• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

I just 2-stocked a scrubby Sheik on For Glory with Mega Man, and they changed their name to "MEGASHHT." I had to think about that one for a minute, and then I realized it was probably a typo for "MEGASHIT."

Stupid kids and teens on FG are so amusing.

TWILT

Banned
I just 2-stocked a scrubby Sheik on For Glory with Mega Man, and they changed their name to "MEGASHHT." I had to think about that one for a minute, and then I realized it was probably a typo for "MEGASHIT."

Stupid kids and teens on FG are so amusing.

I two-stocked this Ryu in FG with Robin earlier today and they change their tag to, "NO SKILL" before rage leaving.

and I'm like bruh

The salt I get on FG is beautiful sometimes, especially when the opponent is using a high tier and i destroy them with my Zelda.

Just cause you're high tier doesn't mean you automatically beat low tiers

I two-stocked this Ryu in FG with Robin earlier today and they change their tag to, "NO SKILL" before rage leaving.

and I'm like bruh

Haha, yeah. I'll never understand the mentality that allows someone to believe the person who just kicked their ass has no skill. It's an inability to cope with losing/failure, I guess.

The salt I get on FG is beautiful sometimes, especially when the opponent is using a high tier and i destroy them with my Zelda.

Just cause you're high tier doesn't mean you automatically beat low tiers

Yeah, it's incredible how many people on FG obviously believe high-tier characters = automatic wins. At this point I consider it a blessing when I get to play against people who aren't Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, Captain Falcon, Sonic, or Rosalina, though of course it's always fun demolishing tier whores. Of course, it goes the other way too - I recently lost to an excellent Samus on FG and I had nothing but mad respect for them. I love having the opportunity to play people who main low-tier characters, and it's even better when they're great with them.

Toxi

Banned
So I just looked at the changelog for patch 1.11 and saw Samus's nair got the hell buffed out of it. Guess it's time to get back into online matches.

Also, everything is now about shield pressure. Huh.

Good games Nami! Feels good to get back into it after awhile.

I like some of the new stuff you were doing with Yoshi, like using the super armor of down b to break out of some air combos.

Thanks for playing, fun as always!

Good games Nami! Feels good to get back into it after awhile.

I like some of the new stuff you were doing with Yoshi, like using the super armor of down b to break out of some air combos.

Thanks for playing, fun as always!

Good games, too. It was nice to play you again. It has been a really long time.

Down-B doesn't have super armour, but I can mash it out fast enough out of certain throws and combos to beat the follow-up. I have been using utilt a lot more lately, but I wasn't able to do that against you as I can't really get that close.

That last egg kill was revenge for the KO punch :).

Neki

Oh, this is a stream where a fellow Doc main is playing. 2ManyCooks, have you seen him Neki? Heard he made it into top 8 in losers because of M2K, he's got a great Doc and Pac-Man. :)

He's on stream now and picking Doc

Yeah he's number four on our PR, me and him go back and forth in bracket and friendlies, really good guy

Tipster's back yayyyyy :D

Yeah he's number four on our PR, me and him go back and forth in bracket and friendlies, really good guy

Neat! I've only been able to beat his Doc with Ike, I maintain that's one matchup Ike can win. :) His Pac's solid too. Hope to see more of him and you!

Edit: I got bored and found one of Nabster's matches is a certified "set of the week." Watch it here!

Youtube comments have me wondering though, is Nabil really your name? (A simple yes or no will suffice :3)

Cronox

Banned
I'm going to a tournament on Saturday for the first time since probably April, but I'm afraid I won't get far. It takes probably an hour or more of play before I adjust to playing offline, so I'll be uncomfortable controls-wise, and I'll be fighting top tier characters the like of which I very rarely meet on for glory. I so rarely find good Metaknights, ZSS, Sheiks etc that it's just a matter of time until I end up fighting one and some matchup inexperience shines through. Or I'll come across a mid or low tier hero and die because I'll have never encountered a good version of that character. Like, an Olimar or something. Anyway, I should have the GAF tag just in case I end up on stream. I mostly just want to play friendlies...

Griss

Damn, I've been away from my Wii U since last December so this game seems so fresh to me. Feels like it was released last month, I nearly fell off my seat when I realised it's more than a year old. It looks so goddamn clean, visually. Sadly I only have 3 days with it, lol.

So I checked the store, and apparently there's DLC out the ass since I last played, and the OP confirms it. Some nice stuff. But it's quite confusing to know what's included in what bundles and if there's overlap etc and particularly what you save on each bundle.

I was wondering if there's a consensus cheapest way to get the characters (I'm assuming the character bundle?), or characters and stages together? I don't really care about the Mii costumes but if they barely cost more when bundled in then I guess I'd go for them. Is there anywhere to buy cheaper download codes for the DLC online? I'm not asking anyone to go research it for me but I imagine it comes up in this thread quite a bit and there would be people who've done exactly what I'm looking for who can answer off-hand. I'm on Wii U only, US store, by the way.

