• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Dlc characters should have them considering I paid for them and everyone else has customs so you got less content then the rest of em.

Villager is good with or without customs, so I don't mind. I'm not gonna lie and say I don't enjoy tormenting people with Trip Sapling though. I just want Ryu and the other characters to have custom moves. I already have all of Ryu's custom moves perfectly envisioned.
Join the fighting game fan fiction club and share.

Hey there folks. So absorbed into AmiiboGAF Line chat that I forget to check in here from time to time, haha.

Anyone down for some fights? I'm free, currently.

The last patch consisted almost nothing but changes to customs, so it's not like they're being totally overlooked by the balance team. Hell, the patch prior to that got rid of the infamous Pikachu infinite.
These changes were 99% alterations such as "this attack does 0.5% more damage". Nothing changed with any of the customs that make the game poorly balanced at that level.

ZeRo was outplayed by Nairo another top level player. How did the meta shift? Because ZeRo lost to ZSS using both Sheik and Diddy?
The meta shifted because it demonstrated that Sheik might not be top dog anymore, and Diddy might not be either.

I don't understand this terror Smash Bros. players have regarding the meta "stagnating." It's never good enough that we have 50+ characters and at least 4 (Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville, Town and City) viable stages, we need MORE. It's always about more, as though more is automatically good and people will not be satisfied until EVO grand finals is decided when Donkey Kong's up B windbox sends Lightweight Palutena into the cannonball on Halberd and KO's her at 20%.

The meta is not going to stagnate unless literally everyone is playing Sheik, Zero Suit, and Rosalina on Smashville. We don't need Rosalina lasers, Fox KO'ing off the top at 60%, Green Sonic, Villager timing out, Tornado Kong, and tazer Pikachu for this game to be interesting or develop.
Fighting games die when they are figured out. Common knowledge.

The whole customs thing upsets me because of the way Palutena was designed with them in mind. She isn't going anywhere in the meta now that Super Speed, Lightweight, etc are gone. Her best player Aerolink hasn't exactly dropped her but he's been playing Diddy and Rosalina more to make up for the loss of her customs. Ultimately I blame Sakurai more for all of this than I do the community.
Palutena wasn't designed for customs any more than she was designed for equipment. It's not Sakurai to figure out whether these are intended for competitive play or not.

I really really hate customs so I'm glad nobody uses them anymore. I thought they could've been really cool, but most of them ended up being pretty boring and useless. It's a shame that certain characters like Palutena and Samus suffer from a lack of customs, but it's worth it to not have deal with Villager timing out, Cyclone Kong or Sheik breaking shields with needles.
Palutena suffers from being Palutena, not from a lack of customs. Her moveset is trash, and customs just give her overpowered gimmicks to spam.

I agree 100%. Why should Palutena be gated since customs were her big thing.

Guess my main big issue is Bowser Klaw whiffing and Dash slash being too good.
Because customs can provide unfair matchup advantages. Customs let Palutena choose whether she wants a great Reflect against Mewtwo, or, if she is playing against Ike, she can choose Super Speed instead. It's not okay for one character to be able to counterpick opponents while no one else can.

Have you tried Dash Slash with the new patch? I wonder how safe it is on block.

Does Samus really benefit that much from customs? I think the Mii Fighters would of been a better example, or Ganondorf.
The toppest of tiers gain the most benefit.

Cloud pretty much has Customs built into his LB mechanic.
What? No.

I find it stifling to be obliged to flash to GG after every match. Sometimes it wasn't a good game either. I need to make a NowImSalty tag or something, but that's probably 1 letter too long. I show that I'm not a dick by not taunting and not fucking with them in the match, for me that's generally enough.

The student who was the "good kid" that we talked about in the birth placenta thread?
I don't find it stifling because it's not an obligation, it's something I'm glad to do.

Make your tag "IRSALT" or "IMSALTY"

Yeah, the "good kid".

Even if I find FF VII to be slightly overrated and Cloud is far from my favorite FF character, I am so friggin' hyped for him coming to Smash. Midgar looks like it's going to be one of the best, most fun stages in the game as well, DLC or not. I'm certainly not dropping Mega Man, but I may have a new secondary in Cloud... can't wait to try him out.
I sent you another PM. :p

Hey there folks. So absorbed into AmiiboGAF Line chat that I forget to check in here from time to time, haha.

Anyone down for some fights? I'm free, currently.
Join the smashGaf Discord chat, we've been carrying out most of our matchmaking in there as of late. :)

Anyone wanna post a link by the way? I'm on mobile and therefore too lazy to do it myself.

These changes were 99% alterations such as "this attack does 0.5% more damage". Nothing changed with any of the customs that make the game poorly balanced at that level.

At the very least, it shows that they do seem to be considering customs when it comes to balance. I know Timber Counter and such haven't been nerfed but to be fair, Sheik hasn't been either.

Palutena wasn't designed for customs any more than she was designed for equipment. It's not Sakurai to figure out whether these are intended for competitive play or not.

Palutena suffers from being Palutena, not from a lack of customs. Her moveset is trash, and customs just give her overpowered gimmicks to spam.

What do you mean by that, exactly? A lot of the writing on the wall suggests Palutena was intended to be played with her customs. She has them all from the start, her trophy explicitly mentions that "She's very adaptable—you can customize her into a long- or close-range fighter!", and her customs are the only ones (besides the Mii Fighters) that even appear in the in-game loading tips (under the Fighters section). I don't understand the equipment comment.

As for Palu's normals, she still has good aerials, a jab and even her dash attack is pretty handy due to its fast startup and invincibility, despite its endlag. In that sense it's only really her smashes and tilts that are an issue, and honestly with customs on it kinda makes sense: She's a bit like Sonic in that she gains crazy mobility and is generally hard to keep up with. However, unlike Sonic, she can actually be punished if you're careless.

Because customs can provide unfair matchup advantages. Customs let Palutena choose whether she wants a great Reflect against Mewtwo, or, if she is playing against Ike, she can choose Super Speed instead. It's not okay for one character to be able to counterpick opponents while no one else can.

Is it an unfair advantage that Rosalina has a Luma partner or Mac having a KO meter?

Also, it's not just Palutena, a lot of people want Mii Fighters to have all their specials as well. They're probably actually better off than Palutena because they can still use their stuff even when customs are off.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The meta shifted because it demonstrated that Sheik might not be top dog anymore, and Diddy might not be either.

Have you tried Dash Slash with the new patch? I wonder how safe it is on block.

Except ZSS was always up there on the tier list next to Diddy and Sheik so what is it really proving in the long run? All I'm seeing is Nairo simply had a favorable situation and won the deciding match. Is it a shift in the meta? Probably. But a major shift I think is pretty bold to say. Maybe a slight shift.

--------------

You don't play Bowser anymore? I would assume the new mechanics would make Dash Slash >Dtilt or any standard attack pretty great.

Although I tend to use Fire Shot more now since it's hitboxes were increased a bit and does as much damage as a Jab 1.

Though I may play with a feinting idea with the standard Fire Breath.

But you play Mewtwo who doesn't need to worry about custom moves as much since he doesn't have any. They better fix his grab against small people next patch.

I'm probably going to be one of many that picks up Cloud Strife though. The LB mechanic has potential to be borderline broken.

You're already there if it's in your head, you're just too scared to share. ;-)

At the very least, it shows that they do seem to be considering customs when it comes to balance. I know Timber Counter and such haven't been nerfed but to be fair, Sheik hasn't been either.
Sheik has been nerfed a ton. Almost every patch has toned her down in some way. Higher landing lag, weaker hitboxes, weaker KO moves, etc. Yeah, Sakurai has kind of failed to address what makes her OP, but let's not pretend she has been ignored. Also, the shield stun changes are absolutely a disadvantageous change to Sheik.

What do you mean by that, exactly? A lot of the writing on the wall suggests Palutena was intended to be played with her customs. She has them all from the start, her trophy explicitly mentions that "She's very adaptable—you can customize her into a long- or close-range fighter!", and her customs are the only ones (besides the Mii Fighters) that even appear in the in-game loading tips (under the Fighters section). I don't understand the equipment comment.
Sakurai is doing this all for casual play - it has nothing to do with tournaments. If Palutena were especially designed to always have customs used, then you wouldn't be able to turn them off. Instead, she's on the same toggle everyone else is. The simple fact is that Palutena is Sakurai's creation, so he gave her a lot more love in the customs department than most other characters. That's it. It's not an argument for anything, and I say that as a former Palutena secondary.

