• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Oidisco

This lagless get up is haaaaarrrrd! I've got it a few times on Battlefield, but it's definitely not something I'll be able to do consistently.

JulianImp

Let's do it - make a room?

Alright, hosting... We should do a lag check first since I'm at my cousin's, and the connection might not be as good as at home.

Edit: Is it bearable? I'm rusty as hell, but the connection didn't appear to be all that bad from what I remember.

JulianImp

God, I'm doing so bad. Guess my muscle memory must've timed out after such a long time of not playing the game.

Edit: Too bad I only did that weird hydrant trick by pure luck, since it looked really nice.

Edit2: And now I only won because your teleport bounced on the edge of the stage...

Just to provide some context to this, here's a video courtesy of My Smash Corner.

These are the characters and stages confirmed to work by My Smash Corner so far, taken from the video:
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/0DbyXum.png[/IMG]

Here's a list in text too, because I know we have several mid-low tier players in here:
  • Greninja
  • Mewtwo
  • Dark Pit
  • Captain Falcon
  • Zelda
  • Donkey Kong
  • Peach
  • Little Mac
  • Palutena
  • Lucina
  • Marth
  • Mii Gunner
and a list of working stages so far:
  • Battlefield
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Pyrosphere
  • Norfair
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Town and City
  • Smashville
  • Gaur Plains
  • Pilotwings
I can only assume that for the illegal stages he's referring to their omega forms. >.>

Here's a link to a /r/smashbros thread on Reddit discussing this. Exciting, though too bad none of my characters are confirmed to do it besides Gunner. :(

Edit: Counter getups with Ike sound fun though =3

Just saw this, and my thoughts went: "Oh hey that sounds awesome" to "OH HEY PEACH CAN DO IT" to "oh... hardest technique ever.... nevermind."

I guess you're talking about Dreamland, right? What in the world is it that causes teleport trajectories to screw up like that in some particular stages?
No, the F-Zero stage. I can't see anything with all the roads zipping around. Confuses my eyes.

I'll explain the teleport bounce crap later. :p

JulianImp

They're all pretty close matches now. I'm tempted to tell you a secret that makes this an extremely good match-up for Pac-man... :p

How about them apples? lol

The knockback on a deflected apple really is someting else. Sometimes I try using grabs, but then remember I'm playing freaking Pac-Man. UpB's a way better grab than that crappy galaga beam.

.....lagless get up? Hmm interesting. Works with 4 of my characters. Sucks the counter option does not work with Palutena....

Oh, WFT also? Make that 5 of my characters.

JulianImp

The MVP this match was definitely Halberd. It almost knocked me out with its claw, and then two beams hit you (too bad I mistimed the usmash for the second one). Still, it's crazy how much worse smash DI has gotten since Brawl, where you could avoid smart bomb-like things with ease.

JulianImp

They shouldn't, I'm just making bad choices.

What makes the matchup hard is Ness' Fair. Better than anything Jiggs has at his own game.

Yeah, I noticed that. Still, there were a couple of times when we were trading and a single fair hit wasn't worth eating Jiggs' own.

I don't even remember how to go fast it seems, because a turtle just beat me at a speed contest.

Edit: Fuck not having a projectile against somebody who can just sit out of range. Also, do short-hopped ADs have some start-up lag now, or is it just the network latency that's making me miss 90% of my SHADs? It's like I'm going into the air just to eat your happy little bundles of joy.

Air dodges have the same startup, AFAIK.

I think Roy is even against Mewtwo. :p

Yeah, I noticed that. Still, there were a couple of times when we were trading and a single fair hit wasn't worth eating Jiggs' own.

I don't even remember how to go fast it seems, because a turtle just beat me at a speed contest.
You have to out-turtle the turtle in that matchup.

JulianImp

You have to out-turtle the turtle in that matchup.

In case you didn't figure it out, I think my defensive game's almost non-existent. I keep eating your shnairs, for crying out loud.

I think Roy is even against Mewtwo. :p

You forget tiers and win rates only matter if both players are actually knowledgeable about their characters, and Roy's one of my tertiaries at best on top of my not having played him for over two months, so that point is moot.

Also, I can't for the life of me get accustomed to fast-fallers after having mained Pac for so long.

Edit2: Heh, gave you some trouble with Link. I had the "don't get hit by shadow balls" game down but that could only get me so far, and then my lack of character knowledge did the rest. :p

In case you didn't figure it out, I think my defensive game's almost non-existent. I keep eating your shnairs, for crying out loud.

