• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

GGs, Nami. Was really worried that I would be rusty, but my tech and stuff is still as it used to be. Your Yoshi has gotten a lot better. I do see a lot of Fairs, but not sure if most Yoshis do that.

Lucina is so fun. :p

Picked Big Battlefield on accident. :p

Jeez, Sheik is so good on this stage, haha.

Yeah, if I wanted to, I could likely have needle camped you the entire time.

GGs, Nami. Was really worried that I would be rusty, but my tech and stuff is still as it used to be. Your Yoshi has gotten a lot better. I do see a lot of Fairs, but not sure if most Yoshis do that.

Lucina is so fun. :p

Good games. It has been a while. Your Meta Knight is definitely better than when we did our ranbats set. I didn't understand what was happening at first, and I accidentally was jabbing at the start of the set when I wanted another input. I think I adjusted, though.

Fox trot not only allows characters like Lucina to have better mobility and get out a quick Fsmash, it is also really annoying!

I do use Fair a lot as Yoshi. The output quantity of my Fair and Nair should probably be switched, but you didn't punish my Fair much, and when you did, it wasn't too hard.

Sorry, just saw this comment. Depends on Namikaze; I'd personally prefer not to this time since these matches are pretty contentious.

Edit: GGs. Those WFT vs. Yoshi matches were all pretty close.

Good games, too. Yeah, at the beginning it was going in my favour, but you quickly brought it back and it went even from there. It felt like even though I knew what you were going to do (pivot ftilt, run straight up and grab, jab cancel), I didn't have anything to contest it. The the difference in when our characters killed was not helping. Nice matches overall.

Bladenic

Does anyone still play the 3DS version? Got it today and wouldn't mind playing some people for fun (I'll be bad).

Also I hate that the trophies no longer show the game of origin. How lame.

Cronox

Banned
For Jr and the Mecha Koopa, since there is a ton of lag when using the move often times you can dash attack grabbing the robot and hitting me at the same time. I'm sure you aware of this but for most Jrs I play it can be really useful because the Koopa just has to be out for most players. Just standing and pressing jab works well too but practice it with a partner because the timing can be tricky.

Ha no practice partners ever where I am. I think I've played just a few matches locally, and that's cause a friend was visiting that has since moved 7 hours away. Dash attack is actually the usual opening against a scrubby Jr player whose first move is to throw out a mecha koopa. In the time it takes them to do that, Bowser can grab it and hit them with the dash attack. It gets more complicated when the koopa is close since Bowser's dash carries him pretty far before he can act out of it (besides pivot grab and klaw) so if I accidentally dash I get hit. It's just one of those things... The game so rarely calls for me to have to finesse my character that just walking and judging grab distance is challenging sometimes.

For everyone talking about how bad the mecha koopa is as an attack, I think you're all missing the point. The koopa, just like Dedede's gordo, is about controlling space. Saying you can grab it is like saying you can grab all Mega Man's buzz saws... doable in theory but falls apart in practice. Much like saying you can hit Dedede's gordo back is seen as some sort of general rebuttal of the move. That moment where you hit the gordo back and Dedede nairs it back into you, that moment where your airdodge to catch a buzzsaw and catch a followup anyway, that moment where you mistimed picking up the mecha koopa, or are facing the wrong way and have to hold shield the whole time it walks through you - those are where you're falling into the trap. They put you at a disadvantage, and take away safe options. That is their purpose, and no amount of "but you can do this" will help you once it's too late. As soon as one setup fails, the next one starts. You tossed it back? They shielded it and the next one is on it's way. Don't get me started on how mecha koopas and gordos control ledge options. Gordo mindgames are particularly painful, but the mecha koopa serves the same purpose. It works as intended and when a great player uses them as intended they are nightmarish to deal with. You're playing entire matches where there is almost no safe space, where you're constantly at a disadvantage. Whatever you do to counter the space controlling move only gives the other player a chance to start it all over again. And very rarely does a character benefit as much from getting the hit (koopa/gordo/buzzsaw/banana) as the character that originally threw it out.

Boney

Banned
I wanna play somebody

Does anyone still play the 3DS version? Got it today and wouldn't mind playing some people for fun (I'll be bad).

Not many but if you ask I'm sure some folks would be down

Boney

Banned
Also, retaking the pk fire discussion from the other day. I'm so annoyed at how Shamrock shrugged it off.

