• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Cronox

Banned
Met a good Bowser on for glory tonight. After coming across a Peach with some ridiculous combos, sometimes a ditto is the only way to know you're in a fair fight in this game...

Robiin

Playing Rivals of Aether and this game at the same time is such a mindbender. So similar, yet such different key mechanics. The ledge stuff fucks me over all the time. Anyone else here playing Rivals? It's really fun, but the aesthetics are not very compelling after playing Smash in HD for so long. And the hitstun is insane, too much in my opinion. I thought the easy 0-40 combos in Smash were boring (like getting grabbed by Mario or up-tilted by Pikachu), but in Rivals it's actually worse. However, I love the airdodges in Rivals, very balanced and kind of a mix between this game were it has decent endlag and you can act afterwards, and Melee were you can direct it which also makes wavedashes possible.

Fandangox

Bad news, still can't use my wii u for REASONS. Good news, is that I can at least play with the 3ds version again so if down the line anyone wants some 3ds games I am available.

Ricky 7

Bad news, still can't use my wii u for REASONS. Good news, is that I can at least play with the 3ds version again so if down the line anyone wants some 3ds games I am available.

I'm in the same situation as you, don't have access to the Wii U version until the end of December so I'm stuck with the 3DS version for the time being.

TWILT

Banned
I'm still playing Smash too, I just took a week long break after Canada Cup to catch up on a few games lol. Just finished Earthbound the other day. Playing Yoshi's Woolly World and Trails in the Skies atm. I also finally got around to buying Shovel Knight/Transistor on Steam, so I'll have to get to that eventually lol.

Of course, I still have Marvel to practice too and I really want to get back into Xrd...

Hey guys, could use some input if anyone has any. I've got well over 1000 hours in the game and I still struggle hardcore with Villager and Yoshi. Mostly Villager. I main Falco, Kirby, ROB and Captain Falcon and I can only stand up to those two with Kirby. The projectile spam, most notably the Villager's slingshot just mess me up. Not sure how to punish someone who just short-hops out of your reach spamming at you. Generally if I play Kirby I can dodge the rocks though since I'm so small, but I don't want to have to rely on strictly counter picks to win my matches for me.

Anyone got any advice? I've tried playing defensively and shielding it all but there's no punish since Villager doesn't have to close the gap. I've tried to close the gap quickly and stay in his face but the neutral air, down air and up air do a good job of keeping me at arm's length. Reflector is basically useless too since the rocks never hit him back.

Hey guys, could use some input if anyone has any. I've got well over 1000 hours in the game and I still struggle hardcore with Villager and Yoshi. Mostly Villager. I main Falco, Kirby, ROB and Captain Falcon and I can only stand up to those two with Kirby. The projectile spam, most notably the Villager's slingshot just mess me up. Not sure how to punish someone who just short-hops out of your reach spamming at you. Generally if I play Kirby I can dodge the rocks though since I'm so small, but I don't want to have to rely on strictly counter picks to win my matches for me.

Anyone got any advice? I've tried playing defensively and shielding it all but there's no punish since Villager doesn't have to close the gap. I've tried to close the gap quickly and stay in his face but the neutral air, down air and up air do a good job of keeping me at arm's length. Reflector is basically useless too since the rocks never hit him back.

Damn, you have more hours than me. I can't help you with Villager, but I can give you advice on Yoshi.

Out of the characters you listed, I would say the order of how good each of them does against Yoshi from best to worse is this: Captain Falcon, Kirby, ROB, Falco.

In my opinion, Captain Falcon would also be a decent choice against Villager. But let's not talk about Villager. To beat Yoshi, it helps to realize his greatest weakness, and that is killing. His moves are good by themselves, but nothing sets up for a guaranteed or even likely kill if the opponent has experience against Yoshi. So what you have to do is not give chances for Yoshi to fair you off-stage, and to shield a lot when at kill %. Yoshi can do a single jab to a smash attack, but this depends on your DI and how close he is when he jabs. If Yoshi pummels you while grabbing, you are able to shield right after and punish whatever he does out of the pummels.

