• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Was able to pull off that no lag ledge recovery business on someone who was expecting a roll recovery.

End result was a lightning kick to the face.

Quite satisfied with the results.

Cronox

Banned
Play FG at 3 a.m. ET on a Sunday and you might come across some really good players. I did last weekend. Some were also assholes, but they were at least skilled!

This is me every night. There are some surprisingly good players on late at night, which is too bad cause my performance degrades the later it gets. But for glory is just playing the lottery at any time of the day. The worst is when a really good player shows up, then leaves after one match.

Masked Man

I said wow
I think it's funny how much of a disparity there seems to be between US For Glory and JP For Glory. All the players I encounter over here are pretty competent, and a good majority of them are quite good!

FG for me is like 20% good players, 80% garbage. Given how I leave after one match it's really that bad with the general FG population. Most of the time I don't even play FG seriously, just trying to find ways to get certain things into habit so I pretty much autopilot most of that 80%. By the time I do encounter a good player my autopilot is on and I tend to end up losing.

If I get a chain of good opponents then I take everything seriously and end up doing far better.

I stick around when I find a good opponent. On Tuesday, I found a FANTASTIC Lucas player, and he was a good sport, too. We always complimented each other after each win.

Actually, I've started playing my FG matches and using the tag function to compliment my opponent. Maybe I can make it a better environment.

I stick around when I find a good opponent. On Tuesday, I found a FANTASTIC Lucas player, and he was a good sport, too. We always complimented each other after each win.

Actually, I've started playing my FG matches and using the tag function to compliment my opponent. Maybe I can make it a better environment.
Karst looking out for the Smash kids everywhere, I can respect that.

Frankly I'd rather have a convenient message system so at least we wouldn't have rude-ass names flashing on the screen from scrubs. Not something I wanna deal with when I'm playing Smash for all to see. :/

Hylian7

I don't claim to be super great at this game, but I think I've literally only ever seen one other Palutena player in For Glory other than myself, and I beat them.

I really wish Palutena's default moveset was better, but she's still my main anyway.

I don't claim to be super great at this game, but I think I've literally only ever seen one other Palutena player in For Glory other than myself, and I beat them.

I really wish Palutena's default moveset was better, but she's still my main anyway.

I've seen a handful of Palutena's on FG. Hell I've been seeing more Zelda's on FG recently much to my dismay. I hate Zelda ditto's.

RomanceDawn

Change starts with you!

Some people really surprise me from time to time and I have "Dude..." "respect!" as a tag and most people seem to love the compliment. I also use URGR8 from time to time.

Ever so often people don't say a word which is fine, but you can just tell by the way they play they are apple holes in real life.

Some guy named himself the KOking and I decimated him. He starts calling me a weabo(what is that?), fat ass, and few other things. I respond with GGs, URGR8. I could tell it really riled him and in our next match I think I spiked him twice in about 20 seconds lol.

FSLink

Banned
I actually had a Pac-Man trying to do this to me in for glory tonight. Minus the shield-break part. But a key drop and hydrant were involved, and man that key lasted way too many drops. And I was Mewtwo. What a fucking horrible matchup.
Yeah it lasts too many drops because Pac Man's projectiles don't disappear when dropped. (unlike some characters like Mega Man where zdropping a Metal Blade has a chance of disappearing)

He stopped playing around when DMC4 SE came out and he probably doesn't want to come back too much since customs are no longer standard.

All the decent players really are on past midnight, but by that point I'm basically playing on muscle memory and patterns.

Cronox

Banned

I usually only say something if they do, but I have a couple polite responses (Thanks, U2, Ha-YouGotMe, Nice, etc) and a couple for addressing taunts (I combo "TheTaunts" into "Necessary?"), but I refuse to say it was a good game after every damn match. That's some bullshit. The first GG gets a "GoodGames!" from me, then I'm done. They'll see it one more time when I'm on my way out, otherwise I don't waste time.

I usually only say something if they do, but I have a couple polite responses (Thanks, U2, Ha-YouGotMe, Nice, etc) and a couple for addressing taunts (I combo "TheTaunts" into "Necessary?"), but I refuse to say it was a good game after every damn match. That's some bullshit. The first GG gets a "GoodGames!" from me, then I'm done. They'll see it one more time when I'm on my way out, otherwise I don't waste time.
I am trying to do it after every match - it only takes a moment.

Also, I talked to my student about the whole maturity thing from your post a while ago - you were spot on.

Playing without customs is like eating dried out burgers. No flavor.
Do you still feel that way when playing Bowser against custom Villager? All that delicious flavor?

I do. To not do so means I have an unwillingness to learn. And that alone stagnates the meta.

The game has over 50 characters, there's always something to learn. The meta won't stagnate just because Villager isn't camping the ledge and creating 9-1 matchups that always go to time. We don't need more shit added to the mix when people already don't bother with characters who came out 5 months ago, let alone the ones who have been in the game since launch.

Laughlin

Really need to get back into this game 😕 there's just too much stuff coming out lately! Still been keeping up with the competitive scene though.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The game has over 50 characters, there's always something to learn. The meta won't stagnate just because Villager isn't camping the ledge and creating 9-1 matchups that always go to time. We don't need more shit added to the mix when people already don't bother with characters who came out 5 months ago, let alone the ones who have been in the game since launch.

There's always something to learn but you don't want to spend time learning how the custom moves of other character's work?

I don't get it.

I do. To not do so means I have an unwillingness to learn. And that alone stagnates the meta.
People who play without customs are still learning. They're just playing a better game.

The meta is shifting constantly - ZeRo has been unseated, that's a major shift in the meta.

There's always something to learn but you don't want to spend time learning how the custom moves of other character's work?

I don't get it.
I don't want to play a horribly balanced game, which is what results from customs. If Sakurai wants to start balancing them, I'm open to them.

I don't want to play a horribly balanced game, which is what results from customs. If Sakurai wants to start balancing them, I'm open to them.
The last patch consisted almost nothing but changes to customs, so it's not like they're being totally overlooked by the balance team. Hell, the patch prior to that got rid of the infamous Pikachu infinite.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
ZeRo was outplayed by Nairo another top level player. How did the meta shift? Because ZeRo lost to ZSS using both Sheik and Diddy?

I don't understand this terror Smash Bros. players have regarding the meta "stagnating." It's never good enough that we have 50+ characters and at least 4 (Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville, Town and City) viable stages, we need MORE. It's always about more, as though more is automatically good and people will not be satisfied until EVO grand finals is decided when Donkey Kong's up B windbox sends Lightweight Palutena into the cannonball on Halberd and KO's her at 20%.

The meta is not going to stagnate unless literally everyone is playing Sheik, Zero Suit, and Rosalina on Smashville. We don't need Rosalina lasers, Fox KO'ing off the top at 60%, Green Sonic, Villager timing out, Tornado Kong, and tazer Pikachu for this game to be interesting or develop.

The whole customs thing upsets me because of the way Palutena was designed with them in mind. She isn't going anywhere in the meta now that Super Speed, Lightweight, etc are gone. Her best player Aerolink hasn't exactly dropped her but he's been playing Diddy and Rosalina more to make up for the loss of her customs. Ultimately I blame Sakurai more for all of this than I do the community.

JulianImp

The whole customs thing upsets me because of the way Palutena was designed with them in mind. She isn't going anywhere in the meta now that Super Speed, Lightweight, etc are gone. Her best player Aerolink hasn't exactly dropped her but he's been playing Diddy and Rosalina more to make up for the loss of her customs. Ultimately I blame Sakurai more for all of this than I do the community.

Yup, that one is particularily weird since her whole gimmick was having all twelve specials available from the get-go (a trait she only shares with mii fighters). As if that weren't enough, I'd say her default specials are some of the more boring attacks in her repertoire. Regardless of power levels her deflector, counter and teleport felt a bit too same-y compared to other characters' moves, while most of her other alternatives feel a lot more creative.

