• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Durden77

It's all hot Cloud on Cloud action online.

I really dig him. He's a lot of fun. His limit break moves are all fun and useful too.

Haven't really played this game online in a long time. In the midsts of all the Clouds I played the best Duck Hunt I've ever seen, so that's cool.

RomanceDawn

People are enjoying Cloud I see. I remember when Mewtwo hit it looked like everyone on 4Glory tried him twice and gave up. I'm seeing people really try because the potential is just a lot easier to envision.

RomanceDawn

So as a Bowser, DK and Charizard player what in the world can I do against Robin? Power Shielding is like a death sentence against his projectiles. Either I block and sit there until the animation finishes while Robin comes up for the grab or I try to roll/spot dodge only to get hit by the lasting fire or electric animation. As far as I can tell it's a lose lose situation. I just don't know where or when to punish once he starts firing projectiles.

I guess I just jump right over them but man it is not easy. Heavy guys who attempt the matchup give me some advice. I'd rather fight Sonic or Rosalina any day of the week, at least I don't feel helpless half the time.

So as a Bowser, DK and Charizard player what in the world can I do against Robin? Power Shielding is like a death sentence against his projectiles. Either I block and sit there until the animation finishes while Robin comes up for the grab or I try to roll/spot dodge only to get hit by the lasting fire or electric animation. As far as I can tell it's a lose lose situation. I just don't know where or when to punish once he starts firing projectiles.

I guess I just jump right over them but man it is not easy. Heavy guys who attempt the matchup give me some advice. I'd rather fight Sonic or Rosalina any day of the week, at least I don't feel helpless half the time.
SHAD through the fire.

Cronox

Banned
We'll talk again after you play Shamrock. :p

Even if he were to beat me half or more of the time with Cloud, it wouldn't mean anything. I mean, I've played really good Zelda players I've gone 50:50 with. Zelda is still a low tier character. Every character can be played well enough to win with in this game. But (sorry for the crossfire here Zelda players) neither of them is going to win a tournament. It'd be big news if they won a local.

Even if he were to beat me half or more of the time with Cloud, it wouldn't mean anything. I mean, I've played really good Zelda players I've gone 50:50 with. Zelda is still a low tier character. Every character can be played well enough to win with in this game. But (sorry for the crossfire here Zelda players) neither of them is going to win a tournament. It'd be big news if they won a local.
It should cause you to realize that you don't understand his potential, at least.

Cloud is good, that much I'm sure of. Playing Shamrock showed me he has a style that can be made to work really well in the right hands, and though he may not be on the level of ZSS or Ryu I could conceivably see him be similar to Captain Falcon in terms of where people rank him among the roster.

It's still too early to cast judgments like this though. We were noticing flaws with Mewtwo within the first week, so I'm sure by this time next week we'll have a much better idea of how good Cloud actually is, but I think it's too early to give up hope. It's just too bad he seems like yet another character I can't pick up. ;__;

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Cloud is alright. I like him. I have way more fun as Super Bowser though right now.

And no I'm not playing anyone at the moment. Haven't bothered to update my Wii U version. Xenoblade gonna keep me busy for a while.

FSLink

Banned
You do realize that Duck Hunt is much heavier than Mewtwo and builds damage faster than him, right?

Plus, just compare DHD's throw frame data to Mewtwo's:
Grabs Hitbox Active FAF
Standing Grab 8-9 29
Dash Grab 10-11 36
Pivot Grab 10-11 34

Grabs Hitbox Active FAF
Standing Grab 7-8 36
Dash Grab 9-10 43
Pivot Grab 10-11 41

So if you want your throw hitbox shrunk to about 1/3 of what it is right now and you want it to recover about 7 frames slower across the board, becoming significantly less safe, and you want Mewtwo's lowest weight in the game status plus trouble getting hits in, then by all means enjoy your KO throw!

Lucas doesn't have anything resembling a kill throw. You can always DI out of it at kill %. Lucas needs reads to kill.

Lucas: Up throw? Down throw -> up air is also incredibly easy to get at the proper percents, following the DI is super simple.

Also I'm aware of Duck Hunt's damage building, so uh, thanks? You can drop the snarkiness man, we're just having a conversation. C'mon I use the character in tournaments.

The issue is that most characters outside of people like Fox can *EVENTUALLY* kill with a grab. Also you have characters like Pit which have the following:

Grabs Hitbox Active FAF
Standing Grab 6-7 30
Dash Grab 8-9 37
Pivot Grab 9-10 35

He doesn't have issues getting throws, and although I don't feel Duck Hunt should kill near the ledge with fthrow like Pit/Dark Pit as early, I do think Duck Hunt needs some kill setups. Whether it'd be dthrow angle change so he can bait for uairs, or reducing sourspot on nair. You can mostly shield Duck Hunt's projectiles all day with little consequence too. He needs better grab reward (not necessarily a kill throw, but like I said if he got one, I'd make it only kill at like 180% or something high). His projectile game isn't even as strong as others if you understand how to clash with the disk and can.

Also I'm all for Duck Hunt having only kills just on smash reads. But they don't even work properly, people constantly fall out of them, and on top of that, they're highly telegraphed.

