• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Cronox

Banned
You mean digital, Namikaze.

Eww no, I don't get trigger-jumping people. Only game I set shoulder buttons to jump for is Halo, where it makes sense.

Plus it's not like jumping is a major part of the characters I play, all I need are spaced bairs and turnaround lasers/pills.

Setting jump to a trigger makes a lot of sense. It makes jump canceling out of shield, reverse aerial rushes and general aerial movement better because the thumb doesn't have to come off the c-stick or A/B buttons to jump. I'd say jumping is a major part of the game...

Setting jump to a trigger makes a lot of sense. It makes jump canceling out of shield, reverse aerial rushes and general aerial movement better because the thumb doesn't have to come off the c-stick or A/B buttons to jump. I'd say jumping is a major part of the game...

Yeah, I was tired when I typed that. Still tired. I meant what the Pro controller has.
I tried having L as jump on my GC controller, but it feels so weird to SH.

I mean, it works if you don't claw.

I claw though, so my thumb doesn't leave my attack buttons anyhow. Even in Melee I claw. Basically, my index finger rests on Y or X, freeing my thumbs for other things. I can shield and then jump-cancel into up-B with no problem. :)

I am amazed how I don't have any sort of hand injury beyond a bit of soreness after a few days straight of smashing.

Cronox

Banned
Yeah, I was tired when I typed that. Still tired. I meant what the Pro controller has.
I tried having L as jump on my GC controller, but it feels so weird to SH.

GC controller triggers don't work at all. Hori battle pad all the way.

I mean, it works if you don't claw.

I claw though, so my thumb doesn't leave my attack buttons anyhow. Even in Melee I claw. Basically, my index finger rests on Y or X, freeing my thumbs for other things. I can shield and then jump-cancel into up-B with no problem. :)

I am amazed how I don't have any sort of hand injury beyond a bit of soreness after a few days straight of smashing.

Yeah I'm too old for claw stuff, my left thumb has been mildly hurting for months now for some reason. I'm old enough for things to just keep hurting forever now, gotta watch myself.

I'm going to try and put a lot more time into this starting with deciding on a main and learning some advanced things.

The way I see it, you either play a dumb top tier or a smart top tier, or you just play Bowser and have fun.

Veal

Is there a wired pad for Wii U like the classic controller pro? I can't go back to the GameCube pad after getting used to using the current layout.

Is there a wired pad for Wii U like the classic controller pro? I can't go back to the GameCube pad after getting used to using the current layout.
Not as far as I know, no. Only wired option is the GameCube pad :(
Is dash dancing / trotting crucial for advanced gameplay. I don't think my left thumb can move fast enough to do it.
It's not necessary for advanced play. It could be helpful for certain characters but it's definitely not a needed thing to learn and you can do fine without it.

Cronox

Banned

Only other option is to open up a pro controller, remove the battery, and plug it in through USB. Do that and it becomes a wired controller.

JulianImp

Only other option is to open up a pro controller, remove the battery, and plug it in through USB. Do that and it becomes a wired controller.

While I don't normally do it, you can keep your Pro Controller plugged in through USB all the time, turning it into a makeshift "wired" controller. Of course it will continue sending input data wirelessly though, so I guess that might result in a slightly higher input delay compared to a wired controller.

Cronox

Banned
While I don't normally do it, you can keep your Pro Controller plugged in through USB all the time, turning it into a makeshift "wired" controller. Of course it will continue sending input data wirelessly though, so I guess that might result in a slightly higher input delay compared to a wired controller.

Taking the battery out supposedly forces the controller to send data over the wire. Too bad I dislike that controller too, the face buttons are too damn low and put my right thumb at a very awkward angle.

Luckily the TO changed the wireless rule for the tournament, so I'm still going on Saturday.

For the sake of everyone else just be sure to not be the guy that has their wireless controller turn on in their backpack and delay the matches because now they can't get past the character select and nobody has any idea whose controller it is :|

Vena

For the sake of everyone else just be sure to not be the guy that has their wireless controller turn on in their backpack and delay the matches because now they can't get past the character select and nobody has any idea whose controller it is :|

Or the guy who accidentally started playing with the Gamepad because he didn't realize it was part of the console... and then hit the power button.

lmao I did that like three times at my uni's tourny.

which I won

I'm cool

Cronox

Banned

Ha no I take a battery out of my wiimote when I'm not playing, no worries. Though I'm still unclear on how people activating their controllers during a match would make anything happen. If someone plugs in their controller during a 2 player match does Smash 4 do some kind of "new challenger approaching" thing?

On an unrelated note, I still want to figure out the secret tech people use to quit out of for glory matches more quickly than I can get out of the results screen... I can't believe that people are just turning their console off or something, it has to be better than that.