Obviously if all you do is pk fire of course you're gonna lose. But it's a very safe projectile (against most of the cast) that will get you either over 30% at low percents. Early kills with the bat and early kills (lol ness) with back throw.

Just being able to space out with those as if they hit you win the match is really terrible especially compared to robin's arc fire, which has ton more start up, tons more end lag, has limited uses before it needs to recharge (and screws you out of a jab combo) a much worse angle and decent rewards out of it..

It's so wrong

Also, retaking the pk fire discussion from the other day. I'm so annoyed at how Shamrock shrugged it off.

Obviously if all you do is pk fire of course you're gonna lose. But it's a very safe projectile (against most of the cast) that will get you either over 30% at low percents. Early kills with the bat and early kills (lol ness) with back throw.

Just being able to space out with those as if they hit you win the match is really terrible especially compared to robin's arc fire, which has ton more start up, tons more end lag, has limited uses before it needs to recharge (and screws you out of a jab combo) a much worse angle and decent rewards out of it..

It's so wrong
I think PK Fire is mostly fair. It is completely punishable on a perfect shield, it has no benefit if blocked, and has a significant enough startup that you can punish it on reaction once you hear "P". Arcfire is a terrible move, but that doesn't mean PK Fire has to be terrible, too. Top Robin players don't even use Arcfire outside of ledgeguarding, but it does have the benefit of giving a free throw even on block (yum!).

The only thing I don't like about PK Fire is how stackable it is. I've eaten 60% damage as Bowser near a ledge from PK Fire stacks, and that really is ridiculous. A change so that Ness can't use PK Fire if the fire pillar is active would be fair.

JulianImp

It's so wrong

I don't know. I feel like Ness has enough end lag to allow me to punish him with a decent hit, and the way the projectile flies so close to the ground means that most characters can just short-hop over it for a free punish (depending on their aerial mobility, I guess).

I was able to avoid nearly all normal PK fires that the Ness that took me out of the tournament fired my way, but then I wasn't expecting him to use full hop PK fires, which got me good a couple times.

One of the things that I've noticed playing some higher level players is the ability to read rolls and use ftilts when the opponent is rolling.

I've conditioned myself to shield and grab, or run and grab any whiffs, but some characters have little ending on their moves, which ends up in me whiffing my grab and getting punished.

I'm trying to work on reacting to whiffs with ftilts (I'm a Sheik player) if I notice my grabs whiffing, which have bigger range and I believe are less punishable, but man, is it difficult to use ftilts effectively in close range and in the heat of the battle...

Still ended up with some positive results =P in between every match I just keep tilting to all sorts of directions to try and get the muscle memory right :<

I don't know. I feel like Ness has enough end lag to allow me to punish him with a decent hit, and the way the projectile flies so close to the ground means that most characters can just short-hop over it for a free punish (depending on their aerial mobility, I guess).

I was able to avoid nearly all normal PK fires that the Ness that took me out of the tournament fired my way, but then I wasn't expecting him to use full hop PK fires, which got me good a couple times.

Definitely has some ending lag and when you read a PK fire it's free punish, but it's dangerous to short hop it if you don't space it well. Timing it wrong will get you a free bat to face D:

FluxWaveZ

GGs. Wii Fit Trainer is so scary. Next time I should be a little more competent. Almost the entire time I had a baby crying hard next to me with my wife walking back and forth in front of the tv.

Next time use Sonic as well, I need the practice.

I don't know when the last time I played Sonic was. I'd probably be real rusty if I had to pick him up again.

Bladenic

I wanna play somebody

Not many but if you ask I'm sure some folks would be down

Hopefully! Too bad the OT hasn't been posted in since March

Also the PAL version still shows the games and dates of origin? That's some bullshit, wtf were the NA people thinking

Ohh sorry dude, did you want to quit? Lost track of the time myself lol. Just one or two matches then.

It's cool, I'll just take a nap around noon anyway lol. Not like I needed sleep anyway.

What's really bothering me is how the game is trying to make it look like I'm using a lag switch to win...

