• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Oidisco

For some reason, whenever I hit someone with ZSS's down smash I panic and feel like I need to hit them as fast as possible with whatever move comes to mind first, and it's always up-smash :(

Boney

Banned
I memorized your patterns Boney. You have to change it up or I'll just keep picking you off
Yeah, I've said it before but with you I feel I'm a lot more defensive and repetitive. Partly it feels that way because you catch up to those things and punish instead of letting me get away with those like others (doesn't hurt that ness has a lot of good tools) and because I get scared of the tremendous punishes ness can dish out.

I did a lot better on that one though!

We tech those! Phew

Cronox

Banned
Won't stop me from bitching about it.

Even if using Slam is pointless with Dash Slash now.

The reverse up b ledge snap problem is way worse though, IMO. Even with dash slash, or using normal klaw to change direction, there are usually going to be a couple reverse b recoveries in a match. That I don't often get hit for hanging on the edge of ledge snap range for as long as I have to in a reverse up b recovery doesn't mean that it isn't completely exploitable. A more aggressive player or someone who knows the matchup better should take a reverse up b as a spike opportunity every time. It's a huge weakness against an opponent who knows about it. As it stands now, my opponents realize they missed a punish afterwards, or react too late to punish before my vulnerability ends, but those sorts of mistakes will be converted to spikes/punishes as more people refine their play.

Oidisco

You know I just love it when Zelda's teleport sends you in the complete opposite direction from what you input. It's just so wonderful and awesome...

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The reverse up b ledge snap problem is way worse though, IMO. Even with dash slash, or using normal klaw to change direction, there are usually going to be a couple reverse b recoveries in a match. That I don't often get hit for hanging on the edge of ledge snap range for as long as I have to in a reverse up b recovery doesn't mean that it isn't completely exploitable. A more aggressive player or someone who knows the matchup better should take a reverse up b as a spike opportunity every time. It's a huge weakness against an opponent who knows about it. As it stands now, my opponents realize they missed a punish afterwards, or react too late to punish before my vulnerability ends, but those sorts of mistakes will be converted to spikes/punishes as more people refine their play.

Personally I think B reverse Ledge fear will stay forever. For us Bowser's we are pretty much screwed.

I would love to have Fortress to ledge back though. Or invincibility on startup of Fortress.

You know I just love it when Zelda's teleport sends you in the complete opposite direction from you input. It's just so wonderful and awesome...

Mewtwo and Palutena cry with you. Meta Knight just silently mocks you.

Boney

Banned
I'd probably would've made it there with a grapple beam but very nice gimps there.

Oh, good games! Did a lot better after that one whoopass!

I'd appreciate any tips from you. You have a lot of clarity when looking at the game

I'd probably would've made it there with a grapple beam but very nice gimps there.

Oh, good games! Did a lot better after that one whoopass!

I'd appreciate any tips from you. You have a lot of clarity when looking at the game

yea fun games. I'd say your biggest issue is you can become stagnant with your moves. I know that when you produce an attack, if it misses, you are going to follow up with a tilt. so I just need to maintain some distance and counter after your tilts. Usually when I get hit with them it's because I time it wrong, but I always see it coming. You were on to something when you started short hopping more to approach. I think that works well for Samus

Boney

Banned
yea fun games. I'd say your biggest issue is you can become stagnant with your moves. I know that when you produce an attack, if it misses, you are going to follow up with a tilt. so I just need to maintain some distance and counter after your tilts. Usually when I get hit with them it's because I time it wrong, but I always see it coming. You were on to something when you started short hopping more to approach. I think that works well for Samus
I do, especially with up tilt due to the low recovery and fast start up on her ftilt. It's a bad habit I have to wall people out instinctively and I get punished for roll behinds very often (which I correct with down smashes) but waiting it out can get me punished, pk fires will do the job very nicely.

What exactly gave you trouble with the short hops? Zair and bair I suppose. It's good but there's no good option for beneath with the exception if up air or dair for bigger characters.

Puruzi

Banned
GGS, those matches were getting annoying because you were literally just running around and not doing anything unless I did something, can't stand playing like that

Boney

Banned
So let me get this straight. Is there any way to hit sonic out of his up b?

GGS, those matches were getting annoying because you were literally just running around and not doing anything unless I did something, can't stand playing like that
You are a lot like that lol

Oidisco

Yea sorry, when I feel like someone is better than me I try to play super patiently and wait for them to approach. It's honestly the best way to play as both Zelda and Marth in this game, since they don't have good approach options. Had I gone Pikachu I probably been doing a lot more to attack.

And to be fair, you were throwing out a lot of attacks in some matches, so it was the best option for me to take. Though you're definitely exagerating a little on how rarely I approached, but when I did it wasn't going well for me so I decided to try something else.

And by the way, thank you for making me realise just how much I use Nayru's Love. I always knew I used it a lot, but since people so rarely punished me for it I never really felt the need to stop. Gotta fix that right away!

