• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Hylian7

Man, why the hell can't I play against cloud? It's the same feeling I got playing against Shulk when the game first came out, until I figured out how ridiculously punishable most of his attacks were. Cloud on the other hand has very minimal endlag on most of his attacks. And playing as Lucas, I have fucking terrible roll-punish options, so Clouds just roll around the stage charging limit breaker and covering half the screen with that fucking buster sword and I can't even get close. Got 2 stocked by an obviously terrible cloud a little while ago. Ugh.

It can seem difficult at first, but it will probably just take practice figuring out how to beat them. There's a few key points that will help:

1. His side smash is strong, but has a long animation, and somewhat long ending lag. If he whiffs the side Smash, you have a good amount of time to hit him from the other side.
2. If he tries to go for the Down+B (tornado) on his limit break, whiffing that gives him a very long ending lag, so that one is very easy to punish.
3. Without Limit Break charged, his recovery is straight up garbage. It's so bad, Ganondorf almost laughs at him. If his meter is low and you can launch a decent distance, even if it's not a direct KO, he probably can't recover.
4. If he starts up his Cross Slash (side B) on you, shield it. Even if you don't manage to block the first two hits, you can still block the third series of hits.
5. I don't play much Lucas myself, so I'm not too familiar with the matchup, but I would think PK Fire is pretty good at punishing the rolls. Also if he whiffs anything big, that up Smash is great. If he's spamming his neutral B at you, just PSI Magnet it up. I think you can do it to the Limit Break version, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

JulianImp

It can seem difficult at first, but it will probably just take practice figuring out how to beat them. There's a few key points that will help:

1. His side smash is strong, but has a long animation, and somewhat long ending lag. If he whiffs the side Smash, you have a good amount of time to hit him from the other side.
2. If he tries to go for the Down+B (tornado) on his limit break, whiffing that gives him a very long ending lag, so that one is very easy to punish.
3. Without Limit Break charged, his recovery is straight up garbage. It's so bad, Ganondorf almost laughs at him. If his meter is low and you can launch a decent distance, even if it's not a direct KO, he probably can't recover.
4. If he starts up his Cross Slash (side B) on you, shield it. Even if you don't manage to block the first two hits, you can still block the third series of hits.
5. I don't play much Lucas myself, so I'm not too familiar with the matchup, but I would think PK Fire is pretty good at punishing the rolls. Also if he whiffs anything big, that up Smash is great. If he's spamming his neutral B at you, just PSI Magnet it up. I think you can do it to the Limit Break version, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Lucas also has a faster fsmash than Ness for deflecting limit break neutral Bs, which is great since it even speeds the projectile up when you deflect it (or at least Ness' does).

A few tips of my own:
  • Don't challenge him on the air when above, as his uair appears to have really good priority and Lucas doesn't have a powerful attack that hits below him (and bair only spikes at the start AFAIK)
  • Rope snake is your friend. It doesn't do much damage, but you can zair as a pretty safe poke option and to beat his aerials
  • Cloud recovers like Melee Marth since his up B doesn't autosnap except at the start and the end of the animation. Try hitting him with a PK Fire or a thunder (from the back, since his sword would probably cancel it from the front) to rack up some damage and harass him
  • Even when using limit break up B to recover (which does autosnap to ledges), he has a couple frames of vulnerability before grabbing the ledge, so you could probably use dsmash to hit him if timed correctly
  • Limit down B is really strong, but most of the time when I want to play it safe I just use side Bs instead since they're inifinitely safer and last a lot longer. Be careful of air dodging into the ground when Cloud has his limit break
  • I'd say that Cloud's neutral B leaves him open for as long as, if not longer than, Ness' PK Fire. If he does it close to you, just short hop air dodge through it and follow up with an attack of your choice. Remember that even if you're not quite close enough to do an attack in time you can always use rope snake out of your air dodge

PillarEN

Weird. I got kicked from a Glory game for targeting one player (which isn't true either). I thought that wasn't even possible in that mode.

Whats the discord details? Might take a short break from Xenoblade and get back into higher level smash play. As fun as it is wrecking the majority of FG is with Zelda, I need to see how I compare to good players again.

hollomat

Banned
Haven't played smash in forever. Went in to play it on 3DS today cause I wanted to try Cloud. I went to redeem my code for Mewtwo (which I got from buying the 3DS and Wii U version) and it's expired. The code expired 3 months after I got it. Why even have an expiration on them?

Haven't played smash in forever. Went in to play it on 3DS today cause I wanted to try Cloud. I went to redeem my code for Mewtwo (which I got from buying the 3DS and Wii U version) and it's expired. The code expired 3 months after I got it. Why even have an expiration on them?
Ignoring the nonanswer that is "Nintendo", I'm not sure why any digital code would expire but it's not like this is the only example of such a thing.

To be fair the code came from the now-defunct Club Nintendo service.

PtM

Banned
Remember guys, this weekend is the last chance to redeem your free Mew2 codes!
Not my fault! :p

Because it was a promotional thing. Most promotional things don't last forever.

Do you guys think we'll actually get Corrin and Bayo on Feb? I'm really excited, I'm always open for new characters
even if one them ruined For Glory for me for quite a while. fuck you cloud

Do you guys think we'll actually get Corrin and Bayo on Feb? I'm really excited, I'm always open for new characters
All of the major fighting games are targeting February to compete with SFV.

Smash gets 2 DLC characters.
MKX gets new netcode.
KI PC releases.

FSLink

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGpYlmkqmZU

This set of Genesis was absurd. The perfect pivos combos are so cool. If VoiD can keep it up I can see him becoming one of the best.

