• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Cronox

Banned
Oh my god. I'm not sure how I feel about this one. There may be more depth to his character based on his limit break deal. I like that he has a projectile. Just because someone has a sword doesn't mean they shouldn't have one... Will have to wait for more info, but cautiously optimistic. That stage looks cool too, though I'll never play on it.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Oh my god. I'm not sure how I feel about this one. There may be more depth to his character based on his limit break deal. I like that he has a projectile. Just because someone has a sword doesn't mean they shouldn't have one... Will have to wait for more info, but cautiously optimistic. That stage looks cool too, though I'll never play on it.

Optimistic on his Limit Break meter mechanics. Still a Bowser guy through and through.

Ok moveset talk.

Up B us that vertical jump slash.
Foward b is the one with the symbols. Video showed it being done both on ground and air.
Side B should be the projectile.
Down B is I dunno.
Neutral b might be limit charge. Once full one of his specials become a limit version

Beats

Neutral B is probably the projectile and down B the limit break charge. Side B the sword slashes with the symbols (idk what it's called) and up b is vertical jump slash.

jnWake

Ok moveset talk.

Up B us that vertical jump slash.
Foward b is the one with the symbols. Video showed it being done both on ground and air.
Side B should be the projectile.
Down B is I dunno.
Neutral b might be limit charge. Once full one of his specials become a limit version

You added an extra special haha. I guess down B is the one with the symbols and forward B is the projectile.

Limit charge may be an special or maybe something that triggers on high percentage? No hints in the trailer tbh.

I can be pretty content-completionist with games I love. Smash is one of those games. I'm trying to get all DLC released to date but am fucking absolutely boggled by the options on the eShop. Can anyone give some guidance on the cheapest way to make sure you get everything?

I can be pretty content-completionist with games I love. Smash is one of those games. I'm trying to get all DLC released to date but am fucking absolutely boggled by the options on the eShop. Can anyone give some guidance on the cheapest way to make sure you get everything?
The bundles save you literally nothing, IIRC.

If you're really after all the DLC, costumes included:

There are bundles for each "wave" of DLC released, and you can purchase them for one or both systems. At least in the good ol' USA, the bundles save you literally nothing over buying them individually. In fact, you'd spend the exact same amount either way. The only thing to consider really is whether you're buying for one or both systems.

Thanks for the replies. Price is a bit high just for all the costumes and shit. Will probably pass.

Also curious: will the DLC Amiibos unlock the character for those who haven't bought the character yet?

Thanks for the replies. Price is a bit high just for all the costumes and shit. Will probably pass.

Also curious: will the DLC Amiibos unlock the character for those who haven't bought the character yet?

They don't make the characters available for you to play as, but you can still use DLC amiibos even if you haven't bought the characters. For example, if you use the Mewtwo amiibo it will create a Mewtwo amiibo fighter in-game whether or not you have the DLC.

jnWake

Cloud trailer was awesome, from the FFVII music in the intro to the summons and crazy shit. Midgar stage looked super cool but I really hope they add a hazard-less button someday. I'd like to see it played in tourneys.

Any ideas for what we'll get in the Dec. Direct? Only newcomers or something bigger?

JulianImp

Cloud trailer was awesome, from the FFVII music in the intro to the summons and crazy shit. Midgar stage looked super cool but I really hope they add a hazard-less button someday. I'd like to see it played in tourneys.

There's always omega, but it's quite unlikely that we'll ever end up getting hazard-less versions of any stages based on what Sakurai said a couple times (AFAIK).

I'm not a FF fan, but I bet the Cloud reveal must've been hype as hell for many. Still, he looks like yet another Ike based on the trailer (he even has the same dair!).

Now we need Snake back.

The cloud trailer got me off starcraft 2 to play some smash. Managed to bump into a couple of really good falcon's which I barely beat. One went way too long to upload the replay, the other is short, only because I managed to get a recovery gimp right after he respawned.

Cronox

Banned
Looking like we have a swordsman with a projectile and no counter (No, Meta Knight and Robin don't count). I'm looking forward to this. Specifically the part where I buy him and play him for 10 minutes before going back to Bowser. But the anticipation until I buy him will be great.

Man, that "oh..." moment when I played Lucas for the first time was rough.

How can he have so many summons? o_O

Stage hazards on the Midgar stage. The materia wheel only seemed to lead to special or charged up attacks.

Any ideas for what we'll get in the Dec. Direct? Only newcomers or something bigger?

Funny, I had my volume low so I didn't hear the music at first, so when it opened on space I assumed Wolf was being announced. Anyway, what could be bigger than newcomers? I don't expect any great online features coming, nor do I expect Sakurai to give the option to remove stage hazards... Newcomers all the way. Hell, how about Zangief, maybe then I can play a proper grappler in this game.

Still, he looks like yet another Ike based on the trailer (he even has the same dair!).

That's Shulk's dair bruh.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
If a character is a "clone" of two characters how does that make him a clone at all.

I feel like Cloud's as much of an Ike/Shulk clone as Roy or Link are. :/

I think all the characters are clones of each other they all use buttons to throw out attacks and do damage and they can all jump too.

No I think this clone mentality is so and so from this RPG wields a sword and so do these guys.

I got a Wii U recently, and I think I'm going to pick up Smash today. This will be my first game in the series since Melee. What do I need to know about amiibo stuff? I can also afford to pick up one amiibo to go with the game... should I? Does that add to the experience much? Are there some amiibos that don't work?

entremet

Cloud's limit system looks cray.

