• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Hylian7

I'm still trying to figure out Bayonetta. Getting rekt online a lot as her, but have pulled out some wins. One thing I can't remember, and I'll have to go look at the direct video again, but what is the normal air combo. Here's what I've been doing:

Heel Slide (hold) > Witch Twist > After Burner Kick > After Burner Kick (opposite direction). I can't figure it out after that.

Regiruler

Crazy orders has the entire CD catalog, right? I can grind that to get all of the CDs?

I don't feel like doing a lazy man way of doing it but I don't want it to take forever either, so I feel CO is a nice middle ground that at least gives me an opp for practice with bayonetta.

Puruzi

Banned
I'm still trying to figure out Bayonetta. Getting rekt online a lot as her, but have pulled out some wins. One thing I can't remember, and I'll have to go look at the direct video again, but what is the normal air combo. Here's what I've been doing:

Heel Slide (hold) > Witch Twist > After Burner Kick > After Burner Kick (opposite direction). I can't figure it out after that.

up air, bair, or fair

Beats

More Marth stuff in 1.14:

Jab1, Jab2
Tipper hitbox X value change 6.5 → 7

Ftilt
Tipper X 6.7→7.7

Dtilt
Sour hitbox Y 3.2→2.7, X 15.2→16.7 (hitbox not tied to sword, those numbers aren't as silly as they sound)
Tipper hitbox X 6.7→8.2

Nair
Hit 1 tipper X 6.7→7.7
Hit 2 tipper X 6.5→7.5

Fair
Tipper X 6.7→7.7

Bair
Tipper X 6.7→7.7

Utilt, Fsmash, Usmash, Dsmash, Uair, Dair
Same hitboxes

tl;dr - sword/tipper is longer for many attacks and dtilt reaches further below the ledge

From here: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-final-content-1-1-4-patch-discussion.430033/page-14#post-20841443

I'm playing with my brother and my cousins. I'm pretty terrible with Ryu, even though I know getting in is not a good idea but I always get myself in and get punished lol. Any videos on Ryu that I can learn ways of getting in?

Same way you play against all swordies with huge range. Tons of empty jumps, block when you need to, and move in whenever you can. Harass with aerials when you're super close to her and clean off stocks with true shoruken. It's tough, because she's much better at keeping you out from the air than most swordsmen, but she can't actually kill you unless she gets a hard read/edgeguards, so you have a buffer.

So which aerials should I use when I get close to them?

JulianImp

I'm playing with my brother and my cousins. I'm pretty terrible with Ryu, even though I know getting in is not a good idea but I always get myself in and get punished lol. Any videos on Ryu that I can learn ways of getting in?

I'm not too knowledgeable about Ryu, but I think his fair, nair and bair are all pretty good.

Something I've noticed is that Ryu often likes walking more than running to afford the chance of stertign tilt combos up, since following up tilts with stuff such as true shoryus makes him a real threat with little risk involved.

PK Gaming

Fair, Uair (if she's above you), Dair... tbh, I don't really follow Ryu, but this should show you how Ryu gets in vs. Robin

If you really want to get good with him i'd recommend following this guide

For those Bayonetta 0 to death combos can people actually dodge out of them? On youtube it seems like they cannot and it is an instant kill. I'm sure it depends on weight or something though.

Hylian7

I'm pretty sure Bayo has no true 0-death combos.

Yeah, she definitely doesn't. Even with the long combos, she has a lot of landing lag and that can definitely be a chance to strike back.

Lots of people thought she would be able to juggle anyone all the way to the blast zone, but you simply can't. Even at high damage it's unlikely you can.

JulianImp

For those Bayonetta 0 to death combos can people actually dodge out of them? On youtube it seems like they cannot and it is an instant kill. I'm sure it depends on weight or something though.

I only browsed SmashBoards to check how the hell I was supposed to do a downward side-b, but while I was there I noticed the Bayo boards said many of her combos can be thwarted with proper DI, and that playing her requires getting good at predicting DI to adapt your combo strings on the fly.

Besides, there're several parameters that can modify combos and follow ups, including weight, fall speed, DI and damage on both players (due to rage).

I still don't know what the heck I'm doing when playing Bayo, as I keep doing unsafe stuff and don't know how to properly string her moves together yet. She's a really fun character with all her jumps and cool stuff such as her bullet arts, and then there's that crazy counter that apparently counts like a dodge as well, protecting Bayo from grabs during its active frames. Uair and nair's lingering hitboxes are also great to catch airdodge-happy opponents with as well, which is pretty cool.

leroidys

Man, the G&W buffs in the latest patch are fucking awesome. I feel like I finally have a chance against more than half of the roster.

