• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

I made a room if anyone wants to play.

Karsticles, I'm gonna fight Tipster for now. Sorry, but you had me intrigued by a fellow Mega Man player, so I'm gonna take up the challenge! We'll definitely fight more though. Gotta get more experience with Mewtwo.

Tipster, what's your NNID? Mine is Namagem.
No worries, you made the right choice. I want to hear the set record.

Karsticles, I'm gonna fight Tipster for now. Sorry, but you had me intrigued by a fellow Mega Man player, so I'm gonna take up the challenge! We'll definitely fight more though. Gotta get more experience with Mewtwo.

Tipster, what's your NNID? Mine is Namagem.
It's BlackMage, but I sent a request already :)

A very good read for sure.

He comments on how he can't cater too much toward balancing for 1v1 or advanced players because it'll hurt casual players in the long run (if certain unsafe moves were buffed for 1v1 they'd no doubt become especially effective in a FFA.) Sakurai also notes that competitive Sm4sh tends to take a while because top players don't take many risks with smash attacks, lol.

It's a cool insight into how he approaches balancing a game that can be validly played in so many ways. No doubt whoever has to take over for him in the future will need to understand how to balance for the intermediate player for several types of play, and that's much easier said than done.

Edit: Also, this makes me think customs were definitely designed with casual play in mind; we have so many attacks that are ridiculous when used by advanced players in 1v1 settings, but I doubt they're that powerful in the hands of intermediate players in casual smashfests. Otherwise you'd hear about people getting wrecked by their friend's DK all the time rather than the Links and Kirbys and Ikes and Little Macs. Interesting, in my opinion.

I really need practice for this saturday. Anyone here up for a 1v1? Mostly looking for custom Palu/Luigi/C. Falcon/ROB match up experience.

A very good read for sure.

He comments on how he can't cater too much toward balancing for 1v1 or advanced players because it'll hurt casual players in the long run (if certain unsafe moves were buffed for 1v1 they'd no doubt become especially effective in a FFA.) Sakurai also notes that competitive Sm4sh tends to take a while because top players don't take many risks with smash attacks, lol.

It's a cool insight into how he approaches balancing a game that can be validly played in so many ways. No doubt whoever has to take over for him in the future will need to understand how to balance for the intermediate player for several types of play, and that's much easier said than done.

Edit: Also, this makes me think customs were definitely designed with casual play in mind; we have so many attacks that are ridiculous when used by advanced players in 1v1 settings, but I doubt they're that powerful in the hands of intermediate players in casual smashfests. Otherwise you'd hear about people getting wrecked by their friend's DK all the time rather than the Links and Kirbys and Ikes and Little Macs. Interesting, in my opinion.

Yeah, definitely a nice read, although I am 100% sure that 1v1 thing is gonna be quoted a lot =.=

I dunno if you can make a new thread for that considering there's a scan in the link.

That's a good point actually

For real, Masked Man you should ask a mod if you can make a thread for this. Should inspire some conversation, maybe the FGC peeps can talk balance with us. :)

I'll wait for page 2 to post in it.

Honestly because of the 1v1 part I can see the conversation turning negative pretty fast

Crayolan

Some interesting tidbits here.

Pit and Palutena. I personally feel those two are below average in terms of strength.

Sakurai admits Palutena's default moveset sucks lol

I could make all the characters perform similarly to Mario and achieve perfect balance. However, that probably wouldn’t be very fun at all.

I love this line. Now Sakurai pls buff rest to kill the whole cast at 50%, it will increase my level of fun. ;)

Furthermore, if I went with what is fair according to advanced players, the beginners wouldn’t be able to keep up. For example, Kirby’s Stone attack probably won’t hit a player above intermediate skill level, but if I made it more powerful, it would destroy beginners.

At the end of the day, I’m aiming for intermediately-skilled players to be able to properly enjoy the game.

Interesting point here. Never thought of it this way.

