• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Cronox

Banned
Something about Smash that's never happened to me before in other online games... I get on for glory earlier and fight a Samus, who would later turn into a Link and Charizard (with the respective FG strategy), but I already had a firm opinion of him half-way through our first match- the guy was an asshole and I hated him. His play style just sucked, one of those FG play styles where they're doing everything wrong but somehow the games are close. One of my observations when I went to the tournament last week was how no one was cheesing or playing in the FG style. To their detriment sometimes, honestly... but I think there's something to be said that playing FG style when one's opponent is sitting next to you takes balls. I'm glad most people have trouble doing it in person.

Brqan

I just fought someone real good on For Glory, but godamn he was cocky as fuck, he taunted at every possible moment in our matches. i usually enjoy finding good opponents but this just wasn't as much fun. At least I went even with him but still....

Oidisco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW6s4LRgKLA

Zero made a video about Zelda. Basically saying that she's pretty bad, but not the worst and probably a little better than people think.

Having thought about it for a while I do think she's the worst, but she can be scary if you don't have a lot of experience against her. Also, Zero gives Din's Fire a little too much credit. That move is absolute trash.

Zero made a video about Zelda. Basically saying that she's pretty bad, but not the worst and probably a little better than people think.

Having thought about it for a while I do think she's the worst, but she can be scary if you don't have a lot of experience against her. Also, Zero gives Din's Fire a little too much credit. That move is absolute trash.

He could have just stopped doing the 【Analysis】made it a series called "So a lot of people have been wondering...," but it seems he went even further.

Zelda's safeish forward smash, fast startup and deceptive active frames on Nayru's Love, and the ridiculous knockback of up b kind of keep her from being a punching bag even if she is still the worst character. I would rather play a terrible Ganondorf than a terrible Zelda. But I don't know what they would do with her. Most characters have pretty discernible flaws, shortcomings, or quirks. Zelda has always come off as a character who was never designed to be much of anything, let alone that good. Even with a chump like Ganondorf, you have an idea what his niche is supposed to be. What does Zelda do?

Zero acknowledging his little catchphrase is kinda like Reggie using "My body is ready," it's gonna become a thing only they do because they're known for it.

PM Zelda was pretty godly IIRC, what did that Zelda get right that regular Smash Zelda seems to fail at (frame data aside)?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Zero acknowledging his little catchphrase is kinda like Reggie using "My body is ready," it's gonna become a thing only they do because they're known for it.

PM Zelda was pretty godly IIRC, what did that Zelda get right that regular Smash Zelda seems to fail at (frame data aside)?

Zelda 3.0 is amazing with those trap fireballs and you could make some combo with it. It's shame that they decided to change fireball's function

I don't really like most of changes in 3.5-3.6

Thulius

Din's fire as a lingering trap instead of a poopy projectile is by far the most obvious improvement.

E: Oh I guess they got rid of that? Well, it was a really cool tool for her.

Dins fire atm is really limited. I found a few reliable ways for it (bombing edges ftw) but it's way less useful than phantom.

Actually been finding unique ways of using dins fire and phantom so there is still some room there.

Like dtilt dtilt down grab nair fair dins fire

Chase their recovery while they're flying away lol.

Oidisco

He could have just stopped doing the 【Analysis】made it a series called "So a lot of people have been wondering...," but it seems he went even further.

Zelda's safeish forward smash, fast startup and deceptive active frames on Nayru's Love, and the ridiculous knockback of up b kind of keep her from being a punching bag even if she is still the worst character. I would rather play a terrible Ganondorf than a terrible Zelda. But I don't know what they would do with her. Most characters have pretty discernible flaws, shortcomings, or quirks. Zelda has always come off as a character who was never designed to be much of anything, let alone that good. Even with a chump like Ganondorf, you have an idea what his niche is supposed to be. What does Zelda do?

Zelda feels like she's supposed to be a defenisve character that punishes people who approach her recklessly, except she doesn't have any decent defensive options. Nair's hitbox is a little too tall, Nayru's Love is super predictable and you can DI out of elevator. Those are her only half-decent defensive options and they can all be easily punished.

