• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Is this for real?
It might also be to counteract potential online lag a little too, not necessarily just controller differences. I think Soul Calibur 4 had something similar and in that the buffer was present offline or online probably so you wouldn't feel the difference as much / would get used to it. Namco worked on both that and this so... :p

There might be a moment of input lag, but it's NOT 7 frames, I can assure you that. Maybe like, 2, but certainly not 7. The game would feel like shit if it was 7.

7 frames is 112ms, which is getting north of Killzone 2's 200ms, which was WIDELY noticeable and criticized, when aiming (which on a control stick isn't precise enough to feel lag as easily as other things).

There might be a moment of input lag, but it's NOT 7 frames, I can assure you that. Maybe like, 2, but certainly not 7. The game would feel like shit if it was 7.

7 frames is 112ms, which is getting north of Killzone 2's 200ms, which was WIDELY noticeable and criticized, when aiming (which on a control stick isn't precise enough to feel lag as easily as other things).
Keep in mind that the video states it's not to show how many frames it takes, but rather to show the difference in frames between the controllers. I don't believe they're claiming there's a universal 7 frame buffer :3

In my defense, I'm just going off a memory of me watching the video like a month or so ago, so I'm obviously not the most reliable source. :p

Well, even if there was a, say, 1-frame delay the buffer in this game really helps to mitigate the disadvantage of that. If you had such a delay in a game like Melee with its complete lack of buffer, you'd see a bit less 20XX out there.

Why is that guy too stupid to air dodge after Confusion?

Edit: Still, I'd like to see the full match since Nairo is using Mewtwo.

I'd like to imagine it's the equivalent of Fox extending a combo by using Reflector. It's such an unexpected option that you become too taken back by surprise to properly react to what comes next.

I mean come on, tell me that Confusion didn't look like Nairo flipped Mewtwo in Photoshop

The concept of using confusion as part of a combo would leave me awestruck if it was done to me. A literal "Did he just do that?" moment.

Nairo tapping into that 2017 metagame.

Found the full match if anyone wants to see it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTcjn-aetuY

Because who the fuck uses Confusion in midair as part of an attack string
I'd like to imagine it's the equivalent of Fox extending a combo by using Reflector. It's such an unexpected option that you become too taken back by surprise to properly react to what comes next.

I mean come on, tell me that Confusion didn't look like Nairo flipped Mewtwo in Photoshop
It definitely looked cool. I'm just saying that it's really easy to escape. That Megaman player was down a full stock...

Brb gonna try out my bad Mewtwo.
Stick with Bowser. :p

Decided to check out a Zelda v Sonic replay see if there's anything I can grab to improve my horribad sonic MU.

I was rewarded with a very very horrible play of sonic rolling everywhere and zelda teleporting everywhere trying to chase...

jnWake

How did he do that flip Confusion? Just like B-reversing Neutral B? Sounds hard haha.

Oidisco

Decided to check out a Zelda v Sonic replay see if there's anything I can grab to improve my horribad sonic MU.

I was rewarded with a very very horrible play of sonic rolling everywhere and zelda teleporting everywhere trying to chase...

I think Sonic is a contender for Zelda's worst matchup. Makes me wish I had saved that match I played against Seagull Joe. He beat me, but it was very very close and I want to see what I was doing right.

Metal B

An important Question, since i got destroyed by a Meta Knight online:
Can you actually escape a Aerial-Up-A combo or do you have to prey, that your opponent messes up? Because this looks like a freaking game-breaker for me, since i got killed with 40%!

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Can you actually escape a Aerial-Up-A combo or do you have to prey, that your opponent messes up? Because this looks like a freaking game-breaker for me, since i got killed with 40%!

Could be a gamebreaker if the MK knows if you'll fastfall or not.

Oidisco

I'd imagine some floaty characters can escape but fast-fallers are screwed. It's just something you have to deal with.

I think Sonic is a contender for Zelda's worst matchup. Makes me wish I had saved that match I played against Seagull Joe. He beat me, but it was very very close and I want to see what I was doing right.

At least for me, absolute worst matchup. It's the only matchup where being 2 stocked easily against FG scrubs is a very real possibility. No clue how to deal with various things sonic can do.

JulianImp

At least for me, absolute worst matchup. It's the only matchup where being 2 stocked easily against FG scrubs is a very real possibility. No clue how to deal with various things sonic can do.

I could possibly brush off my not-so-main-anymore Sonic if you wanted some practice against him next time we play. I guess I'd give you a slightly bigger challenge than random FG people while still not being anywhere near playing him at a good level, competitive-wise.

Hylian7

THE PEOPLE IN FG THAT RELY ON FUCKING SUDDEN DEATH ARE THE CANCER KILLING THIS GAME.

I just played against a Villager as Palutena, both of us down to 1 stock, he's at about 25% and I'm at 0%, 2:30 left, so he just starts roll dodging all over the place. Of course I have a difficult time hitting him, and I know exactly what he's trying to do: He sees he's behind and just wants to run out the clock and win during SD by some bullshit.

I'm trying desperately to fight online latency to hit this fucker, manage to get him to 98% but can't land a good smash attack on him, and then I try to get him in the air and miss my input and die.

God fuck people that rely on SD, SD is so shitty.

THE PEOPLE IN FG THAT RELY ON FUCKING SUDDEN DEATH ARE THE CANCER KILLING THIS GAME.

I just played against a Villager as Palutena, both of us down to 1 stock, he's at about 25% and I'm at 0%, 2:30 left, so he just starts roll dodging all over the place. Of course I have a difficult time hitting him, and I know exactly what he's trying to do: He sees he's behind and just wants to run out the clock and win during SD by some bullshit.

I'm trying desperately to fight online latency to hit this fucker, manage to get him to 98% but can't land a good smash attack on him, and then I try to get him in the air and miss my input and die.

God fuck people that rely on SD, SD is so shitty.

Use her Reflect more. He literally has no options against it. No offensive ones, at least.

Also time out victories are da best

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Nintendo Workers:

Just found a glitch for Pirate Ship with Jigglypuff's Rollout.

When I charged my rollout and when I approached to someone's shield and it happens at slop of Pirate Ship then suddenly it send me to death. We tested it again and it happens twice!

jwillenn

SD is so shitty.

Here's an idea you might like. Don't play the SD, whether up or down. I'm to the point I just drop out of SDs. If you want to say you "won" according to tournament rules, fine. Whatever. This online **** is just a "training mode" to me anyway.

FSLink

Banned
Here's an idea you might like. Don't play the SD, whether up or down. I'm to the point I just drop out of SDs. If you want to say you "won" according to tournament rules, fine. Whatever. This online **** is just a "training mode" to me anyway.

Yeah I don't give a fuck about win rates online, it's just a sandbox for me to test things out against a lot of bad players.

Timing out is pretty lame, considering Villager definitely has the tools to win, the character is considered high tier. I feel like those sorts of people are passing up plenty of actually-efficient and effective strategies for no other reason than "well I can slingshot and ledgecamp all day, why bother doing anything else?" But then again, "Why play video games when you can NOT play video games?"

RomanceDawn

I main DK, Bowser and Charizard. They each can do a few things that help with the MU but the general speed difference used to make this matchup impossible for me. One day Karst said something like everyone likes to do what they like to do, when Sonic rushes you with either Spin Dashes just wait and see what he/she likes to do afterward and then react to that, shielding a spin dash means he can't hurt you and you can't hurt him.

That bit of advice helped me tremendously. Just today I was playing a Sonic who loved to use all the fake outs, spin dash charge into shield or jump and all those little Sonic specific tricks in between. Initially I would fake me out and got me to 80 before my DK could land a single hit, as soon as I just remembered the advice he couldn't handle me at all. Well some games came close but I 2 stocked him with Bowser and he finally quit without a word.

With my characters I can't chase Sonic and with Zelda I can only imagine the same is true. I space and try to bait attacks like Shamrock does and make him approach me. Sonic's have to approach anyway and I imagine they love rushing in an speed blitzing people. Use that to your advantage.

--

I played a Mewtwo who stringed a combo on me like that MegaMan. Just the fact that he could combo confusion from other moves in mid air really took me by surprise. After that guy beat me pretty good my Mewtwo game went way up. Not that any of my games are particularly high but I no longer feel absolutely helpless when I use Mewtwo now.

Top Bottom