• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

The Adder

Banned
Was at the bottom of the page, so quoting myself:

Roy was my main back in the day, and despite how differently he plays it still feels like coming home. Anyone up for a match, I'm going to lose even harder than usual because I haven't quite gotten the hang of him and I'm doing risky shit I don't do with anyone else just because of how good it feels, but I want the practice.

Lucas was one of my Brawl mains too.

Codeblue

Lucas is so good. My only issues with him are the huge endlag on PK Thunder, and I don't know how to KO without dthrow into Uair.

Psi Magnet has ridiculous knockback on it and has been amazing for edgeguarding for me, and his bair has an amazing angle on it so you can stay on the stage and go for a spike.

Knowing dthrow to uair worke would have done me a world of good earlier. Thanks for the tip.

Wow, Mewtwo actually got a nerf. -_- Fewer characters land on the Battlefield platform after Confusion now.

Psi Magnet has ridiculous knockback on it and has been amazing for edgeguarding for me, and his bair has an amazing angle on it so you can stay on the stage and go for a spike.

Knowing dthrow to uair worke would have done me a world of good earlier. Thanks for the tip.
You're welcome. Dthrow to Uair kills at about 120%.

Does Psi Magnet ever kill?

Bair hits below the stage?

Lucas is so good. My only issues with him are the huge endlag on PK Thunder, and I don't know how to KO without dthrow into Uair.
His fsmash is a ton quicker than ness' bat and it kos quite early. Easy to catch people off
Guard with it. His bthrow is quite powerful and will kill earlier than dthrow if he is near the edge of the stage.

His fsmash is a ton quicker than ness' bat and it kos quite early. Easy to catch people off
Guard with it. His bthrow is quite powerful and will kill earlier than dthrow if he is near the edge of the stage.
Yeah, I got that Bthrow kills near ledges (at around 110%). Fsmash is pretty weak in this game, though, and I don't have a good way to set it up. I feel like he needs to KO with ledge guard tech, since he has two spikes, PK Freeze, and PK Thunder.

Edit: oh yeah, chaining Nair against heavies 5x in a row is really fun. Pewpewpew.

The Adder

Banned
I don't know what I'm doing with Lucas, so I'm just kind of trying stuff out, seeing what works. I changed my color though.

I basically stopped coming after you... And stopped being Golden Boy Roy. Both entirely against type for me.

You've been throwing out a lot more of Lucas' heavy end lag moves ever since, so I went on the offensive this last match.

Codeblue

Wow, Mewtwo actually got a nerf. -_- Fewer characters land on the Battlefield platform after Confusion now.

You're welcome. Dthrow to Uair kills at about 120%.

Does Psi Magnet ever kill?

Bair hits below the stage?

What I meant was hitting with Psi Magnet off stage sends opponents at an awkward angle and has decent knock back from what I could tell the couple of times I landed it.

With Bair, it sends opponents at an angle instead of straight down so it's a little more versatile than most spikes. I don't think it actually hits below the stage.

I'm sure all of that is old news to everyone, but those were my kill options before I read your post.

The Adder

Banned
GGs Adder. Learned a lot about Lucas from those games.

GGs, ditto me and Roy. Although I'm still very much inclined to drench him in gold and run around like an idiot with a flaming sword...

Still! I'm liking the changes they've made on him, and it feels reeeeeally good to sweet spot with him.

FSLink

Banned
Yeah, I got that Bthrow kills near ledges (at around 110%). Fsmash is pretty weak in this game, though, and I don't have a good way to set it up. I feel like he needs to KO with ledge guard tech, since he has two spikes, PK Freeze, and PK Thunder.

Edit: oh yeah, chaining Nair against heavies 5x in a row is really fun. Pewpewpew.
Dthrow to utilt works really well against heavies too (and works against most of the cast). Dair->utilt->nair->nair->uair

<3

One thing I need to get used to is after playing tons of Ness I tend to want to hit nair to get out of stuff. Wouldn't be a huge deal since Lucas's nair is pretty good but I tend to accidentally get rope snake. :p

What I meant was hitting with Psi Magnet off stage sends opponents at an awkward angle and has decent knock back from what I could tell the couple of times I landed it.

With Bair, it sends opponents at an angle instead of straight down so it's a little more versatile than most spikes. I don't think it actually hits below the stage.

I'm sure all of that is old news to everyone, but those were my kill options before I read your post.
Ah, thank you for clarifying.

