• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Anyone want to play for a little bit?

I just finished playing the worst human I have ever seen play this game. He played Little Mac and managed to beat my Ryu (not hard to do). After I won with Yoshi, he changed his name to "SPAMMER", "GRABSPM", "YouSuckKid", and throughout the matches many other names I don't even want to say. Needless to say, he was the one who sucked.

Beats

Good games Snacks.

Does Lucas' up-smash have armor? I tried to hit you out of it one time, but it didn't work and then I died. I think Roy gets gimped easily off stage. Not sure what I can do about that.

Only a little bit of armor. I've traded with it plenty of times.
Good games.

I just finished playing the worst human I have ever seen play this game. He played Little Mac and managed to beat my Ryu (not hard to do). After I won with Yoshi, he changed his name to "SPAMMER", "GRABSPM", "YouSuckKid", and throughout the matches many other names I don't even want to say. Needless to say, he was the one who sucked.

I never run into these nerds on For Glory. But I also don't play it anymore.

Dammit, finally bought an ethernet adapter to hopefully get some better connections with US people but my Wii U doesn't recognize it. It says on the box it's compatible with the Wii so I assumed it would work on Wii U too... I just get a message to plug my adapter in one of the USB ports but it's already connected.
Why didn't you get the one posted in the OT?

Some initial Lucas thoughts from my very poor play on a 3DS.

- He doesn't have the awesome movement he had in Brawl, mostly because a lack of momentum shift in PK Magnet. I imagine he is going to play a lot closer to Ness because of this.

-What is good about his PK Magnet, and this is a lot closer to what Ness had in Brawl that I was sad to see leave, is it delays his vertical drop, similar to Fox and his down B. This opens up some excellent approach and fake out strategies when recovering from up high.

- Even though his PK Magnet momentum was neutered, it is still a viable part of his offensive arsenal. Catches people off guard, and it quickly turns him around.

- Now that his tether actually attacks and is extremely long, I imagine it will be one of his primary offensive and spacing options. I can see multiple scenarios where it is more beneficial to use it up close vs PK Fire. This move, in conjunction with PK fire, makes me believe it will be extremely hard for some characters to approach Lucas without having to take some risk.

- His PK Fire is essentially unchange, and that's a good thing. It provides amazing momentum shifting when you are in the air, depending on how fast you are moving back, opposite the direction of where the PK Fire is being throne.This makes in an awesome and incredibly safe harassing move. You can also use this off stage along with Lucas's very good recovery options to gimp from quite a distance.

-His short game is lacking. I think the key to beating Lucas will be to get up close next to him. His nair has a very small hitbox and seems to only hit larger characters out of shield. His Dair seems like the best out of shield option but I can see a good player being able to counter this in some respects. He has a decent fair and a very good uair (although not as powerful as Ness). His bair is situational but it is very handy. His forward and up tilts are very good, much better than Ness. Is dtilt is seemingly useless now that it doesn't trip.

-Lucas was made to gimp the opponent off stage. He is floaty, and has a wealth of recovery options. I can see this being one of the primary ways he scores KOs

-His Fsmash is still awesome. Doesn't seem as powerful as in Brawl though. His usmash is great as usual, albeit situational. His dsmash is actually a very good move when used correctly, because the 3 attacks can throw some players off. I find it to be a good move to use when someone is recovering from the edge and has a tendency to recover without jumping. This is also a good move to bust out against players who attack up close very quickly, like Sonic, because the 3 hitboxes spread out give you a bit more room to time the attack correctly vs an fsmash.

- His PK2 is great. Obviously not a kill move in the same vain as Ness, but it can KO if you hit the person at the beginning of the PK2, which in actually isn't hard to do and I have already done it multiple times, because the PK Thunder goes through opponents.

-His dthrow is great for juggling, his uthrow will eventually kill. His bthrow and fthrow are excellent throws to get the player off stage.

