• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Took me forever to get 4 K.O.s, kept trying the kirby trick but the Miis would always footstool me on the way down. I eventually got it with Lil Mac though.

I don't really care about the challenge board, I was just trying it and not wanting to cheese it that hard.

Ended up resorting to using Marth. Tippers + counters racked up damage pretty well and kept enemies away. Even with his nerfed range he still beats out all but the gunners.

Still, I did good to get 1 KO, but I could deal around 400 combined damage and live over a minute!

Valus

I know one of his counters lasts longer. I just suck at using all counters. I'm never able to implement them naturally. It becomes me trying to counter everything!

I understand what you're saying. Being counter happy is definitely no bueno. Guess you gotta step up your stuff and learn the counter game! Tips: Use against dash attacks and aerial rush downs. Do not use when you are coming back down to the stage vertically unless you got a hard read - it usually doesn't work.

Boogiepop

I'll definitely be curious to see what ends up happening with counters in competitive play for this game as things develop. Unless I missed something (which is totally possible because I only ever drifted in and out of paying attention to competitive stuff), counters have always been the sort of moves you never use competitively, but they do seem to have buffed them up with the new characters, at least at a rough glance.

Dr.Hadji

Who out there has some tips or something? It's becoming a frustrating experience against some characters.

Honestly, I think the way everyone is playing Mega Man isn't playing into his greatest strength. You say MM has problems with all these match ups (fast, bulky, reflectors,ect). I say MM is my character who has a pretty fair match up against any type.

The trick is simple. Aggressive lemons. Lemons lemons lemons. With lemon shots, and MM's good movement you can always apply some decent pressure.

F-tilt Lemons are great for movement, but on hit they don't apply enough hit stun to keep you safe during the three shot cool down.
Standing lemons are safe.
Short hop lemons to fade away or approach.
And the hard body hit of the standing or air lemon.

Knowing when do move between those 4 lemon types allows MM to have fairly great control and keeps him safe from reflectors and speed monsters. It's kind of hard to explain but I hope to have some video soon.

RomanceDawn

Doesn't matter, heh.

Hey man good games. I would have kept going but I'm just not feeling it at the moment I need a rest.

I'm going through this phase I went through in Brawl where I want to use a 3rd character but I just can't figure out who. Ridley or Dixie was supposed to be that 3rd and now before they get revealed(lol) I'm thinking of Sonic or Wii Fit Trainer. Really though I have no idea.

@Gino - No problem. I just left as well. Getting kinda of tired.

Monster Zero

My 2 favorite stages are Flat Zone 2 and Yoshi's island with Ending credits playing, those 2 tracks are so cool. Silly to say, but playing to my favorite stage toon helps me out, wish we could use music filters on 3ds

Well, I'm finally starting to use other characters. I've been focused on Bowser for quite some time, and then I let him go and tried a couple of others, playing Smash Run (and Solo) until I unlocked every single custom move for the character being used. They were:

- Little Mac: I had to understand why everybody was using him, so I tried him for a while. Nice power, good in stages with no places to fall, but his aerial capability and recovery were kinda awful to me. Didn't like him that much.

- Zero Suit Samus: Great character, fast as hell. I couldn't manage to get all of its power, obviously, but it felt so strong. I think that this might end up as one of my sub characters.

- Fox: One of the first characters that I played as, now I kinda understand him more. Still, it went down on my list after I tested a couple of other characters.

- Lucina/Marth - I'm putting them together because even if there are a couple of differences between them, they were kinda similar to me. I loved them, the counters, the moves, the way they play. If I hit a ceiling too early with Bowser, I'll probably main Lucina or Marth. Being able to counter stuff is one of the greatest feelings that I had so far.

Bowser is still very fun to play with, but playing with faster characters is so good. (I'm speccing all my characters on SPD/ATK, except for Bowser, if customization is on)

Falawful

Oh, I'm not doubting the character. I know he's got game. The playstyle is just tough for me to get. Like I hit a skill ceiling, you know?
That's part of why I find him appealing to play.

His movements are pretty deliberate and stiff, so once you're familiar with how he acts and how his moves come out, it's sort of just a matter of constantly switching things up. I don't think he really has a set path of moves or combos that are essential, but a few things I try to do when playing:

- As someone said earlier, his lemon shots are better than you think. Well-timed shots will make Link, for instance, be forced to approach because your shots nullify all his projectiles. This is true for many other characters. Lemons also stop dash attacks cold, which you could follow up with a grab (preferably roll cancelled) or a slide. Follow up a dash with a fair, and a dtilt with a Uair.

- If on the ledge, a good tactic can be to fall away, then short hop and fire a crash bomb at a waiting opponent, then take advantage of them shielding/blowing up to safely return without being punished. You could also drop and send em skyward with Uair before coming back up.

- Might sound odd, but throwing in the occasional UpB to get in the air, then fast falling back onto it to bounce again can be a bit of a mindgame, since some players might try to follow you up there thinking you're vulnerable. Doesn't work all that often, but maybe throw it in once in awhile.

- Buzzsaw can be a good way to avoid being juggled. Throw it below you as you're coming down, possibly moving away then throwing it diagonally back at your opponent. You can also throw it up as an extra projectile with Uair if you're the one doing the juggling.

- Dsmash is excellent for people that roll more than pill bugs, and Usmash has good priority and is also the least risky smash attack he has.

- If all else fails, Fair it. Fair all the things.

Hope some of that helps. I'm not exactly godly with him myself, but he is my most succesful character so whatever that's worth.

Cedric

Good games man, can't short hop for shit with lag, but you've for sure upped your game. I need to fiht more rosa's period

Thanks man! Yea the lag was bad, especially during that last match. Great G&W as usual, GGs let's play some other time!

Luma's really a forced to be reckoned with, crazy how it can K.O. you from anywhere on the stage.

Monster Zero

Thanks man! Yea the lag was bad, especially during that last match. Great G&W as usual, GGs let's play some other time!

Luma's really a forced to be reckoned with, crazy how it can K.O. you from anywhere on the stage.

I really wish we could have kept going, I was trying multiple approaches each match, it becomes a game of the mind pretty much. Custom moves will help me zone better during the tourney *game and watches Bacon doubles distance*

Finally got to play online. A new $25 Netgear router (beat my ~$90 Belkin) solved the issue. Was lag free other than 2 matches that had a strange 5-10 second pause in the middle.

Anyway, if anyone is having issues still try a different router. I had spent several support sessions online with Nintendo Support who even remote accessed my machine and confirmed the old router was properly configured. The new router worked without any configuring.

Top Bottom