• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Masked Man

I said wow
Anyone? I still can't play online after 48 hours. Other online games on my 3ds and WiiU work, its only Smash 3DS that I can't connect. So it has to be the server right? But noone else is reporting an outage...plus Splatoon nor Mario Kart 8 went down due to Christmas stress. Don't know what to do here.

I've been playing on the 3DS with no problems. :/ Hope you can fix your connection issues!

I've been playing on the 3DS with no problems. :/ Hope you can fix your connection issues!
So it is me.

Wtf.

I mean Super Street Fighter IV 3D works with no problem.

It just plain won't connect online. I just moved and got intermet at a new place, but I did get it to work the first couple days so all around just don't know what to do.

Damnit, more googling.

I was messing around with Brawl in Dolphin, and played on Yoshi's Island.
2b83bhK.jpg
Wow, the stage looks amazing in HD. Kind of a shame it's "stuck" on the 3DS. It'd fit right in with the Smash 4 Wii U stages with basically no changes required to it.

Also lol Wolf's crouch animation

It looks like they wanted him to be able to crawl. But then just sort of gave up. And then he lost his neck. And his facial animation.

Hylian7

I'm curious, is there a common opinion in here on whether Bayonetta will be broken or not? Almost every trailer makes the character look OP, and immediately after the trailer, of course people would be saying that. However with Bayonetta, it's been different. People are still claiming she will be OP.

I honestly don't think she will be OP. Either way, we can't really say for sure until people actually get their hands on her.

I don't expect her to be OP for a few reasons. First of all, there were the weaknesses Sakurai outlined for her. Second, there's some other stuff I noticed. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like there's gaps in her combos where enemies can air dodge, or escape the combos in another way. In almost all of the examples in the rundown in the direct, the enemy doesn't appear to be trying anything to escape the combos. It's just a display of what Bayonetta can potentially do.

I'm curious, is there a common opinion in here on whether Bayonetta will be broken or not? Almost every trailer makes the character look OP, and immediately after the trailer, of course people would be saying that. However with Bayonetta, it's been different. People are still claiming she will be OP.

I honestly don't think she will be OP. Either way, we can't really say for sure until people actually get their hands on her.

I don't expect her to be OP for a few reasons. First of all, there were the weaknesses Sakurai outlined for her. Second, there's some other stuff I noticed. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like there's gaps in her combos where enemies can air dodge, or escape the combos in another way. In almost all of the examples in the rundown in the direct, the enemy doesn't appear to be trying anything to escape the combos. It's just a display of what Bayonetta can potentially do.
"Almost every trailer"? Is there more than one out there?

Folks here don't make assumptions on a character before that character is released.

Hylian7

"Almost every trailer"? Is there more than one out there?

Folks here don't make assumptions on a character before that character is released.

I phrased the "Almost every trailer" bit wrong, I meant every character introduction trailer. For instance, people thought Palutena's up Smash might be OP before anyone got their hands on her. Look how that turned out.

Good to hear that no one here really buys into the "She's OP!!!!!11one!" camp.

I realize that we're kind of splintered, but I'd really like for the Smash guys and girls to join us in this thread. :) Please consider. I'd love you guys to join us in the hopeful mentor tournaments.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1162886
Everyone must have a starting point somewhere. I wonder how well this thread is gonna be received by Gaf.
I phrased the "Almost every trailer" bit wrong, I meant every character introduction trailer. For instance, people thought Palutena's up Smash might be OP before anyone got their hands on her. Look how that turned out.

Good to hear that no one here really buys into the "She's OP!!!!!11one!" camp.

Yep, nobody can believe anyone is OP as far back as the game's release, where we quickly discovered how flawed certain characters still are. What takes longer to figure out is how strong characters are, as is the case with Ryu. Frankly I think Bayonetta's supposed slow startup might keep her from taking the top tier, but no character with combo ability like that can be considered less than mid-tier.

leroidys

What do you guys think the likelihood of the 3rd party costumes and/or characters getting delisted eventually is? I bought all of them just in case, even though I never use Mii Fighters. Still feel burned by UMvC3 DLC disappearing before I had a change to pick up the costumes and Jill.

What do you guys think the likelihood of the 3rd party costumes and/or characters getting delisted eventually is? I bought all of them just in case, even though I never use Mii Fighters. Still feel burned by UMvC3 DLC disappearing before I had a change to pick up the costumes and Jill.
Capcom had a really bad licensing deal for the Marvel properties. They can't even patch the game now. I doubt Nintendo would be so foolish.

