• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

I think Marth still has some things over Roy though. The most obvious one to me is that going offstage with Roy is pretty risky since he falls so fast and his recovery isn't super great. Marth also gets the option of a more horizontal recovery with customs which lets him go deep. Marth's overall reach with his moves is probably better than Roy's and tipper F-smashes are still pretty scary.

I haven't really put enough time into both of them to see what they have over each other beyond surface level stuff though.

Still, Marth gets ridiculous knockback from tipping with his fsmash and killing at low %s while Roy, well...

I was half-joking lol. Roy's recovery isn't as good, it's like a better version of the crescent slash (if I remember the name right) custom. Forcing Roy into a situation where he has to counter off-stage (without activating it) is practically a gimp because of that recovery though. His blade's tip is really really sad too.

You probably did that on purpose to make your opponent feel less intimidated.

Seriously, I shudder thinking how I'd go around playing against you one-on-one with all the trouble you gave my teammate and I even without your partner.

I guess it'd go like the last time I played against Puruzi, but something I like now is that I kind of feel like struggling so much against you guys is really worth it in the end. Me a couple of years back would've just ragequit after getting two-stocked a couple of times, but now I like the feeling of struggling and pulling a couple of good moves a lot more than bodying lesser players for free.

The only things that still make me rage are cheesy tactics I still haven't found a viable counter to (I'm looking at you and your dongbending, Nami).

Haha. Surely there must be better DK players on here than me. I can pick up custom Villager if you want even cheesier tactics.

Anyone still looking to play? Its been about 15 minutes since the last person asked, so I might as well ask.

The only time I've seen Roy fall to death is when people try to do a counter off-stage. The recovery time when it doesn't activate plus his fall speed has made for a lot of SD's. Haven't yet seen anyone struggle with the recovery itself.

Anyone looking to play?

RomanceDawn

When Mewtwo was revealed or released the smash site added 5 more empty slots next to him. Now that the latest trio is out they have filled in those spots and 2 are left. At least that's how it displayed to me on my mobile phone and home computer. What does it show on everyone else's Internet? 2 spaces, 0 or 5?

I know half of you will tell me it means nothing but I know in my heart of hearts all those extra slots wouldn't be left there on the main website without it causing some potential back fire.

What ever the case I think we have 4 characters left before the next smash. Ridley will be n/one of them. I can't believe we are already 4 DLC characters in already!

GGs, Ammo! Your Dedede is tough to hit because you attack fast, and I hated how that Gordo somehow saved you from death once! Wario is always fun to play, though you used a lot less dtilt than I would have. :p How'd you think of my day 3 Roy?

GGs, Ammo! Your Dedede is tough to hit because you attack fast, and I hated how that Gordo somehow saved you from death once! Wario is always fun to play, though you used a lot less dtilt than I would have. :p How'd you think of my day 3 Roy?
Yeah, I rarely use Dtilt with Wario. Sometimes I spam it to annoy people on for glory but that's about it :p. Your Roy was very good and hard to approach. I kept running into that side B and upsmash lol.

When Mewtwo was revealed or released the smash site added 5 more empty slots next to him. Now that the latest trio is out they have filled in those spots and 2 are left. At least that's how it displayed to me on my mobile phone and home computer. What does it show on everyone else's Internet? 2 spaces, 0 or 5?

I know half of you will tell me it means nothing but I know in my heart of hearts all those extra slots wouldn't be left there on the main website without it causing some potential back fire.

What ever the case I think we have 4 characters left before the next smash. Ridley will be n/one of them. I can't believe we are already 4 DLC characters in already!
Link?

Playing For Glory reminds me that I don't suck at this game, you're all just further above average than I am.
Haha, yes.

Ryce

So, Nintendo's Digital Event clearly sucked, but I'm sort of happy with how it turned out as a Smash Bros. fan.

• SF Zero Fox looks remarkably similar to his Smash Bros. incarnation. I was worried he'd have some drastic overhaul that would make his Smash Bros. incarnation obsolete, but luckily that isn't the case.
  • Toon Link is relevant again!
  • There aren't any more new IPs that will miss out on Smash Bros., like Splatoon.
I'm glad the Smash Bros. roster will feel somewhat updated/relevant for at least another year. That's a miracle considering Brawl felt two years out of date by the time it came out.

GG's. I'd play longer but have to head out. Your lucas is easily better than like 99% of those I've seen in FG lol.

Good games. I haven't played For Glory since the update came out so I have no idea what those people are doing.

Downloaded Lucas. Holy hell at his recovery with pk2 lol

The tradeoffs are that it has weak priority and PK Thunder has obscenely long recovery in general.