Ha no I take a battery out of my wiimote when I'm not playing, no worries. Though I'm still unclear on how people activating their controllers during a match would make anything happen. If someone plugs in their controller during a 2 player match does Smash 4 do some kind of "new challenger approaching" thing?

On an unrelated note, I still want to figure out the secret tech people use to quit out of for glory matches more quickly than I can get out of the results screen... I can't believe that people are just turning their console off or something, it has to be better than that.
Regarding the first point, nothing happens to interrupt the game. The controller only gets recognized when you return to the menu.

On the second point, I like to think they leapt to their systems and hit the power button in rage lol.

Yeah it's not an issue of getting interrupted midmatch (at least not in Smash specifically). The issue is the controller becoming an active player while in the character select, and then because it's not really moving from its spot you CAN'T remove it as a player and the actual people playing can't move on to the stage select. Even if you back out and then go back to Smash mode it'll still be active.

Honestly, I understand people not liking tournaments banning wireless controllers, but it's not done without good reason.

Vena

Another good smash night with Ike and Roy, for me. We've also got Smashbash coming up in two weeks which will be fun!

That said, so many people at our scene don't have WiiUs, lol, but all want one but can't afford it... and seemingly everyone knows about the NX. We had this long ass convo where everyone was bummed on this gen saying that none of them have games as if I had stumbled into a GAF thread. Trololol.

Cronox

Banned
Another good smash night with Ike and Roy, for me. We've also got Smashbash coming up in two weeks which will be fun!

That said, so many people at our scene don't have WiiUs, lol, but all want one but can't afford it... and seemingly everyone knows about the NX. We had this long ass convo where everyone was bummed on this gen saying that none of them have games as if I had stumbled into a GAF thread. Trololol.

Just the Wii U by itself has at least 10 exclusive games worth owning. Not that I would personally know though, since I just play Smash...

That's good. It's pretty tough to downsize to only few characters to main with. I had hard time for awhile for secondary for awhile.

Hmm. I wonder, am I in the minority in that deciding which characters to focus on is easy? I just play the characters I personally love/have an affinity for and stick with them... I guess I basically force myself to get good with them.

My being a Mega Man main was a foregone conclusion the second he was announced. It didn't matter how he actually played... that's just how it was going to be, because he's Mega Man. Playing Smash 4 and not maining him was never an option for me. :p

Lord knows the going was pretty rough for awhile since I had to pretty much re-learn the fundamentals and he's an advanced character to begin with, but still, there was never any choice for me because I love the character.

Same with my secondaries. Shulk? Love the guy, I'm learning him. Pit? Kid Icarus Uprising is pretty much my favorite handheld game of this generation, I'm playing him. Ness? I love EarthBound and he's awesome in this game, it's a done deal. Kirby? He's my favorite Nintendo character of all time, I'll keep playing him even if I suck ass with him in this game (RiP my Brawl main).

That said, there are characters I've managed to get pretty decent with by accident. I didn't set out to learn Duck Hunt or Roy because I don't have a personal affinity for those characters, but I find them a lot of fun to use and I've done pretty all right with them, so I've stuck with 'em. I guess they would be the exceptions!

But yeah - my mains have always found me rather than the other way around. I just can't enjoy Smash if I try to force myself to main a character I don't care about outside of Smash. I'm never going to be a Wario main, that's for sure. :p

captain rage quit: I need to learn the doc MU
shamrock: I need to learn the Ness MU

help me to get better pls :D
Forgot to respond to this earlier, but yeah I could help with that. Maybe not until the weekend or next week, but I can definitely make time. :)
http://www.twitch.tv/pressstartlv/v/20878818

Here's a Vegas tournament that my little brother went to. 2:04:15 is a match is McButt (my brother) vs Lycan (#3 in their PR).

Pretty sure this is the first Wario ditto I've ever seen.

I heard Wario was the jankmaster, so a Wario ditto should be exciting.

Wah

Cronox

Banned
Got some practice in tonight on Smash Ladder (I'm going to stop calling it Anther's), feeling ok about the tournament tomorrow at the moment. Will hope for the best. Going to spend some time now playing against CPUs just to get used to offline play.

Oidisco

Was doing so well in FG. Something like 20+ win streak.

Then I lose the streak to a Zelda ditto.

Zelda dittos are just awkward. Zelda's few setups and combos don't work very well, her projectiles (which are already pretty bad) are almost useless and approaching the other Zelda can be really tough if they know what they're doing.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Hmm. I wonder, am I in the minority in that deciding which characters to focus on is easy? I just play the characters I personally love/have an affinity for and stick with them... I guess I basically force myself to get good with them.

My being a Mega Man main was a foregone conclusion the second he was announced. It didn't matter how he actually played... that's just how it was going to be, because he's Mega Man. Playing Smash 4 and not maining him was never an option for me. :p

Lord knows the going was pretty rough for awhile since I had to pretty much re-learn the fundamentals and he's an advanced character to begin with, but still, there was never any choice for me because I love the character.