Man, though, the DLC is pricey. The characters I can kind of understand, the stages less so, the Mii costumes even less so. Can't say I like it, but at the same time I'm glad to see Lucas back. The truth is the base game is probably worth a lot more than 60 dollars which is why, in this case, I'll buy into it.

Now if they'd only sell us some decent single player modes...

EDIT: Okay, I went and looked it up and did the maths... the bundles in this game are bullshit. You only save 4 cents for buying all 4 characters together. Someone tell me I've got this wrong? It can't be right.

I'm guessing the consensus is to buy a la carte if you don't want everything, then.

Crayolan

Bundles are there more for convenience and less for saving money. Only buy the bundles if you want absolutely everything, otherwise just pick things out 1 by 1.

JulianImp

I'm going to a tournament on Saturday for the first time since probably April, but I'm afraid I won't get far. It takes probably an hour or more of play before I adjust to playing offline, so I'll be uncomfortable controls-wise, and I'll be fighting top tier characters the like of which I very rarely meet on for glory. I so rarely find good Metaknights, ZSS, Sheiks etc that it's just a matter of time until I end up fighting one and some matchup inexperience shines through. Or I'll come across a mid or low tier hero and die because I'll have never encountered a good version of that character. Like, an Olimar or something. Anyway, I should have the GAF tag just in case I end up on stream. I mostly just want to play friendlies...

Good luck! I remember having had lots of trouble playing against you, but that was a while ago.

I'll agree that it's hard to come across good top tiers online. The one time I played in a local tournament I was mostly matched-up against non-top tiers (a ROB, a Ness, a Ganon and a Falco's all I remember) wich weren't particularily awesome, so I'm scared to think what'd happen if I'd come across a decent Sheik or other top-tier character, but that's not going to happen too often online (and no more local tourneys for me after the fiasco that was the one I went to).

Have only played once (and it was just three or four games) on FG since the patch hit, but I might end up playing next weekend or something just to see how the latest changes to the defensive mechanics have changed things. I'm still waiting for them Pac-Man buffs, though...

JulianImp

Yeah, altho it makes the WiiU/3DS downloads pretty annoying with each thing having its own code =.=

Which is even weirder given that eShop balance is shared between both consoles. Why couldn't they just have a cross-purchase on a given system enable the content on your eShop account on the other console rather than give you a second code you have to input manually to get the DLC?

Cronox

Banned
Good luck! I remember having had lots of trouble playing against you, but that was a while ago.

I'll agree that it's hard to come across good top tiers online. The one time I played in a local tournament I was mostly matched-up against non-top tiers (a ROB, a Ness, a Ganon and a Falco's all I remember) wich weren't particularily awesome, so I'm scared to think what'd happen if I'd come across a decent Sheik or other top-tier character, but that's not going to happen too often online (and no more local tourneys for me after the fiasco that was the one I went to).

Have only played once (and it was just three or four games) on FG since the patch hit, but I might end up playing next weekend or something just to see how the latest changes to the defensive mechanics have changed things. I'm still waiting for them Pac-Man buffs, though...

It really is difficult to play fast characters like Sheik online. Short hop fast fall fair combos are really difficult to pull off there. If I had people to play with locally I'd probably play Sheik more. Anyway, hopefully I do alright. The last tournament I went to I was knocked out by a Falco, of all things. That's back when customs were on.

I wouldn't hold out too much for Pac-Man... you could always pick up Metaknight or Rosalina like Abadango did though...

Is Ness a good match-up against Bowser?

Very few characters have an unfavorable matchup against Bowser. A good Ness is very difficult for Bowser to deal with.

Boney

Banned
Hey Cronox! You better practice your up b oos and your up smash oos. Throw those out before shiek hits you as she's moving in and abuse the intangibility!

Make good use of that back air of yours and have fun with the guaranteed shield breaks with bowser bombs.

JulianImp

I wouldn't hold out too much for Pac-Man... you could always pick up Metaknight or Rosalina like Abadango did though...

Don't even remind me of that. I searched for abadango videos a couple days ago to see what kind of new wacky tactics he might've come up with since I last saw him, only to see he had forsaken Pac in favor of Meta "60-to-death combos 4life" Knight.

I don't even care if Pac keeps being mid tier... all I'm asking for is that they either make his grab faster or have its hitboxes reflect his grab garphics better (and remove the deadzone at point-blank range while they're at it), and some minor buffs to make dair combo with itself and making utilt either faster or with bigger hitboxes to make it a move I wouldn't be embarassed to throw out instead of just using usmash instead.

Cronox

Banned
Hey Cronox! You better practice your up b oos and your up smash oos. Throw those out before shiek hits you as she's moving in and abuse the intangibility!

Make good use of that back air of yours and have fun with the guaranteed shield breaks with bowser bombs.

