• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

I've only had the 3DS cart for two weeks or so, but two or three Lvl. 7s are still stomping me.

I must train more!

Seeing a new 3DS playing this in the store is what made me buy the game... Haven't played since Melee, but once I saw a great portable version of the game I just... Broke down. Had to do it. Portable Ocarina and Majora's Mask sealed the deal.

JulianImp

I've only had the 3DS cart for two weeks or so, but two or three Lvl. 7s are still stomping me.

I must train more!

Seeing a new 3DS playing this in the store is what made me buy the game... Haven't played since Melee, but once I saw a great portable version of the game I just... Broke down. Had to do it. Portable Ocarina and Majora's Mask sealed the deal.

Welcome aboard! Nowadays it looks like most people are on a discord chat, so you could always ask for a link if you want to get in there. Personally, I used to play a whole lot but I'm now out of the loop since I began playing other stuff regularily (and now I'm hooked on Xenoblade X, which's going to take me quite a while to play to completion).

Don't train too much against AIs though, because they teach you lots of bad habits due to how they often fall for dumb tricks or rely on their superhuman reflexes at times. You'd do well to play online against random opponents or friends, since humans are always better for practicing what really matters in Smash, rather than being conditioned to exploit dumb AI behaviors.

You should also let us know which character/s you're into, since chances are you'll find someone else who can give you a hand in learning the basics of playing him/her/it. I like how we've got a fair bit of variety and there're several players who rock some seriously tough characters you could always learn specific match-ups from if you're interested in that kind of thing.

...And now I remembered how we'd ocassionally play random FFAs with items on. The funny thing is that it was actually was the first time I had ever played on many stages on their regular forms, and some of them were actually quite fun (the NSMB stage in particular)!

Beats

well, I'm hoping for some good balance changes especially for some of the characters at the bottom tbh. Still excited for new characters though.

All the game asks of you is the patience to handle the boredom of playing Sheik ;)

Or Doctor Mario
That I like, man. :p

Honestly, more than anything I wish Jigglypuff was viable. Definitely my favorite character after a lot of play with everyone, but she's so goddamn terrible.

Yes. Yes it is. I know because I'm in the same boat :p
The Palutena life is a tough one.

well, I'm hoping for some good balance changes especially for some of the characters at the bottom tbh. Still excited for new characters though.
I know this is supposedly the final Smash Direct, but if it's the last balance patch I will be a bit miffed. Especially if he doesn't try to fix some of this game's features...

The characters I love tend to be the ones I hate playing in this game. Link is better than ever but at the same time he doesn't feel all that satisfying to play so I don't pick him. It's weird.

SeanR1221

Wanted to play online after not doing so for a long time.

Man, I'm bummed for fun still has a lot of lag :/

For glory with 4 players works great but for fun is almost unplayable. I want items!

Ya' know, I never cared for the Mii costumes because I always thought they looked silly, but these costumes that cover the whole Mii body, including the face, are actually kind of cool.

costume_4_5.jpg

costume_3_6.jpg

I wish there were more costumes that covered the whole head. They barely even look like Miis.

Sometimes you're dealt a shit hand. Just like me and SF4 re: T. Hawk.
I just can't believe that there are THREE characters I like in Smash 4, and they are literally bottom 3 on most competitive tier lists these days. How can my luck be that bad?

I will seriously main Bowser, Jigglypuff, or Mewtwo if any of them becomes good. I would prefer Jigglypuff the most, Mewtwo second, and Bowser third, though.

What is going on with the smash bros wiiu load time? It is suddenly super long?!
I feel like it keeps getting longer and longer.

I just can't believe that there are THREE characters I like in Smash 4, and they are literally bottom 3 on most competitive tier lists these days. How can my luck be that bad?

I will seriously main Bowser, Jigglypuff, or Mewtwo if any of them becomes good. I would prefer Jigglypuff the most, Mewtwo second, and Bowser third, though.

I feel like it keeps getting longer and longer.
Has it been acknowledged? It literally takes forever
. Considering it was great at launch it sucks.

Speaking of characters you love playing, I feel like I'm one of the minority who loves almost every character :) Of course, like everyone, I have my favourites, but there are only a handful of characters who I don't enjoy playing as.

I have two characters I love using. They're just completely awful, though. Bottom tier in every tier list out there. I want to love some characters that are worth playing. :p

The good thing though is that this is by far the most well-balanced Smash game. Tier lists will always exist, but the tier lists for this game keep changing due to people not expecting certain characters to be as good as they are, and I constantly see people performing amazingly well with "bottom-tier" characters.

FSLink

Banned

Try Wario.
Floaty like Puff, but instead has better weight, great air acceleration, a better trump card move (Fart > Rest), and he has a great command grab.

Try Wario.
Floaty like Puff, but instead has better weight, great air acceleration, a better trump card move (Fart > Rest), and he has a great command grab.
Wario is fucking gross. Ew.

Speaking of characters you love playing, I feel like I'm one of the minority who loves almost every character :) Of course, like everyone, I have my favourites, but there are only a handful of characters who I don't enjoy playing as.

The good thing though is that this is by far the most well-balanced Smash game. Tier lists will always exist, but the tier lists for this game keep changing due to people not expecting certain characters to be as good as they are, and I constantly see people performing amazingly well with "bottom-tier" characters.
Without significant character-specific changes, I think two of those I listed aren't moving. I think Mewtwo is better than most people think, but not good.

Ike is probably high tier these days. Great character.

Who knows about Doc. Too underplayed to judge.

Though Doc doesn't have the matchup spread Mario has, I certainly think he's at least mid-tier due to his frame data, reliable kill setups (he can dthrow to fair part of the cast at kill percents including Sheik), and the fact he was lucky to be a clone of a high-tier character in Mario.

I agree Ike is a great character, I kinda wonder how he can be buffed without becoming too great. I kinda wish he'd get a speed boost on his nair so he has at least one other aerial nearly as fast as his bair, then he'd be great. :)

Cronox

Banned
What is going on with the smash bros wiiu load time? It is suddenly super long?!

We have it so much better than the rest of the FGC. When I commented that the Street Fighter V beta takes way too long from character select to actual fighting everyone in the beta thread just told me to deal with it. It literally takes 20 seconds for that game to load a goddamn stage. And that's on PC. I'm glad Smash gets straight to business in comparison. Seriously, look at this guy picking a stage, and keep in mind he's just going into training mode.

FSLink

Banned
Ike is probably the best sword user now.

Doc will definitely be a relevant counterpick character due to his kill setups on some important characters like Pikachu.

I'm currently having the most fun with Diddy/Pikachu so I'm going to stick with these two for awhile especially since they do have a lot of interesting tech that not many people optimize. I'll have my tertiary characters in my pocket just for fun or as a pocket character in tourneys (Ness, Lucas, Duck Hunt, Pits, Ryu, Fox, Mii Swordfighter, Sheik, Mario, Kirby, Metaknight, ZSS)

Without significant character-specific changes, I think two of those I listed aren't moving. I think Mewtwo is better than most people think, but not good.

The point is: stop looking at tier lists. A good player who's playing a bottom-tier character can beat a mediocre player who's playing a top-tier character. Again: it's a well-balanced game. Stop worrying so much and start having fun instead!

Boney

Banned
Though Doc doesn't have the matchup spread Mario has, I certainly think he's at least mid-tier due to his frame data, reliable kill setups (he can dthrow to fair part of the cast at kill percents including Sheik), and the fact he was lucky to be a clone of a high-tier character in Mario.

I agree Ike is a great character, I kinda wonder how he can be buffed without becoming too great. I kinda wish he'd get a speed boost on his nair so he has at least one other aerial nearly as fast as his bair, then he'd be great. :)
Wouldn't do much, but remove the sourspot in his fsmash. Like why is that a thing???

I wouldn't mind his jab3 getting a bit more knockback growth so it can kill like it did in Brawl.

Giving his ftilt the old knockback but keeping the new frame data is the "pls nerf" buff he could get.

Also hai

Ike was pretty bad when the game first came out but he's had nothing but buffs since then, and I think he's where he should be right now. The game has to be balanced around different levels of play and he's already great in free-for-alls.

If he were to get any more buffs, I'd want Aether to be able to grab the ledge from behind like it could in Brawl. Not because he needs it, but because I want this to be possible again.

Wouldn't do much, but remove the sourspot in his fsmash. Like why is that a thing???

I wouldn't mind his jab3 getting a bit more knockback growth so it can kill like it did in Brawl.

Giving his ftilt the old knockback but keeping the new frame data is the "pls nerf" buff he could get.

Also hai
Hello =3

Does fsmash actually have a sourspot? I don't think I've noticed, though I don't use it much.

Jab3 can kill at high percents and/or with rage. I've done it before. :)

Or at least I think I have, it's morning get off my back

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I just want one good character I love playing. That isn't too much to ask, is it?

Nope, it's not. Sometime it's a bad luck that our characters aren't that great. Every updates Smash Bros got, Duck Hunt's placement kept getting low and lower.

I think it was trying to read the information from your hard drive to upload downloadable contents. That's probably why it become longer every time we get DLC.

I can see both of those points.

The point is: stop looking at tier lists. A good player who's playing a bottom-tier character can beat a mediocre player who's playing a top-tier character. Again: it's a well-balanced game. Stop worrying so much and start having fun instead!
The point is: eat a shit brick. When I put money in for a tournament, I'm not doing it to beat mediocre players.