Does anyone have some links to some high level Ness play, or just high level play in general?
Check Evo 2015's top 8.

Ricky 7

Do you guys still play each other? I just got access back to my Wii U after 3 months so I'd thought I'd play some of you guys to get back into the game. This place looks pretty dead though.

Juni_

Yes we still play each other but most matchmaking takes place in the discord chatroom nowadays. Quote for the invite. Also let me know if you want me to pm you the invite instead.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Do you guys still play each other? I just got access back to my Wii U after 3 months so I'd thought I'd play some of you guys to get back into the game. This place looks pretty dead though.

We are in chatroom due to some people's complaints about having too many matchmaking conversations here so we ended up looking for matches in discord.

We still post here once in awhile.

spoonztt

Hey guys, can someone point me in the direction of the latest standard tournament rules? A couple friends are interested in hosting a tournament in our area. Thanks.

Hey guys, can someone point me in the direction of the latest standard tournament rules? A couple friends are interested in hosting a tournament in our area. Thanks.
Check Smashboards.com's forums for competitive Smash 4. There's an entire thread dedicated to the discussion. There is no agreed set of rules just yet.

FSLink

Banned
Check Smashboards.com's forums for competitive Smash 4. There's an entire thread dedicated to the discussion. There is no agreed set of rules just yet.
To add to this,
Typically it's 2 stock, 6 minutes, with some regions running 3 stock, 8 minutes, no items.

Stage list is per region, but we currently run

Battlefield
Town and City
Smashville
Dreamland
Final Destination

1 stage ban per set.

3DS smash player here.

Unlocking my first custom moves for Mega Man (my main and favorite character) felt really great. I hope I can get them all.

I just wish I knew people IRL to play with...

Hylian7

I'm curious if anyone else has a similar issue with their particular setup. I've always played via Wifi and it's been fine, however I've been considering getting a USB ethernet adapter. Only problem is the USB ports on the Wii U. I have a hard drive that takes up 2, and has Smash on it. My Gamecube adapter takes up the other two.

Any ideas?

I'm curious if anyone else has a similar issue with their particular setup. I've always played via Wifi and it's been fine, however I've been considering getting a USB ethernet adapter. Only problem is the USB ports on the Wii U. I have a hard drive that takes up 2, and has Smash on it. My Gamecube adapter takes up the other two.

Any ideas?

USB hub

Cronox

Banned
To add to this,
Typically it's 2 stock, 6 minutes, with some regions running 3 stock, 8 minutes, no items.

Battlefield
Town and City
Smashville
Dreamland
Final Destination

1 stage ban per set.

Those are starters. Duck Hunt and Lylat are counterpick stages after the first match. Still missing Delfino and Castle Siege... :(

Can the Wii U feasibly power that, and power the dual-port stuff I have?

Or do you mean one of the ones with external power?

Unplug the grey USB cable from your GC controller adapter, it's only there for rumble support. Also, really doubting that your hard drive requires 2 USB connections unless it doesn't have a power brick.

Hylian7

Those are starters. Duck Hunt and Lylat are counterpick stages after the first match. Still missing Delfino and Castle Siege... :(

Unplug the grey USB cable from your GC controller adapter, it's only there for rumble support. Also, really doubting that your hard drive requires 2 USB connections unless it doesn't have a power brick.

It doesn't have a power brick. I had to get a Y-cable for it back when I bought it because one USB port was not enough for it.

Also mind fucking blown about the bolded. Holy shit, I did not know that.

Man, Smash Run on 3DS is so fun! At least with Mega Man.... I got two custom specials that were the same move in one run, that was kind of disappointing. I think it gives you a higher chance to get specials for the character you are playing, although it's definitely not guaranteed.

Man, Smash Run on 3DS is so fun! At least with Mega Man.... I got two custom specials that were the same move in one run, that was kind of disappointing. I think it gives you a higher chance to get specials for the character you are playing, although it's definitely not guaranteed.

Smashboards has ways to cheat the custom drops.

FSLink

Banned
Was referring to local scene, not here, though usually our scene goes with Counterpicks: Omega stages (banned if FD is banned), Lylat Cruise, Duck Hunt as well.

