• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

SaikyoBro

Brawl was in an unfortunate position where the project plan was finalized shortly before Sakurai knew anything about the Wii (the console was still referred to as Revolution in his plan). Brawl released in early 2008 without characters or stages from 2006-2007's biggest games: Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and Super Mario Galaxy. Granted, nobody was really clamoring to play as Rosalina or the Wii Fit Trainer back in those days, but Brawl felt more like a celebration of the GameCube era than an actual Wii game.

I'd like to chip in saying that when Brawl was released, even in Japan we already had Super Mario Galaxy and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. There was practically no mention of Galaxy in Brawl, and Ike used his Path of Radiance design from 2005. Of course, this had to do with the game's roster probably being finalized before the Wii was released, and no doubt Sakurai had slimmer pickings back then. After all, Rosalina hadn't proved herself yet and he had already eliminated later newcomers like Villager and the Mii Fighters.

Given the emphasis of newcomers from veteran series (Dedede and MK, Lucario and Pokemon Trainer, Diddy Kong, Ike, Lucas, Zero Suit Samus, and Wolf versus ROB, Pit, Olimar and the third parties repping new series) with nobody debuting from a game later than '05 you've got some kind of argument for Brawl's roster feeling outdated.

Good points, especially in regards to stage selection. Looking at the stage selection just about every one of them is a GameCube or DS game (Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Pokemon Diamond/PEarl, Pictochat, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, F-Zero GX, arguably MGS Twin Snakes, the list goes on). Other than a few exceptions like Halberd or Norfair, there were very few retro or classic stages, and a lot of the ones that they did have felt really forced (75m and Mario Bros.).

The other Smash games don't really have this problem. Melee had a really great and balanced selection imo; Majora's Mask, Earthbound, Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Mario 64, Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 2, Kirby's Adventure, Ice Climber, a really good variety (though admittedly there was a considerable less amount of material to work with back then).

Smash 4 also does a pretty decent job; you have lots of modern stuff like Skyward Sword or Mario Galaxy, but also Wrecking Crew, Kirby's Dream Land, Mega Man 2, Pilotwings, Kirby Super Star, Street Fighter II, Balloon Fight, Duck Hunt, Star Fox Assault (a decade old game at this point) and even Pac-Land of all things. I also think the fact all the stages are blended together instead of being separated by pages the way they were with Brawl helps paint a more complete picture; just looking at the past stages you see games represented from Earthbound to Super Mario Sunshine.

The only disappointing part is that between transitions we seem to have lost almost every N64 stage, the only exception I can think of being the 3DS version having Corneria and the new Gerudo Valley. We could use some Great Bay or Peach's Castle from Melee if you ask me.

Just when I think I'm getting good with Roy, I play someone who knows him way better than me lol. Switched back to Fox and 2-stocked him, so I guess I may as well go back to space animals. :p

Just when I think I'm getting good with Roy, I play someone who knows him way better than me lol. Switched back to Fox and 2-stocked him, so I guess I may as well go back to space animals. :p
That's how learning a new character goes, but you've forgotten because you are so set with your current mains. I am still taking Mewtwo to new levels every week. I think my play against TWILT last night was my cleanest and most fluid yet.

That's how learning a new character goes, but you've forgotten because you are so set with your current mains. I am still taking Mewtwo to new levels every week. I think my play against TWILT last night was my cleanest and most fluid yet.
You think so, huh? I don't know how you do it, usually once I find a main I'm set no matter how much they get nerfed. This game it took me until I started leveling up my Fox and Mario to figure out who I main. :3

Maybe I'll just toss Roy into the secondary pile while I focus on my go-to characters, at least I fortunately don't main a low-tier. (Not trying to throw shade or anything, just saying)
So what's everyone up to

Oh you know, just being scrubs and playing Lucas/Roy/Ryu for a week until we all go back to our mains again.

jorgejjvr

You think so, huh? I don't know how you do it, usually once I find a main I'm set no matter how much they get nerfed. This game it took me until I started leveling up my Fox and Mario to figure out who I main. :3

Maybe I'll just toss Roy into the secondary pile while I focus on my go-to characters, at least I fortunately don't main a low-tier. (Not trying to throw shade or anything, just saying)

Oh you know, just being scrubs and playing Lucas/Roy/Ryu for a week until we all go back to our mains again.
Haha makes sense

Haven't played anyone good with those characters, I'm more interested in playing against them with Mac than playing with them

Haha makes sense

Haven't played anyone good with those characters, I'm more interested in playing against them with Mac than playing with them

Done with Ryu already?

No worries, man. You enjoy your high tier character.

How do I do it? It's a lot of things:
1) A ton of patience.
2) Bitching a lot when I lose and feel like I can't do it anymore.
3) Constantly re-evaluating my play.
4) Experience maining characters that are far worse off than Mewtwo.
5) Re-gauging my perspective by going to familiar territory sometimes. This one might sound odd, but when I play Mewtwo, sometimes I'm so frazzled by the new experience that my fundamentals and basic good habits disappear. I'm running and spamming dash attack into spot dodges, etc. When I switch to Bowser, I re-establish a comfort level that allows me to analyze my opponent. I learn where the bad habits are, then I switch bad to Mewtwo, and I often do a lot better.

