• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Cronox

Banned
What I watched of the losers matches were great. Also liked the commentary there, very close to real life sports commentary.

Cronox

Banned
After some matches against the best Ike I've ever played at the tournament last night I refuse to root for Ike anymore. He's a ridiculous character nowadays.

Edit: not that Wario isn't either.

Cronox

Banned
Nairo was just reading Zero's fear of grabs and catching his landing over and over in the last 2 Diddy games. Sheik was a little better but still gadeem.

Edit: given Zero's response to losing onstream and on twitter, I think he's relieved. Since he ran into whatever personal problems he had going he's been losing momentum, and the precedent of his streak was probably becoming a burden. I don't want to say he wanted to lose, but that a few months ago he wouldn't have accepted the loss nearly as well, and there's something to be said that he might have fought harder back then. Of course he wants to take a break now. For his talk of taking breaks, his schedule hasn't really allowed him to. Still #1 in the world, and I look forward to future dominance when he's back.

For those that watched, do you feel like greater shield stun played a major role in the top 8?

ScAtt, Reflex, and Fatality are 3 of our local regulars in Georgia. Cool to see them all make it this far in the bracket.

The only reason that ScAtt doesn't make it out to many big tournaments is because he's strictly a Remote+Nunchuck player and most tournaments ban those controllers.
Does Reflex still use Jiggs a lot?

Cronox

Banned
For those that watched, do you feel like greater shield stun played a major role in the top 8?

It played some role at least. Not against ZSS though, that was all about dthrow uair to up b setups. And one ridiculous down b spike.

Reflex only used Wario in tourney.

Boney

Banned

Sadly I missed the top 8 but I managed to catch losers and grand finals. The game was just so much more mobile, they were constantly jumping ready to throw out aerials and rolling a lot more as well. Defensive game was much more mobile which at the same time leaves them exposed to other stuff.

Offensively, grounded pokes are a lot safer and you can stand your ground throwing out hitboxes instead of getting punished for it. Fun stuff, and Nairo is the king of the new meta so I'm happy.

Shout outs to doc and for glory as well

jnWake

In the matches I saw there was a lot of offense and ZeRo was like the only player who used a lot of shielding (didn't work in the finals...). Not sure if that's because of the patch or just people getting gud but it was cool. Mega Man, for example, had many awesome setups but he was sadly obliterated by Sheik.

Last tourneys got me hyped and I returned to online play after many months. FG still has some pretty bad people playing haha and I managed to win lots despite the rust. Not sure if my internet is good enough for GAF battles though but I guess I can challenge Boney someday haha.

Hey GAF friends, let's say I were to write an article or two on how to help other players improve on abstract concepts like "how to not autopilot" or "what is the mental battle in Smash like?" These abstract concepts are pretty hard to explain, and though some of them come mostly through experience like good spacing, others aren't so simple to grind out. Mainly the autopiloting one.

Okay, so it's mostly the autopiloting one I'm having trouble trying to help others with. People seem to have issues not being conscious in battle, and this is a commonly cited roadblock for players trying to improve. Just how would you guys explain this strange concept and how to battle it and conquer it? :O

Autopiloting requires one to realize they're autopiloting.

Like earlier today in FG I realized I was being punished for a lot of teleports just cause I turned off my brain. Recognizing you're autopiloting and why is the biggest step to improvement. After that match I pretty much turned off the autopilot because I've been mentally telling myself to switch it up.

Best way to get off the autopilot curse is to look at videos where you get absolutely destroyed and figure out why you got destroyed. Check if you are getting punished for the same thing repeatedly. Get someone else to see if you're doing something repeatedly that leads to being punished. Turning off autopilot is when you also turn off the whole "I lost because of character tiers." or "I lost due to lag (when there really wasn't any lag)". Autopilot happens way more than people think.

Soul Lab

Autopiloting requires one to realize they're autopiloting.

Like earlier today in FG I realized I was being punished for a lot of teleports just cause I turned off my brain. Recognizing you're autopiloting and why is the biggest step to improvement. After that match I pretty much turned off the autopilot because I've been mentally telling myself to switch it up.

Best way to get off the autopilot curse is to look at videos where you get absolutely destroyed and figure out why you got destroyed. Check if you are getting punished for the same thing repeatedly. Get someone else to see if you're doing something repeatedly that leads to being punished. Turning off autopilot is when you also turn off the whole "I lost because of character tiers." or "I lost due to lag (when there really wasn't any lag)". Autopilot happens way more than people think.

So is autopiloting doing the same stuff over and over again? like bad habits?