Ugh, you know I found out earlier today that the tournament bans wireless controllers, so my Hori battle pad isn't admissible. I just spend an hour playing with the gamecube controller again and it's shit. I hate it. It sucks for shielding (L trigger) and jumping (R trigger). I'm considering dropping out of the tournament altogether. My shield game is completely off with an analog trigger, and jumping isn't great either. Kind of sad, this was going to be my attempt to go out in the world again and play. There is one wired adapter meant to connect a classic controller into a gamecube port here, but the one review that mentions anything technical says there are dropped inputs using it. I'd almost be willing to buy it to give it a try anyway, because playing on the gamecube controller is torturous. But for all I know the TO's wouldn't let me use it anyway. Maybe this is a sign...

Don't even remind me of that. I searched for abadango videos a couple days ago to see what kind of new wacky tactics he might've come up with since I last saw him, only to see he had forsaken Pac in favor of Meta "60-to-death combos 4life" Knight.

I don't even care if Pac keeps being mid tier... all I'm asking for is that they either make his grab faster or have its hitboxes reflect his grab graphics better (and remove the deadzone at point-blank range while they're at it), and some minor buffs to make dair combo with itself and making utilt either faster or with bigger hitboxes to make it a move I wouldn't be embarassed to throw out instead of just using usmash instead.

I mean, Meta Knight makes a pretty compelling argument...

Hitbox fixes are hard to come by, I'd love some for Bowser myself. May we all be satisfied before they stop patching the game...

Boney

Banned
Ugh, you know I found out earlier today that the tournament bans wireless controllers, so my Hori battle pad isn't admissible. I just spend an hour playing with the gamecube controller again and it's shit. I hate it. It sucks for shielding (L trigger) and jumping (R trigger). I'm considering dropping out of the tournament altogether. My shield game is completely off with an analog trigger, and jumping isn't great either. Kind of sad, this was going to be my attempt to go out in the world again and play. There is one wired adapter meant to connect a classic controller into a gamecube port here, but the one review that mentions anything technical says there are dropped inputs using it. I'd almost be willing to buy it to give it a try anyway, because playing on the gamecube controller is torturous. But for all I know the TO's wouldn't let me use it anyway. Maybe this is a sign...

I mean, Meta Knight makes a pretty compelling argument...

Hitbox fixes are hard to come by, I'd love some for Bowser myself. May we all be satisfied before they stop patching the game...
Oh yeah, when I got my gc adaptor back in august I freakin hated using the gc controller. The triggers are indeed shit and it felt super weird. I adjusted fine but the first major one took a few days while it took weeks to fully settle in. Bummer about that dude :(

And hey bowser did get his up tilt hitbox fixed!

The claw is why you barely play.

I will say that analog triggers would probably be better than what the GC controller has. But the Pro controller's stick feels so weird for Smash.
I would not be surprised if I find out that playing claw is what leads to general hand discomfort for me.

But I need those sweet shorthop bairs to be perfect D:

Just set jumping to a trigger

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Eww no, I don't get trigger-jumping people. Only game I set shoulder buttons to jump for is Halo, where it makes sense.

Plus it's not like jumping is a major part of the characters I play, all I need are spaced bairs and turnaround lasers/pills.

Edit: Holy shit that Federation Force thread is a real shit-show. How did Metroid fans survive during the 64 era, when literally all they had was Samus in Smash 64?

Glad I'm a Kirby fan, the franchise is basically divided between regular Kirby platformers and "let's make some random-ass game, shove Kirby in it and see what happens."

JulianImp

Eww no, I don't get trigger-jumping people. Only game I set shoulder buttons to jump for is Halo, where it makes sense.

Plus it's not like jumping is a major part of the characters I play, all I need are spaced bairs and turnaround lasers/pills.

Edit: Holy shit that Federation Force thread is a real shit-show. How did Metroid fans survive during the 64 era, when literally all they had was Samus in Smash 64?

Glad I'm a Kirby fan, the franchise is basically divided between regular Kirby platformers and "let's make some random-ass game, shove Kirby in it and see what happens."

But then we got Prime and it was great... at least until Retro began "fixing" most exploits that allowed sequence breaks. That was my first Metroid game, actually, but I knew about Samus being female due to her model change in Smash 64 whenever she got hit by an electric attack. I would've thought she was some generic android/robot otherwise. Random Kirby games are good, though. Compared to awesome stuff such as Canvas Curse, all Samus got was like... Prime Pinball (and now Federation Force, ugh).

Despite only having Super Metroid prior to the GCN era Samus got several games after that, but Other M seems to have put her on the same boat as poor old Captain Falcon for the time being.

Back when I was playing Smash 64, I didn't even know where Captain Falcon, Ness and Samus had come from. I remember how my cousins and I were using Ness's up B and watching as the PK Thunder went straight up a couple times until one of us randomly discovered you could actually control the attack yourself.

Top Bottom