I played a couple of matches with Bayonetta against Corrins and to my surprise, I couldn't win much at all. I really want to main Bayonetta but Corrin pretty much eats her alive and given that online is full of Corrins, I feel I am losing my touch. Help? I don't understand how I am supposed to kill with crap throws and predictable smashes. Witch time? Ah, a good corrin sees it from a mile away.

Laws00

Cajo_Drg_UMAAP3gm_jpg_large.jpg

Enjoying the new additions to the roster. Don't know why, but put in a marathon of Smash for Wii U today. Going on a solid twelve hours. Geeze.

In my defence, it's a darn good game.

Hylian7

I feel like Corrin's counter is vastly overestimated. In my experience, I feel like it's fairly easy to see coming. The times I've died to it, I knew it was my fault immediately after.

I feel like Corrin's counter is vastly overestimated. In my experience, I feel like it's fairly easy to see coming. The times I've died to it, I knew it was my fault immediately after.

It kills *super* early for a counter. At least with Bayonetta there's a few hang ups that can mess you up, and I don't even think you can really kill as fast with that anyway.

Apenheul

I'm just a casual player but today I attended my first (private) Smash tournament with some people I knew. All I can think of right now if why have I never played Smash this way before.. I mean, I still suck at the game but I've been playing Smash for six hours non-stop today, only won maybe four or five friendlies and lost all the other matches, but I had some of the best moments I ever had with video games.

Just wanted to share that..

ChrisD

So I recorded my last five matches (well, recorded the replays). The video is unlisted, don't worry about me just fishing for views.

I got utterly demolished in my first three against the same guy, and almost lost in the last two against two different people despite having a pretty good advantage early on.

I'm not sure if this is looked down on, but could anyone who's good at this game watch these and tell me what the * I'm doing wrong and should seriously focus on improving - especially so in the first three (no need to watch the last two if you don't want)? I got shredded by a Palutena. Surely something will stand out for somebody that knows what they're actually doing. :L

The failed recovery is pretty rare for me now, don't know how I did that when it should never happen as Corrin with a solid wall to scale. Other than that I don't know what I'm looking for that just REALLY needs improved on.

Thanks in advance to anyone with the time that doesn't mind.

And while waiting on the video to upload I lost to the definition of projectile-spam Link. Twice. How do you powershield with any inherent online delay. I swear, that's something even I shouldn't lose to, but those small pauses throw me completely off. And it's only about .2 seconds.

Richie

Playing the Game Boy demos on Smash. The Gamepad feels pretty good for those GB games and the image is clear on the TV. I wonder what prompted them to emulate 2 3DS-only games solely for 3 minute demos. Really thought this was a sneak peak at the Wii U VC including GB titles in the future.

So I recorded my last five matches (well, recorded the replays). The video is unlisted, don't worry about me just fishing for views.

I got utterly demolished in my first three against the same guy, and almost lost in the last two against two different people despite having a pretty good advantage early on.

I'm not sure if this is looked down on, but could anyone who's good at this game watch these and tell me what the * I'm doing wrong and should seriously focus on improving - especially so in the first three (no need to watch the last two if you don't want)? I got shredded by a Palutena. Surely something will stand out for somebody that knows what they're actually doing. :L

The failed recovery is pretty rare for me now, don't know how I did that when it should never happen as Corrin with a solid wall to scale. Other than that I don't know what I'm looking for that just REALLY needs improved on.

And while waiting on the video to upload I lost to the definition of projectile-spam Link. Twice. How do you powershield with any inherent online delay. I swear, that's something even I shouldn't lose to, but those small pauses throw me completely off. And it's only about .2 seconds.

Hey, at least you won a couple! I enjoyed watching that.

I don't have any advice because I'm a noob myself. I only have a 3DS to play the game, but I haven't even played Smash since the last DLC was released. I want to get Corrin though!

Don't use Corrin's projectile against a character with a reflector if you don't seriously know what the fuck you're doing. They'll just reflect it at you and then you're fucked. You learned that the hard way I guess. In general though, use that move to get someone to come close to you or to make things harder for someone who's recovering. Don't just use it because you can.