So glad to see our BOID do so well. He just moved to SoCal from Hawaii and he used to wreck us here. Glad to see he's doing so well on the mainland. :D

They did say we would get Corrin before Fire Emblem Fates, and there's no reason not to believe Bayonetta wouldn't come out the same day. They tend to want to have more DLC releasing at the same time so people with poor internet don't have to constantly find ways to obtain it.

I just realized that the Kid Icarus Whirlwind Club looks just like a stick of sugar you'd use in hot drinks.

ep7jQdo.jpg

Only, one possessed by Sauron.

leroidys

Lucas also has a faster fsmash than Ness for deflecting limit break neutral Bs, which is great since it even speeds the projectile up when you deflect it (or at least Ness' does).

A few tips of my own:
  • Don't challenge him on the air when above, as his uair appears to have really good priority and Lucas doesn't have a powerful attack that hits below him (and bair only spikes at the start AFAIK)
  • Rope snake is your friend. It doesn't do much damage, but you can zair as a pretty safe poke option and to beat his aerials
  • Cloud recovers like Melee Marth since his up B doesn't autosnap except at the start and the end of the animation. Try hitting him with a PK Fire or a thunder (from the back, since his sword would probably cancel it from the front) to rack up some damage and harass him
  • Even when using limit break up B to recover (which does autosnap to ledges), he has a couple frames of vulnerability before grabbing the ledge, so you could probably use dsmash to hit him if timed correctly
  • Limit down B is really strong, but most of the time when I want to play it safe I just use side Bs instead since they're inifinitely safer and last a lot longer. Be careful of air dodging into the ground when Cloud has his limit break
  • I'd say that Cloud's neutral B leaves him open for as long as, if not longer than, Ness' PK Fire. If he does it close to you, just short hop air dodge through it and follow up with an attack of your choice. Remember that even if you're not quite close enough to do an attack in time you can always use rope snake out of your air dodge

Thanks for the input. Doing much better at the Lucas vs. Cloud matchup now. G&W still feels like a complete lost cause against him though.

JulianImp

Thanks for the input. Doing much better at the Lucas vs. Cloud matchup now. G&W still feels like a complete lost cause against him though.

Yeah, G&W's probably light enough that you can get KOed ridiculously easily by Cloud, but I guess you should remember to use your uair and dtilt's air hitboxes to throw off his timing. Also, he'll often have to land away from you because of G&W's godly usmash invincibility, so maybe you can chef for some extra damage?

Another big issue G&W might have is landing against Cloud and his overwhelming range (on top of his limit sideB punish on airdodging too close to the ground), so I'd be inclined to suggest getting away from him and maybe go for the ledges. His recovery's bad enough that he can't afford chasing after you, but you'll have to be careful about his dair staying out forever and possibly spiking you if he times it right.

Jazzem

Trying to make an effort to expand the number of characters I can play as, which really makes me appreaciate the consistent button inputs! Hoping I'll be doing the same on Street Fighter V when that lands, though I suspect I may struggle more what with the characters being so different.

I'm trying out Pit at the moment, and wishing I had done so sooner; his arrows are really fun to use! I'm by no means a crack shot with them yet...but I'm surprised how versatile they are, and have even gotten a few KOs online using them right near the blast zones. Going to try out Dark Pit as well, though I understand his arrows aren't as 'steer-able'.

PK Gaming

So he took a move that was both true to the character (well, true-er) and actually pretty fun to use and replaced it with a garbage move that's no fun at all. Okay.

I'm totally confused. The new Fsmash still has LOW range and is SLOW as hell. His old Fsmash was stupid good due to the armor it had AND was true to his character.

confusion.png

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I think because it was aimable and iirc deal more damage and knockback. Why not just buff the tackle, I dunno.

With that said though, the comment section, especially the last one, devolved into WE SHOULD HAVE TWO WARIO CHARACTERS WAAAAAAH rather than keeping in focus lol

leroidys

Wario has the most disappointing moveset in this game for me, followed by toon link. There's so much potential, so much great material to pick from, and NONE of it is used.

PK Gaming

I think because it was aimable and iirc deal more damage and knockback. Why not just buff the tackle, I dunno.

With that said though, the comment section, especially the last one, devolved into WE SHOULD HAVE TWO WARIO CHARACTERS WAAAAAAH rather than keeping in focus lol

That's the thing, the shoulder tackle was already really, really good as a move. It didn't need to be buffed, lol

JulianImp

His ftilt being a safer and better option on all but hard reads makes me wish Wario still had his old fsmash. Despite the lack of range it was really fast, and its super armor made it infinitely more useful than the turd of a smash attack he has in 4.

NX will be the definitive version since it will have wolf, Ice climbers, pichu, squirtle and Ivysaur......I would say Snake too but that's just unrealistic.

I'm only kidding jawmuncher, I miss snake too

But in all seriousness , NX smash is probably GOTY edition smash with all the DLC probably.

RomanceDawn

I'd be extremely happy if this Smash gets ported over with all the bells and whistles plus some brand new characters. Finally Nintendo will have a system that could handle playable Ridley at 60fps. Sakurai has no excuses now.

I'd be extremely happy if this Smash gets ported over with all the bells and whistles plus some brand new characters. Finally Nintendo will have a system that could handle playable Ridley at 60fps. Sakurai has no excuses now.

They'll say Ridley's wings can't be rendered at 60fps or something.

JulianImp

They'll say Ridley's wings can't be rendered at 60fps or something.

Ridley gets added to the game, but he runs at 15 fps like Pac's hydrant for performance reasons. Therefore, his fastest move goes out on frame 4, and all of his hitboxes have to last multiples of four frames (including the jab, which lasts a total of 12 frames due to the required wind-down animation).

Top Bottom