As for Palu's normals, she still has good aerials, a jab and even her dash attack is pretty handy due to its fast startup and invincibility, despite its endlag. In that sense it's only really her smashes and tilts that are an issue, and honestly with customs on it kinda makes sense: She's kind of like Sonic in that she gains crazy mobility and is generally hard to keep up with. However, unlike Sonic, she can actually be punished if you're careless.
She's supposed to be a defensive character, but she has no actual offensive tools without taking a huge gamble. Autoreticle would need a significant buff for her gameplan to work.

Is it an unfair advantage that Rosalina has a Luma partner or Mac having a KO meter?
This has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation. There isn't even option to turn these things "off". They're clearly intentional and part of the whole character. Customs aren't.

Also, it's not just Palutena, a lot of people want Mii Fighters to have all their specials as well. They're probably actually better off than Palutena because they can still use their stuff even when customs are off.
Good for them.

Except ZSS was always up there on the tier list next to Diddy and Sheik so what is it really proving in the long run? All I'm seeing is Nairo simply had a favorable situation and won the deciding match. Is it a shift in the meta? Probably. But a major shift I think is pretty bold to say. Maybe a slight shift.
I never said "major" shift, so I'm fine with that.

You don't play Bowser anymore? I would assume the new mechanics would make Dash Slash >Dtilt or any standard attack pretty great.
Once in a great while I'll pick him to scrub stomp after someone calls me a spammer for playing Mewtwo. Mewtwo is who I play 99% of the time these days - I do very well with him.

Although I tend to use Fire Shot more now since it's hitboxes were increased a bit and does as much damage as a Jab 1.
I can't stand its transient property.

Though I may play with a feinting idea with the standard Fire Breath.
Still the best IMO. Best edge guard tool in the game - no one can escape it.

But you play Mewtwo who doesn't need to worry about custom moves as much since he doesn't have any. They better fix his grab against small people next patch.
I'm indifferent to Mewtwo not having custom moves. I started not wanting customs when I was still a Bowser main - I don't think I'm biased in this.

I'm probably going to be one of many that picks up Cloud Strife though. The LB mechanic has potential to be borderline broken.
I doubt I'll give up Mewtwo for anyone at this point. Maybe Ridley, but he's never joining Smash. I've made my peace with maining a low tier character. I've helped saltify thousands. ;-)

We should really play sometime this next week. I'd like to show you my Mewtwo. Though Bowser is in my top 10 hardest matchups with him.

Let's be honest, how many here really believe they'll main Cloud after the first two days of "OMG Cloud is so good!"

We had similar hype for every other DLC character in the past, and most of us just went back to our regular characters. I personally look forward to the balance patch that will ship out with Cloud. It's sure to be a gamechanger after the shieldstun patch.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Let's be honest, how many here really believe they'll main Cloud after the first two days of "OMG Cloud is so good!"

We had similar hype for every other DLC character in the past, and most of us just went back to our regular characters. I personally look forward to the balance patch that will ship out with Cloud. It's sure to be a gamechanger after the shieldstun patch.

Greatswords man.

--------------------

If you are free tomorrow evening Karst I'll play you but it's been months.

Greatswords man.

--------------------

If you are free tomorrow evening Karst I'll play you but it's been months.
I will try to make it happen. No judgment, I just want you to have nice things to say about Mewtwo on Smashboards. ;)

I only ever hyped up one character, and he is my main now. :p

Popularity will prevent me from maining Cloud.

Oidisco

Yea I was convinced that Roy would be my new main, but after playing for a few days I decided to go back to Marth. Something about Roy's movement just didn't click with me

I stuck with Ryu.

I'm curious Karst, who do you think are the worst characters in the game? My local scene believes it's Puff and Mewtwo among others, and they happen to be characters you play. :p
Not counting Miis, because I have almost no experience with then outside of Shamrock playing Brawler:

Bottom 5:
Jigglypuff
Zelda
Ganondorf
Dedede
Samus

Mewtwo is more like bottom mid, or the top of low tier. Not bottom tier. Mewtwo can dance circles around a significant portion of the cast, and I don't think you can say that for any of the characters I listed above. All of those characters have no to few good matchups.