She also has no tools to make people approach. Din's is too slow and easy to defend against and Phantom is a huge commitment that's also easy to defend against.

I've been saying for a while now that they need to change her fair, having 2 Lightning kicks feels pretty pointless. Something quick that can spaced safely and make it a little harder to approach would do a lot for her.

It really is just making Zelda's normals actually good for the most part from what I feel. Din's Fire being a mine was great too altho they changed it. Still, the current one is also neat; I like placing it and then have it hit my opponents on its way back.

Boney

Banned
Zelda needs good forward and back airs. That tiny sweetspot is not worth it when other characters have huge hitboxes that come out faster and have no landing lag. Plus her slow jab, ugh, no idea why those single hit jabs are so bad (at least they're safe on hit lol).

Din's fire being poopy is second in the list compared to the above.

Also, Shiek having needles and bouncing fish and Zelda having din's fire and phantoms lol.

Sigh

Sounds like a good night to me.

In most other people's cases, you'd be right! But unfortunately, for me there is a very fine line between enjoying the process of learning from getting my ass beat and getting beaten so badly that I'm just not having fun anymore, and when I'm not having fun it's time to stop. That night was definitely the latter. This is exactly why I'll never be a seriously competitive player. Fun > all for me. I've gotten to the point in my life that I only genuinely enjoy a precious few things anymore, and Smash is one of those things. I don't want to corrupt it!

I just fought someone real good on For Glory, but godamn he was cocky as fuck, he taunted at every possible moment in our matches. i usually enjoy finding good opponents but this just wasn't as much fun. At least I went even with him but still....

God, yeah, I hate that. Playing people who are as good as or better than you is much more rewarding when they're not cocky assholes. There is absolutely no merit to being that kind of player IMO, but unfortunately some people just get off on bringing others down.

I wish ZeRo would make a video about Mega Man, just to get an idea of how the best player in the world feels about him, his strengths, and his weaknesses. It feels like every single Smash 4 player other than Mega Man mains forget that Mega Man even exists. :( Makes it very hard to learn and improve when the community at large basically ignores your character.

That said, he is super unorthodox and difficult to learn so I can't blame people for not wanting to bother putting in the time/effort to figure him out when characters like Sheik, ZSS, Captain Falcon, Mario, and Luigi are available. Still sucks though!

Boney

Banned
Zero's analysis are pretty bad tbh. They're entretaining and it's nice to know where he stands on character due to the virtue of him being the best.

To this day I'm still baffled why Dinn's in the air puts you into the no-recovery state :/
Cause covering your recovery would be too op obviously

/s

silva1991

I played online today for the second time and it was laggy as hell. like the screen sometimes freezes for like 10 or more seconds that how lagy it is. are wired connections recommended?

Boney

Banned
Man me and my big mouth, had a long back and forth with a Zelda in FG and the guy freaking murdered me lmao.

Amazing combos, was landing an insane amount of sweetspot aerials. Great use of farore wind, baiting in place, ledge canceling and elevators. Really solid play from him, we went even but he took most matches. Fun stuff, she's still trash but she can be deadly, problem is that a rushdown character still murders her.

Rushdowns aren't entirely straight up murder on a Zelda. Play against rushdowns as a Zelda long enough you learn how to deal with it. Rushdown is the easiest way to get on a Zelda's killed, but from the Zelda perspective, that is also the easiest to punish. It just becomes a 50/50 match. There's only so many options in a rushdown and when you know you're getting rushed you can get hard reads off.

Oidisco

Rushdowns aren't entirely straight up murder on a Zelda. Play against rushdowns as a Zelda long enough you learn how to deal with it. Rushdown is the easiest way to get on a Zelda's killed, but from the Zelda perspective, that is also the easiest to punish. It just becomes a 50/50 match. There's only so many options in a rushdown and when you know you're getting rushed you can get hard reads off.

Rushdown characters completely murder Zelda when they play smart and patiently. You don't really see smart play of characters like fox or Falcon on FG that often but when a Fox player knows what he's doing, that matchup feels almost un-winnable sometimes. Going for hard reads with Zelda is rarely worth the risk against good players since she gets so little reward off of them, unless you've managed to get them to higher percent in which case a teleport read might kill. But even then against a good player you can be almost certain they'll see that coming. Teleport gives you like a year to react to it

Oidisco

That guy I played for over an hour the other day reached out to me on Reddit to say I'm one of the best players he's ever fought, including some of they tournies he's gone to.

