• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

SoldnerKei

I was pretty underwhelmed by the patch, but the shield stun change is big.

Some numbers for Link from Smashboards:

Just saw that, since it makes Link a little more safer on shields, is a pretty big deal.

I thought he didn't got anything but mostly because I tested damage values, good to know he got buffed.

oh Dark Link, what a magnificent beast.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Smashboards is saying there are universal increases to shield damage and shield stun.

If shield breaking moves hadn't been nerfed along with it, there would have been instant shield breaks going on.

That could be good news. I'm concerned that it could lead people to become more campy with their characters because they don't want to make the risky moves. I guess it's something that we could keep our eyes out for future tournaments to see any changes.

The players is definitely going to change the gameplay and how they play with their characters.

Shielding may have become an incredibly unsafe option now. My Twitter feed is blowing up with gifs of players doing all sorts of shield break shenanigans thanks to increased hitstun that basically leads to either heavy damage or 0-death combos.

Either this is really good, or we could be seeing a lot of heavy camping at high levels as everyone's just baiting out shields and doing the safest possible actions.

Pretty much, yeah.

https://vine.co/v/eawF5zWXzUE

The end of days is approaching.

Oh, man. I'm scared now! XD

Crayolan

Now I want to see how effective Rollout is at breaking shields. It was already a shield breaker if you let it be but since it's not technically considered a shield breaker move it might not have been nerfed in that regard.

CQKdKvXWwAAZ9RX.png

I'm ready

TWILT

Banned
Universal shield stun change is interesting; was asking for this kind of thing for a while. I was always of the opinion some characters needed a lot less than others though. We'll see what happens I guess; already seeing (possibly really stupid) setups.

The idea of my long range sword main being safer on block is more than a little motivating. Already have some possibly disgusting Shulk setups in my head too...
QKzo7Iy.gif

If he's actually serious with that post, then...
0sbFXOY.jpg

Metal B

I guess, they tested the changes of the shield-stun and less the characters directly. There will be more major character-changes with a new character.

The Adder

Banned
Well, my Dedede either got a whole lot better or a whole lot worse.

I get a plurality of my Dedede wins from shield pressure and shield breaks...

But I do a lot of air dodging.

lmao, apparently when you shield Yoshi's dair shieldstun forces you to shield the whole thing, so either you're getting broke or you pray it pokes through or ends early.

Big changes are gonna be coming from this.

RomanceDawn

I'm reading all the responses but I'm not sure I understand what the new shield changes mean. Is it that shields break easier and when getting struck while shielding you get stunned longer?

I need a super dumbed down explanation.

In addition, did anyone else notice the new brackets in Tourney Mode?

For one thing, you can now partake in 1v1 Custom Glory tournies that actually disable equipment, only allowing custom specials. I also noticed a lot of For Glory Battlefield tournies now.

If you're a Palutena player like me, the former is a godsend.

Funny that ZeRo would say other people don't know what they're talking about when he has sub-par knowledge of 90% of the cast, but the tweet is deleted now anyway.

I don't know what this will help. Maybe guaranteed shield break on crossup for Ryu, almost zero reason for Greninja to ever use shield. We'll have to see which characters git gud and which get screwed.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Pretty sure this was like the worst possible way of dealing with shields.
The increase in shieldstun is only gonna make the meta much more offensive oriented. Sakurai seems to have taken to heart the complaints that the game was too defensive-minded. This is a good thing.

The increase in shieldstun is only gonna make the meta much more offensive oriented. Sakurai seems to have taken to heart the complaints that the game was too defensive-minded. This is a good thing.

Agreed. It's going to take some time to get over habits of doing everything out of shield. Overall, this will force people to attack more if they want to be successful

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Agreed. It's going to take some time to get over habits of doing everything out of shield. Overall, this will force people to attack more if they want to be successful
With shieldstun increased that means that grabbing won't be the center focus of the metagame. It's gonna make characters with tether grabs a lot more viable now.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm reading all the responses but I'm not sure I understand what the new shield changes mean. Is it that shields break easier and when getting struck while shielding you get stunned longer?

I need a super dumbed down explanation.
When you shielded a move before, you were able to almost immediately perform another action. This made shielding very safe, and it was not uncommon to see players wait for a bait to perform a grab into whatever (think Hoo Has). What they did now is that you are stucking into shielding after you get hit for a little longer, like it was in Melee and 64. This encourages people to try to break your shield or poke you through it as it gets smaller. It's a huge change in how Smash 4 is played at the high levels.

SoldnerKei

Hopefully they go the route of 'learn to power shield and punish accordingly' rather than the 'run like crazy and avoid being hit/shielding'.

I am really want to see how this turns out on the long shot, maybe it ends up getting rolled back, maybe it's here to stay.

I just worry that things will end up being more campy in the long run. If shielding becomes more risk than reward and players can punish every other method of defense, the best strategies may end up being campfests as everyone tries for hit confirms and is too afraid to approach each other.

Time will tell though, and I doubt the game will devolve like that.
Luma being able to act while Rosalina is being grabbed, aka the most broken shit to grace this game, has apparently returned. If it's not a mistake and doesn't get fixed soon then

no thanks

wtf man

how do you add that back

that has to be intentional

Thulius

On one hand, needing to powershield to get significant punishes is an interesting change that opens the door to jump in mixups like empty jump jab, late bowser bombs and other things that would otherwise just lose to someone sitting in shield.

On the other hand, I don't think I ever want to play this game online again.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Hopefully they go the route of 'learn to power shield and punish accordingly' rather than the 'run like crazy and avoid being hit/shielding'.

I am really want to see how this turns out on the long shot, maybe it ends up getting rolled back, maybe it's here to stay.
It's how Melee and 64 worked. Nobody would argue those games are campfests.

edit: the shieldstun is actually bigger than it was in Melee now: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...shield_stun_andor_shield_hit_lag_have/cvjdzsn

It's how Melee and 64 worked. Nobody would argue those games are campfests.

edit: the shieldstun is actually bigger than it was in Melee now: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...shield_stun_andor_shield_hit_lag_have/cvjdzsn

The issue with that logic is that offense in 64 was ridiculously strong, even more than in Melee, and there were only two defensive options: shielding and rolling.

Melee had so many movement techniques and options out of shield, plus varying shield strengths and air dodges put you in helpless so defense was still unfavorable when you faced a Fox that could multishine your shield to poke you or just go for a grab.

Sm4sh has limited shield options, and offense already wasn't as strong as in previous games. I would've preferred increased shield damage and lessened shield recovery when it's down, but that's me. It's really hard to predict what's gonna happen with Sm4sh, and honestly I don't know where the game is headed at this point. All we can do is wait and see.

Beats

Well there's The Big House 5 tournament this weekend, so we'll get to see how people will adapt to the new change pretty soon.

Blizzard

Banned
Luma being able to act while Rosalina is being grabbed, aka the most broken shit to grace this game, has apparently returned. If it's not a mistake and doesn't get fixed soon then

no thanks
I thought that was a cool feature of Rosalina -- it makes her unique from most other characters.

I'm awful with Rosalina anyway, especially in free-for-all, so I need all the help I can get. =P

Tournaments pretty much use the patch that was current while the event was being planned.

I thought that was a cool feature of Rosalina -- it makes her unique from most other characters.

I'm awful with Rosalina anyway, especially in free-for-all, so I need all the help I can get. =P

She's already unique by having Luma. Greninja being able to cancel moves with Shadow Sneak was a cool and unique feature and that didn't stop them from removing it. Twice.

Top Bottom