• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

JulianImp

How come Ness and Lucas aren't in the same Tier? Just started following this game competitively

Because they have completely different attacks, specials, animations and move properties. Even back in Melee when we had nearly identical clones (with identical animations but different attack speed/damage/knockback) you'd have Captain Falcon above Ganondorf and Marth way above Roy, for example.

It's so weird seeing all the characters that I have fun playing against being rated so low. What's wrong with Dedede?

Also, Peach is firmly midtier haha.

NotLiquid

It's so weird seeing all the characters that I have fun playing against being rated so low. What's wrong with Dedede?

Dedede loses way too hard against mid-ranged and long distance characters and unlike most heavies he doesn't reliably kill until high percents.

Being a low tier hero (player) and giving the opponent a run for their money if fun though.

Can't remember when I started picking low tiers.....I don't even do it on purpose.

Zekes!

Being a low tier hero (player) and giving the opponent a run for their money if fun though.

Can't remember when I started picking low tiers.....I don't even do it on purpose.

I think Smash 4 is the only time I've mained a top tier character, which is Zero Suit Samus, and I didn't even know she was considered top tier until a few months ago.

In the last week I've been playing a lot of Link though, which I haven't played at all since 64/Melee.

Codeblue

After I realized Puff sucks I decided to pick up a higher tier character for the worst match ups. I picked up Roy, but I guess he sucks too? I hope Corrin doesn't blow.

Maybe you find them "fun" to play against because you have a better chance at winning. ;-)

:x

Iunno I find playing against CF and ZSS fun too. I don't know I like their playstyles, playing against them.

Also Ganon fucks my shit up. The fear is real.
Though I'm getting better against him.

PK Gaming

After I realized Puff sucks I decided to pick up a higher tier character for the worst match ups. I picked up Roy, but I guess he sucks too? I hope Corrin doesn't blow.

You can still win with low tier characters, especially at the level you're (probably) playing at.

Shit, Roy does pretty good at regionals from time to time. You're good.

Codeblue

You can still win with low tier characters, especially at the level you're (probably) playing at.

Shit, Roy does pretty good at regionals from time to time. You're good.

I was mostly kidding. I've been placing third at 20 person locals with Puff, which is honestly fine with me. I'm not looking to win Genesis or anything. Would be nice if Puff had options though.

Eh, Roy seems low to me honestly. Two spots above G&W? Nah.

I'd agree. He has good grab combos and his autocancel nair is amazing.

leroidys

I was mostly kidding. I've been placing third at 20 person locals with Puff, which is honestly fine with me. I'm not looking to win Genesis or anything. Would be nice if Puff had options though.

I'd agree. He has good grab combos and his autocancel nair is amazing.

Yeah, he's got some cool tools. I usually get my ass kicked whenever I play Roy online, but I still enjoy the MU because most Roy players seem to be putting in some good work. I really like how they differentiated him from the other FE characters this time.

Just trying to brainstorm a wee bit before Bayongets released, and I'm realizing that her neutral B might be really good for edge-guarding at lowish percents without having to jump at people. Could use it to either force people to recover high, and then punish with air combos, or have them just take the hit.

Dunno how useful it's be at the high end of play but I could see it fukken me up.

I was one of the voters of that BR tier list so I guess I'll share what I voted

CaNvQZNWkAA35xz.jpg:orig

In retrospect I overrated Ryu.

Beats

I think it would have been more interesting to see the reasoning behind choices because well right now it just feels like another list. I mean some of the placements are obvious if you've kept up with the game, but if someone looks at the list and sees "x character is mid tier" or whatever they're not going to know why because there isn't really any other info accompanying the list.

JulianImp

I think it would have been more interesting to see the reasoning behind choices because well right now it just feels like another list. I mean some of the placements are obvious if you've kept up with the game, but if someone looks at the list and sees "x character is mid tier" or whatever they're not going to know why because there isn't really any other info accompanying the list.

Yeah. As it is right now, only people who are deep into the game already can tell why would some characters rank higher than others, and it holds little to no meaning to the rest of the playerbase other than as a crutch to solve arguments by pointing at it.

Heh, three of my favorite chars (Zelda, Samus, GDorf) at the bottom of the bottom. Completely expected, though.

I just wish Samus got a bit buffed. She's so much fun to play as.

I still maintain that Ganondorf isn't a bottom five character. I'd also insinuate he isn't a bottom 10 character but baby steps and all that.