Downloaded Lucas. Holy hell at his recovery with pk2 lol

tumblr_ncvegf0AV21tr6b3ko1_1280.jpg

SaikyoBro

So, Nintendo's Digital Event clearly sucked, but I'm sort of happy with how it turned out as a Smash Bros. fan.

• SF Zero Fox looks remarkably similar to his Smash Bros. incarnation. I was worried he'd have some drastic overhaul that would make his Smash Bros. incarnation obsolete, but luckily that isn't the case.
  • Toon Link is relevant again!
  • There aren't any more new IPs that will miss out on Smash Bros., like Splatoon.
I'm glad the Smash Bros. roster will feel somewhat updated/relevant for at least another year. That's a miracle considering Brawl felt two years out of date by the time it came out.

Agreed on the point that Smash 4's roster feels very up-to-date. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that lots of these series have upcoming games (Yoshi's Island, Star Fox, Street Fighter, plus all the obvious ones like Mario or Zelda) Nintendo also did a generally much better job managing their series between Brawl and Smash 4 than between Melee and Brawl (reviving Punch-Out and Kid Icarus, saving Donkey Kong Country from spinoff hell, etc.).

Could you expand a little bit on Brawl's roster feeling outdated? I'm inclined to agree but I'm sure you can think of more examples than I can.

TWILT

Banned
GGs Nami. Not my best showing (being to recover with a Side B with Tatsumaki realllly does not carry over with Backslash), but you win some you lose some. Fun matches. Great Luigi and Yoshi as always.

GGs Nami. Not my best showing (being to recover with a Side B with Tatsumaki realllly does not carry over with Backslash), but you win some you lose some. Fun matches. Great Luigi and Yoshi as always.

GGs. You got me with quite a few traps that I shouldn't have fallen into. Some of those matches I would have a gigantic lead but you would turn it around. Still the best Shulk I know, and the only Link I know xD Your Ryu is also like 10x better than mine.

Ryce

Could you expand a little bit on Brawl's roster feeling outdated? I'm inclined to agree but I'm sure you can think of more examples than I can.
Brawl was in an unfortunate position where the project plan was finalized shortly before Sakurai knew anything about the Wii (the console was still referred to as Revolution in his plan). Brawl released in early 2008 without characters or stages from 2006-2007's biggest games: Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and Super Mario Galaxy. Granted, nobody was really clamoring to play as Rosalina or the Wii Fit Trainer back in those days, but Brawl felt more like a celebration of the GameCube era than an actual Wii game.

Agreed on the point that Smash 4's roster feels very up-to-date. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that lots of these series have upcoming games (Yoshi's Island, Star Fox, Street Fighter, plus all the obvious ones like Mario or Zelda) Nintendo also did a generally much better job managing their series between Brawl and Smash 4 than between Melee and Brawl (reviving Punch-Out and Kid Icarus, saving Donkey Kong Country from spinoff hell, etc.).

I'd like to chip in saying that when Brawl was released, even in Japan we already had Super Mario Galaxy and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. There was practically no mention of Galaxy in Brawl, and Ike used his Path of Radiance design from 2005. Of course, this had to do with the game's roster probably being finalized before the Wii was released, and no doubt Sakurai had slimmer pickings back then. After all, Rosalina hadn't proved herself yet and he had already eliminated later newcomers like Villager and the Mii Fighters.

Given the emphasis of newcomers from veteran series (Dedede and MK, Lucario and Pokemon Trainer, Diddy Kong, Ike, Lucas, Zero Suit Samus, and Wolf versus ROB, Pit, Olimar and the third parties repping new series) with nobody debuting from a game later than '05 you've got some kind of argument for Brawl's roster feeling outdated.

Then we look at Sm4sh's roster featuring the following characters repping a new series:
  • Villager (Animal Crossing)
  • Wii Fit Trainer (Wii Fit)
  • Mega Man (Mega Man)
  • Little Mac (Punch-Out!!)
  • Shulk (Xenoblade)
  • PAC-MAN (PAC-MAN)
  • Duck Hunt (Duck Hunt)
And that's not including newcomers from veteran series that came from recent games (Greninja, Dark Pit, Robin and Lucina, Bowser Jr. [Sunshine is recent right lol], Rosalina and Luma) and Ryu from Street Fighter, a DLC third-party character. Of course, this time there are far more options and no doubt Namco Bandai's help probably lead to some of these inclusions. Then, thanks to the Woolly World stage and references to still-current games like Splatoon, it all keeps Sm4sh feeling modern for probably the rest of the 3DS and Wii U's lifespans.

tl;dr I want Wolf as DLC and will willingly pay $7 for him and a stage consisting of Sakurai shitting on the faces of Ridley fans.

Edit: I just learned that 8-player FE!Roy matches drop the frame rate ever so slightly, to like 50 something.

Top Bottom