Boney

Banned
Karst be nice~

Hello =3

Does fsmash actually have a sourspot? I don't think I've noticed, though I don't use it much.

Jab3 can kill at high percents and/or with rage. I've done it before. :)

Or at least I think I have, it's morning get off my back
Yeah all the end part of the sword hits like an average fsmash, it's super disappointing and makes no sense.

And yeah jab 3 can kill but a very slight oomph would go a long way.

Whoa, dude, why are you always so angry? Sorry, I was just trying to be nice to you. It really sounds like Smash isn't for you seeing how aggressive it makes you.
Empty-headed happiness is the worst kind of kindness.

Karst be nice~

Yeah all the end part of the sword hits like an average fsmash, it's super disappointing and makes no sense.

And yeah jab 3 can kill but a very slight oomph would go a long way.
Joyful malevolence, my friend.

Settle it in Smash!

I am sure the "good" player would beat the "mediocre" player, even if the "medicore" player uses a better character :p
The problem is when I play a good or great player. Then I can feel the struggle. Nothing is as bad as playing Dormammu in Vanilla Marvel, though. Or Tager in early BlazBlue titles. Mewtwo is a god compared to that stuff.

I've mostly been playing BlazBlue using a (MF-ing surprise!) C tier character. But it's all in preparation for a character that I adore and will main forever. Also pumped for Dizzy to release in Xrd, and Street Fighter V has 3 characters I will consider maining (secret info: I will end up playing Bison no matter what). It's a great time to be a fighting game fan, especially once Killer Instinct releases on PC next year. If Smash doesn't fix ANY of my characters, I have some solid fallbacks.

Beats

There's a limit to what you can do as a player with characters that are significantly worse than those in the upper part of the cast especially if they don't really have the tools to stand a chance against them. After a while the significant flaws of the character you really like can start to get annoying and you might have a lot less fun as a result.

Like I can beat players that are around my level or worse with Jigglypuff, but once I start playing against people that are even a bit better and they're using characters that are much stronger it's a struggle tbh. It's hard to have fun and have a good match when you basically lost at the character select screen.

The problem is when I play a good or great player. Then I can feel the struggle. Nothing is as bad as playing Dormammu in Vanilla Marvel, though. Or Tager in early BlazBlue titles. Mewtwo is a god compared to that stuff.

Oh yeah, I know that. I was making fun at what was said earlier. Saying the balancing is good because a good player can beat a bad one while using a worse character is ridiculous. It is like when Nairo beats bad players while streaming and playing random characters. Nairo is insanely good, and player skill should be separated from character abiliy. A character could still need balancing even when a pro can win with them.

Oh yeah, I know that. I was making fun at what was said earlier. Saying the balancing is good because a good player can beat a bad one while using a worse character is ridiculous. It is like when Nairo beats bad players while streaming and playing random characters. Nairo is insanely good, and player skill should be separated from character abiliy. A character could still need balancing even when a pro can win with them.
Yeah, I win like 90% of my For Glory matches with Mewtwo. But when I find that players that actually knows how to handle Mewtwo's gimmicks, it's a disaster. I meet that person maybe 1 in a 100 matches, though.

30 years old
Married.
Father.
3 degrees.
Teacher.

None of these mean I won't call you out on acting like an ass.

Hahaha, I'm amazed you felt like sharing your whole life story out of nowhere, but I can't see a school that would hire someone with that attitude; rudeness, only seeing problems instead of solutions, constant whining, no manners, that use of clichés, etc. I wish you the best of luck in life though man, and I hope that'll all work out for you. And good luck with Smash too :) Maybe after the direct next week your luck will turn, not only with new characters, but patches too :)

Hahaha, I'm amazed you felt like sharing your whole life story out of nowhere, but I can't see a school that would hire someone with that attitude; rudeness, only seeing problems instead of solutions, constant whining, no manners, that use of clichés, etc. I wish you the best of luck in life though man, and I hope that'll all work out for you. And good luck with Smash too :) Maybe after the direct next week your luck will turn, not only with new characters, but patches too :)
I hope you feel better about yourself now.

As far as I can tell, Karst is pretty good about conflict so long as you don't reveal your bias for Yoshi. :p

Plus he always gave off that "Cranky Kong" vibe even before I found out he's a teacher. "You kids have it so great, back in my day it was the QA guys who looked for combos!"

I'm joking karst pls no bully

As far as I can tell, Karst is pretty good about conflict so long as you don't reveal your bias for Yoshi. :p

Plus he always gave off that "Cranky Kong" vibe even before I found out he's a teacher. "You kids have it so great, back in my day it was the QA guys who looked for combos!"

I'm joking karst pls no bully

No one here has a bias for Yoshi. They just have their facts straight.

Top Bottom