In 1v1s, the natural tendency is to use low risk moves to gradually deal damage to the opponent. Smash attacks rarely came out, and the matches were prone to becoming long, drawn out affairs. When considering the variety of ways Smash can be played I think this is a waste

Sakurai admits Smash 4 is boring
Kappa

Neki

GGs Karst, your Mewtwo was much better than the last time I played it, you've made huge strides! :p I still can't kill as Rosalina though lol.

Mega man players are so cheery.

Neki, I have to admit that I grin every time Shadow Ball wobbles over Luma and hits Rosalina in the face.

Reading.

This deserves its own thread.

Sometimes it goes straight over Luma. :(

TWILT

Banned
GGs Cyberman! Fun matches as always; I thought your Metaknight was pretty good. Difficult matchup for my Robin haha. Of course you were great with all your other characters too. Burning Spin Dash seems interesting for Sonic, but at least I didn't have to deal with Hammer this set lol.

GGs Cyberman! Fun matches as always; I thought your Metaknight was pretty good. Difficult matchup for my Robin haha. Of course you were great with all your other characters too. Burning Spin Dash seems interesting for Sonic, but at least I didn't have to deal with Hammer this set lol.
GGs, Twilt. Man, I'm really afraid of Pikachu with platforms. :( And, thanks. You're like my training partner now, haha.

Just going to just focus on these three for EVO since I should start the grinding now. I feel like Hammer Spin Dash is good only against heavy character, but Burning/Normal for the rest. Just remember that if you block it, you get a free punish since it has a ton of lag.

I will never learn the Shulk matchup right. ( ̄ー ̄) Hurts every time I get caught by something with Buster.

Good stuff Namagen! I've just got a couple more in me and Ithen ive gotta get some food!
Gat damn, I thought I was pretty damn good with Mega Man, but you're practically untouchable...but I refuse to give in. I can see a pattern there somewhere, and even if I have to lose more, I'll figure you out and counter you, eventually. This has been great practice, man. I've needed help learning my mirror match, and I appreciate the matches. Let's do this again sometime.

Great games Namagem! It's great to have another Mega Man to play with! I think the mirror match is a really difficult one in general, to the point where I know a lot of people won't play it. But that's ok, I actually thought these matches were pretty fun!

It's always cool to see what other people do with the same moves, so I personally absolutely love play mirrors. You've got a lot of different applications to moves that I don't use, especially the Leaf Shield!

Keep playing people here at Smash GAF and you'll keep on getting better!

Thanks for playing buddy!

GGs Karst, your Mewtwo was much better than the last time I played it, you've made huge strides! :p I still can't kill as Rosalina though lol.

Sometimes it goes straight over Luma. :(
GGs, and thank you. I am trying to be more cognizant during matches. Having Mewtwo at 150% vs. Rosalina is pretty funny, though. Bowser doesn't even last that long.

Were all of those footstools intentional? Pretty upsetting on my end, haha.

Feels like Mewtwo might have an even matchup against Rosalina. Maybe even an advantage without customs. I think the only thing I would nerf about Rosalina is an increase in the inactive time for a Luna after Rosalina gets hit or grabbed. Too many instances where she gets a free hit at low %.

Gat damn, I thought Ibwas pretty dsmn good with Mega Man, but you're practically untouchable...but I refuse to give in. I can see a pattern there somewherex and even if I have to lose more, I'll figure you out and counter you, eventually. This has been great practice, man. I've needed help learning my mirror match, and I appreciate the matches. Let's do this again sometime.
Learn all the ways you can catch Metal Blade. Makes him manageable. Not easy, but manageable.

Great games Namagem! It's great to have another Mega Man to play with! I think the mirror match is a really difficult one in general, to the point where I know a lot of people won't play it. But that's ok, I actually thought these matches were pretty fun!

It's always cool to see what other people do with the same moves, so I personally absolutely love play mirrors. You've got a lot of different applications to moves that I don't use, especially the Leaf Shield!

