• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

I played a really good Marth player about a half-hour ago, it'd be funny if it was you a haha.

I've been playing strictly Rosalina these past few days on For Glory, I am really liking this character. Only thing I dislike is nair (I can't find any use for this) and the fact that I can't seem to get a use out of her short hops, I rarely connect her bair during matches unless we're off the stage.

According to smashboards data her Nair actually has the least amount of landing lag despite how it looks.
I've watched some tournament footage and it seems that short hop Nairs are pretty popular since it seems to be a good poking option. As far as I can tell it's a move that does piss poor damage but just throws out a big hitbox.

Sponge

Banned
So I saw this on Tumblr today.

tumblr_nd706mqvQh1s514nio1_1280.png

Then my friend decided to combine the two.

WunXsbA.png

Neiteio

Putting aside the Mac "controversy" for a moment, the character's popularity makes me happy for Sakurai, since I recall him saying in the April Direct that it was really challenging making a character that's all about punching. Well, he did it, and made possibly one of the most popular characters in the game! I imagine that has to be immensely satisfying for him as he (presumably) reviews the character use data online (same stuff that goes into Conquest mode).

Moonlight

Banned
This is the most annoying thing for me personally. Sometimes I'll see Moonlight or exFatal online when I'm in the mood to 1v1. But aside from PMing them on GAF or hoping that they're on the IRC I have no means of inviting them to games.

I'm really eager for the Wii U version to come out if only for these small quality of life options that should be in any fighting game released in 2014...
Speaking of, you up for 1v1 right now or...? :p

Aaaaand anyone up for some matches?

0301-9856-6792
I'm really interested in seeing your Ness after all the hype, haha. I fully expect to get bodied, but that I don't mind.

My FC is 3668-7701-9486!

Who

Banned
Yes! This actually happened in my session earlier. I was Greninja and shooting the weak water shurikens at my opponent and he wouldn't approach. He'd either stand there and eat it or stand there and shield the projectile. As if they want you to approach, which isn't necessarily bad thinking but just standing there and shielding the projectiles won't do you any good -- why should I approach, you know? :p

You'd know if it was me because my in-game tag is Revven as well. :p

Yes. Hard to tell what they are trying to do sometimes honestly. I know they want me to come to them but they just soak up so much projectile damage.

In For Glory, anyone ever been in a situation where the opponent won't come to you and you just shoot projectiles at them and the opponent just kind of stand there and literally eat it?

Sounds like player disconnected and your left battling a lvl 3

Neiteio

You haven't experienced true fun until you've played 4-player Smash local. Period.

What an absolute blast. Posted a thread the other day that I talked some colleagues into splurging on some systems and the games. We went out last night and dropped like a grand at Best Buy, and tonight we ordered pizza, bought a bunch of beer, and sat down to play around 6pm.

Four hours passed by in a blink. It was hilarious - we were trash talking and screaming and just laughing our asses off the entire time.

Kirby B-down is annoying as hell, and Little Mac is absolutely ridiculous. Man, I haven't had that much playing video games in... shit... years. I'm not even kidding... brought me back to being a kid again. It's a charm I haven't had the pleasure to enjoy in too long of a time. Please, if you miss that old-school couch gaming, do yourself a favor and set this up. I promise you won't regret it. I'm still smiling.

15489504131_e216e21ceb_b.jpg
Old-school couch gaming is still strong at my place. Nintendo Land, 3D World and Mario Kart 8 have been hysterical to play with my group of friends. I'm SO EXCITED for the WiiU version of Smash. Can't wait to play it with them. :)

I played some of Smash 3DS in person with my brother today, too, although we mainly treated it as a lab session, testing out various characters. Still fun. :-D

XeroSauce

Yo.

What is up with Rosalina's crouch?

She's bending her butt back like some kind of contortionist. Does she not know how to duck or sit?

DooD1234

Had a good hour and a half session on For Glory, here's some stuff on what I've learned/thought/whatever:

I'm really enjoying Greninja. He's a little strange compared to, say, Sheik and Falco in terms of his aerials. With his jump height and fall speed being very close to those two characters I mentioned earlier it's really... weird to hit with his aerials sometimes. After this session, I've learned you can actually go offstage pretty safely with Greninja's Fair for an edgeguard but it requires finesse and really good timing with how you fastfall and move in the air. It's really satisfying when you do it, though. So, I think I'm going to stick with Greninja as one of my characters.

Doc I'm really enjoying as well. The pills just have a much better bounce trajectory than Mario and honestly, I'm not really missing those Dthrow > Utilt combos much because Doc's Dthrow can still set up well for his Uair strings and sometimes, if I'm lucky the guy doesn't air dodge asap, I can do the ol' Dthrow > Fair (aka the KOBEEEEE) combo that was in Melee. Really fun. Also, he's a pretty good counterpick for a character like Robin -- pills bounce in a way that Robin's projectiles can't hit them very well and Doc has the cape to reflect Robin's projectiles back at him + his aerials are really good at beating out Robin's Levin Smash attacks. In contrast, I found it much harder to beat said smash attacks with any of Greninja's aerials.