Stop spamming your fsmash. If you miss you're going to get punished so fucking hard. Focus on using it when it's safe. For example, paralyzed opponent = fsmash. Opponent in helpless state from up+B = fsmash. Opponent who just whiffed a laggy move = fsmash. Opponent who is just standing there = DON'T fsmash unless you want to die. This is especially true offline where it's very easy to shield that move on reaction (It can also be done online but it's lag dependent). In general, smashes with Corrin should be used to punish.

For general purposes, use Corrin's jabs and tilts instead. You'll get owned less and that's very nice. This applies to most characters BTW.

Stop using side+b for no reason. It's basically a giant "PLEASE PUNISH ME!" sign. Use it to edgeguard, punish, or recover.

Tone down your roll spam. Like, I noticed that if you shielded then you mostly rolled, and if you didn't do that then you generally full-jumped. Be more deliberate with when you roll.

If you aren't facing Bayonetta, never, ever, ever use your dash attack to approach. Only use it to punish.

Grabbing's good but try to work on cutting down your whiff rate. lol

But seriously you'll be fine if you stop doing things that are easy to punish so often. >_>

I would say post-patch Lucina is better than Corrin TBH and I would put Marth as better than both.

JulianImp

I'm not a competitive-caliber player by any means, but here goes:
  • Game 1 (vs Palutena): Lots of mis-spaced attacks, and you should know better than using neutral B against Palutena, since the start-up lag means she can reflect it on reaction without too many issues, and her low endlag plus your deflected stun means she can do some scary follow-ups. For the final (failed) edgeguard, you should've used side B get an extra jump and make it back. I also noticed you used the grab attack too much, resulting in escapes; as a general rule of thumb (since grab attack speed varies by character), I'd suggest doing a single grab attack per every 30-40% damage your opponent has on them.
  • Game 2 (vs Ryu): You were still using aerials from way farther than you should have (like those bairs and fairs right before Ryu scored his first KO), and I also think I noticed a lack of DI on some strong attacks (like the usmash right before he KOed you a second time). Also, I noticed you did a weird edgeguard attempt when it was clear Ryu was going to recover high that ended with you hanging from the edge, which isn't a good place to be by any means. Like with the previous game, it's the second time I notice you do a side-b follow-up off the edge, which is a really bad idea since it's almost like getting your opponent stuck on edge of the stage in a regular fighting game but then throwing them behind you; center stage is a big advantage, so turning the tables on yourself with an easily shielded attack isn't a good idea most of the time.
  • Game 3 (vs DK): Here you have slightly better spacing, but DK's appears to be better. You do too many dairs into the ground, which isn't nearly as bad as spamming rock as Kirby, but it gets close since doing them often makes you really predictable and easier to punish. DK also failed that final cargo throw (he should've thrown back to stage spike you), but you could've actually recovered from deeper to make yourself harder to edgeguard (don't bair so close to your opponent, since the hitboxes don't protect you from the front and you're unable to airdodge to get out of sticky situations, and you could've kept your sideB for jumping off of the stage walls if you hadn't used it so early).
  • Game 4 (vs Falco): That first upB was really unsafe, and wouldn't have had enough of an upside even if it had connected IMO. I think you also should mix up your uthrow follow-ups, possibly doing empty jumps to bait air dodges out and then punish with a delayed aerial. Being against Falco, I think you were also overusing neutral B, since a better player could've deflected them way more often.
  • Game 5 (vs Robin): I noticed you did the "side B and go flying offstage" thing twice, which isn't good, and you also failed to punish arcfire while being right next to him twice (his endlag is bad, but not bad enough to allow you to land a charged dsmash). Still, you had better spacing this time around and the sideB fake-out was pretty interesting.

If I had to give you a couple suggestions, I'd go for:
  • Don't do unnecessary attacks or rolls when you're too far away, since you might open yourself up by mistake (mindgames and reads notwithstanding). Learn how to space by walking and dashing more and rolling less, and try to memorize your attacks' ranges so that you're less likely to, say, miss neutral B into fsmash
  • You don't dash attack too much, but I'd suggest that you use it even less if you can. Except for a couple of them, they're all relatively easy to punish unless you space them well
  • If you have your opponent near the edge of the stage, don't do anything that'd make you potentially end up switching places, since you'd be swapping 90% stage control for their 10% (having more space means you have more freedom to pull back if you feel threatened, while being near the edges takes that advantage away)
  • Corrin's bair is a great spacing tool, so I'd suggest that you use it more. It'd be a good idea to practice doing RAR (dashing in a direction and quickly turning around right before jumping to be able to use bairs towards your opponent)
  • Don't hold the button until the end of Corrin's neutral B to get slightly less ending lag if your enemy's far away, since you have no use for the bite in those circumstances
  • Take mental notes of when you're repeatedly using any single attack (fair, bair, grabs), and try your best to avoid doing that in the future. Mixing up your attacks makes you harder to predict and punish, which is always a good thing

