• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

daydream

Banned
Hm, the Paper Mario track selection is pretty lacking and the 'Try, Try Again' remix is also kinda weak.

They can't all be winners, I guess.

The Rogueport part of the Paper Mario medley made me nostalgia so hard. But what a... interesting song to pick from PM64 to remix. It's just the Airship theme... whatever. Not one of PM64's most memorable songs.

Although others have probably done it, I've been cataloguing things for the site and was just finishing Kirby hats

http://min.us/mvmbg5lFTk4ZK
ibwLRDgqVdAKiy.png

I know I'm late, but I find it pretty cool that Little Mac's hat gives Kirby the angry eyes.

ZeroX03

Banned
SmashGAF, rocked the 3DS demo, loved it. I've got Brawl on Wii U but I've barely touched it. What's the fastest way to unlock characters? Subspace? Quite a few of the ones I want to try aren't unlocked from the beginning.

This 12 man tourney is a really good glimpse of early competitive play. Really getting a lot of details on certain characters that most streamers won't touch.

Durden77

Yeh the dude playin Ness on the tourney made him look fine. You can tell he's a little slow at startup, but he seems to have more overall reach and recovery. Plus his new animations make him look fun as hell.

Palutena seems godlike.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Man, yeah, the Paper Mario music not using the awesome battle theme or even Decalburg, and using the fucking remix of World 1-1, pisses me off.

Also the Bowser Castle part looks really, really difficult with little room to move. Really disappointed in how that stage turned out except for the middle ship part.

Those could be worse; I was thinking of stuff like "finish X mode on Very Hard with 111% damage" - really specific stuff like that.

What's "clear 9.0," by the way? Is that just the highest difficulty of Classic mode?

I also believe there's a lot of Brawl's "beat so-and-so" with everyone. Have fun beating 100-Man Melee with Ganondorf!

emb

Spending more time with the demo has left me kinda disappointed.

I was happy to see the overall game speed and landing lag are in pretty good shape. The game moves pretty quickly.

But the ledge game is awful (everyone can always recover, autosweetspotting is back, and magnetic ledge grabs are back). So instead of an interesting ledge dynamic, it basically ends up with everyone just getting back and fishing for hits again.

The other big problem is defensive maneuvers. They're really strong. Spot dodging is near instant, rolling is kinda safe, and air dodging is ridiculously safe as long as you aren't close to the ground. Air dodges can still be punished, but you have to pretty much know it's coming. Hitstun is rarely enough that you can get any follow ups, aside from silly tilt->tilt->repeat stuff mostly. Landing lag for dodges is nice though, since it sets up some options selects to keep things going.

This feels like a great game, brought down by a few boneheaded decisions. What worse, these were already pretty much issues in Brawl, purposely left in. It feels less like the brand new game I was hoping for, and more like an improved Brawl. I even went back and tried out a match of Brawl using some character from the demo. Aside from quicker movement and falling speed, it feels really similar. Hopefully this changes as I (and other people) learn it better, especially with the impact of brand new, really unique characters. I have to say though, an improved Brawl is at least better than most games.

And I'm really surprised how bearable the 3DS controls are. They're not optimal at all, but I can play and not even notice it now. They're fine, even L for grab and no c-stick. It does hurt my hands, and I'm still excited for GCN controllers, but I don't mind playing on 3DS.

emb

Thanks for the tournament link!

This 12 man tourney is a really good glimpse of early competitive play. Really getting a lot of details on certain characters that most streamers won't touch.
Yeah, it's feels pretty different seeing an actual match with something on the line, as opposed to just some streamers (even good players) messing around or playing online.

Revven

One of Falco's custom lasers is an electric ball he shoots that works like Robin's fire spell -- that is, it hits the opponent multiple times and then the last hit is a strong pop-up hit. It also has windboxes on it!

You can see TKBreezy messing with it here: www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp

I was wondering what they could do to reduce the size of the game, but only 2 songs per stage makes sense. Playing the demo reduced my hype enough to make the next 3 weeks not so rough. Thanks Nintendo!

