• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Oidisco

Too used to your OoS super punish I take it?

Nope, I very very rarely use it like that.
Fastfall nair to elevator is guaranteed at kill percents if you don't land the last hit of nair. You can either land on top of someone with it, or intercept their shorthop and drag them to the ground and it'll work just fine. Ofcourse they can still DI the up-b, but using nair to set it up can really throw people off.

Fastfall nair can also combo into grab, jab, up-tilt, d-tilt, dash atttack and d-smash. It's pretty cool! Up-Smash doesn't register as a combo, but it should work against a player aswell.

I'm also pretty good at tech-chasing and punishing rolls with FW, and I'd lose that with Squall.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
For me I like squall not only for escaping but pushing someone in free fall offstage due to the windbox.

Windfall is weird though.

People were worried about Fox's setups getting nerfed too much, but it barely seems to be making a difference. Jab jab grab being harder and less viable isn't great, but him actually having a viable jab that isn't a guaranteed hard punish if he messes up is really useful.

Boney

Banned
How are gravity and falling speed different?
Basically, gravity is the acceleration of the falling speed, so a character can have a lot of gravity, yet be very floaty.

http://www.ssbwiki.com/gravity

DDD is not as heavy as bowser and much floatier, but he'll live up to very high % vertically, more than bowser due to gravity.
I recall many vertical knockback kill% have DDD as the highest one

People were worried about Fox's setups getting nerfed too much, but it barely seems to be making a difference. Jab jab grab being harder and less viable isn't great, but him actually having a viable jab that isn't a guaranteed hard punish if he messes up is really useful.
It's definately a sensible change. Link should've gotten something better out of his jab nerf as well. Make it frame 5 or something

Me? If your still around.

Yeah, I will play. It took me forever to find a player that wasn't Sonic on Anther's, and then I have huge momentum in game 3 and the entire game lags for a few minutes.

Edit: I guess not.

Holy shit, since when did FG have so many Yoshis? I used to never encounter any. I just had to fight one in lag as DK, so I obviously lost (first stock I SDed at 50...), and then I lost to a Lucas and we both switched to Yoshi. Does everyone have a pocket Yoshi that they use to fight DK?

Yeah, I will play. It took me forever to find a player that wasn't Sonic on Anther's, and then I have huge momentum in game 3 and the entire game lags for a few minutes.

Edit: I guess not.

Holy shit, since when did FG have so many Yoshis? I used to never encounter any. I just had to fight one in lag as DK, so I obviously lost (first stock I SDed at 50...), and then I lost to a Lucas and we both switched to Yoshi. Does everyone have a pocket Yoshi that they use to fight DK?

Lol, my bad. I got a bit engrossed in a thread. I'm heading online right now, if your still up for games.

JulianImp

Up for some games if someone wants to play.

Just got back from doing some overtime at work, so I guess I'll take you up on your offer and wind down with a couple Smash games...

Edit: I swear I've got items off... but now that I've checked it seems like my cousin turned them on when he was using it some time ago.

Edit2: Oh, now we've got some random lag spikes...

JulianImp

Hmm, delay's kinda bad, but it isn't -unplayable- I guess

What worries me are the random variable lag spikes, since they throw off my timing a lot more than constant input lag. Misisng a gab is more punishable for Pac than missing one of his smash attacks, ffs...

That last match was terrible. :p

lol, Anyway, great games. You figured me out after the first couple matches and drilled it home. Nice stuff!

That last match was terrible. :p

lol, Anyway, great games. You figured me out after the first couple matches, and drilled it home. Nice stuff!

Yeah. Amazing job teching with the lag!

Good games, too. Thanks. I don't often feel like I know what the opponent is going to do, but I felt confident you were going to do certain moves, especially jumping towards me. Biggest tips for fighting Yoshi: 1) After a double jab or a forward throw, don't jump right away unless you also air dodge while doing it. That is practically a free spike for me. 2) Shield. I can't kill you while you are shielding unless you allow me to get a down-B.

What happened to your Roy? I thought you had the best Roy here.

I saved the replays of the reflected fully charged Zelda down-B, and the double shield break with Yoshi. Those were too good. :)

GGs Twilt. I apologize if I broke any of the standard rules, I normally don't play non-matchmaking. I think my gameplay got more and more messy as time goes on. Some really stupid SDs as Marth too.

I'm still trying to get back into the swing of things and can't quite get the hang of chaining attacks out of throws.

Yeah. Amazing job teching with the lag!

Good games, too. Thanks. I don't often feel like I know what the opponent is going to do, but I felt confident you were going to do certain moves, especially jumping towards me. Biggest tips for fighting Yoshi: 1) After a double jab or a forward throw, don't jump right away unless you also air dodge while doing it. That is practically a free spike for me. 2) Shield. I can't kill you while you are shielding unless you allow me to get a down-B.