Nabster92

Alright shot out PM's to everyone about the doubles tournament that's not really been moving at all. Gonna be enforcing forfeits after this weekend if things aren't moving along.

That aside, bracket 1 ranbats anyone?

Puruzi

Banned
Yea sorry, when I feel like someone is better than me I try to play super patiently and wait for them to approach. It's honestly the best way to play as both Zelda and Marth in this game, since they don't have good approach options. Had I gone Pikachu I probably been doing a lot more to attack.

And to be fair, you were throwing out a lot of attacks in some matches, so it was the best option for me to take. Though you're definitely exagerating a little on how rarely I approached, but when I did it wasn't going well for me so I decided to try something else.

And by the way, thank you for making me realise just how much I use Nayru's Love. I always knew I used it a lot, but since people so rarely punished me for it I never really felt the need to stop. Gotta fix that right away!

yeah i'm exaggerating, I do that when I get salty about playstyles I find aggravating to play against lol. It probably is the best way to play those characters, but it's hella annoying to play against :S

Oidisco

yeah i'm exaggerating, I do that when I get salty about playstyles I find aggravating to play against lol. It probably is the best way to play those characters, but it's hella annoying to play against :S

I've found Marth can only be aggressive in a handful of matchups, and even then it heavily depends on playstyle. For instance I generally try to be very aggressive against Shulk, but I felt your playstyle didn't really allow me to do that.

Also another thing to keep in mind is that the last few days I've been playing ZSS, who heavily depends on the other player being aggressive in order to do well. Since I've started playing her, I felt like all of my characters are feeling a little different from usual, and definitely a lot slower than before.

Just did my first ranked match on Anther's, and I won 3-0! I need to do 7 more matches just to get a rank. Does anyone that knows my skill level know what rank I should expect?

Just beat 2-1 the best Sonic I have played behind FluxWaveZ and Cyberman. I really need a counter to the Sonic match-up because there doesn't seem to be much Yoshi can do.

Puruzi

Banned
I've found Marth can only be aggressive in a handful of matchups, and even then it heavily depends on playstyle. For instance I generally try to be very aggressive against Shulk, but I felt your playstyle didn't really allow me to do that.

Also another thing to keep in mind is that the last few days I've been playing ZSS, who heavily depends on the other player being aggressive in order to do well. Since I've started playing her, I felt like all of my characters are feeling a little different from usual, and definitely a lot slower than before.
Yeah, I suppose that playing as ZSS and going to lower tier character would make them feel much slower. Your ZSS is coming along really well though, you have good coverage and nice combos with her.

Boney

Banned
Alright shot out PM's to everyone about the doubles tournament that's not really been moving at all. Gonna be enforcing forfeits after this weekend if things aren't moving along.

That aside, bracket 1 ranbats anyone?
Right, I received it. We haven't done anything this week to try to coordinate it. Haven't seen soldner kei since he mentioned he got engaged. I'll shoot him a pm and ask when he can do it and ask that everybody else acommodate to it.

Oidisco

Yeah, I suppose that playing as ZSS and going to lower tier character would make them feel much slower. Your ZSS is coming along really well though, you have good coverage and nice combos with her.

Thanks! I've been practicing a lot with her, but she's so completely different from what I'm used to that it's really messing me up.

I've had days like that too. Infact just yesterday I played Twilt and could barely touch him half the time because he was dodging so much. And it wasn't like I didn't know when or where he was going to dodge, I just couldn't tell myself when to punish at the right time. It was like my first month or 2 of For Glory where I just didn't know how to deal with rollers, super frustrating!

Zelda was my 1st main, which still surprises me given that I never played her at all in previous games. I find her good at dealing with people who roll and tech away from me, since I can punish with up-b pretty easily that way.
And my ZSS is just super weird right now. In one game I can play really well with her, and then the very next I can barely use her at all. Her playstyle is so completely different from what I'm used to and it's hard for me to deal with.

But try not to be too hard on yourself. As I said you're good at the game with just a few bad habits to deal with.
You should ask one of the top players here to help you deal with your rolling habit if you really want to stop. I'd try and help but I don't think I'd be very good at it! Maybe ask Karst.

Zelda is weird. She was my secondary in Brawl and I absolutely loved using her, but the changes they made to her in Smash 4 just really didn't suit me and I can't play her for shit now. I had originally passed her off as being hopelessly nerfed in this game until I started encountering terrifyingly good Zelda players like you who showed me she wasn't nerfed so much as changed around quite a bit. I'd have never guessed Farore's Wind would ever be such a potent kill move, but it sure is in Smash 4 and I have no idea how to deal with it, let alone punish it!

Zero Suit Samus is just one of my (and, I think, Mega Man's) poorer matchups in general. Everything she does just seems so damn safe and I don't know how to punish or bait her effectively. She seems to have an answer for everything and be everywhere at once!

And yeah, getting help with my overall game and improving is exactly why I finally took the plunge and have started playing with you guys. It's taken me awhile because I'm really anxious and no one wants to start playing in a community only to find out they're the worst player by far, but I've come to see that there really are players of all skill levels here and people are really accommodating and willing to help others improve, skipping all the trash talk and other nonsense.

