• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Oidisco

I'm getting a bit frustrated with ZSS now. I really want to get good with her, but she's just not clicking with me.

I'll keep trying though. Pikachu took a long time for me to get used to as well

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
surprisingly that other thread about Sakurai managed to clean itself up after shitposting on the first page

Sure I'll play, gimme 2 minutes
Request sent

Someone one For Glory just called me a spammer because I kept using Marth's Shieldbreaker. Guess that guy shouldn't have kept walking right into then

Just added!

Yeah, I got that earlier too with my Mega Man play. Gotta love people who blame other people for their losing. :p

EDIT: I just joined your room and I think you left?

I can't even touch you, dude. This is a slaughter. :p Still fun though!

Okay, at least I have a chance when you use Pikachu! Still would have been close if not for your SD, though...

Ahahaha, it took you a whole one game to learn me. :p

Yeah, I'm waaaaay out of my league here. These are basically free wins for you!

Haha... if that's your "bad" ZSS, then I am absolutely hopeless at this game. We're just on different levels.

Oidisco

Time for my bad ZSS!

If you want to kick my ZSS's ass, play super defensively. I have no idea how to deal with that as her

200%, wow!

Oidisco

Good Games dude, and don't worry you're much better and fun to play than For Glory people!

And you're quite good at the game, you just roll away from me a lot. Makes it easy to punish you. But other wise yea, you're definitely good at the game!

Good Games dude, and don't worry you're much better and fun to play than For Glory people!

And you're quite good at the game, you just roll away from me a lot. Makes it easy to punish you. But other wise yea, you're definitely good at the game!

Haha thanks, that's very kind of you. :)

Yeah, I know I roll a lot and that's a weak part of my game. I've been trying to work on it... that's actually me rolling less than I used to, if you can believe it!

Oidisco

Haha thanks, that's very kind of you. :)

Yeah, I know I roll a lot and that's a weak part of my game. I've been trying to work on it... that's actually me rolling less than I used to, if you can believe it!

Dude, I used to be horrible when it comes to rolling. And when there's lag or I'm feeling stressed in a match, those old bad habits always come back. Even now I roll too much.

I'm also pretty bad at dealing with projectiles if I don't have a relector, as you saw in my 1st Pikachu match!

And speaking of, you've got a great Megaman!

Dude, I used to be horrible when it comes to rolling. And when there's lag or I'm feeling stressed in a match, those old bad habits always come back. Even now I roll too much.

I'm also pretty bad at dealing with projectiles if I don't have a relector, as you saw in my 1st Pikachu match!

And speaking of, you've got a great Megaman!

Yeah, but it only took you that one match with Pikachu to be able to completely counter me!

But thanks for the kind words, I usually tend to be really hard on myself and end up discouraging myself. I'm doing the best I can with Mega Man, though my performance seems to vary wildly from day to day... I have times where I legitimately just dominate with him and know exactly where I need to be or what I should be doing at any given moment, but other days it feels like I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm playing Smash for the first time again. Great games though, like I said - your Zelda is just crazy. I'll think I've caught you in a grab and the NOPE you're gone and oh look I'm suddenly flying off the stage too. Your Pikachu is slippery and your ZSS is better than you think!

Oidisco

Yeah, but it only took you that one match with Pikachu to be able to completely counter me!

But thanks for the kind words, I usually tend to be really hard on myself and end up discouraging myself. I'm doing the best I can with Mega Man, though my performance seems to vary wildly from day to day... I have times where I legitimately just dominate with him and know exactly where I need to be or what I should be doing at any given moment, but other days it feels like I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm playing Smash for the first time again. Great games though, like I said - your Zelda is just crazy. I'll think I've caught you in a grab and the NOPE you're gone and oh look I'm suddenly flying off the stage too. Your Pikachu is slippery and your ZSS is better than you think!

I've had days like that too. Infact just yesterday I played Twilt and could barely touch him half the time because he was dodging so much. And it wasn't like I didn't know when or where he was going to dodge, I just couldn't tell myself when to punish at the right time. It was like my first month or 2 of For Glory where I just didn't know how to deal with rollers, super frustrating!

Zelda was my 1st main, which still surprises me given that I never played her at all in previous games. I find her good at dealing with people who roll and tech away from me, since I can punish with up-b pretty easily that way.
And my ZSS is just super weird right now. In one game I can play really well with her, and then the very next I can barely use her at all. Her playstyle is so completely different from what I'm used to and it's hard for me to deal with.

