• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

I don't understand why Anonymous Tipster doesn't play Marth...hmmmm
From what I play, he does well with the ability to apply pressure to his opponent almost constantly, racking up damage in bits before getting that last hit. Speaking of, Tipster you are like the only Mega Man I play who doesn't use Mega Upper, what's up with that?

I pray you never pick up Sonic, by the way. My heart couldn't take the sheer anti-hype.

I don't understand why Anonymous Tipster doesn't play Marth...hmmmm
Catch me like seven years ago in Melee and that you would see. :p

From what I play, he does well with the ability to apply pressure to his opponent almost constantly, racking up damage in bits before getting that last hit. Speaking of, Tipster you are like the only Mega Man I play who doesn't use Mega Upper, what's up with that?

I pray you never pick up Sonic, by the way. My heart couldn't take the sheer anti-hype.
I've been trying to work it into my game more, but I tend to flub the input on dash and up smash a bunch. I tend not to use the risky kill moves all that much unless it's a punish. I see a lot of Mega Man players us the down smash and up tilt liberally and it usually doesn't work out that well.

But on the flip side, I tend to see a lot of my opponents reach absurd damage and it's tough to not try to go for those home runs.

I can play a few
Alright! I'm playing kind of bad tonight, but hopefully I won't disappoint! :)

Vena

GGs Vena. I usually try to end up on the other side of my opponent if I do an aerial close to them, so be careful when throwing out a grab after I hit your shield with an aerial since it'll whiff. If you expect the cross up I think you can grab the other way out of shield, but I'm not sure.

For now I am just practicing my strings, sequences, and inputs but I'll keep in mind the cross up (though I did notice all my whiffs). First thing's first, and that's to make myself competitive on the base mechanical level. :p

I've been trying to work it into my game more, but I tend to flub the input on dash and up smash a bunch. I tend not to use the risky kill moves all that much unless it's a punish. I see a lot of Mega Man players us the down smash and up tilt liberally and it usually doesn't work out that well.

But on the flip side, I tend to see a lot of my opponents reach absurd damage and it's tough to not try to go for those home runs.

Damn, you play Melee? I was worried I'm the only one. :O

And thanks for the explanation. High damage seems to be a problem because we're all generally still learning how to kill efficiently, but also because of how damn safe AND punishable everything is.

Fuck my life, why do I main mid-tiers ;__;

Sorry Nabster, I don't mind a little bit of lag here and there, but input lag like that isn't something I can deal with.

Let's try one more and see if it goes away.

Nabster92

Man that's some gross input lag. Guess I'll have to figure out some way to get my lan adapter plugged in to play decently enough while I'm here for the week.

Edit: well at least we got some good games out of it. Think that's about all I should play for tonight. Still gotta work tomorrow.

Man that's some gross input lag. Guess I'll have to figure out some way to get my lan adapter plugged in to play decently enough while I'm here for the week.

Edit: well at least we got some good games out of it. Think that's about all I should play for tonight. Still gotta work tomorrow.

Yeah, I've got to work as well, but eh. I just wasn't going to play a whole stock in 10 FPS.

Good stuff though, your Rosie's still really good!

I liked that you saw that dash attacks were picking up the metal blades and that you were catching me on landing with up-smash so you adjusted accordingly.

Anyway, good games! We'll have to try again when we can sort out the connection.

Nabster92

Yeah, I've got to work as well, but eh. I just wasn't going to play a whole stock in 10 FPS.

Good stuff though, your Rosie's still really good!

I liked that you saw that dash attacks were picking up the metal blades and that you were catching me on landing with up-smash so you adjusted accordingly.

Anyway, good games! We'll have to try again when we can sort out the connection.

Definitely. I'll be back on my own connection next week again. If I play anymore until then maybe I'll just play on the gamepad near the router or something.

I still feel like I have a lot to learn about that matchup and I've played nobody that's nearly as hard to play of a mega man as you are. We shall have to play enough for me to dissect him thoroughly.

Anyways, good games as always!

Cronox

Banned
So guys, I just had the most satisfying set of matches in for glory in all my time playing this game so far. I'm playing Bowser against a guy who's actually pretty alright, but he changes character each match, so I have to basically relearn the matchup every round. Usually goes, he gets in some hits, then I figure out whatever his current shtick is and bring it around. Anyway, he took off my first life really quickly as DK, and I was a little miffed, so I decided to basically spend the rest of the match side-b'ing him. Thing about Bowser's side-b (grab to body slam for those who don't know) is, it's satisfying as hell to land, and I think it's Bowser's best mind-game sort of move - it rattles opponents to be manhandled like that, and for high damage too...

I literally could not believe that I got so many side-b's on him. I still have old habits from previous smash games where I want to aerial right before I hit the ground to cover my landing, I whiff and give myself extra landing lag all the time. But this guy was the opposite end, he was so afraid of landing lag he basically came like a baby to my waiting arms. I was barely able to see through the match after it cause I was still tearing up laughing. He got all salty and mirrored my Bowser shortly after, and got the same side-b treatment for it before he left in shame.

Maybe a "you had to be there" moment, but you can decide for yourselves when I upload it tomorrow...

simtmb

Decided to try this game out and don't really have anyone to VS. Without much lag that is, as I have so far only gotten paired up with overseas players. So any AUS players? If so, please add me as I'm looking to get into the game.
NNID: SimTMB

So guys, I just had the most satisfying set of matches in for glory in all my time playing this game so far. I'm playing Bowser against a guy who's actually pretty alright, but he changes character each match, so I have to basically relearn the matchup every round. Usually goes, he gets in some hits, then I figure out whatever his current shtick is and bring it around. Anyway, he took off my first life really quickly as DK, and I was a little miffed, so I decided to basically spend the rest of the match side-b'ing him. Thing about Bowser's side-b (grab to body slam for those who don't know) is, it's satisfying as hell to land, and I think it's Bowser's best mind-game sort of move - it rattles opponents to be manhandled like that, and for high damage too...

I literally could not believe that I got so many side-b's on him. I still have old habits from previous smash games where I want to aerial right before I hit the ground to cover my landing, I whiff and give myself extra landing lag all the time. But this guy was the opposite end, he was so afraid of landing lag he basically came like a baby to my waiting arms. I was barely able to see through the match after it cause I was still tearing up laughing. He got all salty and mirrored my Bowser shortly after, and got the same side-b treatment for it before he left in shame.

Maybe a "you had to be there" moment, but you can decide for yourselves when I upload it tomorrow...

Thanks for sharing. Good read!

Petrie

Banned
The neutral game just refers to both players being in a neutral state. For instance, the starting position. You're standing on one side of the screen, I'm standing on the other. What do you do? You might spam some quick projectiles. You might start short-hopping around the screen baiting a reaction. You might run in for a dash attack. You might run in for a grab. You might... you get what I mean. Basically, what's in your repertoire to create opportunities to rack up damage aside from countering/comboing your opponent who is against the ropes?

The second part just refers to recognizing that an opponent has thrown out an unsafe move. It might be unsafe because of the lag involved if it misses, or it might be unsafe because it puts you in a helpless state (i.e. several Up B attack/recovery moves put you in this state when you are falling). This is just a comfortability thing with the matchup where you understand how much time you have to punish and what the best move for the situation is. As I said, I screw this up A LOT and often times whiff what I try and end up in a reversal of the situation thing.

The third just refers to mastery of the aerial game primarily and understanding how to evade/counter attacks on the recovery, but also what your best options are to pursue someone who is off-stage. For me, the only thing I can typically pull off with any regularity is simple stage spike aerial down+A's (i.e. Ganondorf and Falcon), but even those I sometimes find myself getting into trouble because I get too trigger happy and forget that a character's Up+B will often win the exchange (for instance against Link's tornado). And the further away from the stage I get, the greater the chances are that I completely botch getting back on stage. Like I'll just panic and start mashing the jump button and only do a short jump or throw grenades instead of teleporting with Shiek or be facing the wrong direction entirely when I do a Down+B with Zero Suit Samus/Shiek. You know, just stupid, boneheaded stuff.

This was actually super helpful. Thank you.

Fuck the lip, it doesn't even look like there's one there.

What has reddit exploded over?
As it turns out, Apex co-owner Alex Strife has been sexually harassing many a female member of our fair Smash community, bullying Chibo of ClashTournaments, the whole thing regarding the transportation of Japanese players to Apex in 2010, expressing his disdain for players without a care for consequences, often burdening others with his duties due to depression and refusing to step down because of it, and pressuring others who are involved with Apex to stop streaming or promoting Project M.

This started yesterday, and today it has been announced that Alex Strife has stepped down from his position at Apex. Lots of drama going on, you know?

Vena

As it turns out, Apex co-owner Alex Strife has been sexually harassing many a female member of our fair Smash community, bullying Chibo of ClashTournaments, the whole thing regarding the transportation of Japanese players to Apex in 2010, expressing his disdain for players without a care for consequences, often burdening others with his duties due to depression and refusing to step down because of it, and pressuring others who are involved with Apex to stop streaming or promoting Project M.

I don't think Project M is at all related to this, that's been because of Nintendo's partnership, all of APEX doesn't want to get into deep shit over it or possibly jeopardize the sponsorship. The whole explosion on reddit has been more over the sexual harassment... particularly of minors, which is entirely disturbing. TOs have been pressured, probably needlessly, to remove Project M streams as it seems Nintendo didn't give a shit about it being on BEAST V but there's something to be said about trying not to step on toes with regards to this whole thing.

Of course the narrative has started to shift to getting Nintendo to pull their sponsorship so that PM comes back... to which I say: holy shit.

jorgejjvr

Sure, I can play a few right now. You host.

Edit: Er, are you still there? I posted only a minute after you.
Sorry I was watching anime lol I'm getting on

Edit: I made a room flux

Counter fail lol

Not getting any of my stages xD

Omg the tree xD

What's up with the odd selection of stages?

Nabster92

Woah, actually got to the Amazon page for the GC adapter at a time it was in stock. Too bad I already bit on the Mayflash one. Aaaaand it's out of stock again as I'm typing this.

At least there's some form of restocking happening. Hopefully it's not all going to scalpers again.

I recommend you get accustomed to Smashville, Town And City, Delfino Isle, Lylat Cruise, Duck Hunt and Wuhu Island. Sometimes your opponents will pick those stages, and you'll be relatively inexperienced.
Don't forget Halberd, Castle Siege, Skyloft, and Windy Hill Zone. I tend to pick those stages a lot because I know more than a few people on here are inexperienced with the weirder stages.

Man, fuck the methods for getting the custom moves/Mii outfits and hats. Fuck them so hard. Is there any simpler, sure fire way of getting loads? Or do I just have to keep playing Classic like a shmuck?

I didn't care until I found out there is a totally bitching Wizard's hat...

JoeInky

Fuck halberd, I hate that stages hazards and janky ass edges and platforms.

Also why is this the 4th Smash Bros. game and the grab button is still only a macro instead of a specific grab input.

Yeah, I sure love trying to tether the ledge but my thumb is on the stick a bit too much so the game decides to make me do a FAir.

E: Windy Hill Zone isn't legal is it? The fucks up with that?

Man, fuck the methods for getting the custom moves/Mii outfits and hats. Fuck them so hard. Is there any simpler, sure fire way of getting loads? Or do I just have to keep playing Classic like a shmuck?

I didn't care until I found out there is a totally bitching Wizard's hat...

Trophy Rush was how I got my Custom Moves since it's more likely to give you Customs for the character you're playing. And since it took so long to get them all I got the Hats alongside them.

Crazy Orders is a good alternate as well if you're good at Home Run bat abuse.

I think farming Classic and All Star is too energy consuming. You have to do higher intensity and be good at scumming the reward roulette for it to be worthwhile.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Fuck halberd, I hate that stages hazards and janky ass edges and platforms.

Also why is this the 4th Smash Bros. game and the grab button is still only a macro instead of a specific grab input.

Yeah, I sure love trying to tether the ledge but my thumb is on the stick a bit too much so the game decides to make me do a FAir.

E: Windy Hill Zone isn't legal is it? The fucks up with that?

I've been asking people why Windy Hill isn't legal, or at least being tested. Did any tournaments bother testing it? I know the wheel on the right and short blastline on the left are probably the reasons, but I think it's a fairly fair stage.

I hear Skyloft brought up a lot as well. I guess transformations having walk offs being too common is the main reason why it's not used. But yet Delfino, Castle Siege, etc..

Top Bottom