Very nice of him, almost makes me feel bad for uploading one of our matches to Youtube where I kinda styled on him.

Chicago's monthly, E2C 19, is live ft. ZeRo! I know Smash the Record is the big thing this weekend but hey, I might be on stream later repping Gaf (and hopefully not losing).

Stream is at twitch.tv/events2compete

Boney

Banned
Chicago's monthly, E2C 19, is live ft. ZeRo! I know Smash the Record is the big thing this weekend but hey, I might be on stream later repping Gaf (and hopefully not losing).

Stream is at twitch.tv/events2compete
Are you gonna use fox? Good luck!

And good luck to you Nami, hope the tourney works out fine.

Oidisco

Woah weird, I heard the counter sound effect and yet it didn't counter. I had read that dair too, oh well

Also, Nayru's love should have longer lasting invinciblilty. They fact that I can f-smash you through it kinda seems dumb to me.

Ggs. At least now I know where exactly ive been lacking. Been way too long since my last matches with good players on non fg stages. Once I actuality turn on the brain I do way better.

I still think my best matchups are against high tiers. Got your zss the most

Oidisco

Good games Wynd!
Ggs. At least now I know where exactly ive been lacking. Been way too long since my last matches with good players on non fg stages. Once I actuality turn on the brain I do way better.

I still think my best matchups are against high tiers. Got your zss the most

The one thing about my ZSS is that she's still very inconsistent. I don't know if you noticed, but I found it a lot harder to read your movement with her compared to my other characters. That's largely because I find it hard to focus on my opponent when using her. ZSS's is just so much more mobile than all my other characters that I spend a lot of time just looking at what I'm doing just to make sure I don't kill myself!

But that's not to take away from the fact that you kicked my ass a few times when using I was using her, you definitely earned those!

By the way, you should seriously start implementing fast-fall nair into your moveset. I find it to be her best combo tool, since it combos into elevator, d-smash, d-tilt, jab and up-tilt if they're larger characters.
I honestly don't think I would've won that Zelda ditto if I hadn't used ff nair

Well, I'm out. Went straight Doc but I couldn't do it. :(

I mean, I got a lot of "you're a good Doc" cpmments from people who were worried I was another Nairo bandwagoner, but it's not enough. Meanwhile I find Fox winning more and more matchups and I didn't use Ike at all today. :(

I feel like I'm trapping myself in a perpetual cycle of denial that will only end once I embrace my inner space animal.

Good games Wynd!

The one thing about my ZSS is that she's still very inconsistent. I don't know if you noticed, but I found it a lot harder to read your movement with her compared to my other characters. That's largely because I find it hard to focus on my opponent when using her. ZSS's is just so much more mobile than all my other characters that I spend a lot of time just looking at what I'm doing just to make sure I don't kill myself!

But that's not to take away from the fact that you kicked my ass a few times when using I was using her, you definitely earned those!

By the way, you should seriously start implementing fast-fall nair into your moveset. I find it to be her best combo tool, since it combos into elevator, d-smash, d-tilt, jab and up-tilt if they're larger characters.
I honestly don't think I would've won that Zelda ditto if I hadn't used ff nair

ff-nair is one of those things I'm still working on. Just haven't found a way to adapt it into my playstyle yet. I've pulled it off a few times but it's not habit yet. Right now I've been focusing more on how to really utilize phantom/dins fire as well as trying to figure out how to keep people offstage.

For the most part right now. FG is a joke with how I play my zelda. Ita great for me to figure out playstyles changes but I need more exposure to non fg stages to see how my adaptations work in a more tourney setting. Still a long way before I can say I'm satisfied but I still see many areas for my zelda to improve on.

Also. In our matchups the zss is the only one I don't have a "lingering fear".

Samus has the charge shot and the fe guys have counter. Zss I know I can really pull my aggressive zelda off better.

Top Bottom