• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

I don't see it happening. It'd be too soon considering how recently the last DLC items released. If Nintendo released a "complete" version of the game within the following year, it'd screw over the people that had been buying the DLC this whole time.

I only see two ways Smash 4 will be on NX if it is indeed coming to NX. Either the NX will be backwards compatible with Wii U games or eShop purchases will carry over so that people who bought the DLC on Wii U can redownload whatever they purchased already for use with the hypothetical NX port of the game.

What about $40 base, then $60 complete? Saves you $20 if you have the DLC already.

Yes, it counters both specials and physical moves.

Cool. I wasn't sure because it seems to do a counter-attack, but I'm not sure how that would work from far away. I had fun playing online with teams. It might be easier to test the counter in 1v1s, but I'm not sure how to test something like that in single-player because the CPU opponents are kind of random.

Cool. I wasn't sure because it seems to do a counter-attack, but I'm not sure how that would work from far away. I had fun playing online with teams. It might be easier to test the counter in 1v1s, but I'm not sure how to test something like that in single-player because the CPU opponents are kind of random.

Like any counter, you use it when you predict they are about to hit you. Just don't be predictable in using it, because then they will predict you instead.

Unless you're Bayonetta. Then you just throw out Witch Time.

Like any counter, you use it when you predict they are about to hit you. Just don't be predictable in using it, because then they will predict you instead.

Unless you're Bayonetta. Then you just throw out Witch Time.

So you got Bayonetta as well as Corrin? I don't even know what Witch Time does. I don't usually play as girls besides just trying them out.

So you got Bayonetta as well as Corrin? I don't even know what Witch Time does. I don't usually play as girls besides just trying them out.

Yeah, I decided to get Bayonetta myself a couple days ago. I only got Corrin because it was cheaper splitting with you.

Witch Time is a Counter that slows the opponent down instead of dealing direct damage and knockback. While slowed, Bayonetta can attack the opponent, and it allows KO setups at high % by giving free smash attacks. It has such a huge reward that missing a couple doesn't matter too much.

What about $40 base, then $60 complete? Saves you $20 if you have the DLC already.

Having the DLC for $20 would still be very disingenuous to people that have already purchased DLC as getting all the new fighters alone is $35. Then there's the $11 stage DLC pack along with the Mii Costumes.

I just don't see Nintendo doing that, especially not this soon. One of their main talking points about NX and their plans for the future is streamlining and optimizing their account system so if I had to put money on anything I'd wager that DLC purchases on the Wii U version would carry over to an NX Smash 4 port, if such a title even happens.

Bayonetta's infections confidence and attitude might change that for you. ;)
Yeah, I decided to get Bayonetta myself a couple days ago. I only got Corrin because it was cheaper splitting with you.

Witch Time is a Counter that slows the opponent down instead of dealing direct damage and knockback. While slowed, Bayonetta can attack the opponent, and it allows KO setups at high % by giving free smash attacks. It has such a huge reward that missing a couple doesn't matter too much.
I wouldn't say this is entirely right about Bayonetta. Yes, you can miss a few here and there, but each on you miss not only A) makes it more predictable when you're going to, but B) also not only shortens the active window for it, but also the window that they are slowed down for. You still need to be picky with it.

Having the DLC for $20 would still be very disingenuous to people that have already purchased DLC as getting all the new fighters alone is $35. Then there's the $11 stage DLC pack along with the Mii Costumes.

I just don't see Nintendo doing that, especially not this soon. One of their main talking points about NX and their plans for the future is streamlining and optimizing their account system so if I had to put money on anything I'd wager that DLC purchases on the Wii U version would carry over to an NX Smash 4 port, if such a title even happens.

Yeah, definitely they are going to keep the DLC from the Wii U version if an NX version arrives.

Maybe the NX version will contain a "retro levels" pack? I don't know whatever gives me Fountain of Dreams.

