete clone.

Before I agreed with the assumption of trophy = no chance as DLC, but too many options (sans the Chorus Kids, that we know of) are being marked off.
Did anyone get an Emolga Trophy? How about DK Jr? Those options haven't been crossed off. Plus I bet The Witch from The Witch's House trophy hasn't been found yet. Just increases her chances mwahaha.

Anth0ny

So after playing for an entire day, I have a pretty good idea of which characters I like and which characters I don't like. In other words, which characters seem good, and which seem bad. This is day one, and I'm sure one of the characters I think is bad will probably end up being the best character in the game, but I'm going to post this anyways so I can look back and laugh at my silly day one mentality.

I'M REALLY FEELING IT
Bowser (top tier)
Sheik (top tier)
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Yoshi
Rosalina
Bowser Jr.
Wario
Game and Watch
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Toon Link
Zero Suit Samus
Pit
Palutena
Ike
Robin
Kirby
DDD
Meta Knight
ROB
Duck Hunt Dog
Greninja
Lucario
Lizardong
Pikachu
Plimar
Dr. Mario
Dark Pit
Shulk
Pac Man
Sonic

NOT FEELING
Link
Zelda
Ganon (SO SHIT)
Samus
Marth ; _ ;
Lucina
Little Mac
Fox
Falco (no chain grab, no short hop lasers, nerfed down air... might be the worst character in the game!)
Jigglypuff
Ness
Captain Falcon
Villager
Wii Fit Trainer
Megaman

I'm sure in the coming days some characters will switch categories. I'm happy that more than half of the cast feels good on day one, the same could not be said of Brawl when I first played it!

IceMarker

I am SO FUCKING LUCKY I have a sister who is into 3DS games, because she just netted me a code for the 3DS demo. TIME FOR EARLY SMASH

MNC

How is samus in general from brawl? Melee she was a hard hitter with a bit of float, brawl she was all float no power

Zalman

Any footage of this? I don't understand why they go to the trouble of making these unique moves but then keep him a complete clone.
All I have is this gif:

J3euW6I.gif

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Been playin the demo for a good bit, it feels much better playing smash on 3ds than I expected!

Does the demo come with an instruction manual btw? Couldn't find any at first glance

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
That's a silly claim. Ice Climbers probably got cut due to technical issues or so, not because of clones. Clones are just lucky alt costumes that become playable characters without taking much of times comparing to full fledged character.
Technical issues? That's flimsy reasoning. Yeah, clones are corner cutting.
i too love having fewer characters on the roster and therefore less options for playstyles for people to enjoy. please remove more characters from this game nintendo
More like "please Nintendo use your limited resources to make more unique character movesets instead of clones".

KarmaCow

Question about the demo and full game: do the coins transfer? I'm tempted to keep playing the demo to get a full stock of coins but the demo is also very limited and I'll probably get more than enough coins in the full game.

Also are there any easter eggs in the demo, like holding down R to change the music?

More like "please Nintendo use your limited resources to make more unique character movesets instead of clones".

It doesn't work that way. the clones did not get made instead of someone else. if the clones were not made then the roster would just have less characters.

this has been explained hundreds of times in at least four threads and people are still being dumb babies about ~THE SLOT CRISIS~

clones stealin ridleys slots o no

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
It doesn't work that way. the clones did not get made instead of someone else. if the clones were not made then the roster would just have less characters.[/B]

this has been explained hundreds of times in at least four threads and people are still being dumb babies about ~THE SLOT CRISIS~

clones stealin ridleys slots o no
Probably because your rationale is shit. Resources in game development, just like anything else, is limited. Time budgeted for the clones could have been used to make more unique movesets. If that meant having three or even four fewer characters I would have been fine with that. More isn't always better.
Because entirely unique movesets, custom moves, VFX, animations, models and sound effects take the same exact amount of effort to produce as glorified costumes.
See above.

DooD1234

Hey guys is this true? Ike has a color palette that kind of matches Chrom. I was looking through videos and saw Ike color palette that look like it. Can anyone show me a screen shot? If so, I guess Chrom really is kind of in like Daisy.

Probably because your rationale is shit. Resources in game development, just like anything else, is limited. Time budgeted for the clones could have been used to make more unique movesets. If that meant having three or even four fewer characters I would have been fine with that. More isn't always better.

Nope. Sakurai himself has told us that in the development of Melee he cut Dedede, and in the amount of time left from cutting ONE character they added SIX clones.

Cutting every single clone from this game would result in a huge loss of roster size and moveset variance, and might not even have given them enough time to implement an additional unique character.

Remember that Doctor Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina were originally created as alternate costumes with their own voicework and announcer clips, like Alph or the Koopalings, and were bumped up at the last minute to full characters because there was enough time to flesh them out. They didn't even have enough time to do it for Alph, so he didn't get to be a full clone.

These characters were not added instead of someone else. They had finished the roster and had some extra development time left to add a few clones using animation, character model, and audio assets that already existed.

You are asking for the roster to be smaller with nothing in return.

ahTXT2T.gif

Phanservice

Neo Member
I'm been pretty impressed with the 3d effects on the demo so far. When i got the nintendogs assist trophy I couldnt help was laugh. it was sooo cute and popping out! ahha

I'm been pretty impressed with the 3d effects on the demo so far. When i got the nintendogs assist trophy I couldnt help was laugh. it was sooo cute and popping out! ahha

the framerate on assist tropies is BAD. epsecially nintendodogs, ghiriham and dark samus. 3d looked nice though i agree

watershed

Banned
What does the star number next to my character mean? Is that some kind of rating or the number of fights I've won? Does it ever go down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom