• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

goldenpp72

Anyone interested in doing 2 on 2 or 4 player FFA? Let me know and I can setup a room, got one already so could use 2 more if interested, message me here. NNID is goldenpp72

Damn, almost won without Shadow Ball. :-/

Edit: GGs man. Bowser is definitely Mewtwo's hardest matchup among your characters. Stick with him.

Alright I am getting tired. But good practice.

Very enjoyable.

That volcano kick was weird.
It has a small hitbox behind it. I have trouble with big, dumb, strong moves like that utilt and Flare Blitz. My brain just doesn't compute well.

Very fun. If you get tired of Mewtwo, let me know and I can swap to Jiggs.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It has a small hitbox behind it. I have trouble with big, dumb, strong moves like that utilt and Flare Blitz. My brain just doesn't compute well.

Very fun. If you get tired of Mewtwo, let me know and I can swap to Jiggs.

I'm stubborn. So you play who you want.

Stick with Bowser eh. Against your Mewtwo I feel like I get my ass kicked. Bowser is so susceptible to Disable and projectiles once more are difficult for me to handle.

I was doing okay with Zard though. Surprised I got so many Flares off on you.

I can seemingly only win with Ganon in a Ganoncide.

The Mewtwo mirrors were hilarious though, you were pretty much "GTFO you poser".

Cronox

Banned
Anyone interested in doing 2 on 2 or 4 player FFA? Let me know and I can setup a room, got one already so could use 2 more if interested, message me here. NNID is goldenpp72

Get on the smashGAF discord chat, easier to coordinate from there. The invite in one of Karst's posts earlier today should still work (quote it for the link). While I don't like to see a dead thread, it's where we've all gone.

I'm stubborn. So you play who you want.

Stick with Bowser eh. Against your Mewtwo I feel like I get my ass kicked. Bowser is so susceptible to Disable and projectiles once more are difficult for me to handle.

I was doing okay with Zard though. Surprised I got so many Flares off on you.

I can seemingly only win with Ganon in a Ganoncide.

The Mewtwo mirrors were hilarious though, you were pretty much "GTFO you poser".

The Ganoncides wouldn't be happening if I weren't trying to be fancy. :p In a real match, I wouldn't go for a Dair against Ganondorf.

I think your Bowser approach is really limited and impatient. Lots of rolling into Shadow Ball to try and Fortress, and not much else. I don't think you've evolved your Bowser play much over time. Not even one use of Fire Breath or a SHAD! Once I noticed that you go for a Down B or Dair 100% of the time, your Bowser became much more manageable. Still, Ganondorf has a long and painful battle against Mewtwo due to his slow speed. Mewtwo's matchups are pretty much defined by the speed of his opponent.

I think you like to take too many risks to be a Mewtwo player. He's only competent in the hands of someone who is fine with playing a very slow and carefully managed game.

More Mewtwos need to use Disable. It is criminally underused and it actually annoys me how people don't know it.
I <3 Disable. I can't believe Mewtwo players on Smashboards bitch about the move. The only real problem it has is that it could use a little more priority (trades too often even on reads), and it's BS that you can't B-reverse it.

I <3 Disable. I can't believe Mewtwo players on Smashboards bitch about the move. The only real problem it has is that it could use a little more priority (trades too often even on reads), and it's BS that you can't B-reverse it.

One of my friends uses Mewtwo on the side, and I can't keep track of how many times I've died due to Disable. It DID lead to a hilarious moment where I absorbed it with Focus Attack and got the crumple into True SRK, lol

One of my friends uses Mewtwo on the side, and I can't keep track of how many times I've died due to Disable. It DID lead to a hilarious moment where I absorbed it with Focus Attack and got the crumple into True SRK, lol
My main kill method is jab into Disable. SO GOOD.

I probably wouldn't use it against Villager often, though. Too scared of it getting pocketed. :-/

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The Ganoncides wouldn't be happening if I weren't trying to be fancy. :p In a real match, I wouldn't go for a Dair against Ganondorf.

I think your Bowser approach is really limited and impatient. Lots of rolling into Shadow Ball to try and Fortress, and not much else. I don't think you've evolved your Bowser play much over time. Not even one use of Fire Breath or a SHAD! Once I noticed that you go for a Down B or Dair 100% of the time, your Bowser became much more manageable. Still, Ganondorf has a long and painful battle against Mewtwo due to his slow speed. Mewtwo's matchups are pretty much defined by the speed of his opponent.

I think you like to take too many risks to be a Mewtwo player. He's only competent in the hands of someone who is fine with playing a very slow and carefully managed game.

Well like I said it's been a while for me. And I screw around with Fire Shot a lot.

I avoided customs since you don't really like em that much.

I'll need to practice up my Bowser and Ganon next time I play.

Really good Mewtwo play though.

Well like I said it's been a while for me. And I screw around with Fire Shot a lot.

I avoided customs since you don't really like em that much.

I'll need to practice up my Bowser and Ganon next time I play.

Really good Mewtwo play though.
Yeah, I just think that customs aren't good for the game. I don't think Bowser makes much sense with customs, for example. I think they generally lower quality of play because they are so good in some instances.

Thank you for the Mewtwo compliment. One thing I really had to adjust to was your inclination to go for Fair even when you were flying back and at a disadvantage.

Haha, sure. I could use experience in general, since I'll probably be rusty as hell.

<3
Most folks are on Discord chat now. Scroll up for the link in one of my posts.

Alright Karst, because I'm bored on a Saturday night I'm gonna write up what my dream customs for Ryu would be.

But first comes a sandwich. Because Sandwiches > Smash.

Boy, GAF is slow tonight.

Also, full disclosure: the following customs are what I'd want from a design/flavor standpoint. Ryu is already a solid enough character that I feel he doesn't need any customs, so it's best not to think about my choices re: balance.

Standard B
Custom 1: Gadoken

tgzEZ1A.gif

"Stronger than the Hadoken, but with pitifully short range. Inputting the command will let it travel slightly farther."
- I figure that since Akuma and Ken's fireballs aren't really different enough from Ryu's (flavor-wise), I'd start with the GOAT. Ryu's no stranger to aping other shoto's styles anyways (see: MvC1), so him having Gadoken isn't completely out of the realm of possibilities.

Custom 2: Denjin Hadoken

z1mRa6a.gif

"A weaker and shorter projectile that you can charge to stun your foes! Inputting the command will shorten the charge time slightly."
- Before you start to raise issues about balance, bear in mind that the charge time I had in mind was fairly long (probably longer than ZSS' paralyzer). The stun would be longer to compensate.

Side B
Custom 1: Ken's Tatsumaki

*Visually there's nothing different, so no gif here sorry*

"Slightly weaker, but multi-hitting, spinning kicks. Input the command for more range, power, and strikes."
- I almost went with Ken's Tatsu from the Vs. series, but felt it'd be too wacky (for reference, it moves in a diagonally upwards arc). I'd use this one almost exclusively since it'd be better for escaping, but the normal Tatsu is still fine.

Custom 2: Shunpukyaku (Sakura's version)

5Ko1rm5.gif

"A short hop forward with legs spinning. Hitting with the last kick will knock the wind out of your opponent! Input the command for more range, height, and stunning power."
- Yes, it's Sakura's version. And no, I couldn't find a slower gif. Basically the kick would have no real knockback on the ground, but a ton of hitstun to make up for it. I wanted to keep the comboability (is that a word lol) of Sakura's version from all of her appearances. The hitstun would be big (particularly for the true version), but not so big that you're just stuck there. You'd have time to run up and do a move, and that'd be it. No stalling for time.

Up B
Custom 1: Ken's Shoryuken

wRQ25v5.gif

"A wide-range, fiery, multi-hitting uppercut! Inputting the command increases the damage and launching power, while lessening the time Ryu recovers after landing."
- The blurb makes it seem like it's already superior to the default SRK, but the launching power would be in the final hit, and only in the "true" version. Again, I mainly picked it because it looks cool, not so much for utility. The reduced recovery time is mainly for flavor since Ken always has next to no frames of recovery for his SRKs :p

Custom 2: Koryuken

YBjhw1q.gif

"Slightly weaker than normal, with a 1-in-8 chance of being completely invincible with tremendous launching power! Inputting the command increases the damage."
- ...ok, so we're back to the Dan well again. The inspiration for this is completely taken from Luigi's Green Missile, I won't even lie. Dan HAS had his SRK have this "feature" before, however. Not the knockback/damage, but the invincibility. Randomly, he would flash white briefly which would signify that he was completely invincible. Not much explanation needed beyond that!

Down B
Custom 1: Red Focus Attack

HxRO4jd.gif

"Ryu will absorb any amount of hits, but will deal less damage and knockback with the next attack."
- This is one that I really looked forward to, and one that I could see myself using for real. It'd make matchups against characters with mutlihit attacks more bearable with a decent tradeoff. It also matches with the current mechanics of Red FA, trading combo damage/scaling for infinite armor. I didn't include the insta-crumple because that would just be too outrageous.

Custom 2: Kongoshin (Gouken's counter)

wHEa1da.png

*Couldn't find a good enough quality gif, sorry*

"Ready yourself for an incoming attack, and strike back!"
- ...it's a counter. Hey, they can't all be gold. ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Yesterday I got to play In a tournament at our gamestop. I've learned that toon link is my new nemesis as WFT.....Damn his height! Too many close calls vs him. But what took me out was a Mario player, with the worst way to lose.....being hit with your own projectile. My brain farted for some reason I forgot he could use the cape while off stage.

Still the tournament was fun and I wish there were more local ones close by.

Made it 4th place from 32 players. And once again I was the only WFT and Palutena player. :x

Boy, GAF is slow tonight.

Also, full disclosure: the following customs are what I'd want from a design/flavor standpoint. Ryu is already a solid enough character that I feel he doesn't need any customs, so it's best not to think about my choices re: balance.

Standard B
Custom 1: Gadoken

tgzEZ1A.gif

"Stronger than the Hadoken, but with pitifully short range. Inputting the command will let it travel slightly farther."
- I figure that since Akuma and Ken's fireballs aren't really different enough from Ryu's (flavor-wise), I'd start with the GOAT. Ryu's no stranger to aping other shoto's styles anyways (see: MvC1), so him having Gadoken isn't completely out of the realm of possibilities.

Custom 2: Denjin Hadoken

z1mRa6a.gif

"A weaker and shorter projectile that you can charge to stun your foes! Inputting the command will shorten the charge time slightly."
- Before you start to raise issues about balance, bear in mind that the charge time I had in mind was fairly long (probably longer than ZSS' paralyzer). The stun would be longer to compensate.

Side B
Custom 1: Ken's Tatsumaki

*Visually there's nothing different, so no gif here sorry*

"Slightly weaker, but multi-hitting, spinning kicks. Input the command for more range, power, and strikes."
- I almost went with Ken's Tatsu from the Vs. series, but felt it'd be too wacky (for reference, it moves in a diagonally upwards arc). I'd use this one almost exclusively since it'd be better for escaping, but the normal Tatsu is still fine.

Custom 2: Shunpukyaku (Sakura's version)

5Ko1rm5.gif

"A short hop forward with legs spinning. Hitting with the last kick will knock the wind out of your opponent! Input the command for more range, height, and stunning power."
- Yes, it's Sakura's version. And no, I couldn't find a slower gif. Basically the kick would have no real knockback on the ground, but a ton of hitstun to make up for it. I wanted to keep the comboability (is that a word lol) of Sakura's version from all of her appearances. The hitstun would be big (particularly for the true version), but not so big that you're just stuck there. You'd have time to run up and do a move, and that'd be it. No stalling for time.

Up B
Custom 1: Ken's Shoryuken

wRQ25v5.gif

"A wide-range, fiery, multi-hitting uppercut! Inputting the command increases the damage and launching power, while lessening the time Ryu recovers after landing."
- The blurb makes it seem like it's already superior to the default SRK, but the launching power would be in the final hit, and only in the "true" version. Again, I mainly picked it because it looks cool, not so much for utility. The reduced recovery time is mainly for flavor since Ken always has next to no frames of recovery for his SRKs :p

Custom 2: Koryuken

YBjhw1q.gif

"Slightly weaker than normal, with a 1-in-8 chance of being completely invincible with tremendous launching power! Inputting the command increases the damage."
- ...ok, so we're back to the Dan well again. The inspiration for this is completely taken from Luigi's Green Missile, I won't even lie. Dan HAS had his SRK have this "feature" before, however. Not the knockback/damage, but the invincibility. Randomly, he would flash white briefly which would signify that he was completely invincible. Not much explanation needed beyond that!

Down B
Custom 1: Red Focus Attack

HxRO4jd.gif

"Ryu will absorb any amount of hits, but will deal less damage and knockback with the next attack."
- This is one that I really looked forward to, and one that I could see myself using for real. It'd make matchups against characters with mutlihit attacks more bearable with a decent tradeoff. It also matches with the current mechanics of Red FA, trading combo damage/scaling for infinite armor. I didn't include the insta-crumple because that would just be too outrageous.

Custom 2: Kongoshin (Gouken's counter)

wHEa1da.png

*Couldn't find a good enough quality gif, sorry*

"Ready yourself for an incoming attack, and strike back!"
- ...it's a counter. Hey, they can't all be gold. ¯_(&#12484;)_/¯

Not big on the stun fireball. Would rather have Akuma fireball for the aerial version.

JulianImp

Not big on the stun fireball. Would rather have Akuma fireball for the aerial version.

Oh, that'd be cool. Then how long you hold A/B could determine the angle.

By the way, is there any way for Ryu to reverse command specials in midair?

I might be available to play in a while (probably an hour from now) if anyone's interested.

JulianImp

Having Akuma's air fireball would do nothing for the ground one though, which is entirely what I ad in mind. It'd be useless.

No, the commands assume you're facing the current direction.

It could always work like a charge fireball on the ground, even though that might add a bit too much complexity. Then there're the shakunetsus, which you haven't covered and would probably have to change depending on your custom hadoken. Having Dan's super gadoken (was it hao gadoken?) and it knocking Ryu back a fair bit would be hilarious (and possibly another way to get back onstage more easily when facing the wrong way).

It could always work like a charge fireball on the ground, even though that might add a bit too much complexity. Then there're the shakunetsus, which you haven't covered and would probably have to change depending on your custom hadoken. Having Dan's super gadoken (was it hao gadoken?) and it knocking Ryu back a fair bit would be hilarious (and possibly another way to get back onstage more easily when facing the wrong way).

I didn't choose them for usefulness, though.

Top Bottom