Same with my secondaries. Shulk? Love the guy, I'm learning him. Pit? Kid Icarus Uprising is pretty much my favorite handheld game of this generation, I'm playing him. Ness? I love EarthBound and he's awesome in this game, it's a done deal. Kirby? He's my favorite Nintendo character of all time, I'll keep playing him even if I suck ass with him in this game (RiP my Brawl main).

That said, there are characters I've managed to get pretty decent with by accident. I didn't set out to learn Duck Hunt or Roy because I don't have a personal affinity for those characters, but I find them a lot of fun to use and I've done pretty all right with them, so I've stuck with 'em. I guess they would be the exceptions!

But yeah - my mains have always found me rather than the other way around. I just can't enjoy Smash if I try to force myself to main a character I don't care about outside of Smash. I'm never going to be a Wario main, that's for sure. :p

It was pretty quick for me to decide that Duck Hunt to become my main easily due to my affinity to the franchise and animals. Also his moveset is pretty much perfect to me as well.

For Secondary characters, it's something that I would use to counter in case. There are many characters that I wanted (newcomers) and used to main (veterans) that got in Smash Bros 4 which made it more difficult for me due to affinity and gameplay strengths so sometime I have to decide what would be best for my situation. I meant I love to play like 80%-90% of the cast in Smash 4. So it was tough for me to dwindle the list down to like only 5-8 characters that I need to get good with.

Sometimes people on For Glory are ridiculous... Had this guy named Mentalix come into a match, and I managed to beat his Link with my Yoshi. Hard fought match, but managed to pull it off. Next match begins and he's still Link and I switch to R.O.B. I can tell he was salty because after the first KO he started taunting. This time I lost. the match No big deal, I'll give it another shot. While we're in the select screen he starts changing his name to "Eat Shit" and "F****t." I just left because I had family in the room, otherwise I might have pulled back out my Yoshi and gone after him.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Zelda dittos are just awkward. Zelda's few setups and combos don't work very well, her projectiles (which are already pretty bad) are almost useless and approaching the other Zelda can be really tough if they know what they're doing.

Zelda dittos are 80% read, 19% skill, 1% luck. Most of the time you're landing single moves and hoping you picked the right move for the right time.

Cronox

Banned
It's easy to choose a main if you're not concerned with winning tournaments, if you are and don't like the top tier characters it gets harder. That's not me though, I'm stuck on Bowser.

In other news, would have made it out of my pool but ended up getting sent to losers by a good Game & Watch, then got eliminated by the same G&W in losers. Basically just didn't know how to play the matchup or how to get out of throws. Pretty much what I expected... Either if run into a power ranked player or run into a matchup I was unfamiliar with. And because my region has 2 good Bowsers he knew exactly what to do. At least there's plenty of setups for friendlies, I'll get as much as I can out of that.

Sometimes people on For Glory are ridiculous... Had this guy named Mentalix come into a match, and I managed to beat his Link with my Yoshi. Hard fought match, but managed to pull it off. Next match begins and he's still Link and I switch to R.O.B. I can tell he was salty because after the first KO he started taunting. This time I lost. the match No big deal, I'll give it another shot. While we're in the select screen he starts changing his name to "Eat Shit" and "F****t." I just left because I had family in the room, otherwise I might have pulled back out my Yoshi and gone after him.

Absolutely ridiculous.

That's nothing. One time, I got a guy with the tag "Good as Hax" and kept beating him. After around 4 matches he called me a spammer, (Playing as Ganondorf and Bowser mind you) and I replied with "pls" and "No Johns". After the 5th match he then told me to go fuck off and kill myself. I had a laugh.

GGs earlier Shamrock. Not sure why you left so suddenly. I felt like my Mewtwo was doing better than ever against your Lucas.

Since someone asked: this patch is AMAZING. I have complained about shieldstun since launch, and I feel completely vindicated. The game is just so much more aggressive now, and the weaker shields mean Mewtwo has an easy time breaking shields now. Fair and Nair are now unblockable after the opponent blocks a charged Shadow Ball. WOW. That is huge!

I am excited to see the results of the first major after this patch. This is a good direction for the game to go in. Now we just need crouch canceled dashes and dash dancing, and the game will be pretty much perfect outside of individual character issues.

It's easy to choose a main if you're not concerned with winning tournaments, if you are and don't like the top tier characters it gets harder. That's not me though, I'm stuck on Bowser.

In other news, would have made it out of my pool but ended up getting sent to losers by a good Game & Watch, then got eliminated by the same G&W in losers. Basically just didn't know how to play the matchup or how to get out of throws. Pretty much what I expected... Either if run into a power ranked player or run into a matchup I was unfamiliar with. And because my region has 2 good Bowsers he knew exactly what to do. At least there's plenty of setups for friendlies, I'll get as much as I can out of that.
I have some G&W skills if you want practice. We should play again soon anyway.