I don't know anything about the NX, but I think if it comes out this year, it would make sense to have Smash 4 on it instead of making a new one, which could take a while. I never had a Wii U, but I do want to get the NX. I think it would be better playing on a real controller too. I don't know how they will handle the DLC.

I hope they add Shovel Knight to the roster. He has an Amiibo already.

The only DLC character on 3DS I might still want to get is Mewtwo for now. I might get some of the other stages as well. Who knows?

GOTY editions happen all the time in the gaming industry (some happening fairly soon after the DLC is done releasing), and Nintendo themselves have bundled DLC with games several times before (NSMBU+NSL and Mario Kart Wii U bundles). In Mario Kart's case, it was only about 6 months after the final DLC released.

By the time Smash NX comes out, the first waves of DLC will be pushing two years. That's not really too soon at all.

Hylian7

Just because the "GOTY edition" would release the later same year as the last bit of DLC doesn't mean those that bought the base game and DLC are "screwed over" somehow, unless the NX were to not have backwards compatibility at all. Those that bought the base game and DLC may be able to get some discount on a potential NX version. On top of that, they have been enjoying all of it longer than the people that waited for the NX version.

It's like when Team Fortress 2 went free to play, and a bunch of people that bought the game when it came out felt "ripped off", because all they got was a silly hat. They were playing the game for like 3 years before everyone else when it wasn't free to play.

ChrisD

Got crushed by a ROB.
Had a rematch.
Brought game to 30 seconds left and eked out a win. :D

Found out in the first game that trying to play a game of "come to me" against someone with two projectiles doesn't result in joy lol.

I'd be fine if they made a GotY/Complete edition come November or whatever. It's a way to let new players in without such a large wall. We (anyone who already owned the game) were given content a bit at a time. It's easy to deal with whenever you're just spending $6-$12 every few months. You have to think from the mind of someone who just bought the game, and is met with this giant $35 purchase for their $60 game on "Day One" + $10 more if they want all the Stages.

I doubt Nintendo will do it, but I say good on them if they do.

Hylian7

I had a weird thing happen in FG 1v1 yesterday twice, where I played a match or 2 against an opponent, was waiting in the practice another, and the other player left and 5 minutes went by without finding a new one. I quit back out to the menu and re-entered 1v1, and got someone new pretty much instantly.

I had a weird thing happen in FG 1v1 yesterday twice, where I played a match or 2 against an opponent, was waiting in the practice another, and the other player left and 5 minutes went by without finding a new one. I quit back out to the menu and re-entered 1v1, and got someone new pretty much instantly.

Yeah that happens sometimes.

When I was playing one of my matches on 3DS, in one of the stages, a GIANT DOG covered practically the whole screen so I could not see anything. I don't know if that's an assist trophy or something like a stage hazard, but it was very annoying.

Hylian7

When I was playing one of my matches on 3DS, in one of the stages, a GIANT DOG covered practically the whole screen so I could not see anything. I don't know if that's an assist trophy or something like a stage hazard, but it was very annoying.

I'm guessing you were playing For Fun? That's an Assist Trophy, the Nintendog.

Regarding stage hazards and items, I really don't have a problem with them. A lot of people like to call the stages in Smash 4 "bad" because they have ridiculous stage hazards, but I think those things are fun in a more casual 4-8 player environment. Obviously you don't have to play those stages, as the disabling stages in random stage select option exists, and your standard Battlefield, Omega Forms, and Final Destination aren't going anywhere, as well as other such as Smashville, Town and City, etc. I can see why Sakurai put stages with hazards, they can be fun just because of how whacky they are, when it's not a particularly competitive environment.

I'm guessing you were playing For Fun? That's an Assist Trophy, the Nintendog.

Regarding stage hazards and items, I really don't have a problem with them. A lot of people like to call the stages in Smash 4 "bad" because they have ridiculous stage hazards, but I think those things are fun in a more casual 4-8 player environment. Obviously you don't have to play those stages, as the disabling stages in random stage select option exists, and your standard Battlefield, Omega Forms, and Final Destination aren't going anywhere, as well as other such as Smashville, Town and City, etc. I can see why Sakurai put stages with hazards, they can be fun just because of how whacky they are, when it's not a particularly competitive environment.

Yeah, it was a for fun team battle. Stage hazards usually aren't too over the top from my experience and usually make them more fun to play. I don't like dying if the screen scrolls me off though.

ChrisD

I didn't know teabagging was a thing in Smash, but I guess I should know better since it's super commonplace in Splatoon of all games.

Mario the teabagging Mario player, I would have rematched you but I'm not playing with half-second input delay more than once, sorry. I don't like dying twice because my Up-B turned into a Side-B due to a convenient pause in the receiving of inputs.

I'd like to play For Fun, but I very rarely get a game that's not a slideshow. I've had perfectly clear games in the mode before, so I don't know what the deal is. It's largely my fault since I'm on Wi-Fi *cough*Nintendo'sfaultfornoethernetport*cough* but I wonder if it's all on me or a combined "Everyone's internet sucks" case.

FSLink

Banned
I didn't know teabagging was a thing in Smash, but I guess I should know better since it's super commonplace in Splatoon of all games.

Mario the teabagging Mario player, I would have rematched you but I'm not playing with half-second input delay more than once, sorry. I don't like dying twice because my Up-B turned into a Side-B due to a convenient pause in the receiving of inputs.

I'd like to play For Fun, but I very rarely get a game that's not a slideshow. I've had perfectly clear games in the mode before, so I don't know what the deal is. It's largely my fault since I'm on Wi-Fi *cough*Nintendo'sfaultfornoethernetport*cough* but I wonder if it's all on me or a combined "Everyone's internet sucks" case.

Get an ethernet adapter, it helps. Still have like 1/10 games be complete unplayable garbage, but considering I'm in Hawaii that's not too bad.

ChrisD

I have like no money to spend towards games/accessories (without a horrible conscience) right now after shelling $160 out in the last two weeks for pre-orders, Corrin, and some stages. The cheapest adapter I've seen is something like $15 shipped. Every time I get back into an online game on the Wii U I'm reminded of the ethernet stupidity (or in the case of Splatoon, don't feel the need for it), and just happen to be coming off of a large spending. =L

Also I just don't like the concept of paying for what should have been built-in. I'll get it at some point, it's just gonna' have to overlap with a time where I'm both playing an online Wii U title (Smash/Mario Kart) and haven't spent too much on games in the past month.

I hopped into For Fun after my last post for curiosity's sake. There was a Bayonetta on the left corner just crouching all game... and a Link on the right corner spamming arrows and crouching up and down all game. When it ended the two changed their names to "STUPID" and "DONTFIGHT" respectively.

I don't think I understand this concept of fun. @.@

I have like no money to spend towards games/accessories (without a horrible conscience) right now after shelling $160 out in the last two weeks for pre-orders, Corrin, and some stages. The cheapest adapter I've seen is something like $15 shipped. Every time I get back into an online game on the Wii U I'm reminded of the ethernet stupidity (or in the case of Splatoon, don't feel the need for it), and just happen to be coming off of a large spending. =L

Also I just don't like the concept of paying for what should have been built-in. I'll get it at some point, it's just gonna' have to overlap with a time where I'm both playing an online Wii U title (Smash/Mario Kart) and haven't spent too much on games in the past month.

I hopped into For Fun after my last post for curiosity's sake. There was a Bayonetta on the left corner just crouching all game... and a Link on the right corner spamming arrows and crouching up and down all game. When it ended the two changed their names to "STUPID" and "DONTFIGHT" respectively.

Maybe this would help? (unless you don't live in the USA)

And yeah, dumb children can have the weirdest sense of fun for some reason. It's silly, but it leads to a whole new kind of fun when you intentionally piss them off and they all go after you lol.

They were most likely trying to start a Taunt Party. In Taunt Parties, players will simply goof around instead of fighting each other by doing this like; taunting, grabbing without pummels or throws, spamming harmless moves and ect. Usually a person initiates a Taunt Party, by not attacking anyone and taunting or crouching rapidly, that person would also try using bright pink colors to show friendliness, if everyone notices and agrees to this, then a Taunt Party can start. However, if a single player fights anyway, the other three will gang up against them until the non-compliant player leaves. These team ups will usually have them hit each other and then self-destruct just to prevent the the player from winning. Sometimes they will even use the character that single player is using just to add insult to injury.

I've had others gang up on me a few times, though I didn't understand why until I discovered this term. To be honest, I can't be 100% against Taunt Parties, since it just seems like a way to make friends for some people or rather just not having to take something seriously. However, I can't stand the idea of teaming up against a single person who may not even know what a Taunt Party is.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm still unconvinced about completed version because they need to split the profits with third party companies for their licenses.

ChrisD

I found out about the 8-Player Smash glitch earlier today.

I give to you, eight Robins in one.

5QFgRoeh.jpg
There's a lot of good (and freaky) stuff to have fun with. Villager is top tier demon-spawn when morphed

Edit: Two players in a row with the Mii's name including n***er. One of them literally being "DeadN***er" with the in-game name being Hitler. Is my only option here seriously just blocking through Recently Played list? I want a way to straight-up report in hopes of the profile being banned from online.

My niece had just walked out of the room when they popped in. That I have to worry about things like that on a Nintendo console of all things.

ESRB's "Online interactions" has never been more relevant. It's a good thing they got a catch-all, otherwise ever online game would be rated AO.

leroidys

Man, just lost a nailbiter with some dial-a-combo mario player named Landi. By nailbiter, I mean we each had dealt exactly 249%, and we were both well into kill percent and rage when the match ended. I change my name to "GG", like I always do. Then the winning player goes

"LOL"
"DOUBT*IT"
"B!TCH"

Like, what the fuck? Of course I just left, but running into so many assholes online is really wearing out my love for this game. Ugh.

Puruzi

Banned
I don't really care if people call me names while i'm playing

I don't even leave anymore

Sometimes they leave right after, but if they don't I just beat them until they leave

RomanceDawn

Man, just lost a nailbiter with some dial-a-combo mario player named Landi. By nailbiter, I mean we each had dealt exactly 249%, and we were both well into kill percent and rage when the match ended. I change my name to "GG", like I always do. Then the winning player goes

"LOL"
"DOUBT*IT"
"B!TCH"

Like, what the fuck? Of course I just left, but running into so many assholes online is really wearing out my love for this game. Ugh.

Landi huh? I'm going to look this guy up and try to face him. One day I'll meet one of these guys and I'm sure I'd be tempted to physically strike them. Maybe i'll just pretend to trip and spill food on him.

105.Will

"LOL"
"DOUBT*IT"
"B!TCH"

I might have fought this guy, and I might have a video of me destroying him. I'll check tomorrow :)

Mugiwara

Neo Member
For you guys who play regularly online, do your matches lag? I've been away from the game for a long time and booted it up because of the DLC but my online experience has been terrible. I have a suspicion it has to do with something on my end but I was just wondering if anybody else had issues.

Also, why is it that sometimes people playing For Fun mode don't fight? People just stand around or taunt. What's the point of doing that for 2 minutes? I get doing it at the beginning of the match, but a whole round of it seems kind of pointless.

I just want to have some online fun =(

For you guys who play regularly online, do your matches lag? I've been away from the game for a long time and booted it up because of the DLC but my online experience has been terrible. I have a suspicion it has to do with something on my end but I was just wondering if anybody else had issues.