What happened to your Roy? I thought you had the best Roy here.

I saved the replays of the reflected fully charged Zelda down-B, and the double shield break with Yoshi. Those were too good. :)

I'm trying to get good with Mario since I loved watching Ally play. Plus I wanted to shake things up by using Zelda, since I don't know many people who use her. I also just didn't feel like playing Roy. Wanted some projectiles in my arsenal.

Thanks for the Yoshi tips. He was on fire today. :D

TWILT

Banned
GGs Twilt. I apologize if I broke any of the standard rules, I normally don't play non-matchmaking. I think my gameplay got more and more messy as time goes on. Some really stupid SDs as Marth too.

I'm still trying to get back into the swing of things and can't quite get the hang of chaining attacks out of throws.

GGs. It's fine; just know that Hyrule Castle (actually haven't bought the stage yet; that was my first time playing on it in Smash 4 lol) and Suzaku Castle are considered banned stages. Fun matches; be careful about rolling too much. Felt that you had too much of a habit that I caught on after a while.

I'm trying to get good with Mario since I loved watching Ally play, plus I wanted to shake things up by using Zelda, since I don't know many people who use her. I also just didn't feel like playing Roy. Wanted some projectiles in my arsenal.

Thanks for the Yoshi tips. He was on fire today. :D

Understandable. There are days where I just want to DK it out. There are two regulars here that use Zelda, but she is quite rare elsewhere.

Thanks! I just hope I am on fire at the tournament I going to on Sunday. Apparently it has pools so I have to get through those before the bracket :S

Marth is Ike tier. Take that for what you will.

Also, good luck at your tournament, try not to drown in pools! :D

Ike is decent. I have trouble with him using Yoshi. You say Yoshi can just run around and throw eggs all match, but Ike kills much easier and earlier, and he has some good set-ups. Essentially, sword users are good against Yoshi.

Thanks. I don't really know why there are pools right now, as there are only 21 people signed up so far, and registration closes on Friday. They also seem to have 8 setups and 1 setup for friendlies, so time isn't an issue. Anyone mind explaining what pools are, exactly? Are they just a smaller bracket? What happens if I lose in pools?

Nabster92

Ike is decent. I have trouble with him using Yoshi. You say Yoshi can just run around and throw eggs all match, but Ike kills much easier and earlier, and he has some good set-ups. Essentially, sword users are good against Yoshi.

Thanks. I don't really know why there are pools right now, as there are only 21 people signed up so far, and registration closes on Friday. They also seem to have 8 setups and 1 setup for friendlies, so time isn't an issue. Anyone mind explaining what pools are, exactly? Are they just a smaller bracket? What happens if I lose in pools?

If it's that small of a tournament, the only reason I could see them doing pools is if it's just breaking people into like groups of like 5-7 people and doing a round robin pool with top two going to a top 8 bracket or something of the sort so everyone gets to play more matches.

Typically, tournaments these days just have pools that are pretty much just sections of the full double elimination bracket just broken up for organizational purposes. In rare occasions like Melee Paragon, they don't carry over the losses in pools to the main bracket. In even bigger tournaments, they sometimes also do two waves of pools to get to the top 32 like Super Smash Con.

Edit: Smash Con carried over losses the entire way like most big tournaments, so if you advanced out of the first wave of pools in the losers bracket already, you would still be in the losers bracket in wave 2 of pools, and still in losers if you made it through that to top 32.

If it's that small of a tournament, the only reason I could see them doing pools is if it's just breaking people into like groups of like 5-7 people and doing a round robin pool with top two going to a top 8 bracket or something of the sort so everyone gets to play more matches.

Typically, tournaments these days just have pools that are pretty much just sections of the full double elimination bracket just broken up for organizational purposes. In rare occasions like Melee Paragon, they don't carry over the losses in pools to the main bracket. In even bigger tournaments, they sometimes also do two waves of pools to get to the top 32 like Super Smash Con.

Edit: Smash Con carried over losses the entire way like most big tournaments, so if you advanced out of the first wave of pools in the losers bracket already, you would still be in the losers bracket in wave 2 of pools, and still in losers if you made it through that to top 32.

Alright, thanks for the answer. They do currently have an 8 player bracket setup on Challonge right now, so I believe round robin pools and a double elimination 8 player bracket is how it is going to go. I thought it might be to get more matches in, as it would suck to only fight two opponents and lose $15.