-His PK Freeze is actually a decent changeup harassing tool. I would throw it out there from time to time. Much much better than Ness's Flash or his crappy version of Freeze. It can be difficult to time when the player is going to break out of the ice, and at high percents they will be pretty high, making it hard to follow up with a KO move, so instead I would focus on timing a PK THunder to harass and get a few extra hits when they break out.

- So how should you play Lucas. You actually, in my opinion, play him very similarly to Ness in a lot of ways. They have the same approach, they just do it differently. Maintain spacing with PK Fire and your Snake tether. If the opponent gets close, switch to your tilts, escape with a Dair and a PK fire while in the air. Don't be afraid to go off stage and gimp. If you are going to be a good Lucas player, you have to be able to play off stage consitently. Use nair when the opponent is close above you. Use Magnet almost randomly to make the opponent think about how they will aproach. Don't forget that Lucas can also reflect with his fsmash, and it is much quicker coming out than Ness's bat.

It looks like his primary killing options are uair, fsmash, and preventing the player from recovering off stage. Secondary killing options are uthrow, usmash, PK2 at beginning of attack. Situational kill options are dsmash, utilt if percentage gets high, and PK Freeze

He doesn't look to be as good as Ness overall in terms of the roster, but I can see Lucas being a better matchup option vs some characters that Ness struggles with, like Rosalina and Sonic.
I thought Dtilt was good. Spam it for 3% per hit, and then combo into the jab string to knock them away.

I thought Dtilt was good. Spam it for 3% per hit, and then combo into the jab string to knock them away.

Down tilt doesn't seem to actually combo, into itself or into jab. It's weird and I don't know what it's actually for other than being annoying. But if you hit a grounded opponent with the tip of his foot, it jab locks them. More weirdness.

Also does it look like Marth can jab into grab now?

I consider that a sign of success for you, but yews, you are too good for FG. If you can't find a match here play on Anthers

Down tilt doesn't seem to actually combo, into itself or into jab. It's weird and I don't know what it's actually for other than being annoying. But if you hit a grounded opponent with the tip of his foot, it jab locks them. More weirdness

Pretty much. You can maybe sneak a hit in here or there, but there is no knock back and it's easily countered. The 3% damage doesn't equal the risk

I consider that a sign of success for you, but yews, you are too good for FG. If you can't find a match here play on Anthers

lol, I was playing on Anthers earlier because this place was dead, and it was just a streak of losses against higher-ranked players topped off with a loss against the Dorf because I kept doing stupid shit like standing there and letting him hit me with side-B or down-B, and just missing techs and getting fucked for it.

Today just isn't a good day for me, fuck me man. I really wanna improve on my Fox because I feel like if I master him to a sufficient point I can just win against a lot of the cast.

Because that's an amazon US link, so import costs would not make that one cheap for me. I was planning to get one of Amazon uk but I found mine for cheap in a local store and it said Wii compatible on the box so I assumed it would work for Wii U as well...

Down tilt doesn't seem to actually combo, into itself or into jab. It's weird and I don't know what it's actually for other than being annoying. But if you hit a grounded opponent with the tip of his foot, it jab locks them. More weirdness.

Also does it look like Marth can jab into grab now?
Really? I did some long Dtilt chains on folks. Hard to believe they never held shield.

Because that's an amazon US link, so import costs would not make that one cheap for me. I was planning to get one of Amazon uk but I found mine for cheap in a local store and it said Wii compatible on the box so I assumed it would work for Wii U as well...
Ah. At least it is a local store. Easy to return.

So who here has decided to or is considering maining one of the 3 new characters?
I dont. Sticking with Mewtwo permanently. Unless Ridley or Wolf come out. I might check them out.

How was Hawaii?

Pretty much. You can maybe sneak a hit in here or there, but there is no knock back and it's easily countered. The 3% damage doesn't equal the risk

Same. I used to get angry, but now I just taunt at every opportunity and crouch spam. I didn't want to go to Anther's because I am trying out Ryu, and the friendlies I have played on Anther's were about as bad as For Glory.

So who here has decided to or is considering maining one of the 3 new characters?

