• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

RomanceDawn

I'm looking at 2 OFFICIAL GameCube adapters. Does anybody want one? I've never seen one in the wild since Smash released. Reply soon.

JulianImp

I'm looking at 2 OFFICIAL GameCube adapters. Does anybody want one? I've never seen one in the wild since Smash released. Reply soon.

I'd be game if only shipping stuff to here wasn't so damn complicated. As it stands right now, I've only got a single WiiU pro controller and the gamepad, so extra players are forced to use wiimotes instead, and it's a real pain...

I made a Discord Chat for Fighting Game GAF - this might help everyone coordinate matches, but also chat during matches without having to worry about a posting limit or hoping that the opponent refreshes the page. SmashGAF loves it:

Quote my post to reveal the link; don't post links publicly to avoid randoms from trolling the chat:

Nightii

Banned
Discord keeps dying on me. Nami and Juni, I'm trying to enter the room, but it seems I can't, is it because you are in the middle of a match?

Nightii

Banned
Jumping Inhale should be able to autosnap the ledge, I say.

EDIT: Good games, Juni! Hope you had fun too, so many Pikmin cries...

Hylian7

I'm looking into ethernet adapters for my Wii U. I see tons of cheaper ones on Amazon. Any particular recommendation, or should I absolutely go with the Nintendo brand?

leroidys

I'm looking into ethernet adapters for my Wii U. I see tons of cheaper ones on Amazon. Any particular recommendation, or should I absolutely go with the Nintendo brand?
Last I checked, Nintendo sells theirs on their website for a reasonable price. Pretty much anything should be fine though.

So back before DLC was finished, people were discussing just what was the max the Wii U CSS could hold.

Turns out there is no max at all, and the Wii U CSS is set up to cleanly resize itself for an infinite amount of slots. Rather than shrink horizontally, they start getting smaller vertically to make room, and begins to add more rows if it needs to.

You could probably fit 20+ more characters there before things get too small to work.

squadr0n

Just picked up Smash and the Cloud DLC collection. Its been YEARS since ive played the series, is there a generally accepted place to get some tips on how to play and each characters move sets?

So back before DLC was finished, people were discussing just what was the max the Wii U CSS could hold.

Turns out there is no max at all, and the Wii U CSS is set up to cleanly resize itself for an infinite amount of slots. Rather than shrink horizontally, they start getting smaller vertically to make room, and begins to add more rows if it needs to.

You could probably fit 20+ more characters there before things get too small to work.

Neat to see with the CSS, at least it's preferred to the 3DS' solution though I understand why they went that route.

This hacking stuff is pretty crazy, but it looks like they made it so that if you try to play as a normally unplayable character (i.e. Master Hand, Sandbag) it defaults you to Mario. Not even hacking lets you play as Ridley lol

What's weird about the CSS is they actually bothered to make it cleanly scale well above what was a reasonable roster. There'd be no reason to plan on 80+ characters, but they did it anyway.

The hacking also shows you can easily drop a character anywhere and the CSS adjusts, DLC doesn't really need to be at the end and could very easily be sorted with its proper series.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Just picked up Smash and the Cloud DLC collection. Its been YEARS since ive played the series, is there a generally accepted place to get some tips on how to play and each characters move sets?

Smashboards and this thread.

How long will this game get balance patches?

Hopefully with Corrin and Bayonetta but I don't think Bayonetta and Corrin's patch would be last one because of unforeseen glitches that could happens with Bayonetta and Corrin. Who know?

Hi guys, just popping in to introduce myself. IntelliHeath caught my post in the Fighting Game Scrub thread and linked me some handy stuff, including this thread. My post there:

Oh man this thread. I need this thread. I'm such a fucking scrub.

I play Smash 4. I'm garbage at it at competitive play. I have a lot of bad habits from years and years of playing with the same friends who had no competitive inclinations. My footsies are terrible.

I've been trying to get more competitive experience so I've been going to Smash 4 weeklies a town over. I continually get clapped, but it's helped me narrow down, what I think from play (and from some of the players there), some of my issues.

I'm definitely not approaching all that safely (I use Yoshi). There are times where in my head I know I have to use this approach option (NAir) because it's fast to come out and has fast FAF, I know I can to it cause I lab it and do it in friendlies, and it just...doesn't come out. I know I can do it. My mind wants it. My fingers can. But something doesn't translate, and I do a FAir, don't space it right, eat shield, get grabbed.

Along those lines I don't vary enough. It's been pointed out to me I do the same patterns in terms of combos and follow ups, the same ways to try to make and opening. Always aggressive. I don't know why I feel I have to do this, be the initiator. I guess part of it could be that the main way to punish aggression in Smash 4, to read/reatch to the approach, shield and grab, isn't quite as effective for Yoshi given his slow grab. Again I have the knowledge of it, but my hands are that overcome by habit. I haven't figured out what to do otherwise. Or, again, if I figured it out but do it too much, it gets read.