I can play you some time if you want some experience in the match-up. Yoshi is my main.

Run in, shield. But at the same time, look for gaps in his slingshot assault that you can exploit. Captain Falcon is the worst of those three that I have to deal with since he's so fast. Falco too, since his Reflector moves forward. Don't use the reflector with hopes of hitting me with my projectiles, use it as a defensive measure.

Damn, you have more hours than me. I can't help you with Villager, but I can give you advice on Yoshi.

Out of the characters you listed, I would say the order of how good each of them does against Yoshi from best to worse is this: Captain Falcon, Kirby, ROB, Falco.

In my opinion, Captain Falcon would also be a decent choice against Villager. But let's not talk about Villager. To beat Yoshi, it helps to realize his greatest weakness, and that is killing. His moves are good by themselves, but nothing sets up for a guaranteed or even likely kill if the opponent has experience against Yoshi. So what you have to do is not give chances for Yoshi to fair you off-stage, and to shield a lot when at kill %. Yoshi can do a single jab to a smash attack, but this depends on your DI and how close he is when he jabs. If Yoshi pummels you while grabbing, you are able to shield right after and punish whatever he does out of the pummels.

I can play you some time if you want some experience in the match-up. Yoshi is my main.

Thanks for the tips. I never really noticed but now that you mention it he doesn't have a whole lot of set ups. Taking that into account if you don't do anything too punishable you could survive for a while at higher percents.

Is it worth it to try to take advantage of his lack of a significant third recovery move or does the risk of getting in range of his aerials kind of negate that? I always try to gimp him after the second jump but it never works out too well in my favor, plus his Up B actually does a decent amount of recovery this time...

Thanks for the tips. I never really noticed but now that you mention it he doesn't have a whole lot of set ups. Taking that into account if you don't do anything too punishable you could survive for a while at higher percents.

Is it worth it to try to take advantage of his lack of a significant third recovery move or does the risk of getting in range of his aerials kind of negate that? I always try to gimp him after the second jump but it never works out too well in my favor, plus his Up B actually does a decent amount of recovery this time...

Yeah, there are many times I do over 300% in total damage over a 2-stock match. Quite annoying, and it is an aspect I need to focus on.

Absolutely take advantage of Yoshi's recovery depending on your character. Multi-hit moves like Kirby's dair destroys Yoshi's double jump, and Falco's laser also gets rid of Yoshi's double jump. Not really much ROB or Captain Falcon can do, other than ROB shooting out gyro or something while Yoshi is off-stage, and Captain Falcon just guarding the ledge and sometimes going for a dair.

Yoshi's up-B is useless after the third egg. Even then, the third egg is terrible by itself. Yoshi's eggs don't get their recovery properties back until landing on stage, and grabbing the ledge doesn't count.

Well, I started playing again yesterday, and thought I was doing fairly well for having not played in a few months.

Then I let a Little Mac two stock me.... with two aerial kills. Time to quit for life.

EDIT: BTW not a Little Mac main either. They got it by random.

Cronox

Banned
Well, I started playing again yesterday, and thought I was doing fairly well for having not played in a few months.

Then I let a Little Mac two stock me.... with two aerial kills. Time to quit for life.

EDIT: BTW not a Little Mac main either. They got it by random.

Ha I saw you online today by coincidence. Playing against Little Mac is like playing the lottery sometimes. There's some idiot savant Little Macs and Links out there, every hit is a face-palm moment but it just keeps coming. For glory has a good amount of above-average players these days too, anyone still playing is playing for a reason... often with a gimmicky for glory playstyle, unfortunately.

Ha I saw you online today by coincidence. Playing against Little Mac is like playing the lottery sometimes. There's some idiot savant Little Macs and Links out there, every hit is a face-palm moment but it just keeps coming. For glory has a good amount of above-average players these days too, anyone still playing is playing for a reason... often with a gimmicky for glory playstyle, unfortunately.