Why is there no 1v1 for fun? I think people take it too seriously in For Glory...Some randoms there are really good. I wish I was good at this. I wonder if a New 3DS helps make the game play better. Some players seem just faster than me.

FSLink

Banned
Why is there no 1v1 for fun? I think people take it too seriously in For Glory...Some randoms there are really good. I wish I was good at this. I wonder if a New 3DS helps make the game play better. Some players seem just faster than me.

Because it's called "For Glory" mode, it's (as limited as it is) the competitive mode, so you will occasionally see some good players in there.

New 3DS doesn't really help much, it's too hard to get better on the 3DS due to lag thanks to being limited to wireless.

If you want to get better at the game, take out the notion of people "taking it too seriously", people have fun playing competitively too. :p There's plenty of people who would be willing to give you pointers if you have the desire to learn.

Because it's called "For Glory" mode, it's (as limited as it is) the competitive mode, so you will occasionally see some good players in there.

New 3DS doesn't really help much, it's too hard to get better on the 3DS due to lag thanks to being limited to wireless.

If you want to get better at the game, take out the notion of people "taking it too seriously", people have fun playing competitively too. :p There's plenty of people who would be willing to give you pointers if you have the desire to learn.

I only said take it too seriously because there was a Link player who owned me and he just played like a machine the whole time. The Cloud player I fought was also better than me probably, but I could tell he was at least human.

I don't know if Mega man is such a good character in 1v1s because his regular shot doesn't do much and it's pretty easy to get into melee range... Any tips?

I only won one match as Kirby.

jorgejjvr

We are in chatroom due to some people's complaints about having too many matchmaking conversations here so we ended up looking for matches in discord.

We still post here once in awhile.
That's a dumb complain, it's a smash thread

This should be the place to talk about games

Discord is very inconvenient for me on my phone

Edit: nvm, downloading app, let see how it is there

But I still think we should still be able to chat here as well

JulianImp

So... something happened with the router's LAN cable so I'm forced to play on a wireless connection until I can go pick up a replacement cable. Bummer.

I've also been digging Cloud as of late, so I'll probably be picking him up as a semi-regular character from now on. I've got to get used to his moveset though, since I'm rarely using some of his tools such as dair, utilt and dsmash. Being unable to complete his side B unless you're hitting something is a bit of a letdown, since it behaves in a different way from other side B combo moves (Marth/a/Roy's dancing blade).

RomanceDawn

So I was just told that dashing into Shield brings up the shield slower than waking and doing shield. Is this just with DK or is this with all characters?! This could mean a ton of things when I have to go up against good Duck Hunts with DK.

So... something happened with the router's LAN cable so I'm forced to play on a wireless connection until I can go pick up a replacement cable. Bummer.

I've also been digging Cloud as of late, so I'll probably be picking him up as a semi-regular character from now on. I've got to get used to his moveset though, since I'm rarely using some of his tools such as dair, utilt and dsmash. Being unable to complete his side B unless you're hitting something is a bit of a letdown, since it behaves in a different way from other side B combo moves (Marth/a/Roy's dancing blade).

Those are some of his best moves! Dair and dsmash in particular.

So I was just told that dashing into Shield brings up the shield slower than waking and doing shield. Is this just with DK or is this with all characters?! This could mean a ton of things when I have to go up against good Duck Hunts with DK.

I've heard this multiple times. No idea if true, but I don't walk anyways xD

Everything can be done faster out of walk because there's no need to stop walking like there is with running. It has always been that way with every character. Duck Hunt would be nearly-unusable bottom tier trash if not for it. Samus too OH WAIT

Malyse

The creator of "Super Smash Bros. 4" has admitted that there may be too many "Fire Emblem" characters in the game.

With the introduction of Corrin as one of the newest additions to the roster of "Super Smash Bros," game creator Masahiro Sakurai wrote in video games magazine Famitsu that adding Corrin in the popular crossover fighting game resulted in a proliferation of characters from the tactical role-playing video game franchise.

In his explanation, Sakurai revealed that the reason why the team picked Corrin was that they wanted to add another character in "Super Smash Bros. 4" from another video game that was recently released or will be released soon.

Sakurai mentioned that he also felt that there are far too many Fire Emblem characters that are already included in "Super Smash Bros. 4." However, he also mentioned that after further discussions with the development staff of the game, he was guaranteed that Corrin would be a welcome addition to the fighting game.

