• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Sorry, i have better connection most of the time :/

It's because my internet looks like this:
RL4i7MY.jpg

I'm too late, but if you are free sometime today, I wanna fight you Boney. It's been way too long! I'll try to keep an eye on this thread as much as I can.

RomanceDawn

So what's the general thoughts on the changed mechanics? Is it significantly changing up your at styles? Do you guys like it? I know Karst got banned, anyone here from him about how he likes this? I can't play or watch YouTube so I have to live through your forums posts.

Oidisco

So what's the general thoughts on the changed mechanics? Is it significantly changing up your at styles? Do you guys like it? I know Karst got banned, anyone here from him about how he likes this? I can't play or watch YouTube so I have to live through your forums posts.

Honestly it hasn't made that much of a difference to me. I've broken shields more easily than usual with Samus, but otherwise it feels the same.

From a Zelda standpoint, specifically after learning a couple of things from forums it's helped me a ton. The main info I've gotten is that jab ends the exact time it's shield hitstun ends (Both 11 frames). So basically if Zelda's jab hits shield, you're basically guaranteed a free grab unless the other guy pulls off frame perfect actions. Zelda also gains with her aerials. They are way safer now if they contact a shield, the hitstun now prevents most, if not all chars from punishing her landing from a shielded f-air or b-air.

Ugh, never going to recover from those Samus beatdowns, so I'll stop here. Good games. I can see why Samus is a poor character, but at the same time she's extremely frustrating. =_=

Boney

Banned
Gg's! Toon link gives me so much trouble for some reason.
I really recommend you working on your landing though, you were constantly gravitating towards all my up smashes and that shouldn't happen at all!

Honestly it hasn't made that much of a difference to me. I've broken shields more easily than usual with Samus, but otherwise it feels the same.
It's a shame Karst isn't around to give input on the patch. But while it isn't dramatically altering the game, it really does help in making one more safe when hitting shields. I'm geting away with things I know I shouldn't. Dair and back air are a lot safer and so is dtilt and up tilt.

RomanceDawn

Wow, I feel like this will be great for my play style. Keep the impressions coming!

I hear projectiles aren't as over whelming or something about them not causing the same kind of shield stun that a physical hit might? Can anyone elaborate?

Boney

Banned
Wow, I feel like this will be great for my play style. Keep the impressions coming!

I hear projectiles aren't as over whelming or something about them not causing the same kind of shield stun that a physical hit might? Can anyone elaborate?
I don't know the technical aspects but that is the gist of it. Not sure if all projectiles though or how does it work, because samus missiles and the CS still pack a heavy punch on shield.

Gg's! Toon link gives me so much trouble for some reason.
I really recommend you working on your landing though, you were constantly gravitating towards all my up smashes and that shouldn't happen at all!

Thanks for the advice! I think when I was gravitating towards your attacks I was thinking I could attack you first or something. I'm not sure, it seemed like it happened a lot where I was thinking, "I'll attack him here" and then you'd beat me to the punch. ><

I don't think you'll have to worry about Toon Link much longer. I don't think I can work with a zoning playstyle anymore. :/

Soul Lab

is anyone online here?

question: who is the doctor mario player here? Captain Rage Quit?
yesterday I got destroyed by a good doctor mario on a tourney. I need to learn the match up :)

is anyone online here?

question: who is the doctor mario player here? Captain Rage Quit?
yesterday I got destroyed by a good doctor mario on a tourney. I need to learn the match up :)

I played CRQ once and i can confirm that he or she has a great Doc Mario.

Hope to have the Wii U back by tommorow, havent had any matches vs anyone with the new update yet. Wonder how my characters would do with the shield change.

I've never given up on Ike, he's been with me since my Falco days. :)

Also did someone call for me and my Doc? I probably won't be able to play until Wednesday but we can set up a thing. :)

JulianImp

I played some FG yesterday. Loved getting the Mario Maker stage, since it looks like even the omega version changes the graphics and music every now and then (SMB3 for best music confirmed). I also realized I've gotten pretty damn rusty at the game, but that probably can't be helped.

It was a bit sad how I had to play a whole three or four matches before I was already getting bored of my good old friend Pac-Man. Would it kill the team to buff his grab or make his dair/utilt viable moves someday?

I'm reaching a plateau I need to overcome with this game. I can't keep counter picking and expect to win anymore. I have to start dedicating myself to the characters I truly want to take with me to the top.

Time to really focus myself on Fox. :)

I played some FG yesterday. Loved getting the Mario Maker stage, since it looks like even the omega version changes the graphics and music every now and then (SMB3 for best music confirmed). I also realized I've gotten pretty damn rusty at the game, but that probably can't be helped.