105.Will

I still maintain that Ganondorf isn't a bottom five character. I'd also insinuate he isn't a bottom 10 character but baby steps and all that.

I agree, i think he just has some really bad match ups. Like, REALLY bad. But i think he does fine against characters that have to get in close.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

I'd insinuate that the tier list is pointless considering they released right before the meta will change drastically yet again.

*shrug*

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
At work we play at a pretty high level, one of our new players starting maining Cloud and for a good week hes been dominating 1v1's, any ideas on how to fuck him up? I play Ness so I feel like I should do fine but suddenly in 3 hits you go from 50% to dead with that forward smash of his.

Seems like Ryu does well against him though

At work we play at a pretty high level, one of our new players starting maining Cloud and for a good week hes been dominating 1v1's, any ideas on how to fuck him up? I play Ness so I feel like I should do fine but suddenly in 3 hits you go from 50% to dead with that forward smash of his.

Seems like Ryu does well against him though

abuse his really bad recovery pre limit break and if your opponent uses forward smashes a lot at you just try to bait it

but yeah try to your best to get him off stage before he gets limit (at least thats how i get my butt kicked lol)

So my favorite thing in this game now is getting the weird hatemail in 1v1 For Glory matches via their nicknames or whatever. Regardless of whether I win or lose people go on a rant for a good minute about how much I suck, like last night I lost to a guy and he changed his name to YOURGOOD to NOTREALLY to GIT*GUD to F^G. A very classy gentleman.

So now my mission in this game is to find more like him, as there seems to be an abundance of nickname trash talk in For Glory, and troll the hell out of them for the hatemail. Feels like Dark Souls all over again. It's gonna be so fantastic when Bayonetta hits tomorrow.

Codeblue

So my favorite thing in this game now is getting the weird hatemail in 1v1 For Glory matches via their nicknames or whatever. Regardless of whether I win or lose people go on a rant for a good minute about how much I suck, like last night I lost to a guy and he changed his name to YOURGOOD to NOTREALLY to GIT*GUD to F^G. A very classy gentleman.

So now my mission in this game is to find more like him, as there seems to be an abundance of nickname trash talk in For Glory, and troll the hell out of them for the hatemail. Feels like Dark Souls all over again. It's gonna be so fantastic when Bayonetta hits tomorrow.

I've seen "YOU SUCK" and "GET CANCER".

I know I gotten stuff like "FCKYOU" and "KILLYOSELF" from a guy who thinks he's as good as Hax. There are quite a few others slurs I've been "given" so I think you'll find other people like him soon enough.

RomanceDawn

I've been called NIGGER a few times. I wish I had HOWDU NO? on hand lol.

I've reported them but I can't imagine it really does anything. We should do an experiment. I want to call one of you a name in the character selection screen and then report me. I want to see what actually happens. Though I doubt Nintendo records or sees the character select portion in any way. Of course getting matched up on For Glory with on of you would be really difficult. Though it has happened a few times.

105.Will

I love these. Some guy game me URGAY and BROKEN the other day. I'm sitting here like "it ain't my fault you air dodged into a Roy f-smash at 100%"

leroidys

This seems to be way more frequent lately. I've even had people go off on me when they win.

My favorite was beating a pretty good little Mac two rounds in a row with prepatch Lucas due to reads and good off stage play. The guy then writes

ALL
YOU
DO
IS
GRAB

When Lucas had one of the worst grabs in the game. So I relented and wrote back GIT GUD before he quit.

Also a Dr Mario (who won) calling me a FKN SPAMMER. Dude, half of the screen is pills.

Other than that it's just pretty standard abuse.

Messages like those are part of the reason I use "Good Game" as often as possible even when I lose badly (which is often). Another reason is I've realized how much better I feel about losing when someone gives a "GG". Sore winners are worse than sore losers to me, because you at least have the satisfaction that you've won. I don't want to negatively impact someone's experience with the game. Trash talk is only good with friends, it's annoying anywhere else.

In other online fighting games, they usually have dedicated rooms for the 1v1 play since that is what they are made for. In those rooms you can have a few decent people with only one jerk if any, it's more helpful if you happen to have the power to kick those mean-spirited players out of the room. However, in Smash Bros., when you are doing 1 on 1 in for glory, you are stuck with each other until someone leaves. Which is why I think it's even more important to know where you stand with them. I know I wouldn't want to play someone who only thinks I'm spamming, even if I don't know they think that.