At the moment, there are a total of eight playable Fire Emblem characters in "Super Smash Bros. 4," including Corrin, the two versions of Robin, Ike, Lucina, Roy, Mega Man, and Luigi.

http://www.christiantoday.com/artic...ave.too.many.fire.emblem.characters/74897.htm

JulianImp

Those are some of his best moves! Dair and dsmash in particular.

Seriously. I've still got to get used to the timing to auto-cancel full hop dairs, though.

I should also take note of kill percents for finishing touch since I often default to side B as my limit break of choice, and as a result might be missing out on earlier kills if I used down B instead.

Seriously. I've still got to get used to the timing to auto-cancel full hop dairs, though.

I should also take note of kill percents for finishing touch since I often default to side B as my limit break of choice, and as a result might be missing out on earlier kills if I used down B instead.

Tweek, a great Bowser Jr player, managed to beat Nairo using Cloud. He prefers to use side-B over down-B almost every time.

JulianImp

Tweek, a great Bowser Jr player, managed to beat Nairo using Cloud. He prefers to use side-B over down-B almost every time.

Cool! The few times I actually used down B it always felt less safe on miss compared to side B, which is really fast, lingers on as a way to catch dodges and has really low recovery time (even though I've got to stop mashing some attacks out of it on block that get me punished by a faster counter-attack.

Super Smash Bros. featuring Mega Man and Luigi from the Fire Emblem series.

I'm guessing Marth is now a Mario character.

Counting Robin twice but not Corrin was really weird, but then I got to the Megaman and Luigi part and just lost it.

I'll be looking forward to an update of that old 8-man brawl screenshot with Marth, Lucina, Ike, Roy, Roy, Corrin and Robin versus some random other character once Corrin's released.

MarkusRJR

Random question: Booted Smash on Wii U for the first time on a friend's Wii U and it keeps giving me an error saying that it's unable to create album data. I would just reformat the SD card but he has tons of Wii VC games on it and he doesn't want to have to redownload them through the slow Wii Shop Channel.

Any ways around this?

Random question: Booted Smash on Wii U for the first time on a friend's Wii U and it keeps giving me an error saying that it's unable to create album data. I would just reformat the SD card but he has tons of Wii VC games on it and he doesn't want to have to redownload them through the slow Wii Shop Channel.

Any ways around this?

Check if the card itself is locked. If it isn't, then you're probably going to have to reformat it, no real way around it.

Malyse

Cool! The few times I actually used down B it always felt less safe on miss compared to side B, which is really fast, lingers on as a way to catch dodges and has really low recovery time (even though I've got to stop mashing some attacks out of it on block that get me punished by a faster counter-attack.

Counting Robin twice but not Corrin was really weird, but then I got to the Megaman and Luigi part and just lost it.

I'll be looking forward to an update of that old 8-man brawl screenshot with Marth, Lucina, Ike, Roy, Roy, Corrin and Robin versus some random other character once Corrin's released.

Why not:
Ike
Marth
Roy
Lucina
Robin (male)
Robin (female)
Corrin (male)
Corrin (female)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
To add to this,

Battlefield
Town and City
Smashville
Dreamland
Final Destination

1 stage ban per set.

Wait, no Duck Hunt? I thought it was legal stage? Edited: Never mind. I just saw other guy's post.

To add to this,

Battlefield
Town and City
Smashville
Dreamland
Final Destination

1 stage ban per set.

Just wanted to respond to this saying that over in Chicago we run:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Town and City
Smashville
Lylat Cruise

with Duck Hunt as a counterpick. I kinda wish Dreamland was more supported, but the argument I usually hear is that it's too similar to Battlefield and hurts whoever wants to strike that kind of stage as they'd have to use their one or two bans on both rather than on BF and some other stage.

Also #LegalizeTemple

Codeblue

Just wanted to respond to this saying that over in Chicago we run:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Town and City
Smashville
Lylat Cruise

with Duck Hunt as a counterpick. I kinda wish Dreamland was more supported, but the argument I usually hear is that it's too similar to Battlefield and hurts whoever wants to strike that kind of stage as they'd have to use their one or two bans on both rather than on BF and some other stage.

Also #LegalizeTemple

That's unfortunate. I love Dreamland and I'm pretty indifferent to Battlefield. There's a pretty bad shortage of neutral stages, so getting rid of one for not being different enough sucks.

At my locals, we run Dreamland and Miiverse but count them as a single stage, so if one gets struck, the other does too.

Top Bottom