• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

TWILT

Banned
GGs Beats. Sorry to leave without warning (I really should set my taunts to "Last game" sometime...), but I should sleep lol. Your Zamus is really fun to fight against as usual and your Marth's gotten better since last we faced I think.

Beats

GGs Beats. Sorry to leave without warning (I really should set my taunts to "Last game" sometime...), but I should sleep lol. Your Zamus is really fun to fight against and your Marth's gotten better since last we faced I think.

Good games TWILT! Yeah, I need to sleep too. Seems like your Shulk has gotten even better. > . <

Great games Cap'n! We should never play before bed again as a rule. Games are too intense.

Also, a little part of me dies each time I get hit by Falco's neutral A. There's not much left of me.
GGs Tipster, sorry but I gotta sleep now because I was autopiloting too much lol. No Johns though, you beat me!

Falco's neutral A isn't bad, it's just the best ground tool he has. ;__;

Also I had my control scheme switched halfway through, which was thoroughly not Kreygasm.

GGs Tipster, sorry but I gotta sleep now because I was autopiloting too much lol. No Johns though, you beat me!

Falco's neutral A isn't bad, it's just the best ground tool he has. ;__;

Also I had my control scheme switched halfway through, which was thoroughly not Kreygasm.

It's all good, games were fun.

Kreygasm was crowned today. That is enough.

It's all good, games were fun.

Kreygasm was crowned today. That is enough.
Haha, thanks. Just drives me to improve my game more, since it's clear you're picking up the slack!

Does anyone know a good capture card to record Wii U footage? I'm not looking to stream (though that would be a plus) but record my highlights vs GAF. :) I've got too much good stuff to just let sit on my storage.

Stamina matches were introduced in Melee... Why is it we STILL can't have multiple-stock stamina matches?

On that subject, why not a mode where you each pick characters until every character is chosen by someone, then 4 players have 12 characters in a match? (Think final battle of Smash Tour, but without all the bullshit) Each player would take turns selecting. After each full match, whoever has the least KOs gets first pick.

Does it bug anyone else that Yoshi's only involvement in the opening video is of him getting beaten up? No attacks, no taunts, no looking at the camera, etc. Just shots of Fox, Ike and Sonic kicking the crap out of him.

JCX

Multi-character stock would be such a great mode. Would basically be Super Tag Team Bros.

ediit: No, Sakurai knows Yoshi's place.

I was looking at the ranbats spreadsheet and some of the brackets are a bit smaller with all the X'd out participants. Also, some of the people got in matches against later-banned players; those matches won't still count right? Say player 1 (Who wanted to get as many rounds in ASAP) got in 7 wins in the first week, and by week 3 player 2 (Who followed the schedule) no longer has that many opponents to find matches against. Is player 2 doomed to fare much worse, despite possibly having the same skill level?

For multi-character stock, it would probably be best to spawn characters in reverse order to how they were picked, so you could save your best characters for last.

Say I pick Link, Mario, Ganondorf, then others...

My personal last stocks would be Ganondorf, Mario, Link, and then I would be gone.

Now Steve Youngblood and I have the exact same record, 0-5 :p

We are really, really good at Smash.

One of these days I'll "get" this game. I certainly don't have the greatest technical skill, but I feel like I understand the fundamentals. I have three big problems that I probably won't be able to overcome without putting a lot of time into the game (and my allotment of free time has only recently gone up):

A.) Lack of confidence in the neutral game.

B.) Not fast enough on the reaction time to really capitalize on unsafe moves when I see them. Like, I'll see that the opponent is falling in a helpless state, and a few ideas pop into my head, but I can't commit to the right one fast enough.

C.) Really shaky off-stage/recovery game.

Mind you, there's probably more holes than that in my game, but those spring to mind as areas where I just know that I struggle. I know a lot of this comes with time, but it is kind of frustrating when you play against someone good and are so thoroughly defeated. It's an opportunity to learn, which is great, but it's also disheartening to realize just how far you are away from legitimately being "good."

One of these days I'll "get" this game. I certainly don't have the greatest technical skill, but I feel like I understand the fundamentals. I have three big problems that I probably won't be able to overcome without putting a lot of time into the game (and my allotment of free time has only recently gone up):

B.) Not fast enough on the reaction time to really capitalize on unsafe moves when I see them. Like, I'll see that the opponent is falling in a helpless state, and a few ideas pop into my head, but I can't commit to the right one fast enough.