I wonder how you play against Ike, even against an FG Yoshi worse than you all that happened was that Yoshi got the damage lead from a neutral B (;-;) and just jumped around and threw eggs. Yoshi never had to approach, I was the one who had to approach. If I waited, Yoshi would just keep throwing eggs. I run over there and I have to make serious guesses as to how Yoshi will move around me to try and hit him, and if I guess wrong I eat even more damage. I guess right, and I just hope I guessed correctly with the correct move. If it's usmash, hope to follow up and then prevent Yoshi from damaging me. Grab, hope I get the right follow up and prevent Yoshi from damaging me.

It was a boring slog of a match made worse by the fact it was on, of all places, fucking Omega Kalos (I'm beginning to suspect this is just a Yoshi thing in general.) I do think with platforms Ike has an easier time catching up to Yoshi, but Yoshi also has an easier time juggling him around as Ike's fastest option in the air is bair or counter, otherwise air dodge and hope you weren't baited.

Though we haven't played in a while and I welcome the challenge, and my Ike may not be the best (;__;) so this could just be non-indicative of the matchup. I'd sooner just counter with a character who has faster mobility than force myself through egg hell.

That sounds like a small tournament to have pools, though most entries tend to come around the last two days of registration. At Mashfest pools were like mini-brackets to thin out the competition to get to the final Top 32 pool, and since there were 8 pools the top 4 of each pool made it out. There were ~100 people and losses didn't carry over so I guess it was an exception rather than the rule. *shrug*

Maybe Yoshi fans like to pretend he is a Pokemon.

I decided to image search "yoshi pokemon" and went a few pages in to the results.

image.php

I wonder how you play against Ike, even against an FG Yoshi worse than you all that happened was that Yoshi got the damage lead from a neutral B (;-;) and just jumped around and threw eggs. Yoshi never had to approach, I was the one who had to approach. If I waited, Yoshi would just keep throwing eggs. I run over there and I have to make serious guesses as to how Yoshi will move around me to try and hit him, and if I guess wrong I eat even more damage. I guess right, and I just hope I guessed correctly with the correct move. If it's usmash, hope to follow up and then prevent Yoshi from damaging me. Grab, hope I get the right follow up and prevent Yoshi from damaging me.

It was a boring slog of a match made worse by the fact it was on, of all places, fucking Omega Kalos (I'm beginning to suspect this is just a Yoshi thing in general.) I do think with platforms Ike has an easier time catching up to Yoshi, but Yoshi also has an easier time juggling him around as Ike's fastest option in the air is bair or counter, otherwise air dodge and hope you weren't baited.

Though we haven't played in a while and I welcome the challenge, and my Ike may not be the best (;__;) so this could just be non-indicative of the matchup. I'd sooner just counter with a character who has faster mobility than force myself through egg hell.

That sounds like a small tournament to have pools, though most entries tend to come around the last two days of registration. At Mashfest pools were like mini-brackets to thin out the competition to get to the final Top 32 pool, and since there were 8 pools the top 4 of each pool made it out. There were ~100 people and losses didn't carry over so I guess it was an exception rather than the rule. *shrug*

I just play. I don't play against him a lot, so I am not fully trained to block ff nair + jab combo. It is like Pac-Man nairing off of a hydrant and then jabbing. For some reason I never remember that its a thing.

The best Ike I have played was on Anther's. My main problem was killing him, and him killing me at ~100%, or earlier if I was stupid (and I often was) and went over him head and got up smashed. :( If not approaching is the right option, I can do that, but it would be going against my playstyle. Most people here should know I am pretty aggressive and take a lot of risks, such as ff fair off the ledge. One thing I saw an Ike player on FG doing was charging up side-B from across the stage. I could only hit him if I jumped and threw an egg, but by the time that happened he was able to get enough charge to get close to me.

Omega Kalos is the king of all stages. Why should Sheik who has an amazing recovery get a wall jump? Omega Kalos that shit away from them. It also allows me to recover up the wall with Luigi, whereas on something like Dreamland, I have ended up with my head in the spikes.

One thing I noticed from my FG time today is that every single Yoshi knows jab release is his best option out of a grab, most of the time. Even if they were a terrible Yoshi, they still pummeled me a bunch and then grab released.

The tournament does seem a bit small in comparison to many others, but my city seems to be more Melee right now. At least the Smash Wii U scene is growing, and this tournament could potentially have 40 people. I don't know how the venue would fit that.

Maybe Yoshi fans like to pretend he is a Pokemon.

Nah, we just don't like that our stage is stuck on the 3DS. Sakurai, give me 3DS Stage DLC Pack, please.

On the plus side, I found a picture of Nami on the weekends:

Please, that isn't even a blue Yoshi.

I can confirm that this is the first result when searching for "yoshi". Watching now...

Finished. I never knew I could be so happy.

I decided to watch it myself after you posted.

It was so over-the-top ridiculous I couldn't help but laugh at it. Whoever worked on this had a fair bit of effort put into it at least.

Top Bottom