I think yesterday, playing against TWILT, was the first time I felt comfortable enough with Mewtwo to analyze my opponent's play habits. I would throw a Shadow Ball, dash in, but then jump back. TWILT rolled back 3 times in a row. So the fourth time, I dashed in and past where he was, and caught him on his roll. This is like the ABCs of my Bowser play, but after two months I'm just getting to it with Mewtwo...

Also, in his defense, I could tell that some of TWILT's good habits had disappeared because he was learning a new character, too! His evasion is usually more varied, but I think playing a new character makes a lot of people (including me) think "I need to get away, and that means rolling backward".

jorgejjvr

Done with Ryu already?

No worries, man. You enjoy your high tier character.

How do I do it? It's a lot of things:
1) A ton of patience.
2) Bitching a lot when I lose and feel like I can't do it anymore.
3) Constantly re-evaluating my play.
4) Experience maining characters that are far worse off than Mewtwo.
5) Re-gauging my perspective by going to familiar territory sometimes. This one might sound odd, but when I play Mewtwo, sometimes I'm so frazzled by the new experience that my fundamentals and basic good habits disappear. I'm running and spamming dash attack into spot dodges, etc. When I switch to Bowser, I re-establish a comfort level that allows me to analyze my opponent. I learn where the bad habits are, then I switch bad to Mewtwo, and I often do a lot better.

I think yesterday, playing against TWILT, was the first time I felt comfortable enough with Mewtwo to analyze my opponent's play habits. I would throw a Shadow Ball, dash in, but then jump back. TWILT rolled back 3 times in a row. So the fourth time, I dashed in and past where he was, and caught him on his roll. This is like the ABCs of my Bowser play, but after two months I'm just getting to it with Mewtwo...

Also, in his defense, I could tell that some of TWILT's good habits had disappeared because he was learning a new character, too! His evasion is usually more varied, but I think playing a new character makes a lot of people (including me) think "I need to get away, and that means rolling backward".
Haven't had too much time to put into him

Thanks Wynd for the matches! Seem like you had somebody else to play so I left!

Felt more like teaching games, but I appreciate it. It's nice to play with people with a higher level than for glory, so I can work on my spacing and stuff like that. Thanks!

Uhh...GG's I guess. Random joins kinda ruined it but oh well.

You tend to be overly aggressive leaving yourself wide open to most things. Try to slow down and watch the opponent a bit more. I'm basically automatically doing counter rush presses blindly.

I've decided to finally try and unlock a bunch of the additional attacks for all the characters. Can I unlock them on 3DS and transfer that to Wii U? And what way would you guys recommend going about unlocking all this stuff?

I've decided to finally try and unlock a bunch of the additional attacks for all the characters. Can I unlock them on 3DS and transfer that to Wii U? And what way would you guys recommend going about unlocking all this stuff?

You gotta unlock moves separately in each version unfortunately. However, you can unlock them all on one version and transfer sets of custom moves to the other without having to unlock them there.

For 3DS, spam Smash Run and the Classic Mode home menu trick. For Wii U, either use a turbo controller and spam Target Blast level 2 with Ganondorf's neutral B or Crazy Orders and some people vouch for Trophy Rush.

You gotta unlock moves separately in each version unfortunately. However, you can unlock them all on one version and transfer sets of custom moves to the other without having to unlock them there.

For 3DS, spam Smash Run and the Classic Mode home menu trick. For Wii U, either use a turbo controller and spam Target Blast level 2 with Ganondorf's neutral B or Crazy Orders and some people vouch for Trophy Rush.
Or he could just play DLC characters because they don't have customs, kappa.

Not sure I understand this part, haha.

Or he could just play DLC characters because they don't have customs, kappa.

Haha, Roy and Ryu are awesome. Im loving playing Roy again.

I dont like Lucas, but I havent liked playing as Lucas or Ness in any Smash....so I dont know why I bought him I guess, haha :p

My computer is taking 5 minutes to open a new tab right now (I don't have a lot of windows open, my computer just sucks), but I suggest going to Smashboards.com. There's a thread there about efficient custom grinding.

Crayolan

Someone 1v1 me.

My computer is taking 5 minutes to open a new tab right now (I don't have a lot of windows open, my computer just sucks), but I suggest going to Smashboards.com. There's a thread there about efficient custom grinding.

When you still have >50% of the customs to get, Crazy Orders.

When you have only 2-3 left per character, All Star Hard with the character you want customs for.

Lucian apparently has spoken lines after her counter now, giving her a personality buff that moves up her up to Still Low But Not As Low As Before Tier in the personality tier lists.

TWILT

Banned
I'd totally be okay if everyone wants to remove Halberd from the legal stage list btw. ;)

I always ban it in tourney/ranbats anyway.

Top Bottom