But try not to be too hard on yourself. As I said you're good at the game with just a few bad habits to deal with.
You should ask one of the top players here to help you deal with your rolling habit if you really want to stop. I'd try and help but I don't think I'd be very good at it! Maybe ask Karst.

Are there any good in depth Pac-Man guides out there/people here who main him, or am I better off just watching and studying players like Abadango's matches?

I want to up my Pac-Man game so I can play with peeps on here and actually stand a chance. He's probably my best character on this, but I'm still not good with him. I have a habit of trying to have a hydrant and trampoline in play at all times, and have a habit of using orange, melon, and apple, and kind of neglect the other fruits, and I have no idea if this is a good thing to do or if I'm unknowingly falling into bad habits.

Robiin

Are there any good in depth Pac-Man guides out there/people here who main him, or am I better off just watching and studying players like Abadango's matches?

I want to up my Pac-Man game so I can play with peeps on here and actually stand a chance. He's probably my best character on this, but I'm still not good with him. I have a habit of trying to have a hydrant and trampoline in play at all times, and have a habit of using orange, melon, and apple, and kind of neglect the other fruits, and I have no idea if this is a good thing to do or if I'm unknowingly falling into bad habits.
Not necessarily guides, but.
https://youtu.be/2yjX69BAFNA
And
https://youtu.be/UuA2RfHmtxg

Thanks, I'll give them a watch later, but the hard punish video seems like something that'll be extremely useful for me. Combos are something I need to get used too, because I only played Melee really casually, and Brawl didn't have combos to Smash 4's extent. I know a few with Pac-Man, but I'm not consistent with them, and I always forget at what percentages they work or don't work at.

Robiin

Yo Kirby is super under-rated in this game, I'm sure of it!
With customs, definitely. But he looks just like a ball of marshmallows, how can he fight so hard?!

Good games FS, you are way above my level. The input lag feels like it hurt my Fox a good bit though, he's so based on reads and technical play, rather than Falcon who can just up air withiut danger. And sooo many missed techs, I promise I tried! You are too good though, really cool too see.

Oidisco

I've entered into super-asshole mode against some poor soul on For Glory.
I sd'd and he taunted me over and over, and even after I won he changed his tag to "U Suck"
So I proceeded to 2-stock him in every game we played afterwards (about 8 or 9), while also taunting whenever I knocked him off-stage. It was mean, but it felt great!

FSLink

Banned
With customs, definitely. But he looks just like a ball of marshmallows, how can he fight so hard?!

Good games FS, you are way above my level. The input lag feels like it hurt my Fox a good bit though, he's so based on reads and technical play, rather than Falcon who can just up air withiut danger. And sooo many missed techs, I promise I tried! You are too good though, really cool too see.
Thanks. I use a lot of different characters but hopefully Lucas is viable so I can be the best Lucas in the US. :3

Yeah I missed a Up B kill out of Shield with Metaknight due to the lag lol, oh well, that's how online works sometimes.

I saw you perfect pivoting and going for some nice reads with Fox, just keep at it, you're great. Have you tried messing around with his customs? Twisting Fox in particular is great for covering multiple get-up options from the ledge, as well as being another good KO move.

Robiin

I sd'd and he taunted me over and over, and even after I won he changed his tag to "U Suck"
So I proceeded to 2-stock him in every game we played afterwards (about 8 or 9), while also taunting whenever I knocked him off-stage. It was mean, but it felt great!
Yeah, people on for glory are weird. Yesterday I actually ran into Smashified (the people behind the Rayman leak and other character art) artist Sean Hicks though, and he was fun. We were quite even, and he was really respectful, saved me from SDing and taunting when he made mistakes. We "chatted" with silly tags and then he shouted me out on Twitter. Quite cool.
Thanks. I use a lot of different characters but hopefully Lucas is viable so I can be the best Lucas in the US. :3

Yeah I missed a Up B kill out of Shield with Metaknight due to the lag lol, oh well, that's how online works sometimes.

I saw you perfect pivoting and going for some nice reads with Fox, just keep at it, you're great. Have you tried messing around with his customs? Twisting Fox in particular is great for covering multiple get-up options from the ledge, as well as being another good KO move.
To tell the truth I have no customs unlocked with 150 hours of playtime x) I need to get on that. But I have relatively limited playtime available, so I'd rather just play when I can lol.

Edit: Just checked. 148 hours, 4000 matches. Solo playtime 2 hours lol...
aeXsUEMh.jpg

FSLink

Banned
I just hate fighting Japanese players on For Glory.

