• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
not enough skillz for that

Grab at edge, pivot, jump backwards and Wizkick. They die and you land on the stage like a boss.

Wizkick is also a noob killer for losers who like to hang off the ledge.

Unless you are a Kirby character you ain't coming back from that.

Fuck. Lost my entire post.

A break would definitely be a good thing I think. Maybe take a few weeks away from the game and think of any other characters you might be interested in playing.
Don't want to play anyone else. I pick my character and stick. Just how I am.

Join the winning team (Mother). Become a Lucas main
Nah. I need to main a non-human. I just can't be happy seeing humans win.

Never will understand your hatred of USF4. It's an ok game, I get some enjoyment out of it. Will you be joining the SF5 beta?
Slow, boring, turtly. Watch this and tell me it looks fun:

https://youtu.be/D80AU1H43e0

That is some tight, top level play, and I respect it. But no way am I playing shit like that in my spare time. Might as well play Ganondorf mirrors.

Mother hasn't had a new game in almost 10 years, why is it the winning team?
My understanding is that the series had a story to tell. It got told, and now it is done. No harm or shame in that. Am I right on that, Shamrock?

Otherwise you end up with hardcore bullshit like Chrono Cross, one of the worst games ever made.

FSLink

Banned
Mother hasn't had a new game in almost 10 years, why is it the winning team?

Because the series has the best looking limited edition portable:

sWwKExB.jpg

U9RUgqU.jpg

I really hope Lucas has his momentum stuff still.

Though to be real I'll probably just juggle through the entire cast like usual. :x

TWILT

Banned
GGs Nami! Your Yoshi's quite the beast as always. For reference, if you can bait Power Vision, I can't spam it since it loses a lot more active frames the more I use it. You can also hit Shulk's Vision while he's countering with a projectile and since you won't be slowed down, you can roll/dodge the counter hit.
Slightly fewer active frames (LOL).

All of Shulk's customs are basically upgrades.

Aside from Vision, not at all. In fact, the most essential set for Shulk's EVO custom sets is 1113.

Boney

Banned
I LOVE Snakeeyez Gief. So good.

Good games puruzi, we went for a long time.

Samus might as well give up against a Pikachu. It's a horrible match up. And little Mac, pls listen to event hubs and nerf

Puruzi

Banned
I LOVE Snakeeyez Gief. So good.

Good games puruzi, we went for a long time.

Samus might as well give up against a Pikachu. It's a horrible match up. And little Mac, pls listen to event hubs and nerf

LittleMac doesn't need to get nerfed. Back throw then hit him ezpz win
ayy lmao

I know what you mean guy. Part of why I prefer maining the nonhuman characters barring Ganon.
Ganondorf is like a demon in human form. Doesn't look like a normal man. I am cool with him.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=inf+-+3

And Fei vs Zangief would definitely be one of the slowest matchups in the game lol..
Try anything vs. Blanka.

If I went back to SFIV seriously, I think I would pick up Akuma.

I think part of what bothers me about USFIV is it is so RANDOM. People call Marvel random, but it is really consistent and free-flowing in the neutral. In SF, EX moves ruin everything. You can't ever throw a fireball, because your opponent might just feel like EX whatever through it into a hard knockdown followed by a long and painful Oki game. It just isn't good game design. Everything is a guess.

I plan on doing a video about this, but there are two kinds of action combat:
Deliberate Combat, where attacks you make are things you commit to. You suffer the consequences of those choices.

Reaction Combat, where attacks you make are usually cancelable into something else. You can usually get out of your decision by tunneling into a new one.

Souls games and Monster Hunter games are of the first kind. Bayonetta is of the second.

IMO, fighting games are better when they are of the second kind. Everything is safe, and hitting someone is more about them making a mistake than you guessing right. Like in Marvel, nothing is unsafe unless you are a fool. In Street Fighter, everything is unsafe. In Smash, you are kind of in-between just because of how spacing works.

Too tired to say a lot about this now, but that might be enough.

GGs Nami! Your Yoshi's quite the beast as always. For reference, if you can bait Power Vision, I can't spam it since it loses a lot more active frames the more I use it. You can also hit Shulk's Vision while he's countering with a projectile and since you won't be slowed down, you can roll/dodge the counter hit.

Aside from Vision, not at all. In fact, the most essential set for Shulk's EVO custom sets is 1113.

Yeah, the Monado Arts are match up/player preference, the Air Slashes all have their up and downsides, and nobody actually likes any of the Backslashes better than the default.

Power Vision is definitely an upgrade but only really because counters shouldn't really be used unless you know it'll hit. The downside to it is pretty real tbh (altho maybe death shouldn't really fully refresh it).

Good games, Thulius. But I don't know. You just played better than me. I never felt threatened by Greninja at all. I don't care about Water Shuriken, his grab isn't frightening at all, his air to air is weak, very few of his moves chain together even though they blatantly look like they should. I felt like I was losing to the player far more than the character. I don't really have any confidence in Greninja right now. He just feels so thoroughly "mid tier" when he should be so much better.