Saying "Good Game" lets people know that I'm trying to have a good time, and there are no hard feelings. I don't know if it's because of that, but I've found some decent experiences when I started with saying "Good Game" so much. I can't really explain it, but it feels like my opponent loses some hostility when I say "Good Game" at the end of a match, like they are playing for fun more than to win. I've even had some people taunt after the "GO!" before starting their attack. I have other phrases like "WOW!" "NICE" and "GGLOL (used only for when I make a stupid mistake or something crazy happens)" and it's nice to be responded with similar things from others. I'm not trying to make friends with this, I just think meeting hostility with hostility is just a huge pain and I'm not an expert at trash talk or at this game.

Although it is frustrating when someone leaves before I say "Good Game" or when I get insulted anyway, but I try to keep at it. Maybe some of you should try and just through out "GGs" more often. Even in For Fun or Team Battles, it might help if only a little.

Messages like those are part of the reason I use "Good Game" as often as possible even when I lose badly (which is often). Another reason is I've realized how much better I feel about losing when someone gives a "GG". Sore winners are worse than sore losers to me, because you at least have the satisfaction that you've won. I don't want to negatively impact someone's experience with the game. Trash talk is only good with friends, it's annoying anywhere else.

In other online fighting games, they usually have dedicated rooms for the 1v1 play since that is what they are made for. In those rooms you can have a few decent people with only one jerk if any, it's more helpful if you happen to have the power to kick those mean-spirited players out of the room. However, in Smash Bros., when you are doing 1 on 1 in for glory, you are stuck with each other until someone leaves. Which is why I think it's even more important to know where you stand with them. I know I wouldn't want to play someone who only thinks I'm spamming, even if I don't know they think that.

Saying "Good Game" lets people know that I'm trying to have a good time, and there are no hard feelings. I don't know if it's because of that, but I've found some decent experiences when I started with saying "Good Game" so much. I can't really explain it, but it feels like my opponent loses some hostility when I say "Good Game" at the end of a match, like they are playing for fun more than to win. I've even had some people taunt after the "GO!" before starting their attack. I have other phrases like "WOW!" "NICE" and "GGLOL (used only for when I make a stupid mistake or something crazy happens)" and it's nice to be responded with similar things from others. I'm not trying to make friends with this, I just think meeting hostility with hostility is just a huge pain and I'm an expert at trash talk or at this game.

Although it is frustrating when someone leaves before I say "Good Game" or when I get insulted anyway, but I try to keep at it. Maybe some of you should try and just through out "GGs" more often. Even in For Fun or Team Battles, it might help if only a little.

The internet needs more people like you. This post made me smile.

Ah the hate messages. I remember beating a lucario ( I was link) who kept rolling to a certain part of the stage every time when i approached. I baited the roll out of him and beat him with an up smash. He wrote i sucked so I just said gg (good game) lol.

Beat one guy 10 times straight with various characters and he too tells me I suck lol.

Cody_D165

Banned
win several games against same person

stop trying, pick low tier and press buttons, drop a single game

"LMAO"
"YOURE BAD"
"LOSER"
"LOL"

Never change, For Glory.

105.Will

Sometimes, if some just beats my ass for like 5 games straight than leaves, I wish there was an invite or message system so I could ask them to keep playing me or ask what I did so wrong that a loud him to body me. Than I think about the amount of hate mail I would get and forget about that dream

Hylian7

I've never noticed people doing the name change thing to me, just never really paid attention to it.

Beating large amounts of people with Palutena is always fun though. She's a fun character to use, despite being such a low tier.

Funny story, a few weeks ago, I was playing 1v1s with a friend, we were picking off characters, so I was Mewtwo, he was Mario. I charged a neutral B fully and was fairly close and threw it at him. He caped it, and I side B'd it back for a KO. I love how they have changed Mewtwo's Side B since Melee.

JulianImp

Funny story, a few weeks ago, I was playing 1v1s with a friend, we were picking off characters, so I was Mewtwo, he was Mario. I charged a neutral B fully and was fairly close and threw it at him. He caped it, and I side B'd it back for a KO. I love how they have changed Mewtwo's Side B since Melee.

Confusion working the way it did in Melee was... confusing, to say the least.

By the way, when's Bayo?

Top Bottom