From my understanding, these are the bonus songs in the game (the ones that don't play on any stage):

Melee Rainbow Cruise
Brawl Bramble Blast
New Dark World/Dungeon
New Ballad of the Goddess/Ghirahim's Theme
Melee Temple
Brawl Yoshi's Story Ending
Brawl Legendary Air Ride Machine
New Area 6/Missile Slipstream
Brawl With Mila's Divine Protection
New In the Space Pirate Ship
Original Boss Battle 1
Original Dark Pit
Original Wrath of the Reset Bomb
Original Mechanical Rhythm
New Mysterious Murasame Castle Medley
Brawl Tetris Type A
New Airman Stage
New Sparkman Stage
New Pac-man's Park

And... I think that's it aside from maybe some Smash Bros series stuff I might've missed because that stuff is all over the place.

SmashGAF, rocked the 3DS demo, loved it. I've got Brawl on Wii U but I've barely touched it. What's the fastest way to unlock characters? Subspace? Quite a few of the ones I want to try aren't unlocked from the beginning.

Subspace is probably the least boring way to do it. took me somewhere between 8-10 hours to finish and unlock everyone that way.

You can always do the much more grindy 1 stock insta death thing to play hundreds of brawls as quickly as possible (450 for the last one), but that's just not fun (in my opinion)

Forkball

If you pick the same color as someone else online, you keep your colors but you get a dark tint over your character. So many Pink Macs I had to put down...

Also I dare you to have an all Pac-Man match and see if you can follow your character.

From my understanding, these are the bonus songs in the game (the ones that don't play on any stage):

Melee Rainbow Cruise
Brawl Bramble Blast
New Dark World/Dungeon
New Ballad of the Goddess/Ghirahim's Theme
Melee Temple
Brawl Yoshi's Story Ending
Brawl Legendary Air Ride Machine
New Area 6/Missile Slipstream
Brawl With Mila's Divine Protection
New In the Space Pirate Ship
Original Boss Battle 1
Original Dark Pit
Original Wrath of the Reset Bomb
Original Mechanical Rhythm
New Mysterious Murasame Castle Medley
Brawl Tetris Type A
New Airman Stage
New Sparkman Stage
New Pac-man's Park

And... I think that's it aside from maybe some Smash Bros series stuff I might've missed because that stuff is all over the place.

I'm guessing that all of these will be accessible through My Music in the Wii U version as well.

ffdgh

If you pick the same color as someone else online, you keep your colors but you get a dark tint over your character. So many Pink Macs I had to put down...

Also I dare you to have an all Pac-Man match and see if you can follow your character.

Thankyou touch screen lockon!

ZeroX03

Banned
Subspace is probably the least boring way to do it. took me somewhere between 8-10 hours to finish and unlock everyone that way.

You can always do the much more grindy 1 stock insta death thing to play hundreds of brawls as quickly as possible (450 for the last one), but that's just not fun (in my opinion)

Ugh either way that's a good chunk of time. I appreciate unlockable characters from a single player point of view, but damn they suck for people who just want to get straight into practice mode.

TreIII

100%. I recognize practically every voice clip from all 8 of them. All NSMB voice clips, sadly. But hey, it's definitely good enough.
Yeah. But it definitely shows how much things have come along, with the new recordings from MK8 being that much better.

If it weren't for that pretty much everybody in the Mario camp seems to be reusing Brawl recordings, it might have been a bit more disappointing.

8bit-nick

Neo Member
hey GAF, i have 2 codes i have not used from my platinum club membership.

who want's them? first two people to PM me will get them for the demo.

thanks

edit: just gave away them both.

enjoy AKyemeni and Crimsonclaw111

Yeah. But it definitely shows how much things have come along, with the new recordings from MK8 being that much better.

If it weren't for that pretty much everybody in the Mario camp seems to be reusing Brawl recordings, it might have been a bit more disappointing.

It's not just Mario's series. Practically everyone is using their Brawl voices, a few are even using Melee voices. I think only Ness and Pit have a new voice from Brawl, maybe a couple others I didn't notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom