• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

JulianImp

You definitely can. I can't remember the buttons, but it is either L/R or X/Y, or maybe both.

Yeah, I think either of those work. Maybe you can't repeatedly tap over your character with A to toggle colors, but I always used X/Y since it's been that way since Melee.

Something cool the 3DS version does is that it remembers which character colors you last used, rather than always using the default color whenever you select a character.

Doesn't A just select the character with the colour already set? The 3DS version saves the last colour you selected.

I meant pressing A over the character's portrait on the bottom screen. That changes the color in single player.

I haven't heard of it remembering your last color, but if so, I'll have to figure out a way to override it.

JulianImp

I meant pressing A over the character's portrait on the bottom screen. That changes the color in single player.

I haven't heard of it remembering your last color, but if so, I'll have to figure out a way to override it.

You can't override it, but it isn't like you can't just select a new color whenever you feel like it. I actually like that way better than what the WiiU does, which is always using the default color scheme.

It would've been cool if the game saved your color scheme preferences on a per-profile basis, and that'd only take 3 bits per character per profile.

You can't override it, but it isn't like you can't just select a new color whenever you feel like it. I actually like that way better than what the WiiU does, which is always using the default color scheme.

It would've been cool if the game saved your color scheme preferences on a per-profile basis, and that'd only take 3 bits per character per profile.

That's the problem. It won't let me select a new color the usual way I do it. I'm going to try pressing L/R or X/Y soon though.

You definitely can. I can't remember the buttons, but it is either L/R or X/Y, or maybe both.

Edit: OK pressing X/Y and L/R did it. Thanks for the help!

Vena

Hum...

Not sure how I feel about the Ike/Bayo match up. Ike's Up-B has always been terrible and easy to gimp, so that's not really much of a difference, but Bayo makes a mockery of that recovery (though she's not the only one). Ike's still got so many issues in his off-stage survival, though, irregardless of character.

Witch Time sure has the possibility of shutting down a lot of match-ups really unfavorably it seems but that may just be an early over-estimation of the move over other counters. Match ups against her will definitely be favoring to good command grabs, though, it feels like.

Any idea on the Mewtwo/Bayo match-up?

Hum...

Not sure how I feel about the Ike/Bayo match up. Ike's Up-B has always been terrible and easy to gimp, so that's not really much of a difference, but Bayo makes a mockery of that recovery (though she's not the only one). Ike's still got so many issues in his off-stage survival, though, irregardless of character.

Witch Time sure has the possibility of shutting down a lot of match-ups really unfavorably it seems but that may just be an early over-estimation of the move over other counters. Match ups against her will definitely be favoring to good command grabs, though, it feels like.

Any idea on the Mewtwo/Bayo match-up?
I haven't played it, but almost guaranteed bad for Mewtwo because of her harassment ability.

Madao

anyone else having trouble connecting the 3DS version online? i've been trying since yesterday and nothing. the stupid game just plain refuses to connect.
there's no error number or anything. just a "a communication error has ocurred" message after sitting there trying to connect for a while.
at this rate i'm gonna miss the conquest results.

anyone else having trouble connecting the 3DS version online? i've been trying since yesterday and nothing. the stupid game just plain refuses to connect.
there's no error number or anything. just a "a communication error has ocurred" message after sitting there trying to connect for a while.
at this rate i'm gonna miss the conquest results.

I played one match earlier tonight, but on the second match I got that same error. I know they just did some maintenance, could be a bug of some sort from that. (Also on 3DS).

ChrisD

Had my butt handed to me five times in a row against some Greninja/Luigi player named DooM. Fitting name because I think it thoroughly crushed my spirits. I'm emotionally drained, like I don't even know if I want to play for the next few days.

The guy was moving at a breakneck pace, had perfect positioning on-ground, and after every stock he moved around doing what I assume are sort of hand-warmers, because it was faster than my reflexes ever will be. Dash shuffling, hopping off stage/back on, jumping/dropping, more shuffling... It looked like a Melee player's speed.

...Greninja is low on tier lists, isn't he.

FSLink

Banned
Had my butt handed to me five times in a row against some Greninja/Luigi player named DooM. Fitting name because I think it thoroughly crushed my spirits. I'm emotionally drained, like I don't even know if I want to play for the next few days.

The guy was moving at a breakneck pace, had perfect positioning on-ground, and after every stock he moved around doing what I assume are sort of hand-warmers, because it was faster than my reflexes ever will be. Dash shuffling, hopping off stage/back on, jumping/dropping, more shuffling... It looked like a Melee player's speed.

...Greninja is low on tier lists, isn't he.

Greninja is considered mid tier-ish. He's honestly not too bad to fight against, but you have to be aware of what his tools are. They will tend to approach with dash grab or nair, and will be defensive with ftilt/jab/Water Shuriken/Hydro Pump. Be wary of his sideB too. Watch for his shadow on the ground, and be aware that he can use it in the air to read air dodge attempts.

ChrisD

Thanks for the quick run-down.

The dash grabs were very real. The guy never really went on the defensive because he reacted faster than I could process what was on-screen.

I knew that this game is fast-paced when on a competitive level, but I never thought I'd see it. Though I guess that is running on the assumption a matchmaking system was in place. Why wouldn't I see it if it's 100% random.

JulianImp

The dash grabs were very real. The guy never really went on the defensive because he reacted faster than I could process what was on-screen.

I knew that this game is fast-paced when on a competitive level, but I never thought I'd see it. Though I guess that is running on the assumption a matchmaking system was in place. Why wouldn't I see it if it's 100% random.

There's no matchmaking AFAIK, so you can get paired with really good players, people who know a single combo and do nothing outside of that (ie: ZSS who do neutral B into grab even if they miss the paralyzer shot), or even Kirby rock spammers. The best part of seeing move spammers is that it's a good way to learn how to deal with those moves in case you aren't that used to them.

Sami+

lol. My buddy's a Melee player Greninja main. I'm used to that at this point just from playing him so much.

I really need to practice my inputs and combos, but fuck man labbing is so boring. I gotta tho. Yesterday I realized that my mixup game was tight and I had a lot of really close sets against genuinely good players, but I was very narrowly missing my air follow ups and Smashes because of flubs. Sonic main here, so being hella fast and precise is a must.

One of these days I'm going to make the Florida Power Ranking. One of these days.

lol. My buddy's a Melee player Greninja main. I'm used to that at this point just from playing him so much.

I really need to practice my inputs and combos, but fuck man labbing is so boring. I gotta tho. Yesterday I realized that my mixup game was tight and I had a lot of really close sets against genuinely good players, but I was very narrowly missing my air follow ups and Smashes because of flubs. Sonic main here, so being hella fast and precise is a must.

One of these days I'm going to make the Florida Power Ranking. One of these days.
You're a Sonic main? Got any basic tips for Sonic? I usually play characters with some range attacks but he doesn't have any.

Sami+

You're a Sonic main? Got any basic tips for Sonic? I usually play characters with some range attacks but he doesn't have any.

Just make sure to know your approach options and mix things up. A good (aggressive) Sonic is always mobile and when played right can really get into the opponents head to bait punishable moves. His off stage game is good- off stage Fair can kill at high percentages and Dair is a spike if you sweet spot it (just make sure your vertical position is equal to or above the stage when you do it, otherwise you'll SD). Spindash and throw combos are your bread and butter, and Sonic's pivot grab is fucking AWESOME so practice that!

Just make sure to know your approach options and mix things up. A good (aggressive) Sonic is always mobile and when played right can really get into the opponents head to bait punishable moves. His off stage game is good- off stage Fair can kill at high percentages and Dair is a spike if you sweet spot it (just make sure your vertical position is equal to or above the stage when you do it, otherwise you'll SD). Spindash and throw combos are your bread and butter, and Sonic's pivot grab is fucking AWESOME so practice that!