JulianImp

Definitely has some ending lag and when you read a PK fire it's free punish, but it's dangerous to short hop it if you don't space it well. Timing it wrong will get you a free bat to face D:

Well, not with Pac, since his aerials tend to be fast enough and he can always deploy a hydrant to bail out... even though you'll probably end up getting hit by a deflected or loose hydrant, which can be bad depending on your %, but it's often way better than getting hit by Ness' fsmash.

I also love that Blinky can block PK fire, since it means that if I go for a hard punish and misread a dash into grab attempt he takes one for the team and denies the attack quite well. I've also been able to get out of the fire by spamming upB, since it gets interrupted but not before its hitbox becomes active for an instant, so spamming it can hit a Ness that goes for a contact move.

An unwritten rule I try to abide to while playing Pac-Man is to consider grab attempts only for hard reads, since missing one often leaves me vulnerable for long enough that Pac becomes little more than a punching bag.

That was just ridiculous.

GGs TWILT, I don't have any clue whether it was lag or my own inadequacy that decided most of those matches, but it's clear you beat me. I couldn't play Fox worth shit, my Doc was straight up walking into things and everyone else was just standing there getting beaten up for no good reason. :(

I'd say I need a break, but I already took one. What do I need then? Maybe not playing so late? I don't know, but I feel like I've reached a new plateau I don't know how to overcome yet...

I feel sad like a sober sea lion. :(

TWILT

Banned
That was just ridiculous.

GGs TWILT, I don't have any clue whether it was lag or my own inadequacy that decided most of those matches, but it's clear you beat me. I couldn't play Fox worth shit, my Doc was straight up walking into things and everyone else was just standing there getting beaten up for no good reason. :(

I'd say I need a break, but I already took one. What do I need then? Maybe not playing so late? I don't know, but I feel like I've reached a new plateau I don't know how to overcome yet...

I feel sad like a sober sea lion. :(

GGs man. Don't be so hard on yourself; I thought you were doing pretty well and I thought the matches were pretty close anyway. Both Marios always kept me on my toes and I thought your Fox was great too. Lag can make even the most simplest of inputs a bit messy sometimes haha, so don't beat yourself over it too much. Shame about the lag though; thought we could have a lot better matches if the connection was more smooth >_<

I took a break too to catch on some games I've been meaning to play (just finished both Danganronpas last week~). I try and not play too late because I end up doing a lot stupid stuff when I'm tired, but I got home pretty late today, so yeah lol. Anyway, matches were fun; hope the connection's better next time we play!

Dr. Buni

I still play it regularly, a bit more than the Wii U version since I don't have a TV in my bedroom (and off tv play doesn't work with Splatoon, so...).

My FC is 2079-8346-7632, let me know if you want to play later.

Cronox

Banned
So I've uploaded a good number of videos now. Most of them are just me going in dry, so to speak, on people in for glory. For example, if I had a "featured ownings" front page, this would be a featured video: https://youtu.be/3t8kPZMw7zU. But I save some more competitive matches occasionally too.

Here's a match against a surprisingly good Zelda I mentioned a bit ago: https://youtu.be/zbgcS4wuQf0

Also, a gift for Namikaze. Well, it's like an anti-gift. But it's for Namikaze anyway. Because this match reminded me of the complaints about Yoshi having trouble killing. My DI, stage positioning and shielding at higher percents was pretty on point for this match. Also Yoshi sucks. But not in a way that makes him less than top 15, no matter how many videos Zero makes saying random characters are top tier.

I think I'm going to see if I can collect a good spanking for every character in the game. I've always been pretty conservative about what I put on the internet, especially video. But there's so much trash on Youtube, I figure why can't some of it be mine?

I've got some guy commenting on a bunch of my videos and I have no idea how he found them, so that's new too. A little weird, but whatever.

Edit: ah shit I forgot about our matches Magius! Another time.

Yoshi doesn't suck, but that one did for multiple reasons. First, and this is definitely the most important reason, is his colour. He made the wrong choice of choosing black, and anything other then dark blue, or green if you want to go with regular colors, is wrong. Although after seeing his play, he doesn't to use blue Yoshi, so he should just stop playing Yoshi. Second, them rolls. Yoshi's rolls suck, but he kept rolling a lot, and even back and forth. Last, he was super desperate for that kill. He could've killed you a lot earlier by filing shielding a fortress and using up smash, but instead he opts for 8000 random up smashes that you shield.

Top Bottom