Oidisco

Good games, Thulius. But I don't know. You just played better than me. I never felt threatened by Greninja at all. I don't care about Water Shuriken, his grab isn't frightening at all, his air to air is weak, very few of his moves chain together even though they blatantly look like they should. I felt like I was losing to the player far more than the character. I don't really have any confidence in Greninja right now. He just feels so thoroughly "mid tier" when he should be so much better.

Gotta start gettin them footstool and jab lock combos!

TWILT

Banned
Saro, my thoughts on these Shulk dittos so far:
  • Your Shulk's actually pretty decent! Don't be too hard on yourself!
  • That said, don't swing NAir too wildly. Remember to try your best to space it at the tip of the Monado, or you're just asking to shield grabbed. FAir too.
  • You have a habit of rolling backwards when you're about to take pressure. Mix it up a bit! I like just using blocking and respecting my opponent's attacks, though remember your opponent also has a grab.
  • You don't seem to like using Buster that much if at all. I know it can be risky using it, but honestly it's not that bad if you know when to read your opponent. I feel like you're missing out on a lot of potential Shulk damage.
  • Don't throw out Shulk's FSmash too much either. I know it can be very satisfying to hit, but it's pretty punishable on block. I use it for punishes only (though it is a great punish tool.)
  • And don't panic air dodge so much either.
  • I like your use of Jump and Speed though. Good stuff with Shulk's DTilt too.

Thulius

Good games. I dunno, I feel like his air to air is pretty strong in an environment where you can actually punish airdodges on reaction. Online I'm guessing airdodges and DI so it's like whatever just Uair and if they dodge then play more neutral. Offline it's much easier to bait and punish with Uair spike, Dair, Bair, whatever. His jump height and fall speed make it kinda impossible to dodge anything but Fair on reaction.

Uthrow sets up perfectly for all his air to air shenanigans but again, having to guess DI/airdodges makes it a lot weaker. I think the more time I spend with him the more I understand how his tools are designed to work in tandem, and it still feels like I have a lot to learn about a lot of matchups.

Not saying Greninja's top tier or anything but I really think you're selling him short.

Gotta start gettin them footstool and jab lock combos!

Ehh, unless you land a really unsafe Bair or a poorly DIed (and also unsafe) Nair at low %s he doesn't really have any realistic setups for that stuff. jab jab footstool Dair is decent at really high %s but that's techable. Basically the only way to make those combos a real threat is to play a super risky neutral that loses to anyone patient enough to just block.

TWILT

Banned
I'd also recommend saving some replays if you haven't already, Saro. Always good to look back and find out what your mistakes were.

Saro

Saro, my thoughts on these Shulk dittos so far:
  • Your Shulk's actually pretty decent! Don't be too hard on yourself!
  • That said, don't swing NAir too wildly. Remember to try your best to space it at the tip of the Monado, or you're just asking to shield grabbed. FAir too.
  • You have a habit of rolling backwards when you're about to take pressure. Mix it up a bit! I like just using blocking and respecting my opponent's attacks, though remember your opponent also has a grab.
  • You don't seem to like using Buster that much if at all. I know it can be risky using it, but honestly it's not that bad if you know when to read your opponent. I feel like you're missing out on a lot of potential Shulk damage.
  • Don't throw out Shulk's FSmash too much either. I know it can be very satisfying to hit, but it's pretty punishable on block. I use it for punishes only (though it is a great punish tool.)
  • And don't panic air dodge so much either.
  • I like your use of Jump and Speed though. Good stuff with Shulk's DTilt too.

Thanks I noticed that you would punish me with uptilt every time I try to jump in or away after a hit.

I'm not good with comments during matches im always gittery

Doesn't Buster make him safer on shield too

Good games. I dunno, I feel like his air to air is pretty strong in an environment where you can actually punish airdodges on reaction. Online I'm guessing airdodges and DI so it's like whatever just Uair and if they dodge then play more neutral. Offline it's much easier to bait and punish with Uair spike, Dair, Bair, whatever. His jump height and fall speed make it kinda impossible to dodge anything but Fair on reaction.

Uthrow sets up perfectly for all his air to air shenanigans but again, having to guess DI/airdodges makes it a lot weaker. I think the more time I spend with him the more I understand how his tools are designed to work in tandem, and it still feels like I have a lot to learn about a lot of matchups.

Not saying Greninja's top tier or anything but I really think you're selling him short.

He's good, but he doesn't FEEL good. He doesn't really scare people, he doesn't have early KO's, his terrible frame data forces him to respect most characters. I feel like nobody is really truly "great" at Greninja and making the most of him, for one. And for two, that stupid shuriken nerf was excessive.

Pika gets an infinite in customs.

Customs makes things more balanced. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Top character benefit more than lower ones lol, and characters like Meta Knight and Yoshi get completely left behind.

Top Bottom