Also, I forgot to tell you before, but I adore your avatar. The Room is my jam. If Tommy played Smash, who do you think he'd main?!

Oidisco

Zelda is weird. She was my secondary in Brawl and I absolutely loved using her, but the changes they made to her in Smash 4 just really didn't suit me and I can't play her for shit now. I had originally passed her off as being hopelessly nerfed in this game until I started encountering terrifyingly good Zelda players like you who showed me she wasn't nerfed so much as changed around quite a bit. I'd have never guessed Farore's Wind would ever be such a potent kill move, but it sure is in Smash 4 and I have no idea how to deal with it, let alone punish it!

Zero Suit Samus is just one of my (and, I think, Mega Man's) poorer matchups in general. Everything she does just seems so damn safe and I don't know how to punish or bait her effectively. She seems to have an answer for everything and be everywhere at once!

And yeah, getting help with my overall game and improving is exactly why I finally took the plunge and have started playing with you guys. It's taken me awhile because I'm really anxious and no one wants to start playing in a community only to find out they're the worst player by far, but I've come to see that there really are players of all skill levels here and people are really accommodating and willing to help others improve, skipping all the trash talk and other nonsense.

Also, I forgot to tell you before, but I adore your avatar. The Room is my jam. If Tommy played Smash, who do you think he'd main?!

Zelda's teleport is very easily punishable once you actually get used to the fact that it can be a very poweful move. When playing against Zelda, just try an keep it in the back of your head that your opponent could use it at any point from, either right beside you. far away or anywhere in between. So just be careful with using moves with long end-lag or rolling away, since a good Zelda player would know just where to aim and the timing to do it.
The thing is though, it tends to be a really predictable move especially when playing For Glory Zelda users. It's somewhat quick, but whenever you hear the startup sound just immediately block. It has a tone of end-lag and pretty much no shield pushback, so that's a free punish with a smash attack, grab or in Megaman's case,up-tilt!

As for ZSS, the best way to deal with her is to play defensively, but not with too much rolling or shielding. Instead just try and keep your distance and force her to approach you. And if you have projectiles, just camp her out. ZSS is at her best when she's fighting an aggresive player that throws out a lot of unsafe moves for her to punish. This is because she doesn't have any really good approach options, so just take your time and she suddenly becomes much more managable.
Also, don't roll away when she goes in for a grab. Just try and get into the habit of jumping over her instead.

Yea it took me a while to start playing here too. I was super anxious about it, but ofcourse I had nothing to actually worry about!

And The Room may honestly be my favourite movie. I don't think any other I've seen has brought this much joy! Oh he'd probably just use a Mii of himself probably the Brawler.

Well, I just lost to a Yoshi player on Anther's. I beat them at first with Yoshi vs. their Falcon. They switched to Yoshi and I somehow immediately SD. They obviously won that round. I switch to Luigi and only manage to take 1 stock off of them. How the fuck do you fight Yoshi? They played completely different from me. Essentially eggs plus backwards jump and neutral b. Anyone want a replay?

Well, I just lost to a Yoshi player on Anther's. I beat them at first with Yoshi vs. their Falcon. They switched to Yoshi and I somehow immediately SD. They obviously won that round. I switch to Luigi and only manage to take 1 stock off of them. How the fuck do you fight Yoshi? They played completely different from me. Essentially eggs plus backwards jump and neutral b. Anyone want a replay?

I counter-pick Yoshi with Yoshi because no one knows how to fight Yoshi.

I just don't rush against Yoshi and wait for an opportunity. But idk its way easier with Wario. Yoshi is one of the few characters that I actually remind myself to be patient against. :v

Oidisco

I was dumb and decided to play For Glory one more time tonight, and I had a bunch of really weird experiences.

I was hit with "Nice Spam and "F-Smashmore" tag from the same person because I was playing super aggresively with my Pikachu and he literally walked right into my F-smash 5 times in a row. It was amazing

Then I lost a game to really bad player with my ZSS cos I Sd'd, and was told I got recked and that I was super salty or something.

Then another player threw out a bunch of racist insults after I 2 stocked 4 times, the last one I didn't take a single hit. Funnily enough despite the many many insults he threw out, he never once got my race right (Irish) so that just made it even funnier.

And lastly, I decided to use Mario against this guy who ended being Little Mac. The player was literally running away from me and being an asshole. I actually almost lost because I got frustrated and just started throwing out attacks. Then he changed his tag to "wantmetotry?" and I ofcourse went ahead with Marth and 2-stocked him super quick.
Then he asked me for "Marf-Dittos" in which I 2 stocked him again. The he just went Megaman for a bunch of games until I got bored and left.

This ofcourse doesn't include all the weird For Glory stuff that happened earlier, like the guy Friend requesting me specifically to call me terrible despite the fact that I beat him in every game.

tl;dr
For Glory is fuckin weird!

Top Bottom