I think, if I were to try to boil it down, I am not respecting my opponent. I am not appreciating the are a sentient being, and likely fairly smart at this game. I think I can do what I want, I can will them. I can do this with my friends. I can't do this with others. I am not fully thinking, analysing the match. I just think I can do what I want and win. It doesn't work like that, but it's such a hard habit to break for me. There have been moments where I can make it work, and pull together some close matches...and then I get mentally exhausted, and auto-pilot.

Has anyone else had experience with combating this? What sort of mental training have you done? Or is it actually physical (in muscle reaction)? I've read/watched some of the guides, like the FG Primer or Juicebox's video, but I don't know why in being armed with the knowledge I find it so excruciatingly hard to apply.

I could also be completely wrong. Without videos it's kinda tough to convey.

tl;dr how do I stop auto-pilot
maybe?

I'm trying to dial it back a bit with each weekly, and I've been getting closer and closer to winning by taking a more defensive approach, but the auto-pilot habits just shift from aggressive to less aggressive play. I'm trying to engage the mind with the fingers, but am finding it hard. When I do get small bursts of it, it's definitely when I play my best. What are some tips or tricks you guys have used to avoid auto-piloting? I've currently been mentally talking to myself in a match - did what I do worked? Will it work again? What did my opponent do against me? What did I do to receive the punish? it's helped me try to engage the brain more, but while I do this I'm auto-pilot fade FAiring, NAir or egging. Then get pushished again.

I'd love to play some of you guys sometimes :3 I'd love to get better too! My NNID is J58-P4.,

Hi guys, just popping in to introduce myself. IntelliHeath caught my post in the Fighting Game Scrub thread and linked me some handy stuff, including this thread. My post there:

I'm trying to dial it back a bit with each weekly, and I've been getting closer and closer to winning by taking a more defensive approach, but the auto-pilot habits just shift from aggressive to less aggressive play. I'm trying to engage the mind with the fingers, but am finding it hard. When I do get small bursts of it, it's definitely when I play my best. What are some tips or tricks you guys have used to avoid auto-piloting? I've currently been mentally talking to myself in a match - did what I do worked? Will it work again? What did my opponent do against me? What did I do to receive the punish? it's helped me try to engage the brain more, but while I do this I'm auto-pilot fade FAiring, NAir or egging. Then get pushished again.

I'd love to play some of you guys sometimes :3 I'd love to get better too! My NNID is J58-P4.,
Glad to have you, but unfortunately Yoshi is a banned character among SmashGAF for being too good and stupid and skill-less and immoral and extinct.

Join Discord for Fighting Game GAF here:

And Discord for Smash GAF here:

That's where we mostly hang out and play.

Sapientas

I identify myself in your analysis. Pretty much the same background of playing against friends, maybe even worse since I *only* played thousands of 64, Melee and Brawl matches with the same 2 friends. Never heard the term auto-pilot but it's pretty accurate. Trying to fight it too I guess.

I've been into some tourneys here and I normally dominate till the semi finals where I get someone that's actually good at the game and get stomped. Doesn't help that I main Little Mac.

Hylian7

My wired network adapter came in today. Just wanted to say thanks to whichever poster it was in here that told me the gray plug on the Gamecube adapter was just for rumble and not required, that freed up a slot for it. Playing on wired is nice, as long as my opponent doesn't have a bad connection. Although when wireless was good for me, it was pretty close to what I have now.

FSLink

Banned
If it makes you feel better, we only have room to hate one Yoshi main on SmashGaf for his unfortunate character choices so you're very welcome to join us =3

Meanwhile I've been messing a lot with Yoshi in friendlies after watching ESAM's Yoshi. Mostly to understand the character's setups more.

But yeah damn lol Yoshi's fair is so silly.

zulux21

quick question. If I bought the wiiu/3ds dlc bundles on the eshop, can I give away or sell the 3ds codes I get to someone else if I don't want them myself?

Hylian7

Yoshi is such a pain in the ass to play against. (I'm a Palutena main)

I couldn't beat this one guy's Yoshi in FG, then he changed characters a few times, I beat all of them. Then he went back to Yoshi, I lost a few matches, and then suddenly in the last one I played I somehow managed to 2-stock him. His deaths weren't suicides either.

leroidys

Man, why the hell can't I play against cloud? It's the same feeling I got playing against Shulk when the game first came out, until I figured out how ridiculously punishable most of his attacks were. Cloud on the other hand has very minimal endlag on most of his attacks. And playing as Lucas, I have fucking terrible roll-punish options, so Clouds just roll around the stage charging limit breaker and covering half the screen with that fucking buster sword and I can't even get close. Got 2 stocked by an obviously terrible cloud a little while ago. Ugh.

Top Bottom