Dthrow to utilt works really well against heavies too (and works against most of the cast). Dair->utilt->nair->nair->uair

<3

One thing I need to get used to is after playing tons of Ness I tend to want to hit nair to get out of stuff. Wouldn't be a huge deal since Lucas's nair is pretty good but I tend to accidentally get rope snake. :p
It took me a while to get used to letting go of shield before I did OoS Nair. I also has to swap my X button because I had it as grab for IADs, but with Lucas it pulls the snake out. Lost my first two matches hard because I was trying to air dodge out of shield but got the snake. :p

I really don't get his PK Thunder, though. Enormous recovery, PK Thunder 2 didn't even kill at 100%, and PK Thunder 2 goes so ridiculously far that I have SDd after landing it mid screen. It could be good for the ledge guard roll setup Shamrock uses, but it isn't safe on hit. It feels like it needs significantly less recovery to be useful.

Also, this makes it clear that Ness' customs are insanely OP, since they keep Ness' frame data for the most part.

Finally, today I learned that most of Smashboards wants Ness nerfs. Feels absurd to me, because I think Ness is extremely well balanced right now.

Finally, today I learned that most of Smashboards wants Ness nerfs. Feels absurd to me, because I think Ness is extremely well balanced right now.

Balanced compared to what, though? He's without a doubt top 10 and has very few weaknesses.

I'm not out calling for blood, but if I had to pick someone to nerf, he's not very far down my list.

I will say he and luma sure as hell didn't need any buffs.

Edit: I think it's great that you're liking Lucas though. I've been hearing pretty good things!

Ricky 7

Charizard's uthrow now KOs earlier than Mewtwo's.

-_-

Yeah, it's apparently the strongest Up Throw in the game now as it should be considering the animation of the move. Charizard also has the longest non tether grab so I can see this boosting him straight to mid-high tier.

Yeah, it's apparently the strongest Up Throw in the game now as it should be considering the animation of the move. Charizard also has the longest non tether grab so I can see this boosting him straight to mid-high tier.

So, I read that with no DI it kills sooner than Mewtwos, but with proper DI Mewtwo's kills slightly sooner. Forgot the numbers, but it's supposedly due to the angle of the throw?

Balanced compared to what, though? He's without a doubt top 10 and has very few weaknesses.

I'm not out calling for blood, but if I had to pick someone to nerf, he's not very far down my list.

I will say he and luma sure as hell didn't need any buffs.

Edit: I think it's great that you're liking Lucas though. I've been hearing pretty good things!
Balanced, when I use it, means beatable within reason. Ness is strong, but I have beaten Shamrock plenty of times, and he is the best Ness I have ever seen or played against. Shamrock beats me more than I beat him, but he is also a better player than I am.

In an ideal world, every character is strong in different ways, but has nothing mindless, cheap, spammy, etc. I can't say any of these things apply to Ness. He has to work hard for his kills. I imagine each character as having an archetypic ideal, and I try to get them there while keeping everything fair.

I suppose I would have to ask: what could even be nerfed on Ness that would be reasonable? PK Fire is punishable, PK Thunder can be killed, PK Flash is junk outside of shield breaks, Psi Magnet is highly situational, his aerials outside of Fair have weak range, and he needs Fair for maintaining space, his ground attacks all have weak range or awkward spacing (yoyo)...

At most, he could use a slight damage reduction, because he builds % crazy fast. However, he always has to take big risks to get those hits in, and he has to spend most of the fight maneuvering for precise strikes. He can also be killed extremely early due to the large startup on PK Thunder. I tend to take Ness as a character that shifts from a low risk low reward neutral to a high risk high reward neutral, and the exchange is that he can be shut down early on if you play your cards right.

A character like Mega man is entirely low risk low reward, but he lives an extemely long time to balance out his slow and procedural gameplay style.

Mewtwo is high risk medium reward, all the time. :(

Ricky 7

So, I read that with no DI it kills sooner than Mewtwos, but with proper DI Mewtwo's kills slightly sooner. Forgot the numbers, but it's supposedly due to the angle of the throw?

Could be, I'm just going off what I read on the Charizard board on Smashboards, haven't had much time to test it out myself. Still though I'm glad it's on about the same level.

Balanced, when I use it, means beatable within reason. Ness is strong, but I have beaten Shamrock plenty of times, and he is the best Ness I have ever seen or played against. Shamrock beats me more than I beat him, but he is also a better player than I am.