Cool. I'm on a 3DS, maybe I'll mess around with him in single player some. I don't know how to pivot grab.

Sami+

Cool. I'm on a 3DS, maybe I'll mess around with him in single player some. I don't know how to pivot grab.

Dash past your opponent, turn immediately, grab while Sonic is in the turning animation. In the Wii U version you can see that you got it right from the animation- no lag on the grab, plus his hands grow a lot if you got the pivot right. If you time it wrong he'll either stumble a bit with his dash grab animation or just do a normal neutral grab. Pivot has the most range of the three grabs.

He's the most fun character by far for me. LOVE playing as him- you can win by being a Seagull Joe campy bitch if you're a loser OR you can be hyper aggressive and make your opponent feel like they're fighting a bullet because Sonic is just that fast.

Dash past your opponent, turn immediately, grab while Sonic is in the turning animation. In the Wii U version you can see that you got it right from the animation- no lag on the grab, plus his hands grow a lot if you got the pivot right. If you time it wrong he'll either stumble a bit with his dash grab animation or just do a normal neutral grab. Pivot has the most range of the three grabs.

He's the most fun character by far for me. LOVE playing as him- you can win by being a StaticManny campy bitch if you're a loser OR you can be hyper aggressive and make your opponent feel like they're fighting a bullet because Sonic is just that fast.

That grab sounds pretty hard to do. I am thinking about changing the button for grab from L to X or Y to make it easier to reach. I don't really use grabs too much but someone mentioned a dash grab and I'm going to start using that. Otherwise most grabs don't have terribly good range.

I usually play Mega Man BTW, and I like Corrin too.

Sami+

That grab sounds pretty hard to do. I am thinking about changing the button for grab from L to X or Y to make it easier to reach. I don't really use grabs too much but someone mentioned a dash grab and I'm going to start using that. Otherwise most grabs don't have terribly good range.

I usually play Mega Man BTW, and I like Corrin too.

It's not too bad, just takes a bit of practice. I'm working on it myself. Sonic's pivot is super fast and since he dashes so quickly it's a good mixup to keep in mind if your opponent is shielding or ready to spot dodge in anticipation for a dash attack or dash grab.

If I'm just playing friendlies for fun I like Jigglypuff, but I really only consider myself good with Sonic.

entremet

So are we considering Corrin female or male?

The default is male, but most people refer to Corrin using female pronouns.

I don't mind. I just found it interesting.

Also, I don't think her counter is that OP.

http://www.twitch.tv/pixelholicsgaming/v/43414507

Me and Anonymous Tipster won a doubles tournament. Our grand finals set should start around 1:24:45
Nice work!

Did you see her counter kill Bayonetta at 60%?

I think it's reasonable to refer to Corrin as either.

Puruzi

Banned

the people that play as fem corrin use her/she etc

male=he/him etc

entremet

Nice work!

Did you see her counter kill Bayonetta at 60%?

I think it's reasonable to refer to Corrin as either.

On ground level?

I play with mostly middle to heavy characters so I haven't noticed. I do rock a Greninja, but he's been on the bench recently as I've been trying to get my Ryu up to speed.

For use when talking about Corrin:

008WCTE.jpg

I found a mistake in the 3DS manual. For Lucario's side-B, it says "A blast of aura energy. Will grab opponents if their close enough." It should be "if they're close enough" meaning "if they are close enough." It's a homonym, so I guess it is a common mistake.

ChrisD

Wait have you seriously never played me?

I've never played anyone on GAF. Not even on 3DS, for some reason.

By the time Wii U launched I wasn't really interested in the game much anymore. Corrin pulled me back in.

Edit: Why is Bayonetta's D-Air risk-free, why does it grant a huge, easy spike, and how come Corrin doesn't get the same treatment.

Top Bottom