You forget tiers and win rates only matter if both players are actually knowledgeable about their characters, and Roy's one of my tertiaries at best on top of my not having played him for over two months, so that point is moot.

Also, I can't for the life of me get accustomed to fast-fallers after having mained Pac for so long.

Edit2: Heh, gave you some trouble with Link. I had the "don't get hit by shadow balls" game down but that could only get me so far, and then my lack of character knowledge did the rest. :p
Any reason for the big breaks between matches?

Link is up there with Falco in characters that I don't think actually beat my characters, I just consistently fail to handle them properly.

JulianImp

Any reason for the big breaks between matches?

Link is up there with Falco in characters that I don't think actually beat my characters, I just consistently fail to handle them properly.

I'm choosing which character to pick, and I just had to use the bathroom since we had been playing non-stop.

Edit: I fight for my friends.

JulianImp

I'm noticing a very clear pattern where you always shield by the edge of the stage and go for a shield grab, which is why I've been spacing stuff to make you miss and then abuse Metwtwo's slow grab.

Edit: You also love air dodging as soon as possible whenever I land a dash attack, even though I'm still awful at actually adjusting my aerials' timing so I haven't been able to punish it like I should.

Edit2: It's been a couple times I see you dthrow, dtilt and usmash even when I've jumped away and it's clear you can't follow the combo up, which leaves you open for quite a while. Just another pattern I noticed, even though I suck at actually punishing it.

I'm noticing a very clear pattern where you always shield by the edge of the stage and go for a shield grab, which is why I've been spacing stuff to make you miss and then abuse Metwtwo's slow grab.

Edit: You also love air dodging as soon as possible whenever I land a dash attack, even though I'm still awful at actually adjusting my aerials' timing so I haven't been able to punish it like I should.

Edit2: It's been a couple times I see you dthrow, dtilt and usmash even when I've jumped away and it's clear you can't follow the combo up, which leaves you open for quite a while.
You have to realize that while you complain about Pac-man, he is a high tier character, and everything he has but his grab is really safe. Mewtwo has nothing safe at all, and he needs to take a lot of risks to win. Also, you are usually bad at spacing your aerials, so I shield grab a lot. :p

Edit: That last match demonstrates why I shield grab a lot. :p

JulianImp

You have to realize that while you complain about Pac-man, he is a high tier character, and everything he has but his grab is really safe. Mewtwo has nothing safe at all, and he needs to take a lot of risks to win. Also, you are usually bad at spacing your aerials, so I shield grab a lot. :p

I'm only pointing out things I've noticed you keep doing since I'm not sure if you're actually aware of that or not. Not trying to sound condescending or anything, and I don't want to keep secrets that might help you down the line just for a slight edge.

Again, tiers don't matter since it's clear there's enough of a skill gap between us to let you win the majority of our Pac vs Mewtwo games regardless of what pro players say should happen. I don't play competitively and don't keep up with strategies and patterns that most people would recommend for Pac. I just play trying to have fun while honing my skills little by little.

I'm only pointing out things I've noticed you keep doing since I'm not sure if you're actually aware of that or not. Not trying to sound condescending or anything, and I don't want to keep secrets that might help you down the line just for a slight edge.

Again, tiers don't matter since it's clear there's enough of a skill gap between us to let you win the majority of our Pac vs Mewtwo games regardless of what pro players say should happen. I don't play competitively and don't keep up with strategies and patterns that most people would recommend for Pac. I just play trying to have fun while honing my skills little by little.
Whenever I throw Shadow Ball, use Pacman's side B to block it.

I'm not offended, I'm just explaining the Usmashes. Mewtwo has to take those risks.

JulianImp

Whenever I throw Shadow Ball, use Pacman's side B to block it.

I try, but it might be the input lag or me not being used to the timing and I always screw it up.

It took me a long while to adjust to not air dodging out of your dthrow, which'd always result in me eating your dtilt and whichever follow-up you could muster.

Did we just get DCed?

I try, but it might be the input lag or me not being used to the timing and I always screw it up.

It took me a long while to adjust to not air dodging out of your dthrow, which'd always result in me eating your dtilt and whichever follow-up you could muster.

Did we just get DCed?

Everyone did - servers went down. Make the room again.

JulianImp

I just had a wicked flashback to nearly a decade ago.

Oh, come on...

I mean that if a not-so-good Pac player plays against a more skilled Mewtwo then it isn't like the Pac HAS to win most matches by mere virtue of being a higher tier than Mewtwo. It's just like some player I saw at our local tourney that had the luxury of going Ganondorf (as a Rosa main) just to play around with his opponents, and he was good enough to actually win as Dorf.

