• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

RomanceDawn

So my internet has been acting up.

I did some speed test and I don't know what these things mean.

PING 29ms

Download Speed 57.38 Mbps

Upload Speed 5.66 Mbps

I don't know what this means but I'm certain it's no good and the reason why my Smash connection has become so poor recently. My whole internet has been running super slow. Maybe I have some virus or something on my MAC? What is the finest, free'est solution?

So my internet has been acting up.

I did some speed test and I don't know what these things mean.

PING 29ms

Download Speed 57.38 Mbps

Upload Speed 5.66 Mbps

I don't know what this means but I'm certain it's no good and the reason why my Smash connection has become so poor recently. My whole internet has been running super slow. Maybe I have some virus or something on my MAC? What is the finest, free'est solution?

Your download and upload speeds are fine. In fact, I just did a two speed tests and here are the results:

Ping: 25-27ms
Download speed: 45.46 Mb/s
Upload speed: 21.93 Mb/s

So our internet is very similar. I don't know why you are getting the connection that you are, especially since your Wii U is wired. The most important factor once you have speeds like you're getting is the ping.

For fun, I also have a 5G network that my Wii U can't connect to, but my laptop can. Here are its results:

Ping: 12 ms
Download speed: 151.45 Mb/s
Upload speed: 21.94 Mb/s

All of this is done on WiFi. If I was wired, my download and upload speeds would be doubled, and my Wii U would be able to use the 5G network. The ping should also be lower.

RomanceDawn

That is always worth a try. You did say you are wired yesterday, right? Possibly a problem with the Ethernet cable or adapter.

But then when I try to watch youtube on my phone or even loading websites on my MAC I've been having problems. It seems like a system wide thing. Though maybe slow computer and slow Smash Bros are 2 separate issues.

But then when I try to watch youtube on my phone or even loading websites on my MAC I've been having problems. It seems like a system wide thing. Though maybe slow computer and slow Smash Bros are 2 separate issues.

It could be a modem thing, then. Or your ISP is throttling you or having problems.

RomanceDawn

Maybe you guys are right. I just reset my router and the numbers are even higher. Anyone want to play Smash and test it out really quick?

RomanceDawn

Hooray! Everything is back to normal!

GGs I finally beat your Yoshi! Too bad I only beat your DK once. I'm supposed to be the DK round here! Though with a new baby it's been impossible to keep up my play.

Thanks for your help.

Good games, Romance. I really was playing against Bowser Jr. extremely unsafely. I can play you more once I am done eating if you still are available. The connection was great.

RomanceDawn

Good games, Romance. I really was playing against Bowser Jr. extremely unsafely. I can play you more once I am done eating if you still are available. The connection was great.

Yeah it was almost perfect. Our connection is read as yellow but it might as well be blue.

Sorry you left at just the right time. Got so many errands to run. Thanks again.

Hooray! Everything is back to normal!

GGs I finally beat your Yoshi! Too bad I only beat your DK once. I'm supposed to be the DK round here! Though with a new baby it's been impossible to keep up my play.

Thanks for your help.

Yeah it was almost perfect. Our connection is read as yellow but it might as well be blue.

Sorry you left at just the right time. Got so many errands to run. Thanks again.

Haha, I am afraid I want the title of best DK/Luigi/Yoshi in this thread.

I don't think the connection meter means anything. Boney's is practically always red for me, but we usually have a great connection. I have fought people with blue/green connections and there was stuttering and input lag.

Anyone want to play?

What the fuck... can Fox seriously gimp Yoshi recovering low by just jabbing over the ledge? That is dumb as hell, even worse than Charizard's neutral-B. There is a trick Yoshi can do to avoid moves like those, but I haven't practiced it at all.

What the fuck... can Fox seriously gimp Yoshi recovering low by just jabbing over the ledge? That is dumb as hell, even worse than Charizard's neutral-B. There is a trick Yoshi can do to avoid moves like those, but I haven't practiced it at all.
Why not Egg toss him before your double jump?

Why not Egg toss him before your double jump?

I was trying to edge guard him with bair. I missed and he is now standing and holding jab. I double jump and hit him with and egg right as I am about to land and his jab still hits me and I fall to my death. This happened twice in one match, but the first time was a little different. Both times I had just hit him with an egg and still got gimped. He wasn't even good as he had only put 40% on me the whole match.

The trick to get past this is to jump right below the ledge and down B but not hold down. Yoshi should grab the ledge if done correctly and avoid the jab or fire breath or whatever gimps him super easily. I don't often need to fight these opponents so I haven't practiced it much.

I was trying to edge guard him with bair. I missed and he is now standing and holding jab. I double jump and hit him with and egg right as I am about to land and his jab still hits me and I fall to my death. This happened twice in one match, but the first time was a little different. Both times I had just hit him with an egg and still got gimped. He wasn't even good as he had only put 40% on me the whole match.

The trick to get past this is to jump right below the ledge and down B but not hold down. Yoshi should grab the ledge if done correctly and avoid the jab or fire breath or whatever gimps him super easily. I don't often need to fight these opponents so I haven't practiced it much.
It seems like Yoshi should always want to recover high. He has such good tools from above.

It seems like Yoshi should always want to recover high. He has such good tools from above.

Yeah, but that unfortunately isn't an option when I go for a ledge guard. I tend to not return to the ledge and instead go for the stage, but I should really recover high and down-B to the ledge most of the time. A lot of Mario players beat me using just up smash because it destroys aerial characters.

Boney

Banned

Why not use the super armor from the jump? As lín. gas you don't do Anything, small attacks shouldn't gimp you right?

Why not use the super armor from the jump? As lín. gas you don't do Anything, small attacks shouldn't gimp you right?

The jump wasn't enough for me to get back to the stage, so I had to throw the egg. Maybe I just shouldn't use bair to stage spike fox, and go for the safer nair/jumping nair, or even reverse fair.

Could always try to kill the traditional way instead of situational jank.

Also puts you in a safer position.

I don't think taking advantage of Fox's linear recovery is situational jank. I need to take advantage of all opportunities to beat a character better than mine. I've never been gimped by a Fox like that, so I didn't know it a was thing, and it happened twice in one match.

Played a ton of Smash Wii U against randoms at a party over the weekend and had a lot of fun. I was probably the second-best player there, right behind this ridiculously good Kirby player.

Normally that matchup would be significantly in Mega Man's favor, but I wasn't able to pull off any wins against him one-on-one because he had specifically trained and prepared for that matchup.

For what it's worth, though, the guy told me I gave him a real challenge despite his preparation for the matchup and said I was one of the best Mega Man mains he'd ever played. I have to say, my spacing game has gotten really good. Still don't know how well I compare to SmashGAF's best, but I'm very pleased with the progress I've been making!

Alright sham and flux I'm ready. Sham you wanna make the room? I don't think I have flux added
Edit: forgot about maintenance. I guess we can play at 10pmEST

Top Bottom