Lucas: Up throw? Down throw -> up air is also incredibly easy to get at the proper percents, following the DI is super simple.

Also I'm aware of Duck Hunt's damage building, so uh, thanks? You can drop the snarkiness man, we're just having a conversation.

The issue is that most characters outside of people like Fox can *EVENTUALLY* kill with a grab. Also you have characters like Pit which have the following:

Grabs Hitbox Active FAF
Standing Grab 6-7 30
Dash Grab 8-9 37
Pivot Grab 9-10 35

He doesn't have issues getting throws, and although I don't feel Duck Hunt should kill near the ledge with fthrow like Pit/Dark Pit as early, I do think Duck Hunt needs some kill setups. Whether it'd be dthrow angle change so he can bait for uairs, or reducing sourspot on nair. You can mostly shield Duck Hunt's projectiles all day with little consequence too. He needs better grab reward (not necessarily a kill throw, but like I said if he got one, I'd make it only kill at like 180% or something high).

Also I'm all for Duck Hunt having only kills just on smash reads. But they don't even work properly, people constantly fall out of them, and on top of that, they're highly telegraphed.
I don't know why you always think I'm being snarky when I disagree with you.

Some characters kill off of throws, others don't. DHD has pretty good shield pressure.

You can DI out of Lucas combo throw after a while, and Uthrow isn't a "kill throw". A kill throw is specifically a throw that kills at low %, not just any throw that kills eventually.

DHD having a throw that kills at 180% or something would be fine.

FSLink

Banned
I don't know why you always think I'm being snarky when I disagree with you.

Some characters kill off of throws, others don't. DHD has pretty good shield pressure.

You can DI out of Lucas combo throw after a while, and Uthrow isn't a "kill throw". A kill throw is specifically a throw that kills at low %, not just any throw that kills eventually.

DHD having a throw that kills at 180% or something would be fine.
It comes off as aggressive when you aren't meaning to. I have thick skin, but you might accidentally alienate people who are observing the conversation. Plus saying something like I don't know that Duck Hunt deals a lot of damage comes across as snarky man.

I specifically said a throw that kills at a high percent in my 2nd post. Also again, I said you can follow the DI for Lucas's dthrow at certain percents with relative ease.

It comes off as aggressive when you aren't meaning to. I have thick skin, but you might accidentally alienate people who are observing the conversation. Plus saying something like I don't know that Duck Hunt deals a lot of damage comes across as snarky man.

I specifically said a throw that kills at a high percent in my 2nd post. Also again, I said you can follow the DI for Lucas's dthrow at certain percents with relative ease.
I didn't say you don't know that Duck Hunt deals a lot of damage, but if you understand that he does, it's clear why he doesn't have a kill throw.

I checked your second post and didn't see anything about "kills at a high percent", which is a vague term anyway. If at some point you flip-flopped on the point you were arguing for, I clearly missed it, though.

Please tell me the secret DI to not die to Lucas throw to uair. I would appreciate it.
If your % is high enough, he can't follow it up when you DI away. There's a very specific % it kills at, but then beyond that you're safe, kind of like Pikachu.

Any pro tips on the best way to use grabs/land a grab?

Whenever someone is staying still from shielding/recovery time, or Counter-Spamming.

Loving Cloud so far, it seems that he's the perfect match against other Sword characters with the length of his sword relative to the Fire Emblem cast's. I've been able to attack Lucina from outside of her counter-attack range, among other attacks she has. I'd imagine the same is true about Marth and Roy. He seems to be absolutely fucked against Sonic and Kirby though as far as I've played.

Any pro tips on the best way to use grabs/land a grab?
Play some folks here and see how we use them.

Whenever someone is staying still from shielding/recovery time, or Counter-Spamming.

Loving Cloud so far, it seems that he's the perfect match against other Sword characters with the length of his sword relative to the Fire Emblem cast's. I've been able to attack Lucina from outside of her counter-attack range, among other attacks she has. I'd imagine the same is true about Marth and Roy. He seems to be absolutely fucked against Sonic and Kirby though as far as I've played.
Side B > Spindash.

We should put together a Neogaf tourney while there is some more than usual interest right now. I would say we should try to do a 1 day tourney

XaosWolf

I'd love to join some of you guys and gals, but I only ACT pro and would be Smash'd by SmashGAF.

(Judging by the hitbox and frame stuff posted)

Super digging Cloud though, which I'm thankful for because my reaction to his reveal was the same as Max's. =P

We should put together a Neogaf tourney while there is some more than usual interest right now. I would say we should try to do a 1 day tourney
Sounds like fun if we can gather interest. :)
So is there still no 1v1 mode in tourney lobbies?
Nope :(
I'd love to join some of you guys and gals, but I only ACT pro and would be Smash'd by SmashGAF.

(Judging by the hitbox and frame stuff posted)

Super digging Cloud though, which I'm thankful for because my reaction to his reveal was the same as Max's. =P
You can always play with us, we don't bite. New people are always welcome. :)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Bought Cloud, time to get back in. It's been a gooooood while, but I guess this is one of the good things about DLC - makes you pick games up again

Top Bottom