Karst: I guess I'm calling it quits then, since my cousin just got back home and it's about time we made dinner. Great games, and hopefully I'll get to play a bit more Pac vs Bowser sometime later.

Oh, come on...

I mean that if a not-so-good Pac player plays against a more skilled Mewtwo then it isn't like the Pac HAS to win most matches by mere virtue of being a higher tier than Mewtwo. It's just like some player I saw at our local tourney that had the luxury of going Ganondorf (as a Rosa main) just to play around with his opponents, and he was good enough to actually win as Dorf.

Karst: I guess I'm calling it quits then, since my cousin just got back home and it's about time we made dinner. Great games, and hopefully I'll get to play a bit more Pac vs Bowser sometime later.
Good games man.

JulianImp

And yeah, I agree that Pac indeed has a lot of safe moves. I feel like there were several times I was getting out of stuff I shouldn't have merely thanks to his 3-frame nair, and once I remembered I could upB after one of his really fast aerials to take away your options after shielding things got a lot more manageable. Even then I sometimes used dair for some stupid reason, and it sucked as much as I remembered.

Then there was that time I grabbed you and got flung out of my hold by my own trampoline, which was weird as hell and made me take a mental note about it. Getting used to the way trampolines and water jets work sure take a while...

And yeah, I agree that Pac indeed has a lot of safe moves. I feel like there were several times I was getting out of stuff I shouldn't have merely thanks to his 3-frame nair, and once I remembered I could upB after one of his really fast aerials to take away your options after shielding things got a lot more manageable. Even then I sometimes used dair for some stupid reason, and it sucked as much as I remembered.

Then there was that time I grabbed you and got flung out of my hold by my own trampoline, which was weird as hell and made me take a mental note about it. Getting used to the way trampolines and water jets work sure take a while...
I think Pac-man is the king of "random stuff you aren't prepared for" between the hydropump bounce trajectories and water spouts, the various fruit speeds/angles, and the chaos his up B can create. He's very much a character that makes both parties react on the fly, and it's pretty great. More characters should be like that.

Just stop approaching with Nair. :p

JulianImp

Just stop approaching with Nair. :p

I'd like to fair more, but the really low hitstun makes it hard for me to adapt on the fly and do follow-ups properly.

Edit: Basically, I just don't know any proper combos or strings, so I either think stuff up on the fly (which sometimes pays off wonderfully, but other times I just end up doing nothing but opening myself up for no good reason), or do lots of short attack strings that end with knocking my opponents away from melee range each time. Oh, and I still don't feel comfortable shielding through a multi-hit attack and often drop my shield halfway through them for some reason.

I'd like to fair more, but the really low hitstun makes it hard for me to adapt on the fly and do follow-ups properly.
Fair was a lot harder for me to punish when you approached with it, though. Both the additional shieldstun and spacing make it superior. Many of your deaths were from shieldgrabbed Nairs.

JulianImp

Fair was a lot harder for me to punish when you approached with it, though. Both the additional shieldstun and spacing make it superior. Many of your deaths were from shieldgrabbed Nairs.

Today's the second time I've ever played with the new shieldstun values, so I still don't know which moves are best for applying shield pressure.

I'll also see if I can watch my nair usage a bit more, since even if I land it it as an approach you're right that it isn't a good choice, since it never results in combos due to the high knockback, is horribly unsafe due to using Pac's body as hitbox, and stales the move for when I actually want to take people offstage with it.

Today's the second time I've ever played with the new shieldstun values, so I still don't know which moves are best for applying shield pressure.

I'll also see if I can watch my nair usage a bit more, since even if I land it it as an approach you're right that it isn't a good choice, since it never results in combos due to the high knockback, is horribly unsafe due to using Pac's body as hitbox, and stales the move for when I actually want to take people offstage with it.
On the other hand, you could use Nair OoS a LOT more - it's good for that.

JulianImp

On the other hand, you could use Nair OoS a LOT more - it's good for that.

Which would be a good plan, except I don't shield. It took me a lot of concious effort to actually start airdodging rather than always contesting stuff with my own aerials all the time, which obviously made no sense and was rarely a good idea since I often played Pac-Man, Luigi or Sonic, and they all have relatively low range and no disjointed hitboxes on their aerials.

Maybe I should try going online as Bowser and try to OOS fortress to get used to shielding and then punishing (if applicable, of course). Could be anyone, but I'm saying Bowser since I'm so bad at him I won't be tempted to play "for real" and do other stuff.

Top Bottom