I love how Sakurai is really personalizing these guest characters.

Ryu with his SF motions and now Cloud with his limit system.

JulianImp

I got a Wii U recently, and I think I'm going to pick up Smash today. This will be my first game in the series since Melee. What do I need to know about amiibo stuff? I can also afford to pick up one amiibo to go with the game... should I? Does that add to the experience much? Are there some amiibos that don't work?

Amiibos don't add much to the game, IMO. The customizable AI isn't all that interesting, and from what I've heard it basically begins cheating with upgraded stats at higher levels. It's a cool bonus on top of getting a figure, but not much else.

As for which ones work, all the Smash ones would obviously work, and I'm not entirely sure, but I think you can use a non-smash amiibo for a character that's playable in smash (say, a regular Mario amiibo instead of the smash model).

Amiibos don't add much to the game, IMO. The customizable AI isn't all that interesting, and from what I've heard it basically begins cheating with upgraded stats at higher levels. It's a cool bonus on top of getting a figure, but not much else.

As for which ones work, all the Smash ones would obviously work, and I'm not entirely sure, but I think you can use a non-smash amiibo for a character that's playable in smash (say, a regular Mario amiibo instead of the smash model).

You can definitely use a regular Mario amiibo for Smash, so this applies to the other Mario series amiibo that are represented in Smash. I don't know about the Yarn Yoshis and such however.

And to be fair, the amiibo do seem to become smarter than level 9 cpu to some degree before buffing their stats behind the scenes so there's that.

Vena

You can definitely use a regular Mario amiibo for Smash, so this applies to the other Mario series amiibo that are represented in Smash. I don't know about the Yarn Yoshis and such however.

And to be fair, the amiibo do seem to become smarter than level 9 cpu to some degree before buffing their stats behind the scenes so there's that.

Yarn Yoshi is a Yoshi. Just fluffier.

JulianImp

Still, level 9s are already annoying enough with their instant air dodges, and I hate that about them since it teaches you to counter their repetitive patterns with patterns of your own, and that tends to suck when you find a human opponent that's actually smart enough to not do the same things all the time... which incidentally happens to be anyone moderately good at the game.

Really, I'd say spending $12 on an amiibo isn't worth it for smash alone. They do make for cheap and decent official Nintendo figures, though.
And that reminds me I never had the chance to get Pac, MM or Ness because amiibos are only sold at around 6x MSRP around here.

Lagless ledge getups confirmed

the game has been changed

Just to provide some context to this, here's a video courtesy of My Smash Corner.

These are the characters and stages confirmed to work by My Smash Corner so far, taken from the video:
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/0DbyXum.png[/IMG]

Here's a list in text too, because I know we have several mid-low tier players in here:
  • Greninja
  • Mewtwo
  • Dark Pit
  • Captain Falcon
  • Zelda
  • Donkey Kong
  • Peach
  • Little Mac
  • Palutena
  • Lucina
  • Marth
  • Mii Gunner
and a list of working stages so far:
  • Battlefield
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Pyrosphere
  • Norfair
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Town and City
  • Smashville
  • Gaur Plains
  • Pilotwings
I can only assume that for the illegal stages he's referring to their omega forms. >.>

Here's a link to a /r/smashbros thread on Reddit discussing this. Exciting, though too bad none of my characters are confirmed to do it besides Gunner. :(

Edit: Counter getups with Ike sound fun though =3

He does it with roy in the video, but doesn't have it listed or as an annotation, weird

From what I understand, that's a separate trick where characters with a counter can do a jumping getup and immediately cancel the jump into a counter when they're about to jump off the stage, with the exception of poor Palutena.

Puruzi

Banned
From what I understand, that's a separate trick where characters with a counter can do a jumping getup and immediately cancel the jump into a counter when they're about to jump off the stage, with the exception of poor Palutena.

Wow, I swear I remembered him doing it as the actual tech with roy, but I just checked and he didn't

welp

Just to provide some context to this, here's a video courtesy of My Smash Corner.

These are the characters and stages confirmed to work by My Smash Corner so far, taken from the video:
Code:

Here's a list in text too, because I know we have several mid-low tier players in here:
  • Greninja
  • Mewtwo
  • Dark Pit
  • Captain Falcon
  • Zelda
  • Donkey Kong
  • Peach
  • Little Mac
  • Palutena
  • Lucina
  • Marth
  • Mii Gunner
  • Battlefield
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Pyrosphere
  • Norfair
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Town and City
  • Smashville
  • Gaur Plains
  • Pilotwings
I can only assume that for the illegal stages he's referring to their omega forms. >.>

Here's a link to a /r/smashbros thread on Reddit discussing this. Exciting, though too bad none of my characters are confirmed to do it besides Gunner. :(

This will get patched, I bet. :p

Why does Mewtwo's look all weird? :/

Code:

• Greninja
  • Mewtwo
  • Dark Pit
  • Captain Falcon
  • Zelda
  • Donkey Kong
  • Peach
  • Little Mac
  • Palutena
  • Lucina
  • Marth
  • Mii Gunner
  • Battlefield
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Pyrosphere
  • Norfair
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Town and City
  • Smashville
  • Gaur Plains
  • Pilotwings

Ledge recovery to elevator time!

JulianImp

I bet this is yet another tech that steps up several characters' game, but doesn't work with Pac-Man as per usual.

Will somebody think of the hungry yellow pizzas?

Top Bottom