I have a JPN account with a JPN name and 95% of them always quit after the first match even if they win or lose. It's totally lame since I've fought some good Sheiks, Little Macs, and Pits on JPN For Glory that don't ever want rematches.

I do taunt online but only because it bothers people a lot and they tend to play more aggressive. In tournament I usually don't have a chance to, but I do sometimes because of the above reason. >_>

To tell the truth I have no customs unlocked with 150 hours of playtime x) I need to get on that. But I have relatively limited playtime available, so I'd rather just play when I can lol.

Find someone with a 3DS with the customs unlocked. :p

Yeah same due to work, but I try to practice against actual people since I don't get much out of single player.

Neki

What was really frustrating was that I was teleporting some of the times you gimped me with Dair. Mewtwo's teleport is uniquely bad in that you can still hit him between points A and B.

Mewtwo is the second lightest in the game!

It seems like Rosalina's Nair isn't the best option against Mewtwo. Loses to Nair, Fair, and charged Shadow Ball.

Nair is shit against small characters. :( That is why I say it needs a hitbox buff on the bottom. It won't even hit Pikachu if Pikachu is standing inside of Mewtwo when it starts. I am cool with the move missing on a crouching Jiggs or G&W, but it should hit every standing character on startup IMO.

I do feel for you and Rosalina's awkward and kind of bad recovery. Do either of her custom up Bs help with that? Seems like it would be worthwhile to explore just for that matchup. That one 40 second win I got felt pretty dirty. :p

You did great adjusting to the Nair gimp attempts, though. More diagonal recovery angles. I need to get better at that myself so I don't die to spikes.
Yeah I'll need a different approach, anyone with a good oos option is good against rosalina's nair. People always say rosalina recovery is good, but it has no active hit frames so if people actually challenged it they'd probably kill her more. I haven't tried launch star plus but you can't change the angle but I usually go for the regular up b angle anyways so I should try it.

My approach is pretty one dimensional, I really need to use more lunar landing aerials and pivot grabs in my game, or just play super campy like dabuz lol

Haha, I have done that before. Almost the exact same situation, too.

Bowser's down taunt, IMO, is the best in the game for this. Something about that Dragon turtle hopping on one leg...

JulianImp

We could try playing some dittos sometime, since I've also been getting into Pac-Man as of late.

Oidisco

Haha, I have done that before. Almost the exact same situation, too.

Bowser's down taunt, IMO, is the best in the game for this. Something about that Dragon turtle hopping on one leg...

Bowser's is good, but Zelda's down taunt is by far the best. Just her waving, and it's so good! Like she's saying "so long fuck-face!"

We could try playing some dittos sometime, since I've also been getting into Pac-Man as of late.

Sure, maybe tomorrow then?
I'm in the UK though, and while my connections been fine with other people in Europe, the few matches I've played against US players here haven't been as good.

Donkey Kong's turn to the camera and shrug taunt is my absolute favourite.

Boney

Banned
I could probably get as many clips of Mewtwo's Usmash doing the exact same thing in an afternoon of playing!

Also Greninja's just doesn't work on anyone standing on a platform above him.

All of Duck Hunt's smashes are wildly inconsistent too.

You're not alone <3
http://youtu.be/YXlE8ZESSEI

Samus can't hit standing opponents unless it's Rosa or something. But yes unite in our despair

Oidisco

Hahaha, I also like that one a lot. I wanted to main Zelda, but I don't like how her side and down Bs work.

Neither of those moves are too good, though they do have their uses. Side-B is really good if you can frame trap your opponent when landing. Condition them to air-dodge when using it by aiming directly at them, and then when they're at a high enough percent throw it out as they're landing. They'll get hit thanks to the landing lag, and if you get the sweetspot it can kill pretty early.
You can also do the same when they're far offstage by aiming it in the direction they're headed rather than right at them, though that's a little inconsistent

Another thing about side-b is that it's really good at killing Luma. It does a lot of damage and there's a decent amount of knockback, which can knock it off-stage at the start of the game if you use it right away and they shield.

Down-B can be really good for edge-guarding certain characters. Jumping off-stage at using it on someone recovery right up-against the stage wall can get an early kill, and sometimes even in neutral you can surprise your opponent by throwing it out since people rarely see it coming. I'm not confident enough to do it myself, but I've seen a few Zelda's do it.

But yea, those moves really aren't that great. A few small changes to both and they'd be amazing!

Top Bottom