Also, Dark Pit... while there's not many actual differences to regular Pit I'm (for some reason) enjoying him as well. I never really complained about Dark Pit in terms of "cloneyness", I more cared about if the differences he has help more than hurt. While Side B's difference is debatable as to whether it's worse than Pit's, neutral B is actually probably much better (at least compared to Pit's default neutral B). At least, in the way I use Dark Pit's neutral B -- that is, I charge it up a little bit to get as much damage out of it as possible (I think max is 10%? A 10% projectile isn't bad, it's pretty dang crazy given its speed and how it can intercept people if you read their trajectory). My only complaint, which also applies to Pit, are his aerials. Fair did not need to be another multi-hit spin attack with his blades. It really didn't. I feel this hurts the character's combo potential because of how long Fair lasts which makes it hard to chase offstage with and do a sort of wall of pain-esque Fair version. I've only done it once but that was probably due to the guy being really poor at VI'ing/air dodging. Both of these guys would have been better off with the old Brawl Fair, to be honest.

It's like we traded a better Side B for a worse Fair. :/ (aka Sakurai likes spinny blades!)

I played more Marth as well but not against a particularly good player. I think Ganondorf is going to have a hard time coming back to the stage against Marth, though. Bair/Fair (when tipped) really hurt Ganondorf offstage, to the point where after one Bair/Fair he literally cannot come back and can die at like 60%-75% range aka literally gimping him. The same also applies to Falcon, though it's a little harder because Falcon has slightly better air mobility. In any case, both of these characters can't really stop Marth from just gliding down to Fair or Bair them, it's likely if they try they'll die anyway. Anyway, as for Marth in general... it's still really weird to try and get used to his shorter range. I'm kind of getting the hang of it but man, Dtilt feels so, so, bad without the range it had before. What a well spaced Dtilt looked like in Melee/Brawl is so commonplace for me to do and I just end up missing/falling short every time. :/

So far, my For Glory experience has had very little on-screen lag and input delay. It has felt pretty great, honestly. It's a great mode to grind out a character and see what works on human players of varying levels of skill.

Oh and I forgot to mention: I hate Little Mac's dash attack. It's way too fast, even when you know they're going for it it's hard to find an answer to it that will beat it (aka a move fast enough to hit him before the dash attack comes out). I'd really like to know how many frames of start-up it has and when the hitbox comes out... maybe I should use Training Mode's handy frame advance to find out one afternoon (although someone will probably already have frame data compiled for Mac by then anyway lol).

Phew, that was a long post but I just thought I'd share my experience from tonight. :p

I honestly prefer Pit better simply because I can curve my arrows rather than simply change the angle of how it shoots straight. I also find the slight increase in damage in and the diagonal knock back angle from Dark Pit Side B pretty negligible as it doesn't really make much difference. I agree with Pit fair though, I need that attack to knock opponents farther from the ring and the last hit just won't connect and the range feels much shorter than it looks.

Marth still feels pretty good overall but it feels so unsafe to short hop and fair at the opponent now especially when they shield. They can just pretty much hit you if you didn't hit them with fair. And the nerf on his range wouldn't be so bad if he didn't get slower too. Don't know bout you but I keep missing my f-tilts against opponents sometimes and I just take a smash attack to the face.

And yeah Lil Mac dash attack is ridiculously fast. He can even use a tilt of of his dash attack pretty instantaneously and his tilt has super armor it too to boot. Just try it in the training room and look how fast Mac can miss a dash attack and use a tilt afterwards.

Boy does Mario suck.

No range, minimal power, and no speed.

Nice back throw, though.
Mario's air game is awesome, though. And he's got a pretty good selection of kill moves and combo potential. I like him, anyway.

Also, anyone want to help me train my Robin. I reeeeeaaally suck with him and would like to get him more competitive. 1v1, no items.

DooD1234

Mario's air game is awesome, though. And he's got a pretty good selection of kill moves and combo potential. I like him, anyway.

Also, anyone want to help me train my Robin. I reeeeeaaally suck with him and would like to get him more competitive. 1v1, no items.
I'll help. FC is 5327 0960 1912

It's times like these that I'm glad we have portable Smash now. I just beat 9.0 classic for the first time. No customizations, just good old fashioned Samus ass kicking and a lot of stress (sweet baby Jesus the stress). All while heading towards my sister's place in the passangers seat of her car.
It felt damn good.

Moonlight

Banned

Not to be too presumptuous about my Robin skills (because really, I'm not great), but s/he's my main and I've done a reasonably fair amount of research on him/her if you're up for it later.

ofc then i fail at doing any of them because of nerve johns

I can play a few right now.
Nice! Gimme a sec to add your FC and sign onto online.

Not to be too presumptuous about my Robin skills (because really, I'm not great), but s/he's my main and I've done a reasonably fair amount of research on him/her if you're up for it later.

Nice! Gimme a sec to add your FC and sign onto online.

Ah well I am playing someone else now. Will let you know when I am donw

Haha, well that was particularly bad. Sorry for the rough start!

That would be awesome. Will definitely take you up on that.

Beats

Does anyone want to play 1v1, no items? FC is 5241-2199-5344. If you're on my friends list already feel free to join my room lol.

Top Bottom