Keep playing people here at Smash GAF and you'll keep on getting better!

Thanks for playing buddy!
Yes, it's very difficult, but that won't dissuade me from trying to best mirrors.

I'm surprised at the lack of Leaf Shield use, it's such a wonderful move. And yep, I intend to keep on fighting to get better and better, to the point that the mirror match won't be such a hassle, haha

Also, sorry Captain, didn't save any.

Neki

GGs, and thank you. I am trying to be more cognizant during matches. Having Mewtwo at 150% vs. Rosalina is pretty funny, though. Bowser doesn't even last that long.

Were all of those footstools intentional? Pretty upsetting on my end, haha.

Feels like Mewtwo might have an even matchup against Rosalina. Maybe even an advantage without customs. I think the only thing I would nerf about Rosalina is an increase in the inactive time for a Luna after Rosalina gets hit or grabbed. Too many instances where she gets a free hit at low %.

Learn all the ways you can catch Metal Blade. Makes him manageable. Not easy, but manageable.

yeah I thought Mewtwo is supposed to be light! The footstools always managed to happen because after I run off stage and d-air and then use my double jump, so the times I actually hit you it worked, lol. Yeah you were blocking my nair and doing OOS Nair which totally beats our my nair. In fact, everything I had was basically beat out by nair, and my huge hitbox means I usually eat all of it. I feel like Mewtwo's nair would be shit against smaller characters though. And the nair off stage against my recovery is awful for me since I can't recover properly until I see which way I'm facing, which was way too late.

Yes, it's very difficult, but that won't dissuade me from trying to best mirrors.

I'm surprised at the lack of Leaf Shield use, it's such a wonderful move. And yep, I intend to keep on fighting to get better and better, to the point that the mirror match won't be such a hassle, haha

Also, sorry Captain, didn't save any.

Yeah, Leaf Shield is nice in certain situations, and this match up it's probably its most useful, but there are other tools I prefer to it. I will switch it out for Skull Barrier almost every time. Having a reflector changes some match ups considerably. I would take it in this match up too. (And did in our first match :p)

Still, I'd never tell someone else how to play. I liked what I saw and am interested in seeing how you evolve your style!

I'd also be interested to hear what your take on Mega's most difficult match ups are.

Please tell me you guys saved some replays. I wanna see Rockmen fights :O

I grabbed a few when something I wanted to see again happened. I'll send 'em your way. Hope you're not color blind! >:)

yeah I thought Mewtwo is supposed to be light! The footstools always managed to happen because after I run off stage and d-air and then use my double jump, so the times I actually hit you it worked, lol. Yeah you were blocking my nair and doing OOS Nair which totally beats our my nair. In fact, everything I had was basically beat out by nair, and my huge hitbox means I usually eat all of it. I feel like Mewtwo's nair would be shit against smaller characters though. And the nair off stage against my recovery is awful for me since I can't recover properly until I see which way I'm facing, which was way too late.
What was really frustrating was that I was teleporting some of the times you gimped me with Dair. Mewtwo's teleport is uniquely bad in that you can still hit him between points A and B.

Mewtwo is the second lightest in the game!

It seems like Rosalina's Nair isn't the best option against Mewtwo. Loses to Nair, Fair, and charged Shadow Ball.

Nair is shit against small characters. :( That is why I say it needs a hitbox buff on the bottom. It won't even hit Pikachu if Pikachu is standing inside of Mewtwo when it starts. I am cool with the move missing on a crouching Jiggs or G&W, but it should hit every standing character on startup IMO.

I do feel for you and Rosalina's awkward and kind of bad recovery. Do either of her custom up Bs help with that? Seems like it would be worthwhile to explore just for that matchup. That one 40 second win I got felt pretty dirty. :p

You did great adjusting to the Nair gimp attempts, though. More diagonal recovery angles. I need to get better at that myself so I don't die to spikes.

Top Bottom