RedSwirl

So I just took a look at the complete DLC bundles (they're done with DLC for this game right?) and... can I just get a GOTY edition of the game or something? I only own the 3DS version so far but plan to get the Wii U version since I only just got a Wii U.

I know the NX version is probably gonna be a complete edition, but I gotta believe Nintendo wouldn't leave Wii U and 3DS owners still looking to buy Smash on those systems without an option to get the game and DLC without paying $100+, not when it still seems to be devoted to releasing 3DS and Wii U software this year.

So I just took a look at the complete DLC bundles (they're done with DLC for this game right?) and... can I just get a GOTY edition of the game or something? I only own the 3DS version so far but plan to get the Wii U version since I only just got a Wii U.

I know the NX version is probably gonna be a complete edition, but I gotta believe Nintendo wouldn't leave Wii U and 3DS owners still looking to buy Smash on those systems without an option to get the game and DLC without paying $100+, not when it still seems to be devoted to releasing 3DS and Wii U software this year.

Ask yourself this: when, and how many times, has Nintendo ever released a "complete edition" when it comes to their games and DLC?

ChrisD

Holy... I do roll too much. It's so obvious once pointed out.. I'm having to actively not roll, like I'm fighting with my own mind's habits.

Any dash attacks were a result of the short delay I speak of with power shielding. I never dash attack offline. It's supposed to be a tilt or neutral. :/

Thanks for all the point-outs, and further tips. I'm going to rewatch each match with the posts in mind...And attempt to work on each point with focus. Especially the rolling and randomly throwing out moves just because. I'm still losing a load (1/13 so far in my current session) but if I can say I at least worked on one of the trash habits of mine that gives a reason to keep playing, even when I'd otherwise feel like I'm bashing my head against a wall.

I was aware of reflect on Falco, but he didn't seem to know what that was, so I played with more projectiles than you should. Palutena? No excuses.

This, and other than that, they haven't often had chances to release complete editions of games because DLC wasn't really a thing until this gen for them.
They released one complete edition that was essentially packaging a game and its standalone expansion pack together. I'm not sure this can be compared to Smash.

Plus, I don't think a single other Nintendo published game has received a "Complete edition" of any sort. I don't see why they'd put resources into porting Smash 4 to NX when they'd honestly be better off focusing on new projects first and foremost.

Hylian7

They released one complete edition that was essentially packaging a game and its standalone expansion pack together. I'm not sure this can be compared to Smash.

Plus, I don't think a single other Nintendo published game has received a "Complete edition" of any sort. I don't see why they'd put resources into porting Smash 4 to NX when they'd honestly be better off focusing on new projects first and foremost.
Well new Smash games don't come out of thin air. If a Smash really is launching with NX, I think it's reasonable to believe it is a "complete" version of this game. I mean the game has gotten to the "where do you go from here?" point, and releasing a complete version of this game would make a ton of sense, especially if it really is an NX launch title.

Thinking that Nintendo would not only port Smash 4 to the NX, but include all the DLC, is so confusing. I can't think of any part of it that would make sense, given Nintendo's history and from their business perspective.

Hylian7

Thinking that Nintendo would not only port Smash 4 to the NX, but include all the DLC, is so confusing. I can't think of any part of it that would make sense, given Nintendo's history and from their business perspective.
But does it seem reasonable for them to crank out a new Smash game in less than 2 years? I mean the fact that NX was brought up so soon because of the Wii U's status is already very different for Nintendo.

I don't see it happening. It'd be too soon considering how recently the last DLC items released. If Nintendo released a "complete" version of the game within the following year, it'd screw over the people that had been buying the DLC this whole time.

I only see two ways Smash 4 will be on NX if it is indeed coming to NX. Either the NX will be backwards compatible with Wii U games or eShop purchases will carry over so that people who bought the DLC on Wii U can redownload whatever they purchased already for use with the hypothetical NX port of the game.

Top Bottom