Nah this wasn't For Glory, I was playing one of my friends who is a BIT better than me (he wins more than not, but it's usually somewhat close, and certainly not hopeless), and he just threw it on Random and ended up with Little Mac.

But then, I literally just started playing again the other day, and have had maybe 15 matches to get back in the groove, so eh.

Also to me, 90% of For Glory olayers are good. :x

So who are C.Falcon's poor matchups in Smash 4 and who can cover them?

Anyone who can keep him off the stage and away from the ledge with little or no effort does well against him. Charizard, Pikachu, Mario, Peach, and Kirby all can keep him away from the edge extremely easily and/or make him take huge damage just for attempting to recover.

Anyone who can keep him off the stage and away from the ledge with little or no effort does well against him. Charizard, Pikachu, Mario, Peach, and Kirby all can keep him away from the edge extremely easily and/or make him take huge damage just for attempting to recover.
Thanks. Do any of those have any common bad matchups (apart from like Sheik or ZSS and I'm pretty sure Pikachu does well vs Sheik?)

I'm trying to figure out other characters I can play and my first point of reference are characters that CF does poorly against.

PillarEN

Question about online.

What's up with these matches where you are actually trying to have fun and battle but the other 3 supposedly random people are standing around and don't battle anyone except you? I'm not talking about "nofight" wastes of space. Just 3 people who telepathically have decided to not play and only make your life miserable.

Is this some fragment of the Smash community that gets off to this shit? You're wasting 2 minutes of my life!

RomanceDawn

I just played a really good Mewtwo. The way he moved around with Neutral B reversing and launching Shadow Balls really surprised me. I've yet to play Karsticles yet so I don't know if he moves around like this as well. He gave me hope for Mewtwo's future development.

Question about online.

What's up with these matches where you are actually trying to have fun and battle but the other 3 supposedly random people are standing around and don't battle anyone except you? I'm not talking about "nofight" wastes of space. Just 3 people who telepathically have decided to not play and only make your life miserable.

Is this some fragment of the Smash community that gets off to this shit? You're wasting 2 minutes of my life!

It started in Brawl, they are called taunt parties. Only Sakurai went out of his way to make sure that in a regular battle online characters can not spam taunts. Wily dumb idiots found a way around this security measure and just don't do anything at all. I thought there was another measure put into place to combat this behavior but I guess not. If it gets as bad as Brawl you will have a very hard time trying to find random free for alls. Maybe in 4 glory with no items 4 player you will have better luck?

It's a very big world we live in and I understand that some people float their boats with some strange activities but this... This is unforgivable. People like that should be ejected from the earth. I mean what is the thought process? They sit there and do nothing and attack anyone who dares disturb the peace.

It started in Brawl, they are called taunt parties. Only Sakurai went out of his way to make sure that in a regular battle online characters can not spam taunts. Wily dumb idiots found a way around this security measure and just don't do anything at all. I thought there was another measure put into place to combat this behavior but I guess not. If it gets as bad as Brawl you will have a very hard time trying to find random free for alls. Maybe in 4 glory with no items 4 player you will have better luck?

It's a very big world we live in and I understand that some people float their boats with some strange activities but this... This is unforgivable. People like that should be ejected from the earth. I mean what is the thought process? They sit there and do nothing and attack anyone who dares disturb the peace.

"Why have fun when you can not have fun?" Duh.

My internet seems to be fixed. I'll be able to play while ignoring my important research.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Some of his aerials are parts of Shulk
Some of his ground moves are parts of Ike and Roy

He looks like a hybrid of existing chars. Mostly Ike and Shulk though.

Yep, that's what I thought when I saw the trailer but I really need to see the trailer again. Cloud = Ike + Shulk

However I love the announcement trailer and I'm totally hyped about it. :) Why December, it's so far away!

Top Bottom