It was a bit sad how I had to play a whole three or four matches before I was already getting bored of my good old friend Pac-Man. Would it kill the team to buff his grab or make his dair/utilt viable moves someday?

Better do some sick Galaxian combos. But Link got the best grab buff and I'm not really holding out on anybody else getting any.

I'm reaching a plateau I need to overcome with this game. I can't keep counter picking and expect to win anymore. I have to start dedicating myself to the characters I truly want to take with me to the top.

Time to really focus myself on Fox. :)

I already said this like 10 times.
I'm getting better but everyone I play with has to experience the stutter hell, so I can only play GAF and For Glory.

Boney

Banned
So Zero believes Luigi is the most hated character in the history of smash 4. Worse than pre patch diddy and Shiek. Also Shiek is fine cause hey nerfed her back air and needles once

So Zero believes Luigi is the most hated character in the history of smash 4. Worse than pre patch diddy and Shiek. Also Shiek is fine cause hey nerfed her back air and needles once

No friggin way, everyone hated pre patch Diddy. Even Diddy mains hated pre patch Diddy.

Luigi's hated because of his stupid grab bs, but other than that he's fine. Also lolZero in regards to Sheik.

Thulius

He's certainly not the best character in the game but I can see Luigi as most hated. Everything about his design is antithetical to the way most people want to play Smash. If you go in and press buttons carelessly you're gonna get bodied, and even when you do land a hit you have to worry about Nair, tornado or randomly dying to a misfire. Pre-patch Diddy was worse but there weren't a lot of people actually putting in the work to make him stand out like he should've.

Sheik is obviously better, but unless you're playing a character that just loses to needles nothing about her is "dumb" up front. You never lose to a Sheik and feel like you got randomed out or whatever. She doesn't have the explosive potential of characters like Luigi/ZSS/Metaknight where you make one mistake and eat some 50% combo into a potential kill. It's just lots of really solid, safe neutral options.

It's already time for the weekly "The best player in the world somehow manages to be consistently wrong?" Luigi KO combos were crazy-dumb, but Diddy Kong was so overpowered that you truly didn't even need to be good with him to win.

Sheik doesn't need burst damage because she's never at a disadvantage at any point, and takes the advantage and complete stage control off of one forward air. Needles are just so thoroughly dumb and the nerf to them was completely negligible. If they had addressed the problem from the start rather than irrelevantly nerfing her KO options, the game wouldn't be in this situation where people say dumb shit like "Sheik can't KO" or that she's "already been nerfed."

Boney

Banned
Completely agreed with snacks. Her "solid" neutral options puts her in positions where you are always at a disadvantage when facing her, no matter where or who you are. She has the best tools in the game, that sure won't kill at 40% but it doesn't matter because she'll rack up to 100% much easier than any character. No tool gives you better stage position than fair (it ko's fairly well so there's that), floppy fish gives you follow ups from everything, ko's, gimps, saves you from sticky situations when landing andrecovers like stupidly good, up air is amazing and kills very well and has the "50/50" with vanish (which is a lie, you either get hit by up air and it gets stale or you die to vanish until hit up air or fair kills). Vanish is the best up b in the game. It's ungimpable, 360 degree movement, kills and covers a lot of distance. Needles have been covered as well. Then all of her other moves are amazing in the neutral, her aerials, tilts and jab are SSS tier. Not even her smashes are bad, it's just that she has better options all the time so they're semi worthless, but fsmash beats spot dodges, up smash has that sweetspot and downsmash kills moderately well if you went past a little % and someone rolls in.

Consistently winning the neutral is worse than characters having one or two stupid moves that can win the game by mistake, it's a lot more frustrating not being able to do anything rather than getting robbed of your victory.

For the love of god get rid of the invincibility frames in vanish at least.

The amount of non hate Shiek gets in the community makes me feel like I'm taking crazy pills. She can kill better than 90% of the cast.

Thulius

Not disagreeing with you guys at all, I just don't think it's the majority opinion. Sheik's dumb in a way that lots of people like. She moves fast and gets to press lots of buttons. It looks flashy to people who aren't particularly good. As strong as she is, she's not a character you can just pick up and play without significant knowledge of the game and it's not immediately obvious to most people how much of that work is the character vs the player.

Meanwhile Luigi pretty much only needs to know how to throw fireballs, do a couple throw combos and mash Nair/tornado to frustrate mid level players, and even at high levels you need to adjust your play completely to fight Luigi compared to most other characters.

To say that Sheik is fine and Luigi is worse than pre-patch Diddy is extreme hyperbole but it's not like we don't know Zero is bad with words at this point :v

Top Bottom