• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Vena

I wonder if the massive changes to dodge, shield, and stun is worthy of a thread! :p

That said, Smash Thursdays tomorrow is going to be a very bitter time for some of our folk, haha.

BY2K

Membero Americo
They changed something to stun and dodge, too?

EDIT: WOW, they REALLY want to make this game more offensive-based, don't they?

Vena

They changed something to stun and dodge, too?

Shield stun/hitlag, sorry.

Dodges and air dodges are laggier, according to reddit research, and shield regen is nerfed as well.

They nerfed defense across the board, and hard.

RomanceDawn

Shield stun/hitlag, sorry.

Dodges and air dodges are laggier, according to reddit research, and shield regen is nerfed as well.

They nerfed defense across the board, and hard.

Wowzers! It all sounds so good! On paper anyway! DK is going to be wrecking shields like crazy!

So in theory does this help characters who are considered low tier who can't just speed blitz the competition like a few other characters can?

Boney

Banned
Wowzers! It all sounds so good! On paper anyway! DK is going to be wrecking shields like crazy!

So in theory does this help characters who are considered low tier who can't just speed blitz the competition like a few other characters can?
Shield breaker moves like the Headbutt got nerfed.

And who knows, it might go the other way, like character you rely on shielding to approach like bowser are gonna be on an even tighter spot.

Vena

Wait, what happened with Kars?

Hard to say exactly what it will do, only time will tell. It will make certain approach options safer, though, and remove some of the importance on mix-ups and instead more a question of good spacing.

Also this made me laugh:

GlossyYoungHake.gif

RomanceDawn

Shield breaker moves like the Headbutt got nerfed.

And who knows, it might go the other way, like character you rely on shielding to approach like bowser are gonna be on an even tighter spot.

Yeah I read that about shield breakers but with these changes it is sounding more and more like despite the value of say DK's shield breaker head butt going down it will ultimately be easier to make it happen because of the other factors. At least that's what I think I saw theorized from other DK players.

Cronox

Banned
Just observing from the sidelines here cause I'm traveling at the moment. On one side I don't mind perfect shielding becoming more important, but this has the potential to make projectile characters even harder to get in on, especially Mega Man given one can't perfect shield the buzzsaw. Also wouldn't Sonic be even harder to punish? I don't look forward to this.

Hopefully this works out better than I fear...

Dr. Buni

And I think it's not a bad thing.
It is if the game becomes "offensive oriented" to the point zoners/defensive become completely outclassed by rushdown characters. Worst thing that could happen is Smash 4 become another rushdown wankfest like Melee. Hopefully characters like Olimar, Mega Man, Rosalina & Luma and the less rushdown Villager playstyle can still shine.

RomanceDawn

Just observing from the sidelines here cause I'm traveling at the moment. On one side I don't mind perfect shielding becoming more important, but this has the potential to make projectile characters even harder to get in on, especially Mega Man given one can't perfect shield the buzzsaw. Also wouldn't Sonic be even harder to punish? I don't look forward to this.

Oh I didn't think about that...

Serrato

It is if the game becomes "offensive oriented" to the point zoners/defensive become completely outclassed by rushdown characters. Worst thing that could happen is Smash 4 become another rushdown wankfest like Melee. Hopefully characters like Olimar, Mega Man, Rosalina & Luma and the less rushdown Villager playstyle can still shine.

I don't think that it will affect that much defensive characters that thrived on zoning and the neutral game defensive. It is simply that overall, air dodge, rolling and shield are less effective as defensive measures.

While i'm no Pro, I think the game was overly on the defense side.

but maybe i'm wrong.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Well if an opponent doesn't perfect shield Aerial Bowser Bomb they now have a broken shield regardless of who they are.

^_^

JulianImp

I check this thread after the latest patch hits, and not only do I learn that Pac remains completely unchanged, but Diddy gets a crazy glitch that makes it immune to any kind of grabbing moves?

Even though I'm still not going to come back to the game, I'm interested in seeing how the changes to defensive options and increased shieldstun pan out. It's cool how this signals that they could very well rework whole parts of the game engine in updates to try things out, even though it might annoy the competitive community if they have to go back and rethink all their strategies to adjust to such large-scale changes to how the game plays.

Beats

So, C-stick set to Smash aerials don't take away momentum anymore with this update.

Still might use tilts though to do retreating/advancing neutral airs.

Top Bottom