• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

J@hranimo

Banned
So it's pretty weird that with the down throw nerf I actually will start learning Luigi since I played him in all other Smash games. I just hope he's less brain dead now since cause seeing all the simple dumb stuff he could do deterred me from wanting to use him...

Pappasman

I don't play S4 but I'm interested to see how comp play changes with this.
64 is actually a fairly defensive game lol, the cost of messing up once is so high that players sit back a lot

I think it's commonly seen as more aggressive because of the insane amount of hitstun allows a strong punish to be an easy 0-death all the time. It can be defensive but when the hit happens it's aggro as all hell.

Very torn on Super Mario Maker. On one hand, the walkoff layouts are pretty much universally bad, and seem to be about half of the total. On the other, the non-walkoffs seem to be pretty good from what I've seen!

The weird parallax in the NSMBU version is... very borked looking, though.

ffdgh

Well the whole shield stun change has made this update much more interesting and hilarious. Sakurai you devious.
KuGsj.gif

Beats

So, I was thinking of setting up a Discord server for Smash 4 Gaf. It's basically a text and/or voice chat client. I've been using it with some people in the Monster Hunter 4 OT since the text options are just preset messages during online hunts and inside the lobby it's a bit limited and clunky to type things on the 3ds. It's been working pretty well so far. I was wondering if people here would be interested in using it for Smash 4? :x

It works in your browser, but there's a desktop and phone app too.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
So, I was thinking of setting up a Discord server for Smash 4 Gaf. It's basically a text and/or voice chat client. I've been using it with some people in the Monster Hunter 4 OT since the text options are just preset messages during online hunts and inside the lobby it's a bit limited and clunky to type things on the 3ds. It's been working pretty well so far. I was wondering if people here would be interested in using it for Smash 4? :x

It works in your browser, but there's a desktop and phone app too.

I already had it set up few weeks ago.

Edited: but I have a question for everyone here including you. What's wrong with IRC?

I already had it set up few weeks ago.

Edited: but I have a question for everyone here including you. What's wrong with IRC?

Most of the time I just forget the IRC even exists, and it feels like barely anybody here is using it. :(

I did remember using it when I played Poltergust. That was a strange experience, reminded me of my days playing Melee netplay prior to smashladder being a thing.

Except with a lot less salt and !mm.

Edit: Oh hey it's Puruzi. At least you're not b&.

You and everyone else go buy Arcana Heart.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Most of the time I just forget the IRC even exists, and it feels like barely anybody here is using it. :(

I did remember using it when I played Poltergust. That was a strange experience, reminded me of my days playing Melee netplay prior to smashladder being a thing.

Except with a lot less salt

That's true. It's just me, snacks, spino and very few members here that are in irc chat almost regularly.

Oh wow...I gotta start using Shulk more often again

Make it not $30 first

Puruzi

Banned

I have it on Vita already.

That's true. It's just me, snacks, spino and very few members here that are in irc chat almost regularly.
I guess I can drop by every-so-often, but yeah the chat is practically invisible.

Plus I worry about how Snacks stays sane without online play.
Make it not $30 first

7HTiyWw.png

:^)

Edit: I traveled forward in time and found a replay of Evo 2016 grand finals. Seems to be Namikaze versus Reggie. I could only capture so much before I was sent back in time.

Beats

I haven't really used it all that much, but I think it's fine for the most part. The only problem for me is the UI doesn't scale to my phone's screen and that's what I usually use if I need to message people when in game since my computer is in another room. Makes it harder to chat and see the chat.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I guess I can drop by every-so-often, but yeah the chat is practically invisible.

Plus I worry about how Snacks stays sane without online play.

Well, you probably came in at wrong time. It's very active during afternoon and night time, depend on people's time zone.

I haven't really used it all that much, but I think it's fine for the most part. The only problem for me is the UI doesn't scale to my phone's screen and that's what I usually use if I need to message people when in game since my computer is in another room. Makes it harder to chat and see the chat.

Fair enough. I always found Phone IRC app very annoying and I rarely used it.

I haven't been on IRC regularly in months. I keep forgetting it's a thing.

Beef pls.

Puruzi

Banned
I'm away from home until December and the place i'm at has horrifically shitty internet. I knew it would be bad so I just left my Wii U home.

RomanceDawn

When you shielded a move before, you were able to almost immediately perform another action. This made shielding very safe, and it was not uncommon to see players wait for a bait to perform a grab into whatever (think Hoo Has). What they did now is that you are stucking into shielding after you get hit for a little longer, like it was in Melee and 64. This encourages people to try to break your shield or poke you through it as it gets smaller. It's a huge change in how Smash 4 is played at the high levels.

Thank you! I'm so excited to try these changes! By the time I get a chance though we could be through at least 5 more patches. Maybe Christmas I'll get to play. All I can do now is read the forums and live Smash through the various comments here.

Oidisco

Been playing on FG for a few hours and haven't really felt much of a difference with the shields. I expected it to be really noticeable, but I don't think it will be too important in more casual play. It'll be huge competitvely though

This patch tilted my fg ddd matchup so much in my favor when I play.

Can actually punish a camping ddd so much harder now since so many just spam Gordo then shield grab.

MrPanic

So, how's the Mario Maker stage? Is it as infinite as they advertised or are there only like ten layouts that happen? I might be interested in buying that stage if it's very varied.

Beats

Hmm, so Aura Sphere locking people down in shield is actually escapable. You just rapidly tap your stick in the opposite direction while in shield and you'll move out of it slowly. If you're at the edge you tap it towards Lucario to push him and then tap it back the other way to get out.

Might work for escaping Yoshi's Dair too.

Beats

I think the shield change is definitely making me play more aggressive just from playing an hour or so. Less hesitant to throw out moves too.

Oidisco

Sooooo escaping Lucario's aura sphere on the ledge is gonna be pretty much impossible for me because of my wrists. I can't make my hands/fingers move that fast and it hurts way too much, really messes up my neck too...

So whenever I play any of you, be nice and don't use Lucario please.

Top Bottom