Mind you, there's probably more holes than that in my game, but those spring to mind as areas where I just know that I struggle. I know a lot of this comes with time, but it is kind of frustrating when you play against someone good and are so thoroughly defeated. It's an opportunity to learn, which is great, but it's also disheartening to realize just how far you are away from legitimately being "good."
Solve A) by playing pure defense and seeing how your opponent gets in on you. Solve B) by practicing one kind of punish at a time. Solve C) by chasing people off the ledge.

I was looking at the ranbats spreadsheet and some of the brackets are a bit smaller with all the X'd out participants. Also, some of the people got in matches against later-banned players; those matches won't still count right? Say player 1 (Who wanted to get as many rounds in ASAP) got in 7 wins in the first week, and by week 3 player 2 (Who followed the schedule) no longer has that many opponents to find matches against. Is player 2 doomed to fare much worse, despite possibly having the same skill level?

For multi-character stock, it would probably be best to spawn characters in reverse order to how they were picked, so you could save your best characters for last.

Say I pick Link, Mario, Ganondorf, then others...

My personal last stocks would be Ganondorf, Mario, Link, and then I would be gone.
I plan on adjusting considerations for "lost" players. Most brackets have a sharp divide in player skill that makes this a non-issue, though. In your example, player 1 and player 2 will still play each other, which will set their scores apart.

Petrie

Banned

I wish I even knew what half of this means.

I'm "good" among my friends, and I've been watching "pro" videos to try and get a better idea on higher levels of play, but it just doesn't seem to be something I wrap my head around yet.

I wish I even knew what half of this means.

I'm "good" among my friends, and I've been watching "pro" videos to try and get a better idea on higher levels of play, but it just doesn't seem to be something I wrap my head around yet.

The neutral game just refers to both players being in a neutral state. For instance, the starting position. You're standing on one side of the screen, I'm standing on the other. What do you do? You might spam some quick projectiles. You might start short-hopping around the screen baiting a reaction. You might run in for a dash attack. You might run in for a grab. You might... you get what I mean. Basically, what's in your repertoire to create opportunities to rack up damage aside from countering/comboing your opponent who is against the ropes?

The second part just refers to recognizing that an opponent has thrown out an unsafe move. It might be unsafe because of the lag involved if it misses, or it might be unsafe because it puts you in a helpless state (i.e. several Up B attack/recovery moves put you in this state when you are falling). This is just a comfortability thing with the matchup where you understand how much time you have to punish and what the best move for the situation is. As I said, I screw this up A LOT and often times whiff what I try and end up in a reversal of the situation thing.

The third just refers to mastery of the aerial game primarily and understanding how to evade/counter attacks on the recovery, but also what your best options are to pursue someone who is off-stage. For me, the only thing I can typically pull off with any regularity is simple stage spike aerial down+A's (i.e. Ganondorf and Falcon), but even those I sometimes find myself getting into trouble because I get too trigger happy and forget that a character's Up+B will often win the exchange (for instance against Link's tornado). And the further away from the stage I get, the greater the chances are that I completely botch getting back on stage. Like I'll just panic and start mashing the jump button and only do a short jump or throw grenades instead of teleporting with Shiek or be facing the wrong direction entirely when I do a Down+B with Zero Suit Samus/Shiek. You know, just stupid, boneheaded stuff.

JCX

Bracket 5 ranbats. I still need to play

Tansut(Tiberius800)
JoeInky(JoeInky)

I am free tonight until 7PM EST. PM me for matches before then.

LostAnkh

Does the Lan adapter really help? Because I'm getting some laggy matches and I don't know whether it's my connection, my opponent's connection, or Nintendo's servers.

JCX

Does the Lan adapter really help? Because I'm getting some laggy matches and I don't know whether it's my connection, my opponent's connection, or Nintendo's servers.

It's not the same since 3DS/Wii U are different products, but I definitively had more lag on 3DS/wifi than I do on Wii U/LAN. It's pretty rare that I get horrific lag.

Yes yes yes yes.

It's not the same since 3DS/Wii U are different products, but I definitively had more lag on 3DS/wifi than I do on Wii U/LAN. It's pretty rare that I get horrific lag.
TV lag adds in.

gyrspike

Neo Member
Does anyone know where I can get a nice hi-res picture of the Smash 4 Wii u English boxart (full front, side, and back)? Or can someone who owns the retail version scan and upload the full boxart for me? I bought the digital version but was planning on making cases for all my digital games just to have them on the shelf.

Guys

Can someone please link me to the rest of these wallpapers?

f_ofui_a77_u95c0.png

Thanks

Sunsoaker

Neo Member
I just want to ask out of curiousity: I spoke to PushDustin on Smash Boards, and he said that the Wii U version of the game should be open to data mining soon. Can anyone confirm or deconfirm that?

Top Bottom