So is autopiloting doing the same stuff over and over again? like bad habits?

Not just that. But to be exact, acting without thinking or even why. Habits are the easiest sign of autopilot, but others forms of autopilot is like not even looking at what your opponent is doing. You're attacking and changing things up but you're just doing it on action/instinct and not based on a plan or a reaction. Another form of autopilot is going in with an assumption. Just cause you know/understand a matchup really well doesn't mean you can just play and get a win. Surprises do happen and if you're not watching and just playing with the brain off some random surprise will get you. The assumption itself leads to the act of autopiloting.

It's hard to explain what autopilot truly is, but the closest is when your brain is off and you're just playing and not knowing why. If you can play a match and not remember many if any details about it you're on autopilot

Hey GAF friends, let's say I were to write an article or two on how to help other players improve on abstract concepts like "how to not autopilot" or "what is the mental battle in Smash like?" These abstract concepts are pretty hard to explain, and though some of them come mostly through experience like good spacing, others aren't so simple to grind out. Mainly the autopiloting one.

Okay, so it's mostly the autopiloting one I'm having trouble trying to help others with. People seem to have issues not being conscious in battle, and this is a commonly cited roadblock for players trying to improve. Just how would you guys explain this strange concept and how to battle it and conquer it? :O
Autopiloting occurs any time you aren't actively analyzing your opponent's habits and thinking about how to counter them.

Soul Lab

Not just that. But to be exact, acting without thinking or even why. Habits are the easiest sign of autopilot, but others forms of autopilot is like not even looking at what your opponent is doing. You're attacking and changing things up but you're just doing it on action/instinct and not based on a plan or a reaction. Another form of autopilot is going in with an assumption. Just cause you know/understand a matchup really well doesn't mean you can just play and get a win. Surprises do happen and if you're not watching and just playing with the brain off some random surprise will get you. The assumption itself leads to the act of autopiloting.

It's hard to explain what autopilot truly is, but the closest is when your brain is off and you're just playing and not knowing why. If you can play a match and not remember many if any details about it you're on autopilot

got it. thx

btw. Is there a recording of the mlg smash event?

I'm really glad Nairo used Doc against Esam, so many people still think he's low tier when he's as solid as any mid-tier at minimum. =)

Also glad to see Ike mains on the rise, he's getting respect now for sure.

After some matches against the best Ike I've ever played at the tournament last night I refuse to root for Ike anymore. He's a ridiculous character nowadays.

Edit: not that Wario isn't either.
What happened to Ike lately? Past three days on FG I've run into two different Ike's and have had more difficulty fighting them than I can remember. Has he gotten a buff somewhere?

Boney

Banned
What happened to Ike lately? Past three days on FG I've run into two different Ike's and have had more difficulty fighting them than I can remember. Has he gotten a buff somewhere?
Got a huge buff in the Mewtwo patch, a Alright buff on the ryu patch and the shield beef last patch really help him as eell

He has gotten buffs consistently, and the shieldstun change is AMAZING for him. People aren't really talking about this, but the shieldstun change is mostly a buff for heavy characters. They do more damage per swing, so their hits now have heavy shieldstun. Ike's Nair is now heavy advantage on block, for example. Meanwhile, the light shieldstun like Sheik aren't all that different.

The old formula was damage/2.56, so a 13% attack (isn't Ike's Nair 13%?) did 5.1 frames of shieldstun.

Now, the formula is damage/1.75+2, which means a 13% attack does 9.4 frames of shieldstun. It's almost doubled. That's a huge change for someone like him.

Meanwhile, a 6% attack would have done 2.3 frames of shieldstun pre-patch, and now it does 5.4 shieldstun. You can still pretty much OoS punish a 5.4 frame attack because you recover as they land, but 9.4 frames gives you enough time to start up a follow-up attack.

As people explore these changes, this game is going to become so much more aggressive. I also think Smash attacks will become more common, because they are universally safer now. Not always safe, but safer. Mewtwo can Fsmash, and I don't think it's punishable by everyone on block.

Then, consider an attack like Mewtwo's Nair. Previously, Nair was doing like...1% damage per hit, for 13 hits. It's probably some decimal. So the last hit of the move was doing less than a frame of shield damage. Now that the game is doing +2 at the end of the calculation, multi-hit moves like Nair are incredibly strong. Nair was already safe against everyone but Falcon and Sonic, and now it might be safe against everyone. IIRC, the move has ~16 frames of endlag on landing now, so you're talking about the opponent having 14 frames to punish Mewtwo - you can't punish a well-placed Nair in that time.

Top Bottom