Yup, that one is particularily weird since her whole gimmick was having all twelve specials available from the get-go (a trait she only shares with mii fighters). As if that weren't enough, I'd say her default specials are some of the more boring attacks in her repertoire. Regardless of power levels her deflector, counter and teleport felt a bit too same-y compared to other characters' moves, while most of her other alternatives feel a lot more creative.
Well, see that kinda factors in how much they betted on customs being a thing when they made her. In a lot of games with customizable load outs and such you typically start off with generic or "weak" equipment before you get the zanier stuff. In TF2 before you're chopping off people's heads with the Eyelander, you're using fairly standard and normal weapons in terms of design and stats.

Oidisco

I really really hate customs so I'm glad nobody uses them anymore. I thought they could've been really cool, but most of them ended up being pretty boring and useless. It's a shame that certain characters like Palutena and Samus suffer from a lack of customs, but it's worth it to not have deal with Villager timing out, Cyclone Kong or Sheik breaking shields with needles.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

I agree 100%. Why should Palutena be gated since customs were her big thing.

Guess my main big issue is Bowser Klaw whiffing and Dash slash being too good.

Hylian7

I really wish they would have made a special exception for Palutena in FG mode to use custom moves (but not stat items obviously).

I also think they could have adapted Mii Fighters to have generic faces online, that way you don't see Hitlers everywhere.

I really wish they would have made a special exception for Palutena in FG mode to use custom moves (but not stat items obviously).

I also think they could have adapted Mii Fighters to have generic faces online, that way you don't see Hitlers everywhere.
Honestly, all they had to do was make Mii Fighters and custom specials toggleable options in With Anyone. That's how Tourney Mode does it, some tourneys there allow for usage of Miis (Hitler faces and all) and customs in addition to standard brackets and stuff.

Oidisco

Does Samus really benefit that much from customs? I think the Mii Fighters would of been a better example, or Ganondorf.

Slower Missiles and Charge Beam were good for stage control and you could get kills by grabing your opponent and letting the charge beam hit them.

Apex Screw attack kills very early and it's not really any worse for recovery than the standard Screw Attack. And tripping bombs had there uses. Made your recovery a little worse but it's a big deal.

Cronox

Banned
I am trying to do it after every match - it only takes a moment.

Also, I talked to my student about the whole maturity thing from your post a while ago - you were spot on.

I find it stifling to be obliged to flash to GG after every match. Sometimes it wasn't a good game either. I need to make a NowImSalty tag or something, but that's probably 1 letter too long. I show that I'm not a dick by not taunting and not fucking with them in the match, for me that's generally enough.

The student who was the "good kid" that we talked about in the birth placenta thread?

JulianImp

I'll play in about 10 minutes or so if you don't mind waiting

Well I'm ready now if you want to play

Sorry, but stuff came up and only now I'm available to play again.

And yes, I remember the time I tried Ness' Lucas-fied PK Fire, and man it was so crappy without the reduced lag and momentum change Lucas' has.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I find it stifling to be obliged to flash to GG after every match. Sometimes it wasn't a good game either. I need to make a NowImSalty tag or something, but that's probably 1 letter too long. I show that I'm not a dick by not taunting and not fucking with them in the match, for me that's generally enough.

Just pretend GG stands for Git Gud

JulianImp

Okay, I guess I'm giving up on playing today (just in case anyone else shows up later). Sorry for not replying to your invitation in time, Oidi.

Even if I find FF VII to be slightly overrated and Cloud is far from my favorite FF character, I am so friggin' hyped for him coming to Smash. Midgar looks like it's going to be one of the best, most fun stages in the game as well, DLC or not. I'm certainly not dropping Mega Man, but I may have a new secondary in Cloud... can't wait to try him out.

Ness' customs suck so I don't care, lol

Villager is good with or without customs, so I don't mind. I'm not gonna lie and say I don't enjoy tormenting people with Trip Sapling though. I just want Ryu and the other characters to have custom moves. I already have all of Ryu's custom moves perfectly envisioned.

Top Bottom