Also, why is it that sometimes people playing For Fun mode don't fight? People just stand around or taunt. What's the point of doing that for 2 minutes? I get doing it at the beginning of the match, but a whole round of it seems kind of pointless.

my online has been generally okay a lot of people here are recommending an ethernet cable and an adapter since it should help your connection.

as for the taunting online in for fun there is a post explaining it a few posts above

They were most likely trying to start a Taunt Party. In Taunt Parties, players will simply goof around instead of fighting each other by doing this like; taunting, grabbing without pummels or throws, spamming harmless moves and ect. Usually a person initiates a Taunt Party, by not attacking anyone and taunting or crouching rapidly, that person would also try using bright pink colors to show friendliness, if everyone notices and agrees to this, then a Taunt Party can start. However, if a single player fights anyway, the other three will gang up against them until the non-compliant player leaves. These team ups will usually have them hit each other and then self-destruct just to prevent the the player from winning. Sometimes they will even use the character that single player is using just to add insult to injury.

I've had others gang up on me a few times, though I didn't understand why until I discovered this term. To be honest, I can't be 100% against Taunt Parties, since it just seems like a way to make friends for some people or rather just not having to take something seriously. However, I can't stand the idea of teaming up against a single person who may not even know what a Taunt Party is.

in case u miss it

105.Will

I have the Ethernet adapter and It usually varys for me. I have some really good matches on For Glory and some really REALLY bad ones. The For Fun modes naturally have more lag because you're connecting to more people.

As for your second question this should answer it.

This is my first time hearing about this.

EDIT: beaten

Mugiwara

Neo Member
Thanks for the replies. If the only way to play is with the Ethernet adapter then no thanks. I can't believe connecting with 3 other players over wifi isn't doable.

As for Taunt Parties, I get wanting to goof around but it seems like every For Fun match I've had is just goofing around. Feels like I'm forced to play For Glory if I want to actually fight.

Hylian7

Thanks for the replies. If the only way to play is with the Ethernet adapter then no thanks. I can't believe connecting with 3 other players over wifi isn't doable.

As for Taunt Parties, I get wanting to goof around but it seems like every For Fun match I've had is just goofing around. Feels like I'm forced to play For Glory if I want to actually fight.
I'm going to guess your WiiU and TV aren't near your router. I suggest looking into Power line Network adapters. Basically they use power outlets and provide an adapter to plug cables into.

JulianImp

More players requires the game synching between more people who might be far away from each other, and that means speed/ISP problems and ping add up quickly. I can often play one-on-one fine, except some people give me either regular lag or input lag, bbut I won't play For Fun because I know being in Argentina means it's highly likely that a four player game would lag like hell for me.

RedSwirl

That's terrible. Not even on 3DS?

WiFi is pretty much my only option if I get the Wii U version.

Brofield

Taunt parties are the stupidest things and I hate them with a passion. NoFunAllowed.jpg me for those who feel so inclined, but this is why I hate going online with this game when I just want to fight without going into For Glory where I know I'll have my ass handed to me.

While I'm building on this pent up rage, does anyone else feel an internal cringe everytime they see the character screen with all the DLC? I mean...the layout just looks so wrong

Alternate the 11 and 12 character rows if you must, please!

FSLink

Banned
Taunt parties are the stupidest things and I hate them with a passion. NoFunAllowed.jpg me for those who feel so inclined, but this is why I hate going online with this game when I just want to fight without going into For Glory where I know I'll have my ass handed to me.

While I'm building on this pent up rage, does anyone else feel an internal cringe everytime they see the character screen with all the DLC? I mean...the layout just looks so wrong

Character select screen looks loads better now than before where Zelda and Link were awkwardly separated from the rest of the Zelda crew, etc.

Not the best looking character select but I like it just fine now.

Just delete your Miis and it will look much better.

It's kind of lame that you can't change your character's color in 3DS Smash online. I always get the green and white Mega Man, and I can't change him.

Is this true on Wii U also?

Top Bottom