Cronox

Banned
Since someone asked: this patch is AMAZING. I have complained about shieldstun since launch, and I feel completely vindicated. The game is just so much more aggressive now, and the weaker shields mean Mewtwo has an easy time breaking shields now. Fair and Nair are now unblockable after the opponent blocks a charged Shadow Ball. WOW. That is huge!

I am excited to see the results of the first major after this patch. This is a good direction for the game to go in. Now we just need crouch canceled dashes and dash dancing, and the game will be pretty much perfect outside of individual character issues.

I have some G&W skills if you want practice. We should play again soon anyway.

Well MLG is going now but has poor production and no video on demand until they put it to Youtube...

I played friendlies with that G&W later, probably 8 or so matches while he drunkenly gave me pointers on how to play the matchup. Basically, Bowser can never land on top of G&W ever in any circumstances (invincibility on usmash is frame 4, beats everything), usmash can't be punished except off a perfect shield, don't challenge G&W offstage, hold shield until completely sure his bair is completed, use jabs, play spacing better, either air dodge immediately out of dthrow if they go for an aerial followup or attempt to jump away and air dodge at the same time (basically a 50:50, G&W has ridiculous throw combos). Bowser has the better neutral but G&W has better punishes and followups. Still a rough time, but I think I can do alright in the matchup now.

Yeah I'm around to play sometime. Welcome back!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Taking the battery out supposedly forces the controller to send data over the wire.

Nope. Even without a battery in the Pro Controller, it sends all of its inputs wirelessly. Even if you plug it into a second Wii U via USB, it will remain synced to the previous console it was used on until you manually sync it again.

The Nintendo 3DS is the only wireless controller that can be used without running the risk of wireless fuckery.

Cronox

Banned
Nope. Even without a battery in the Pro Controller, it sends all of its inputs wirelessly. Even if you plug it into a second Wii U via USB, it will remain synced to the previous console it was used on until you manually sync it again.

The Nintendo 3DS is the only wireless controller that can be used without running the risk of wireless fuckery.

Yeah that's what I saw from further reading. Taking the battery out of a pro controller still has its uses for a tournament environment, where it ensure the controller will be off as soon as it's unplugged, but it's not sending data. There was supposedly a small operation intending to make wired gamecube-like controllers for Wii U (see the comments for the claim that they would make a wired version). Hasn't been news from them since that post though.

Edit: There was an article about it.

Well MLG is going now but has poor production and no video on demand until they put it to Youtube...

I played friendlies with that G&W later, probably 8 or so matches while he drunkenly gave me pointers on how to play the matchup. Basically, Bowser can never land on top of G&W ever in any circumstances (invincibility on usmash is frame 4, beats everything), usmash can't be punished except off a perfect shield, don't challenge G&W offstage, hold shield until completely sure his bair is completed, use jabs, play spacing better, either air dodge immediately out of dthrow if they go for an aerial followup or attempt to jump away and air dodge at the same time (basically a 50:50, G&W has ridiculous throw combos). Bowser has the better neutral but G&W has better punishes and followups. Still a rough time, but I think I can do alright in the matchup now.

Yeah I'm around to play sometime. Welcome back!
The only point I disagree with is not landing on G&W. It is kind of like the people that say reflectors and absorbers make Shadow Ball useless. You need to turn the Usmash into a mindgame. Intentionally go to land on him. Right when you would naturally land on him from Usmash, down B. The added startup makes Usmash whiff, and you get the hit. Use sparingly. Use Dair's shockwaves outside of Usmash range to get a little damage in safely if he has a habit of charging Usmash.

I remember when I first started playing, I thought Bowser's Usmash was something special. Goddamn INVINCIBLE! Then I learned that like...a fourth of the cast had this.

Karst is back yay :D

He likes the new patch yay :D

I'm not asleep yet yay :D
Yaaaay!

God I wish this game had communities.

Also, Jigglypuff is so much better in this patch. Probably still bad in general, but better. Ike is a monster now. Also, that Luigi nerf is great. I got a kick out of the Yoshi mains complaining that their easymode top tier secondary character got a nerf. I sure won't miss Luigi KOing Mewtwo off of a grab at 70%!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
ScAtt, Reflex, and Fatality are 3 of our local regulars in Georgia. Cool to see them all make it this far in the bracket.

The only reason that ScAtt doesn't make it out to many big tournaments is because he's strictly a Remote+Nunchuck player and most tournaments ban those controllers.

I don't have much of a problem with Wii remote controllers, given you can easily remove the batteries from those. I just wish the pro controller wasn't designed the way it is, makes the whole thing a big hassle.

Top Bottom