• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

jorgejjvr

10f6431f6cc4fcc0ae251ee85da069f05061aa6cd52bb0f95ccfcdee06e117eb.jpg

Let's do it
Haven't lost with him yet in for glory xD

Boogiepop

Well, I finished off Samus' custom moves and apparently collected all the outfits in my quest for these last 2 trophies. I think I'll take that opportunity to call it a day, and then take it slow and steady in making further attempts, for the sake of my sanity. Classic mode was also mocking me at the end there, giving me like 10 trophies between the paths, all completely useless of course. I kind of wish you could sell off your extra trophies or something, though in theory I guess that may have just resulted in everything being more expensive to balance out...

Azure J

I'm starting to come around on Pit after playing him a bit today and realizing that he has some pretty cool buttons for different hops (short hop nair autocancels if it doesn't get fast falled during the whirling staff animation, uair has like zero landing lag, dair and fair are average and I haven't tested bair enough yet) and he has some combo shenanigans based on nair and fair strings. He also has pretty godly buttons thanks to the new trails and reach. Feels like he gets mauled though in matchups against fast characters like Sheik. Also doesn't help that Palutena's Bow got nerfed in terms of how much recovery the animation has after use. Overall though, I think I'm slowly getting over the initial weird feeling I had towards him.

Marth, Pit, ZSS, Greninja confirmed. Now it's all about figuring out Palutena/Rosalina.

jorgejjvr

I love you fair
Yeahhh really hard to do anything about. I'm probably not half as good as you for now, since I just started playing with ness, I realized I have never touched him, and I've been trying every character. And I probably had over 20 for glory battles with ness and have not lost, pk fire, grab, f air, or just f air, people are dumbfounded haha it really is a great move, he might be one of my subs

Twice now while learning Robin and playing against not-as-good players, I've had them switch to Robin after losing a few matches to try and beat me with them. It feels good to be that impressive with a character that I'm just starting to play with. (Then again, these guys both had pretty limited strategies.)

jorgejjvr

Twice now while learning Robin and playing against not-as-good players, I've had them switch to Robin after losing a few matches to try and beat me with them. It feels good to be that impressive with a character that I'm just starting to play with. (Then again, these guys both had pretty limited strategies.)
Haven't really looked too much into Robin but it's his archfire anything like pk fire? xD

I fought this Rosalina who pretty much just grabbed at every opportunity and even though I saw them coming the lag made it really hard to spot dodge them and

im salty

I'm about to give up on Mega Man, guys. He's got like zero good response to half the characters on the roster. If they are fast and in-your face your screwed. If they have a reflector, you lose like half your arsenal (all slow enough to easily reflect). If they are combo-y in the air, you are screwed (Mega has powerful aerials, but none except bair are fast enough and have enough priority to defend against them), if they are a heavy character and can rack up damage on you in a few hits, you are super screwed.

All-around characters I can generally handle, unless they have a reflector, of course. When you start getting into extreme characters, Mega Man really falls off. Fast characters pose a huge thread, as do slow and heavy characters.

It seems to me like Mega Man loses half his moveset in some matchups. If they are in-your-face, you have no defense or "get off me!" because you lack a jab and a forward tilt. Your forward smash, while powerful, isn't fast enough to punish and neither is it quick enough to hit a competent player off guard unless you luckily read a roll or ledge jump or you hitstunned them enough to get them with it. His downsmash is strong, but awfully laggy. His dash attack is good but again, super laggy and punishable. His dtilt is good, but hardly good enough to do over and over. His uptilt is godlike but has a small hitbox. Hit Usmash is good, but doesn't hit characters on the ground. His projectiles are too slow for characters to have to do much to deal with them.

Pretty much, bottom line, I love playing Mega Man but his attacks aren't quick enough to make him useful int he majority of situations. All his attacks are super laggy, and he has so much less options on the ground as other characters. In the air, he's way better but he has nothing that you can combo into to rack up damage.

I feel so predictable when I play MM because on the ground I can only do a few moves without getting punished everytime: dtilt, pellet...that's pretty much it. Dash attack is super easy to punish with it's lag. He has no jab, he has no ftilt. His buzzsaw is a good change-up but too slow to hit most of the time. Crashbomb is useful when it hits, but again, easy to shield.

Maybe I'm missing some obvious Mega Man thing that everyone is doing that I just can't. the only thing that stands out to me is grabs, which are good, but when all you have is grabs at your disposal on the ground, your opponent knows you are going to grab all the bloody time.

Who out there has some tips or something? It's becoming a frustrating experience against some characters.

Are you throwing Metal Blade into the ground to get its full potential?

Haven't really looked too much into Robin but it's his archfire anything like pk fire? xD

Yeah, Arcfire is basically PK Fire except it has a slightly slower start-up (I think) but the fire pillar still activates even if it misses. Also, there's some knockback at the end of the move if your opponent gets caught in the sweet spot.

RomanceDawn

GGs Romance!

First match I thought I actually had a chance. After that though I realize I am still completely out classed against your Ness.

While I can beat your other characters more or less with my 2 mains you just have a much better handle on the controls and spacing in general.

Good now give my tips! Aside from my suicides though today I did more smashes then I meant to. Several times an up tilt would have gotten you out of my face at least for a second but I kept up smashing.

Anyone up for some games?

jorgejjvr

I might go crazy and pick ness too... Even tho I only had minutes of practice in the 3DS version xD and this ain't it lol. We are doing free for us first to warm up, so hopefully I get the feel for someone on that time, been years since I played brawl, even less of project m xD

Are you up for some matches?

Yea let me take my dog out first.

Romance. Your DK is much better than your Bowser. I think your main problem is as you said, spacing, and anticipating attacks. I would often lure you to rush forward so I could snag a fair on you. You need to have more movement too. Often times people develop routines, and when they are done with their attack routine they have these moments where they kind of just sit back and do nothing. Usually this is where I rush in and confuse the hell out of the opponent, because when you throw them off their routine, they make mistakes.

Sometimes it's beneficial to short hop and jump around and move forward and move back even if you aren't really doing anything, because it helps mask your routine.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Shulk, why can't one of your alt down specials not be a counter? I suck at countering. Never use characters who have it because it's a wasted move.

RomanceDawn

Yea let me take my dog out first.

Romance. Your DK is much better than your Bowser. I think your main problem is as you said, spacing, and anticipating attacks. I would often lure you to rush forward so I could snag a fair on you. You need to have more movement too. Often times people develop routines, and when they are done with their attack routine they have these moments where they kind of just sit back and do nothing. Usually this is where I rush in and confuse the hell out of the opponent, because when you throw them off their routine, they make mistakes.

Sometimes it's beneficial to short hop and jump around and move forward and move back even if you aren't really doing anything, because it helps mask your routine.

Ah very sound advice! Thank you!

Cedric

Who wants to battle? I wanna practice with Rosaluma, get rekt, and hopefully get better so I can at least pass round 1 of the upcoming tournament!

FC is in my profile!

Top Bottom