I am fine with everyone thinking Mewtwo is the worst, though. It just means he is more likely to get more buffs...

Not counting Miis, because I have almost no experience with then outside of Shamrock playing Brawler:

Bottom 5:
Jigglypuff
Zelda
Ganondorf
Dedede
Samus

Mewtwo is more like bottom mid, or the top of low tier. Not bottom tier. Mewtwo can dance circles around a significant portion of the cast, and I don't think you can say that for any of the characters I listed above. All of those characters have no to few good matchups.

I am fine with everyone thinking Mewtwo is the worst, though. It just means he is more likely to get more buffs...

Counting Miis, I'd easily replace D3 with Mii Swordfighter. I don't think D3 belongs anywhere near the bottom.

Masked Man

I said wow

I kept my fingers crossed for Lucas DLC starting the day the roster leaked, screamed with glee when they announced his return, downloaded him the moment the servers went back online, and have devoted plenty of time to him since his release. He may not be an S-tier character, but he'll always be my baby. <3

That said, I have a strong personal attachment to Cloud, so he will absolutely be rounding out my main trifecta alongside Lucas and Palutena. :)

Counting Miis, I'd easily replace D3 with Mii Swordfighter. I don't think D3 belongs anywhere near the bottom.

Considering one of our top local guys mains D3, me neither. Consider that by that I mean a D3 that has gotten nationally top 16 and is close to/on par with a player that got to top 16 at Evo.

TWILT

Banned

I still use Ryu somewhat regularly (I should probably use him more often though). I definitely plan on maining Cloud (unless he's -really- bad which I'm doubting) mostly because I love FF7 and I always thought Cloud's a cool guy. And hey, another sword character and he looks really fun, so wynaut. :V

I still use Mewtwo/Roy, which I said I would main when they came out. They're pretty great characters for me.

Dang it guys I said most you didn't all have to come out of the woodwork like that :T

Plus when I typed that I was thinking of Karst and M O T H E R B O Y S who picked up Lucas to go with/replace Ness.

Dang it guys I said most you didn't all have to come out of the woodwork like that :T

Plus when I typed that I was thinking of Karst and M O T H E R B O Y S who picked up Lucas to go with/replace Ness.
Huh? I never picked up Lucas. Shamrock has always encouraged me to, though. I just played him on release to try him out for fun. I never ever intended to main him.

Shamrock still plays Lucas, so that isn't fair either.

Huh? I never picked up Lucas. Shamrock has always encouraged me to, though. I just played him on release to try him out for fun. I never ever intended to main him.

Shamrock still plays Lucas, so that isn't fair either.
Pardon, I referred to you as your own category since I don't know anyone else here who switched mains to Mewtwo.

My lack of sleep is getting to me, think god it's the weekend ;~;

Tesseract

Banned
is the gaf tournament thing still up, if so please pm or link email quote me the name and password

also, is there an easy unlock for customs yet? gowtdayum.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
also, is there an easy unlock for customs yet? gowtdayum.

Smash Run (3DS) or do nothing on Trash Tour(Wii U).

Take your pick.

----------------

If we play later Karst you can probably expect the scrubbiest Bowser play ever. Been playing too much XIV ARR.

JulianImp

GGs. And yeah, I know that feeling all too well. I think I'm managing to shake it off now, though, finally.

You did well once you goy used to my limited approach repertoire. I noticed I kept going in when I shouldn't have far too often for my own good, and kepy trying to contest Villager's disjointed turnip aerials, which was really silly. Should've set more trampolines by the edges as well.

Hey guys, did you miss me? It's been a few months since I last posted here, Rocket League, MGSV and some other stuff took my attention away from smash for a bit :p. I'm pretty hyped for Cloud and the smash event in december though so I'll try to keep up with the thread again from now on. I see there's a discord room now. I'm not familiar with that but I made an account for now.

Magius, I'll keep Discord up for when you want to play.

Hey guys, did you miss me? It's been a few months since I last posted here, Rocket League, MGSV and some other stuff took my attention away from smash for a bit :p. I'm pretty hyped for Cloud and the smash event in december though so I'll try to keep up with the thread again from now on. I see there's a discord room now. I'm not familiar with that but I made an account for now.
I could use Dedede experience with Mewtwo. :)

I missed your Dedede :'(

Top Bottom