I won't main Ryu, but he is a possible secondary. Only problem is SF + Smash inputs combined are messing me up a ton.

TWILT

Banned

No intention of dropping Shulk/Pikachu, but with Ryu, I now have 5 characters (Shulk/Pikachu/Link/Robin/Ryu) I'm probably going to stick to learning for a while (with a focus on the first two of course). I'm definitely going to stick with Ryu for a while. He's so much fun to play as and he seems pretty hard to master.

JulianImp

Roy really clicked for me despite being the one newcomer I expected to play the least out of the three. I'll definitely be focusing on him, but I can't say he'll be my main since I have like four mains so far (Pac-Man, Luigi, Ness and Sonic, in order of preference).

Anyone up for a few matches?

I can play, whether it's a 1v1 or we manage to arrange a 2v2 instead.

Crayolan

Not a main, but I might keep Roy as a backup, I like how he feels and I've been doing pretty decent with him for a new character. Kinda funny considering I wouldn't care if he never returned to the roster. Still don't care all that much.

Alright, added and hosted.

Edit: Vicious Zelda! Too bad I got Halber'd last stock.

GG's. Guessing a dc or had to leave early? Anyways I like your Roy, you started getting some reads on me which tells me I need to mix things up a bit more. Was hoping to figure out how to punish Roy's recovery but that'll have to be for another time. Once you started taking a more cautious approach and trying to jab into your strikes you did a lot better.

JulianImp

GG's. Guessing a dc or had to leave early? Anyways I like your Roy, you started getting some reads on me which tells me I need to mix things up a bit more. Was hoping to figure out how to punish Roy's recovery but that'll have to be for another time. Once you started taking a more cautious approach and trying to jab into your strikes you did a lot better.

Yeah, I had to leave before the last game, sorry.

I honestly had never thought Zelda could've been a scary character before, but man, you've made me change my mind. I was getting my approaches stuffed by your disjointed magical attacks all the time. You also made me realize I should't throw forward Bs out carelessly, since the recovery time is high and you were able to DI out of the combos with relative ease.

I think you really shouldn't have been using the phantom, though. It always felt like I could manage to avoid it merely by jumping, and left you open for far too long.

The YOLO blazer I did in midair paid off, but I also learned that while doing dthrow into blazer does work to rack damage up at low %s, it kept leaving me open to your deadly fairs, which makes it a bad trade-off.

JulianImp

edit: A wild smash ball appeared lol

That reminds me... does anyone know if anyone has even bothered sorting final smashes by strength or something? I kind of laughed when I realized that the best character in Brawl had the single worst final smash in the game (IMO).

I'll never forgive Sakurai for dropping Negative Zone, though. And maybe he could've given ZSS's FS to Falco instead.

Masked Man

I said wow
It's not hard to land neutral air, you just can't overestimate how long Lucas is stuck in the throw animation. He recovers pretty quickly. The main problem with followups is that it's easy to DI, so they'll either go forward or straight up, and there isn't time to react and still combo, so you need to make a read. Lucas has good throws, but "Lu Ha" isn't nearly as much of a thing as people seem to think it is.

I don't know, I've never had trouble using zair in this game. Gotten plenty of good snake snipes with Lucas so far.

It's interesting because he has some similarities to my other main (Palutena), so I guess I instinctively wait to input something after the Dthrow since Palutena is stuck in the animation just a hair longer. I spent some time on FG last night, and I was making some solid air dodge/DI reads, so I suppose it's just a matter of practice. And yeah, the "Lu-Hah" isn't nearly as consistent as people make it out to be.

I guess I'm just not used to the input since no one else I play actually has a Zair. :p On-stage, Zair works great as a mixup!

Lucas forever and ever <3 <3 <3

jnWake

Roy and Lucas are cool. I may add them to my rotation as tertiaries like ZSS, Falcon and Mr. G&W. Don't have time to master other character like Yoshi or ROB (where by master I mean be decent haha).

Top Bottom