In an ideal world, every character is strong in different ways, but has nothing mindless, cheap, spammy, etc. I can't say any of these things apply to Ness. He has to work hard for his kills. I imagine each character as having an archetypic ideal, and I try to get them there while keeping everything fair.

I suppose I would have to ask: what could even be nerfed on Ness that would be reasonable? PK Fire is punishable, PK Thunder can be killed, PK Flash is junk outside of shield breaks, Psi Magnet is highly situational, his aerials outside of Fair have weak range, and he needs Fair for maintaining space, his ground attacks all have weak range or awkward spacing (yoyo)...

At most, he could use a slight damage reduction, because he builds % crazy fast. However, he always has to take big risks to get those hits in, and he has to spend most of the fight maneuvering for precise strikes. He can also be killed extremely early due to the large startup on PK Thunder. I tend to take Ness as a character that shifts from a low risk low reward neutral to a high risk high reward neutral, and the exchange is that he can be shut down early on if you play your cards right.

A character like Mega man is entirely low risk low reward, but he lives an extemely long time to balance out his slow and procedural gameplay style.

Mewtwo is high risk medium reward, all the time. :(

I'm not taking shots at Shamrock or anything. He's really good regardless of who he plays. I'm not even saying Ness is unmanageable or super unfair. I'm just saying compared to the majority of the characters, there aren't many ahead of him who I would adjust first if my arm was twisted.

If you're asking me what exactly I would nerf, I'd say two moves: His back-throw and his neutral air.

Back throw needs no explanation, but his grab, dash-grab, and pivot grab are all decent to great and the reward is a an opponent's stock. His throw has always been good, but I think the knockback could be adjusted downwards a bit.

Neutral air, is extremely fast, relatively low risk and a kill move at higher percents. On top of his already amazing air game, this move could use an adjustment to either its speed or knockback, in my opinion.

That's all I'd really do. His Up+B is easy for some characters to punish (Rosie & Villager come to mind) but it's so incredibly strong that it's a huge risk for some characters to attempt to challenge it off stage.

That said, like most people, I'm more in favor of buffing characters who need it as opposed to nerfing the top.

And hey, I know everyone likes to think it's all lemons and Metal Blades with Mega Man, but a huge number of his moves are extremely risky. They also happen to be his only kill moves outside of back air: Up-Smash, Up-Tilt, Down-Smash, Down-air and Forward-Smash. If those aren't the definition of commitment, I don't know what is!

Could be, I'm just going off what I read on the Charizard board on Smashboards, haven't had much time to test it out myself. Still though I'm glad it's on about the same level.

It was like a 2-3% difference, but yeah they're basically the same.

Forkball

So these are all the alternate specials right?

Hadoken
OG Hadoken via input
Shakunatsu Hadoken (red)

Shoryuken
OG Shoryuken via input

Tatsumaki Senpukyaku
OG Tatsumaki Senpukyaku via input

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Anyone got the press kit pics for ryu, roy and lucas?

So these are all the alternate specials right?

Hadoken
OG Hadoken via input
Shakunatsu Hadoken (red)

Shoryuken
OG Shoryuken via input

Tatsumaki Senpukyaku
OG Tatsumaki Senpukyaku via input

Yep.

ffdgh

*goes onto For Glory, fights a player using Roy*

... It's weird having a Smash Game where Roy is better than Marth in pretty much every way

It really helps that his tipper center is waay more forgiving comopared to Marth and roy's melee self. And that speed and down throw combos <3.

The Adder

Banned
Absorb it, then recover.

No, as the Lucas player you wait for the Ness to PK Thunder. Yours should reach him just as his PK Thunder connects. It reduces the distance Ness travels and doesn't give him his recovery back. Unless my opponents were already hopelessly far away, but I'm pretty surr they were within the usual travel distance of an uninterrupted PKT.

No, as the Lucas player you wait for the Ness to PK Thunder. Yours should reach him just as his PK Thunder connects. It reduces the distance Ness travels and doesn't give him his recovery back. Unless my opponents were already hopelessly far away, but I'm pretty surr they were within the usual travel distance of an uninterrupted PKT.
Sounds rather difficult.

Don't know if this has been discussed before, but is Dreamland 64 legal for ranbats?
I plan on adding it next season; give people time to get used to the stage.

Did they say when we'll be able to upload replays to youtube? Looking forward to that.
Nope.

Top Bottom